• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Oh so your saying after Metroid Prime took her Phazon suit the phazon suit becomes alive and tries to hunt her down:confused:.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
No, I thought that Prime had completley melded with the Phazon suit, and would look like Samus, only in a black suit, thats all, but if thats what you meant to say, then yes.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Breaking News!

http://cube.ign.com/articles/461/461851p1.html

Multiplayer mode has been confirmed! However, much is still unknown, including even how many players there can be.

IGN says that one source (it's in the article) includes characters playing as either Samus or Metroids.

One thing I'd like to see is a sort of co-op mode, where the Samuses go around an area, sort of like Prime, but each one can only hold a certain amount of upgrades (or certain upgrades are built into the different characters), making them all have to rely on each other to solve puzzles. Then at the end would be a boss battle. I've also thought of each Samus starting in different rooms and must race (included with obstacles) to a large room with just one of a special weapon (like the Wave Beam or Super Missle), and then they have a deathmatch. A multiplayer mode is definitely going to be cool, though.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Interesting! I was really skeptical about how a multiplayer mode could be effectively implemented, since the idea of four Samus's running around is just plain ********. BUT! It seems Retro Studios has figured out the perfect solution. Let one player be Samus, and everyone else be Metroids. I can already imagine this as being similar to Pac-Man Vs. One player is Samus, while everyone else are Metroids who try to hunt you down. The longer Samus stays alive, the more points she earns, but when one of the Metroid players finally kills her, that player gets to take control of Samus for the next round. At first I was thinking this might be way too easy for Samus, since all she has to do is freeze the Metroids and hit them with a missile... but I can think of many ways to make it more challenging for Samus, such as her only having one life bar, a limited amount of missiles, or not having the Ice Beam! This way it would become more survival oriented. You'd have to use strategy to stay alive such as outrunning the Metroids, or stunning them with bombs when they latch on. I think it could be pretty fun, though hopefully they'll have some other multiplayer modes as well.

para trooper

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought the idea of four Samus's running around sucked too, but then again i thought the idea of four zeldas running around sucked too.

one samus and three metroids seems awesome. I also thought ited be cool if the four interactive players were all different. One samus, one metroid, one infected? space pirate...one something else.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
4 Samus' would have worked fine for me. Just look at the Halo multiplayer, it only has one character and it kicks ***.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
True, but Halo doesn't quite have the long running continuity to uphold like the Metroid series does. Plus, in the regular campaign you could play on co-op mode, which essentially means that from the start there at least two "Master Chiefs". It's not that unfeasable to assume that there are more.

At this point, I wouldn't really care too much if they made a multiplayer mode in Metroid Prime 2 with multiple characters using Samus. But it's a little too late to try to justify there being two people with Chozo suits if they were to implement a co-op mode like Halo had. UNLESS they make it a part of the storyline, by having something like Samus discovering an ancient Chozo text that mentions the existance of another "Newborn", and then in the hugest coincidence this side of Tallon IV, happens to meet up with that Newborn. Whatever.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Either that or there are people from the federation Samus works for. Even if they don't have the Chozo suits and stuff they still have their own suits and weapons.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
May I remind all of you it's a rumor?

I don't really care if there's multiplayer or not, Metroid has always been about being all alone in a planet hunting down creatures, a single player experience. More human characters would RUIN a Metroid game, so eliminate that option. As for Samus vs. 3 Metroids, that seems ok, but I still wish they concentrated more on singleplayer.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Yes it's defintely not 100% safe to say that MP2 will have multiplayer, but it seems to me that Retro are/were almost forced to include it in the game.

I'm not that sure but I'm mostly against having multiplayer in MP2, with the exception of having a co-op mode.

Arrow did make the 3metroids vs. 1samus sound a but more fun, but still... I'm sure it's fun enough but it aint gonne keep me and my friends up on late nights.

And I hope by god that there wont be a deathmatch mode. Imo the Metroid Prime engine would be horrible for a typical FPS deathmatch, the lock-on, the unbalanced weapons, etc. I just couldn't imagine it as being fun.

IMO Retro needs to think VERY CREATIVE. Did you know that one of their senior programmers was THE guy who created the very first Capture the Flag mod for Quake? They need be as innovative as this guy was back then.

I got a few solutions myself:

For co-op: Just let the other player(s) be a different (colored) Samus. Why have some other lame Bounty Hunter when we all want to be Samus.
NO story! No extra story that samus needs a helper because the enemies are getting too strong. Metroid is about being THE ONE... Samus is the near divine being who has to beat the evil ALONE.
Just include co-op and that's it! Almost let it looks like it is a glitch. Just like Halo did.

Imo it would be just as cool to have 3 and 4 player co-op. And then more players the stronger enemies.

Multiplayer modes:

For the typical multiplayer modes:

Deathmatch: No (see above)

Capture the Flag: Haven't decided... it could work

King of the Hill: Nah... same reason for Deathmatch.

Original multiplayer modes

Now this is what I hope Retro will make. These ideas aren't the best, but you get the idea

~~Morph Ball Race~~

A random scenario could be that some small bugs steal an important item and you need to catch them, however the flee into an underground tunnel, and soon you will be chasing them in long narrow tunnels, inside of cylinders and other objects. There should be obstacles and enemyes to distract you.

~~Gunship Traveling~~

Instead of video sequences you will now be controlling the gunship and travel in space at high speed. Gameplay elements could be: Finding locations / enemy air battles / enviromental hazards.

Anyway... my point is to say that the mutliplayer mode in Metroid Prime HAS to be new and innovative imo. I'm sure Retro easily could make something like that... but it's a matter of IF they would want to make it.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Those ideas are good even though I don't like the idea of a multiplayer Metroid game. Forget my last post. I think they should have us travel in the gunship...a little. not too much but just a little. Why should they even include multiplayer mode when the other Metroid games don't. It sort of ruins the "Metroid" environment.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
~~Morph Ball Race~~

A random scenario could be that some small bugs steal an important item and you need to catch them, however the flee into an underground tunnel, and soon you will be chasing them in long narrow tunnels, inside of cylinders and other objects. There should be obstacles and enemyes to distract you.
This would be sweet! Great idea MK! I can just imagine long complex obstacle courses you must navigate as fast as possible using bomb jumps, your boost, and magnet tracks.

I also agree with what MK was saying about deathmatches probably not working out too well, what with the automatic lock-on. I'm not sure a gunship mode would be all that great either. They'd have to create an entirely new aspect to the game engine to do such a thing... and unless they put a lot of time into it (as in, the gunship was also used frequently in single player)... it would probably end up being lame.

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
I've never been a big advocate of multiplayer in MP2, but some of these ideas sound awesome.

I especially think that 3 Metroid VS 1 Samus would be awesome, especially if you could explore the entire world map. Just think about how much hunting would be involved!

I also like both of your ideas MK, it would be great to fly Samus's ship for once.

I was also wondering if anyone had a link to the MP2 footage from E3 (free). I think I saw that IGN had it, but it's only for IGNsiders...

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
The Morph Ball Race would be awesome; I'd love playing that, but they'd need a lot of races to keep my attention for a long time. A deathmatch mode would only be good for me; because, I'm getting tired of TimeSplitters 2's mode. I need a new deathmatch game!

The only reason I'm getting worried now is the similarity somebody brought up with the 3 metroids vs 1 Samus and Pac-Man VS. Suddenly I'm thinking of thoughts in which the multiplayer will be just like Crystal Chronicles. I shudder at that thought.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I personally think the 3 Metroids vs. 1 Samus would be a horrible idea. As a Metroid the only thing you can do is latch onto Samus and suck her life force.

WOW. That's some fun stuff there. Deathmatch would be a lot more fun with friends in my opinion. The spooky music and eerie feeling of the levels would make it one of those games where you would yell "HOLY CRAP!" or something like that when you'd come around a corner to be face to face with another Samus or Space Pirate or something.

Even though it's not one of my favorite modes in game that have it, a "find the artifact first" type mode would work for the Metroid series.

I don't really care much though, Nintendo doesn't seem to have multiplayer games down like they used to. Now a days they only have a few games like Mario Kart that live up to today's standards... mostly which is LAN. 4 Player can extremely boring, especially when there are no bots in the game. LAN though makes it so much more fun. Having more than 4 people is a great thing, I'd love to see it on more games.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's a very basic problem with any deathmatch modes, or even find the artifact type modes like Cashed was describing: the reason all of the rooms in MP looked so graphically amazing is because it would only have two loaded at a time... the room you were currently in, and the room you just came from. All of those doors you would walk through between areas weren't just for nostalgia sake. They also served the purpose of triggering the loading of new rooms. The same goes for some of those repetitive short hallways (and this is also why if you ran through some of those hallways too quickly, the game would freeze occasionally). Now, if the game engine can only handle having two rooms loaded at a time without freezing, how would it possibly be able to have four rooms loaded at once, or even more if you were able to play with four players? The only solution would be to have all multiplayer action restricted to one single area, or possibly two connected areas, at most. Well, I guess they could also just uber-simplify all of the textures for multiplayer and/or make arenas specifically for multiplayer that aren't very graphically complex. But... that would be lame. So anywho, that's why I think modes like the Metroid Vs. (3 mets vs. 1 Samus) or Morph Ball Race are way more likely, since they would require much smaller areas.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
A lot of old games and even some of the newer games still do take quite a hit in textures and overall graphics in multiplayer. I only seem to notice it in split screen games though.

And Arrow, who says it has to be more than one or two rooms for a death match level? If the map is too large and you are limited to 4 players then there isn't really a point in that. It's where you say "Man this is boring" because you can't find any action in the level.

Meh.

Kaboom

Smash Ace
In my opinion, Metroid Prime would have been greatly improved if only it were third person. From the first person perspective, it gives a sort of claustiphobic (sp...) feel, and it'd be more like a Metroid game from third person anyway.

I haven't read any of this thread, so forgive me, but if MP2 were third person I know I'd be more eager to play it... Graphics are beyond amazing though.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Kaboom, a first-person mode was need for Prime. They wanted to signify an ominous/claustrophobic atmosphere. You're supposed to feel like you're all alone, but things can always happen.

Arrow, there are tons of places where Prime could have had a possible location for a deathmatch without huge amounts of rooms. And Prime 2 could have the same idea with large areas with obstacles in the way. Prime's multiplayer would be different from the other shooter multiplayers, because Prime has always been about puzzle-solving/passing obstacles with shooting involved. So they wouldn't just be empty rooms, but instead like the space station when you evacuate with the beams falling apart and fires breaking out and morph ball and spidertrack pieces.

Sanguimancer

Smash Apprentice
I read a really good suggestion about MP2 multiplayer on the IGN boards. Someone suggested that if it were a deathmatch type deal then it should take place between the federation or whatever the humans are called and the space pirates, not including Samus at all. I think this is the only way that they could really keep the feeling of Metroid intact and include a deathmatch.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Wouldn't it ruin the Metroid series. Samus was the one. It would ruin the story if there were people from the federation since Samus always worked alone. Samus was the only one that survived on missions against space pirates:rolleyes:.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Argh sorry, I was sure I was on the Metroid board ;)

Here ya go:

By koam

It sure took me a while, but here it is, my 5000th post. I have decided to post about the history of Retro Studios because they have created the only game that, in my opinion, beat out Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the greatest game of all time. Of course, this masterpiece is Metroid Prime and a well deserved sequel is underway. So here goes.

The history of Retro Studios

Dispite popular belief, Retro Studios is not a company that just surfaced out of nowhere. In fact, most of the staff members come from well established companies. The founder of Retro Studios, Jeff Spangenberg, used to work for Iguana, a small company who was bought out by Acclaim. Iguana is responsable for the early versions of NBA Jam, as well as the hit game Turok: Dinosaur Hunter for the N64; which is not to be confused with the ill-fated Turok Evolution. In 1997, Jeff filed a lawsuit against Acclaim Studios for breach of contract and was fired. I'm not 100% sure on this but it appears the breach was a result of Acclaim being able to buy stock options from Iguana but after they bought a sufficient amount, they fired Jeff.

Jeff Spangenberg didn't stop there. On December 1st, 1998, Jeff started a new company named Retro Studios and consisted of 25 employess. Howard Lincoln, NOA chairman at the time, helped fund the Austin, Texas based company. The team of 25 consisted of members from high profile companies such as:

- Iguana Entertainment - (Turok 1 and 2, NBA Jam)
- Valve Software - (HalfLife)
- id Software - (Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein)
- Looking Glass - (Thief, System Shock)
- EA Canada - (NHL, FIFA, NBA Live)
- Origin Systems - (Ultima)
- Terminal Reality - (Fly, Nocturne)
- LucasArts Entertainment - (Star Wars games)
and of course,
- Nintendo of America - (Don't know which staff members made the jump)

As you can see, Retro has a good solid ground and is far more established than say, NSpace. Retro began immediate work on 5 games for the Nintendo gamecube, 4 of which were cancelled.

Thunder Rally (Car Combat)
Apparently, this game was supposed to be a Twisted Metal like game. Here are some quotes:

"We could have literally blown [Twisted Metal Black] away on the level of interactivity the game could've had. Much more strategy in manipulation, avoiding, changing world objects to modify gameplay, and so on," a source said. "We would have had many more weapons than Twisted Metal Black, with multiple functions including counters, additive effects, complementary effects, etceteras."

"The Retro title was, more than anything else though, designed from the ground up to be multiplayer-ready -- and more specifically, Internet compatible. The team hoped to combine split-screen four-player battles with Internet play. Unfortunately, though, the Internet functionality never came together as planned. "We never got details from Nintendo on the Internet end," a person working intimately with the project confided. And then the axe dropped."

In Game:
Pic1
Pic2

Artwork:
Pic1
Pic2

NFL Retro Football
Considering they hired people form EA Canada, this game could have been pretty great. Too bad though. No info on this game.

1st Person Shooter
Canned obviously, but it seemed very intersting. Especially since Dave Kirsh (Capture the Flag mod for Quake) was working on it. Here's a quote:

"Piecing the clues together, we contacted Zoid for comment about his future plans with Retro, which, it seems, are exactly as we'd expect. When asked if he would be working on a first-person shooter after beginning work at Retro in March, Zoid responded, "I will be focusing on network design and implementation. My game design experience is certainly specific with goal-orientated teamplay in first person shooters." This definitely suggests that Retro is in the works with a first-person shooter and it adds even more weight to the rumors that the company is preparing an online strategy. Mix in Retro's recently registered Internet domain names, www.retroworld.net and www.nintendoonline.com and we begin to grasp the bigger picture of Retro's -- and Nintendo's -- future plans"

Raven Blade
The most intriguing and promissing of the cancelled games. Here;s some info from the game from an IGN preview:

Raven Blade pits players in the role of a hero knight on a quest to find a magical weapon of the same name. The epic tale takes the main character through populated villages, ancient ruins, dungeons and even a city that floats in the blue sky above.

The game's hero can use weaponry and magic to aid him on his long quest. In traditional RPG style, items are amassed by killing enemies, and can also be gathered through various shops in-game, including interaction with a blacksmith. The acrobatic main character can, according to a brief snippet of rendered video released by Nintendo, flip-kick and cartwheel in battles against armies of demonic goat-like beasts, sorcerers and grotesque, overgrown birds. The title's nemesis is called 'Beastlord,' which pretty much says it all."

Features:
-A third-person action-RPG set to the backdrop of an ancient world
-An epic quest involving a powerful, magical weapon called Raven Blade
-Play as a knighted hero who can wield weapons and use magic
-Interact with townspeople, blacksmiths, magicians, a king and more
-Engage in real-time 3D battles as opposed to turn-based ones
-Amass items, weapons and magic
-Travel to cryptic ruins filled with demonic beasts or to a city that floats high in the sky above the land
-An advanced 3D engine allows for super-realistic high-polygon models, beautiful lighting effects, cinema-quality animation and more
-Single-player adventure

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5
Pic6

Nintendo eventually asked for Retro Studios to can (or hopefully, put aside?) all these projects to work on Metroid 4 (which later became Metroid Prime). Since then, the development studio grew to almost 100 people and the Metroid game saw various changes. Here is what the game looked like in the first ever Gamecube showing at Spaceworld 2000.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Months later, at E3 2001, we were shown this new artwork.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

But then, things started to look bad. It seemed like Retro was having problems and the conferences with Nintendo grew. In addition, the were rumors of massive firings within Retro, about half the staff was cut. Then IGN gave us this info:

"Uh-oh -- not again. It seems Texas-based Retro Studios only makes headlines with disappointing news, and today's is no different. Insiders have revealed to IGNcube that the company's two under development projects Raven Blade and Metroid Prime are not progressing as planned due to engine shortcomings and trouble realizing gameplay mechanics up to what Nintendo expects of its second-party contributors."

Look at how bad the Samus model looked now:

Pic3

To add to the bad news, since Nintendo didn't like the direction the project was heading in, they decided to make the game 1st person which cause a stir of emotions from Metroid and Nintendo fans. Making matters worse, the new batch of screens was horrendous:

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

But then, the new batch of screens started to show some promise. The morph ball was also shown for the first time. In addition, it was announced that the game would be seen via Samus' visor and the game would be a first-person adventure.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

And then, things started to look WAY better. Samus looked normal again and the game looked solid.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5

In the end, Retro Studios delivered a solid title. In fact, Nintendo was so impressed, they bought Retro and made them 1st party. However, Jeff Spangenburg was left out of the picture:

"Nintendo announced today that it has purchased $1 million in Retro Studios stock, making it the majority holder of the development house's shares. The purchase will buy out Retro Studios' current owner, Jeff Spangenberg, who, according to Nintendo, has decided to pursue new business interests. Nintendo made the decision to purchase Retro based on the development studio's work on Metroid Prime, the upcoming first-person adventure game for the GameCube."

In addition, Retro went on to win various awards including:

Console First Person Action Game of the Year, Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
Game of the Year, Game Developer's Choice Awards
Excellence in Level Design, Game Developer's Choice Awards
Rookie Studio of the Year, Game Developer's Choice Awards
Editor's Choice Platinum Award, Electronic Gaming Monthly
2002 GameCube Game of the Year, GameSpy
Game of the Year, Edge Magazine
Best Adventure Game, Edge Magazine
Audio Achievement of the Year, Edge Magazine
Koam's best game of all time award, Koam.

In April of 2003, Nintendo announced a new president for Retro Studios:

"Nintendo of America today announced that its wholly owned software company Retro Studios has been appointed a new president. Michael Kelbaugh will lead the Texas-based developer.

Kelbaugh joins the firm from Nintendo of America, where for the last 15 years he has held the position of director of business development. Kelbaugh replaces Steve Barcia, who took over the studios after original owner Jeff Spangenberg was bought out and removed by Nintendo.
Many ex-Retro employees have alleged Barcia's mismanagement of the company was one of their primary reasons for leaving."

The future of Retro looks very sweet. The previous projects are still cancelled as far as we know but the sequel to Metroid Prime is well underway. Supposedly, the game will also be the first Metroid Title to feature multiplayer aspects and judging from Retro's innitial intentions, it wouldn't surprise me if the game went online. Here's the quote from IGN:

"No details were given about the project, but one employee under the condition of anonymity did note that team members were throwing around the idea of including a multiplayer mode."

Here are some screens from Metroid Prime 2.

[Just look at the first page of this topic instead ;)]

I cannot wait, my frothing demand for this game is increasing.

Retro Studios Homepage

Supernova

Smash Ace
i personally LOVED metroid prime. that was one freaking awesome transition from 2 to 3-D. the controls were totally freaky at first, but give yourself about 15 minutes, and you're a natural.

Multiplayer? personally, i was joyed to see that the big N didn't put in a multiplayer. IMO, it would've been a waste of time and space. there are PLENTY of multiplayer games out there on all consoles and pc, including the bond games for the cube. and once again, i'd like to see nintendo spend all their time making another kick#$# one player game, rather than split their efforts and dive into the multiplayer realm. it's not needed.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
I totally agree with that. I mean, with Rebel Strike, they had an entire other programmer team working on the multiplayer aspects and missions. They simply didnt have enough time to do both. Thus the result was they spent heaps of time on one player and it turned out awesome! Multiplayer is V.cool too! Prime should never be multiplayer. I mean what, you could choose Samus, a yellow generic space pirate, a green generic space pirate, a red generic space pirate etc etc, and even a geemer to fight as. That would kinda suck.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
They wont neglect the single player game...

I don't like the sound of Metroid multiplayer because I can't imagine it being class AAA fun multiplayer like in nintendo's other multiplayer games.

However I do believe that Retro will be able pull both a polished multiplayer AND single player experience.

Metroid Prime was actually made pretty fast compared to a game like Halo(yes I know it got ported from pc to xbox blah blah), and now they've had the Metroid prime engine to work off.

No wonder that we heard in recent news that Metroid prime 2 will feature noticeable improved graphics. It's because they got "plenty" of time to polish the game.

plus the Retro team has grown a lot in size since the release of Metroid Prime.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think Retro had been working on Prime 2 way before Prime was released. I just think Nintendo wanted to look at Prime before they shipped it to stores.

As for multiplayer, we can't exactly guess what it'll be. We really don't even know the storyline of Prime 2. Maybe there are some super secrets in the one-player mode that allow Retro to pull off a multiplayer.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by SabreAnt
...and even a geemer to fight as.
I'm there!

Yeah, I'm really not worried about the multiplayer either. I personally can imagin it being AAA quality. Granted they are going to have to work the game engine to support it but in the end Retro can get it right.

And as far as a "traditional" Metroid game not having multiplayer, does that half of the game really have to parrallel with the singleplayer? One of the multiplayer greats of N64 era was (of course) Goldeneye. Nobody worried about the characters going against eachother there.

I wouldn't worry...

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Ok now it sounds like a REALLY stupid idea. I wouldn't like it if people can use every small creature that do exactly nothing but walk in circles. Also if there was Omega pirate or Elite Piates then it' unfair too. Space pirates are too weak and Metroids could freeze in ice beam. If they had Ridley I don't think it's fair to use a flying space pirate that is the leader of all but Kraid or Mother Brain. Er if they had Kraid then it only has a few moves and none can follow plus if they had Mother Brain for some reason then Mother Brain does exactly nothing but it's mutated form is too big. I don't know how else they can make multiplayer without any body from the federation or more than 1 Samus' running around.

[PHAT]Timmy

Smash Rookie
The 1st Metroid Prim was great, hopfully the 2nd will be just as good. And I don't care about the multiplayer, just as long as the single player is good!

Bowser87

Smash Lord
More news coming from Retro! They are planning to release the game at the end of 2004 so as to end the Metroid saga on Gamecube in a magistral way. That means they might not show a lot of things during E3 2004, but personnally, I like it better. The longer it takes them, the better. It shows that they're not going to rush it, that they're actually trying to make it perfect. It should be ready for Christmas anyway.
They also that, when they're done with MP2, they'll start working on their first game for the N5, which won't be a Metroid.

E

ExMachina

Retro will think of something to balance out the multiplayer. Perhaps advantages/differences will be toned down and not as wide-ranging as in the 1p mode.

It worked in TimeSplitters 2... well, except for that d4mn monkey... :p

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
POSSIBLE SPOILER

The following post is purely speculation, and can't be confirmed in any way... but if I'm correct, it's potentially a major spoiler.

So I was really bored today, and was checking out a couple Metroid sites, and found one that was hosting the MP2 trailer. I had seen it before, but it had been awhile since I saw, so I decided to watch it again. When it got to the part with the monster thing pushing Samus into the ground and then roaring at the camera, I noticed something I hadn't noticed any of the other times I had seen it. So I paused the video and went back frame by frame... and I think I figured out the creature's identity. Look very closesly at its hands. The left one is hard to see, but it appears to be a long spiny appendage, while the right one is... Meta-Ridley's head!!! I swear it is, watch the video frame by frame when it shows the close up of the creature. You can distinctly make out the shape of his right hand being that of Meta-Ridley's head. I hypothesize that whatever this creature is, it is at least partially a transformation of Meta-Ridley (the right arm is his head, the left arm looks like it could be his tail). My current belief is that it's some sort of combination between Ridley and a Chozo... perhaps a Chozo ghost possessed the broken remains of Meta-Ridley.

Anyway, that's my theory. I don't know if this idea has been presented before... if so, sorry for not having heard about it yet =P

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
No arrow that hasn't been mentioned yet....

However I don't think it's Meta-Ridley's head. I can defintely see that it's got a shape that reminds of ridley's head, but it looks more like a long crocomire head from Super Metroid ;)

Here, i uploaded the frame:

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Arrow, what website was that that showed the movie? I still haven't seen it! The idea that it could be a Chozo ghost in the remains of Meta-Ridley poses some questions: could there be anymore possessed creatures like Thardus or some Space Pirates?

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
Arrow, can you share the site that has the MP2 trailer?

I know www.gametrailers.com has it, but I don't remember seeing that shot in it, and their's is short without that creature.

BTW, it DOES look like Ridley's head ;) ...

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Raccoon: The teaser can be found here: http://www.norfairdepths.com/mp2tease.qt

MK: I'm in agreement that it more closely resembles Crocomire than Ridley... but I still think there's a chance it's Ridley. If you compare a dinosaur skull to the actual dinosaur, it usually looks somewhat similar to that (extra "eye holes")... so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this creature's body is made up of Meta-Ridley's skeleton. At the very least, I think it's obvious that the creature is a transformation of something. Maybe it starts as a Ridley-like creature and is able to transform into the bipedal menace we see in the video.

I do not think the creature is Metroid Prime. I believe that if the game takes place on Tallon 4 again (which I'm betting it will, since Samus still needs to blow it up... she has a habit of doing that on her second visit ;) ), Metriod Prime will be in the game (whether or not it will be the last boss, I don't know), but will more closely resemble Samus (through fusion with the Phazon Suit).

Top Bottom