• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

wing zrow

Smash Lord
who says you cant do the screwball atack in prime?Not me for one!Think about the screwball attack homeing in on a swarm of warwasps going into 3rd person and samus pulling off some mad combos:crazy:

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Time for lots of responses to various comments...
Anyway some info leaked from NOE. Metroid 6 should according to the rumors be called "The hand to the Fire".

I say that it's some ********. Retro has just begun on the new metroid and I can't see how they can made up a title yet, if this is anything it's the working title.
Actually, according to PGC the working title is now "Metroid Prime 2". I doubt this will stick, but it does lead me to believe that Metroid 6 will take place on Tallon IV again. I agree that a mission to K-2L would be incredibly awesome, but I think the series has a lot more to benefit from a return to Tallon. First of all, the 100% completion ending to Prime. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it, but it definitely screams the need for a direct sequel that takes place on Tallon IV, and happens before Super Metroid. Also, Samus has a habit of visiting a world twice, and then escaping it before it blows up. So if she visits Tallon one more time, we can have our true Metroid-esque escape ending, and watch the fireworks ;) And lastly, maybe there could be a Meta-Kraid this time around :cool:
I want my real Space Jump and my Screw Attack back!!! Why couldn't they just make the jumps go third person, like the ball?!? And where did she misplace her Hyper Beam???

They can keep the psuedo-freestreamload in; maybe upgrade it to a true streamload. And I want a real Space Jump and the Screw Attack. I also want them to refer to the Maru Mari as the Maru Mari!!! (I'm a Metroid Purest, sue me). I liked the extra visors, I want more of those, and I want a whole slew of new weapons. If you include the diagonals, you could have up to eight visors and gun enhancements. Also, bring back my Speed Boots!!!

One thing that slows me down is the fact that Samus is quite slow. They could have easily had the Speed Boots in there, just double her walk speed and have her flash after awhile (Okay, it isn't that easy, but come on!). I also want the super jump (run till you're flashing then press down...), crystal flash and turbo bombs back (Charge up a shot then go into the Maru Mari to drop five bombs at once).
I agree with you on some points, and disagree on others. Personally I think the Space Jump is fine how it is. Having it give you unlimited jumps like it did in all the other Metroids wouldn't really work for Prime. It would seem sort of unbalanced to me. Even though Prime wasn't a first person shooter, it was still a 3D world... and I dunno... it just doesn't seem like it would fit well.

On the other hand, Metroid 6 DEFINITELY needs the Speed Boots. It would be so simple to add, and give the game a lot more depth, IMO. For instance, incredibly fast bosses where speed is the only way to survive. And of course, hidden rooms that can only be broken into by speed boosting through the walls. But I'm not sure about the Boost jumps and tackles. They kind of fall under the same category as the Space Jump of hard to implement items.

As far as the Hyper Beam, Metroid Prime was before Super Metroid, so Samus didn't have it yet. Come on, and you call yourself a Purest? ;) And as for the Maru Mari, I kind of wondered why they ever stopped calling it that... but it really isn't that big of a deal to me. Morph Ball is a lot easier to remember anyways ;)

Lastly, the Screw Attack. I was going to disagree with you until I read this:
who says you cant do the screwball atack in prime?Not me for one!Think about the screwball attack homeing in on a swarm of warwasps going into 3rd person and samus pulling off some mad combos
When first trying to imagine a way to pull off the Screw Attack in Prime, I couldn't picture it working very well. But when I read wing zrow's post, suddenly I thought back to SA2: B and using Sonic's spin attack to home in on enemies. If it switched to third person like that, it might actually be pretty cool. My only concern is that things might get kind of frantic in the middle of large battles if you keep switching back and forth from first person to third person. Oh well.
I am voicing a "NO" to multiplayer.
As I said in my earlier post, I am too. Multiplayer would ruin the series. But I disagree on the multiplayer Zelda. Four Swords was actually kind of fun, IMO.

alien270

Smash Lord
I don't really know about the screw attack, it seems a little iffy to me. I would definitely support speed boots though. I didn't think Samus was THAT slow, but the world is very very large and I spent a lot of time just retracing my steps to get to somewhere I've already been. Some extra speed would have been nice since you can't warp like in Zelda. Also, they should do away w/ the 5 missile consuming super missiles. I ran out too fast fighting Chozo ghosts. Especially since I can only remember two missile stations, but I suppose the replenishing save stations made up fo that.

inferno

EnFuego
BRoomer
Originally posted by GigaFalcon
Well,the last one was Metroid 4...so :confused:
Your not understanding.

Metroid-First game made
Metroid II- Second game made
Super Metroid- Third game made
Metroid Prime- Fourth game made
Metorid Fusion- Fifth gamemade
Metroid(Insert title here) Sixth game made

Understand???!?!!

I have somewhat of an idea on how Metroid Multiplayer would be made.

There would be a single player mode, and it would be like Metroid Prime. Perhaps a few upgrades, of course ;)

Then there would be the multiplayer mode, where it explains how another person like Samus came. Trained, ect...

Then they would be assigned on a mission, (different from single player)

Thats the best thing I can come up with. It solves KI's problem with "Your the only one that can save the day" because it would specificly tell you that there is another person that is aiding you. The only thing I can come up with, thats a somewhat solution to that.

A battle multiplayer just wouldnt work. Locking on to them would be death easy for who ever is faster at pushing buttons.

Eclipse

Smash Journeyman
ahhh... finally another game to look foward too (pkmn saph&ruby)(wind waker)(crystal chronicles) anyway but i can't wait for it. Metroid Prime had to be the greatest game possible ever. I mean when you think you are far,(when you first start) you have like 5% done, and that's it. I finally beat it but it took so long, (still working on Fusion though(just got it) well great news, thanx MT

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
~In-depth E3 Trailer~

Disclaimer
First I would like to say that this post is based on mattcoz's post from the metroid board. He made all the gif, captured the pictures etc. So a whole lot of credit goes to him. Be sure to WUL him if you ever visit the IGN metroid boards. Also you can click on a lot of the animated gifs to see them in a bigger version.
Enjoy!

The Trailer
The trailer was shown on May 13th during the Nintendo press conference. Even though it was only a 13 seconds clip, it still made the crowd burst out in cheers. The trailer shows Samus rolled out of ball form, and "flying" through the air. When she lands, a major foe attacks her. Throwing her, pouncing her, the foul creature uses all kinds of attacks. It seems as if Samus stands no chance against the creature. What can we say? An amazing different trailer! And now we need more info!

Spring Ball

At the beginning of the trailer we see Samus jumping out of ball form. But could this be the spring ball?. She seems to take off vertically from the ground and there is no bomb explosion to propell herself that way. This might indicate that we will see the Spring Ball upgrade from previous Metroid games once again.

The Environment

Overall the environment is very Tallon Overwolrd combined with Chozo Ruinesque and looks to be in a canyon of sorts. Not really part of the action but no less interesting is the blue transparent tree. Is nothing like any kind of tree or plantlife we've seen before in previous Metroid games. One theory is that it is a disguised creature, some say that it's just a Phazon infected tree. In the second pic you see the ground with a weird looking pattern, not sure if that's naturally occuring or artificial. If you notice in some of the clips you can see something emanating from the ground, much like what would happen from Phazon.

Samus Aran!

This is our first look at our heroine in all her glory. She is back in her Varia Suit so she must have lost the Gravity Suit at some point. This was something that we assumed would happen but now we know for sure. From this small clip it certainly looks like the lighting is a little better than in Prime, so that's a good sign.
We don't see Samus using any attacks, new or old, due to being totally owned in the entire video.

Creature Morphing

Now this is **** cool, the effects on the creature are amazing. They're using a cool kind of silhoette shading that is usually used for cel-shading, but they gave it a cool red glow. What exactly is happening is hard to say though, maybe it's similar to the stealth pirates in Prime, but this guy seems much more bad*ss.

Creature Throwing

Wow, Samus just got owned! Imagine being in first person while that's happening, I think that thing is gonna give me nightmares. If it can do that to Samus, its gotta be some sort of boss, I mean I sure hope that's not a normal enemy, what would happen if there were more than one? *gulp*

Creature Pouncing

This thing has some major hops, it'll be hard to keep up with it. It seems when it lands on Samus it gives off an electric charge of some kind, that's pretty insane.

Creature's Weakness?

It looks like we've found this beast's weak spot. It has a bright red spot on its abdomen that looks like it could be some exposed flesh. This is the same weakness that the Torizo has actually. It seems to beat like a heart.

Creature Goes In For The Kill

And this is how the video ends, the creature dives in assumingly to finish off Samus. What happens to our heroine? Who knows, but it'll be fun trying to speculate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unanswered Questions

What is this creature that Samus encounters? Some say that its a Chozo, some say that its a Pirate, others say that its a morphed form of Metroid Prime. We don't really have much to base our theories on, but what we do know is that it'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Where does this clip take place? Is it Tallon IV? Is it a new planet? What we've seen definitely looks like it could be Tallon IV, but maybe in an entirely new portion of the planet.

What will the gameplay be like? Ahh, the most important question of them all, unfortunately with this not being a gameplay video we can't really get any concrete answers from it. We'll have to just be patient as we wait for more footage, screenshots, and details from Nintendo.

Discuss!

Bowser87

Smash Lord
I think that monster looks a lot like a....Space Pirate mixed with a Chozo! Doesn't it? Or maybe it's just a Space Pirate....A Phazon Pirate?
That Spring Ball seems to be more like a Booster Ball. Did you notice the glow on it?

And for the rest, well I think the gameplay will be exactly like MP, and of course it's still going to be on Tallon IV, but in different areas.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Originally posted by Bowser87
That Spring Ball seems to be more like a Booster Ball. Did you notice the glow on it?
Yeah but still how would that explain that it takes off vertically from the ground?

And yeah I believe it takes place on Tallon IV too, or some planet very related to Tallon IV or Phazon.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
It looks awesome!Sadly I cannot see the E3 trailer of Metroid Prime 2 because I don't have QuickTime!, if anyone can send me a .mov or a .wmv file of the trailer please do so by PM'ing me or E-mailing me.

The graphics look a lot like Metroid Prime, that's good.The big red monster looks very cool.Maybe this thing will be even cooler than Ridley or Kraid, who knows!

Multiplayer Mode featured in Metroid Prime 2?Interesting.I can't decide wether this is good news or bad news...probaply good news.;)

Once again, another game I can't wait for to play.But I think we won't play this one until the end of 2004...

Link_in_park

Smash Ace
:eek: This Metroid game looks extremly gothic and creepy. Metroid has always had a sort of creepyness too it. But not that kind. And I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet (I haven't read the whole thread) but there will be a GBA counterpart. It's title is Metroid Zero Misson.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Yeah a whole lot of people are argueing wether it is a remake of the first Metroid game or a whole new metroid game(then probably a prequel, hence the "Zero").

Unfortunately it doesn't really interest me that much, since I will never get a GBA.

But from what i've heard it should be pretty much done, and Metroid Prime 2 won't be out until late 2004, so I hope for the mny metroid fans that nintendo release MZM alone, and not delaying it because they want to launch it together with Prime 2.

vantendo

Smash Ace
As excited as I am about this game, I'd like to see Retro wait until 2005 to release MP2 as a launch title for the GCN's successor. A killer app launch title is something the GCN didn't have and MP2 would be perfect.
I waited 7 years after Super Metroid to get Prime and Fusion, I could wait 2 years for MP2.

Then again, I want to see what else Retro can do. They should pick up Ravenblade or make a new Kid Icarus. But hey, Metroid Prime 2 is also good.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
It depends on when the Gamecube 2 will launch, and if the next metroid game(the one after prime 2) will use the same Prime engine.

If we get metroid prime 2 in early 2004, then retro might be able to pull off a third metroid in late 2005(if that's when the Gamecube 2 laucnhes).

Or a whole other team might be working on the next metroid to make a release at Gamecube 2's launch...

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
all that stuff like the creature throwing samus and pouncing on her seem to be in a cutscene of a sort. how do we know that this can actually happen in-game?

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Well it is a cut-scene or rather a teaser, cause we might not see anything from the teaser in the game at all. They usually just show us some teaser to get us all hyped about the game.

Though it could be a cut-scene for the beginning of an awesome boss fight.

Or a twist to the story. After Samus is beaten uncontinous(sp) by the creature, she wakes up and realize that most of her upgrades are gone. Where is she?

See? It can be many things.

What we really need is some info!!

But I don't think we will get any unti after the summer.

CaptainPhoenix

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking we're gonna see a new character,due to the fact that there might be multiplayer,and this new character's gonna come and save her...or something.:)

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
What a strange lookin' boss character...

To me... that creature looks like a Chozo in Pirate armor technology, the pirates aren't that advanced I know, but if they get there hands on Chozo technology they tend to make powerful stuff through reverse engeniring. IMO, I think that that boss is a rouge Chozo who has sided with the pirates.

But that's just me... to be honest I really don't know what that is, but I hope that thing doesn't do in samus aran! :shyguy: :beezo:

Bowser87

Smash Lord
The Space Pirates ARE that advanced. But I think the Chozo in the video was corrupted by Phazon. They wouldn't side with the Pirates, all they want is to kill whoever profanes their shrines, or whatever other holy places.
And GigaFalcon, if there's something which every real Metroid fan should fear the worst, it would be the introduction of a new character, especially if he saves Samus and plays an important role. It would simply ruin everything. They CAN'T put in another character, it would be an insult to the fans!

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
do you guys think that metroid prime will be back in this one with "the suit"? cause if you guys watched the ending of metroid prime on 100% completion, then you'd see. it's possible!!

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
Plasma Beam BUMP!

#1. I think it's been long enough and it's safe to say I'll never get all 100 items, so can someone post in spoiler format what happened in the true ending, 100% completion?

And judging by the trailer, I think Samus may have a new rival, although it doesn't look like a Space Pirate....

Bowser87

Smash Lord
SPOILER

In the 100% ending, at the end of the credits, you see some phazon, and then, a black arm, much like the phazon suit, comes out from it and there's an eye in its hand!!!! This could be the rival you mentionned, if there is one.

END OF SPOILER

Bowser87

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Fox and Falco
guys, i dunno, but this topic seems interesting and informative.

http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=35785&topic=9525350
Sure, but that has more to do with the next Metroid for GBA (Zero Mission?) I think. Metroid Prime 2 is the sequel to Metroid Prime (Obviously), and it takes place between Metroid I and Metroid II. So there's no X. This is the real, official storyline:
Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2 (Probably), Metroid II: Return of Samus Aran, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Metroid Prime is one of my most fav games so I'm gonna buy it. The red creature is Metroid Prime because after Samus defeated it, it lost all the phazon and changed to that.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Originally posted by MEWTWOMASTER2002
Metroid Prime is one of my most fav games so I'm gonna buy it. The red creature is Metroid Prime because after Samus defeated it, it lost all the phazon and changed to that.
Erm... or not. You can't just say things and then believe they are true. One thing is guessing and another thing is knowing by researching the topic.

No one knows what the creature is so anyone can be right, but usually you don't show an important enemy in the very first trailer.

To me it looks like some over powered mix between a chozo and a space pirate. But I really think it's just a new original monster like Thardus was.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by MEWTWOMASTER2002
Thanks for the spoiler warning, buddy. -_-'

MK, you bring up something very much possible... Maybe the Space Pirates found a way to fuse themselves with the Chozo (much like the Phazon fusing in MP).

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
actually I was guessing CSHD. It could be a chozo ghost taking over a space pirates body:). I like to guess. can someone e-mail Nintendo asking what it is?

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
I might have a educated guess as to what it is...

I believe this is a black post, so I can use black text to the fullest... here's what I think in spoiler form!

Ok, if you see this you could be spoiling yourself! Ok, I believe that the creature is a hybrid form of Metroid Prime! Metroid prime is now made of 4 seperate parts, Metroid, Human, Pirate, and Chozo. Let me explain why I think this. The human and chozo are from Samus' power suit, and from what the storyline of Metroid tells us, the suit is like a secound skin, and Samus has Chozo Blood fussed with her own. So Samus' power suit is very much like a part of her body. Now, durring the battle with the omega pirate Samus manages to kill it but unfortunetly the omega pirate falls on top of her and starts to ooze out Phazon at an alarming rate.

Since Samus' suit is a part of her it could have asorbed some pirate DNA (The Omega Pirate was fussed with Phazon, so the Phazon must of had some Pirate DNA in it) once the phazon corupted her power suit! So with the Phazon suit in hand samus now suposedly has Pirate, chozo, and human DNA in that suit. Now she defeats Metroid Prime's final form and Prime goes crazy! It then attaches a tentical to Samus (I believe that it was taking back all the Phazon that surrounded it so Samus was the perfect target) and if you watch closely, you see an after image of her get asorbed into that huge blob, that after image was the Phazon suit (Chozo, Pirate, and human DNA included) and after the colapse of the cradle, Metroid prime although weakend managed to evolve into that said hybrid being of Human, Chozo, Pirate, and Metroid!

Phew! That took a while, I honestly hope I'm wrong though, because if I'm not I could of just spoiled everything! But there's still that long wait until Prime 2 is out, so all could be ok for me! :shyguy: :beezo:

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Heh Phill have you cleared the game at 100%?

V Highlight

You get to see this hybrid you are speaking off. In the mass of that big Metroid Prime blob a black arm(phazon suit arm) reaches up, the camera then zooms in and you can see that there is an eye on the hand.

Though it can easily just a "Hollywood" ending, not really going to be used for anything in the future.

But I still stand by my words that this creature is not Metroid Prime, but a very very powerfull creature that can kick Samus' *ss :crazy:

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Well, regardless of the ending, finishing Metroid Prime makes you want Metroid Prime 2 even more. Trust me, I just finished the game today! And I don't know if this would be considered a spoiler, but the first incarnation of Metroid Prime was much harder than its second form. The only problem I had with the second form was finding it with the correct visor.

Well, 2004 isn't too far away. It seems like E3 2004 will be the best E3 for Nintendo ever. Think of it, Metroid Prime 2, Wind Waker's sequel, 100 Marios, Geist, Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Custom Robo, Giftpia, as well as the new hardware or whatever it is that'll be announced in the spring, plus Killer 7, Baiten Kaitos, Resident Evil 4, and a whole lot more; and that's just GCN!

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Well that might be your opinion but I thought the spider form was easier and fighting the second form while getting the right visor is easy if you know the pattern. Warning: A spoiler for anyone who hasn't beat Metroid Prime's second form: The visor's pattern is combat, x-ray, thermal, combat, x-ray, thermal...and goes on in that pattern.Well that's it.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
What I'm really curious about is what role, if any, Metroid Prime( as in the final boss of the first Prime) will play in this game, I mean, the ending was ominous with the hand popping out of the phazon puddle and everything, but i'm sure Retro will think of something and pull a Fusion scenario on us.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
that wouldn't happen. Metroid Prime 2 takes pace before Metroid II and Fusion is after Super Metroid so there would be no x parasites.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
There might be a few X parasites in Prime 2, of course it would probably be a cutscene with some Metroids eating them.

I'm wondering if the planet will be the same as in Prime. I don't know, because if the creature at the end of the game ends up at the same intelligence as Samus, we could probably expect the climactic battle on another planet.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean it in that sense, I meant it in the sense of there being a clone of Samus on the loose, don't you think I know the Metroid timeline? I know there wouldn't be an outbreak of X parasites yet. But if the Chozo-esque creature IS Metroid Prime, then it wouldn't exactley be a clone of her. But basicaly I meant that there would be a clone of her, hunting her down, LIKE the SA-X did in fusion.

Top Bottom