• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

meteors in brawl

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
No, because then people new to the series would not get the referance to what a meteor is...

You can't compare it to something that does not exist.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well.. following what you say.. If its acts AS an meteor smash but is in fact NOT a meteor smash.

They can't act as something that doesn't exist right? So they must be in the game.

Or something :p

But it says
"You can use it to perform Meteor Smashes! Incredible!"
So.. If it is a Meteor Smash itself then yes they are in the game.

Whats a meteor exactly? ><

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well.. following what you say.. If its acts AS an meteor smash but is in fact NOT a meteor smash.

They can't act as something that doesn't exist right? So they must be in the game.

Or something :p

But it says
"You can use it to perform Meteor Smashes! Incredible!"
So.. If it is a Meteor Smash itself then yes they are in the game.

Whats a meteor exactly? ><
A meteor smash is a move that sends people down, as to kill them when they are recovering, and that can be meteor cancelled, which is basically just jumping right after you are spike, seeing a short animation, and then living

Your recovery moves can be used to meteor cancel to, I am not sure about the airdodge =\

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
lol xeno guard u always up. n yea they wouldn't remove the original meteor smashes. especially since these look real weak to me. like C.Falcons stomp. an easy meteor cancel, mayb even easier

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the game and remove meteor smashs either.. Though Sakurai himself can... But I also doubt that Sakurai would do so :p
I don't think anything people liked in melee will be gone, if something is removed, then mabey we'd see another method or manuver at least. I'm pretty sure we have nothing too worry about

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
lol xeno guard u always up. n yea they wouldn't remove the original meteor smashes. especially since these look real weak to me. like C.Falcons stomp. an easy meteor cancel, mayb even easier
I am up and random freaking times there's no denying that... :laugh: ... :(

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
These jump meteor attacks aren't something to make a big deal about since it has to be timed perfectly in order to make it happen. Also, to me, it seems to me that you can punish the person for even trying to do it several ways as well like utilt, up-smash, shield grabbing, and others. There's that, and from the looks of it, it could be meteor cancelled.

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
interesting stuff. Looks easier to recover from for the attacker since a bop on the head gives you a boost up. Maybe lower priority or lower range than a regular spike?

Imagine this: If you attack someone who is standing on solid ground + fastfall = CHAIN STOMP

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
i doubt it'd be dat hard to time it right. now the hard thing would be to get so **** close to they head that they'll let u stomp on it.

oh n does dis have to be directly on the other person head. if so dis is like a bootleg meteor spike for people that don't have one lol

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
These jump meteor attacks aren't something to make a big deal about since it has to be timed perfectly in order to make it happen. Also, to me, it seems to me that you can punish the person for even trying to do it several ways as well like utilt, up-smash, shield grabbing, and others. There's that, and from the looks of it, it could be meteor cancelled.
It will be a very interesting time testing this out on Dec 3rd

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
interesting stuff. Looks easier to recover from for the attacker since a bop on the head gives you a boost up. Maybe lower priority or lower range than a regular spike?

Imagine this: If you attack someone who is standing on solid ground + fastfall = CHAIN STOMP
Didn't think of that. Sounds awesome. However, if the person knows what he/she is doing, he/she will punish you for it.

Zindura

Smash Cadet
There's also the question of how close you have to be to the target to jump on them...

This could lead to some pretty funny aero-acrobatics... and maybe if the meteor smash isn't too powerful, it could even be used as a form of recovery with your partner in Team Battle!

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
well if we have this straightened out now thats good. I wanna see more manuvers that will be in brawl lol :3

Linari Sabre

Smash Apprentice
umm... werent they supposed to emphasize on air battles, oh remember how they got rid of mario fair and replaced it with docs fair they just might replace meteor smashes not sure enough. this just might improve ones air game.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
umm... werent they supposed to emphasize on air battles, oh remember how they got rid of mario fair and replaced it with docs fair they just might replace meteor smashes not sure enough. this just might improve ones air game.
Mario's fair only sends people up if they're on the ground. If they're in the air, Mario slams them down, and can be meteor-cancelled. In a way, they kind of combined the two fairs.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
lol they aint gonna replace meteor smashes it will take to much away from the game. and not having meteor smashes had nothing to do wit improving the air game. it jus mean u won't get yo *** knocked down as often.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Only thing I hope is that this isn't a technique every character can use.

But yeah, the original topic is pretty much useless because we already saw a screenshot of DK meteoring Wario. So much for that.

Anyway, this technique will be extremely situational from the looks of it.

-Get right on top of your opponent in the air.
-Presumably a small hitbox, if any "hitbox" in that sense at all...
-> Your opponent has to LET you use the move because you'd definitely have to get close and it could easily be canceled by any somewhat fast attack.

So in the end, it seems like a pretty advanced technique to me, kinda like effectively using wall-jumping to aid your recovery.

TheSeraph

Smash Rookie
the website said that they would act as meteor smashes. do you think that the regular meteor attacks will be removed?
I think they meant that you can use your opponent as a spring to jump off him/her then make that a combo by following up with a meteor smash. I dont think that the bounce IS the meteor smash...

Hi, by the way. Just call me Seraph, new to the forums. :)

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Only thing I hope is that this isn't a technique every character can use.

But yeah, the original topic is pretty much useless because we already saw a screenshot of DK meteoring Wario. So much for that.

Anyway, this technique will be extremely situational from the looks of it.

-Get right on top of your opponent in the air.
-Presumably a small hitbox, if any "hitbox" in that sense at all...
-> Your opponent has to LET you use the move because you'd definitely have to get close and it could easily be canceled by any somewhat fast attack.

So in the end, it seems like a pretty advanced technique to me, kinda like effectively using wall-jumping to aid your recovery.
i agree with you for the most part, however, i do think this is not character limited

also welcome theseraph, though we all know Swordmasters Pwn assassins

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
[...]and maybe if the meteor smash isn't too powerful, it could even be used as a form of recovery with your partner in Team Battle!
Now THAT would rock. Using Melee physics, you could technically jump out under your partener, have him bounce, then meteor cancel with your double jump back towards the stage and use your upB to recover. Brilliance!

I'm hoping these don't become the new meteors. It just wouldn't feel the same jumping on my opponent to meteor him then it is stepping on his face and having him get electrocuted, then watching him plummet to his death in 0.3 seconds (Ganon dair, anyone?).

EDIT: Fawriel is right. We've already been shown a picture of DK meteoring Wario, on the Skyworld stage update. As for who exactly can use this technique, well, dosn't matter too much to me. A good opponent won't ever let me jump on his head, so I probably won't be using this technique too much anyway.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Jigglypuff Top Tier anyone?

Seriously, with Jiggly's amazing air ability, he can just meteor smash sombody who is recovering just like that.

ShoDan

Smash Apprentice
look if someone is trying to get back on the platform, and you try to jump on him and he uses L dodge, then couldent you just use your secon jump to get him then

The Newb

Smash Ace
My thoughts.

Maybe a different way to edgeguard - Get invincibility by jumping on and off the edge, like you'd do for some shine spikes, and do it when they get close.

Does it go through shields? If it goes through shields that'd just be crazy.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Sounds like this footstool jump could bring more strat, skill, combos, and even maybe some new advanced techs to the game! :) Great update!

Fawriel

Smash Master
See, Jigglypuff is one of those characters that make me think this is not possible for every character.
She's too light, too floaty.

Even if she does have the ability, she won't usually get to use it because it's hard to land on a character who falls more slowly than her... and if you do get into the position that you're Jiggly and close to an enemy stationary in the air, any other attack would probably be more useful than the Footstool.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Does no one else see the problem with this? One of the cheaper things about Fox (when compared to everyone else in Melee) was the fact that his shine spike didn't put him in any risk, since it pretty much halted aerial movement.

Two months ago or so, I started a thread talking about the possibility of meteors giving you a vertical boost. I loved the idea of meteoring Samus w/ falcon, which is normally hard since she recovers so low.

The idea basically consisted of some meteors (mostly stomp type) would give you a vertical boost if you connected. The risk would be that if you went low and did it, and MISSED, the lag would prevent you from recovering (it would be the same as going low and meteoring now). This would REWARD those who took the risk of going down to try and meteor someone by giving them an easy recovery, as well as a 99% chance of killing the victim.

But today I opened up Smash Bros. DOJO, and although at first happy, I am suddenly afraid. This system takes away the risk of meteors!!

If I try and "meteor" you with a jump, and I miss, I just double jump instead. There's no risk for the attacker!

How many times have you seen Falco go after someone with his spike in a way that he couldn't recover himself, but hit the person and won the match? How badass was that? My system would reward players like that (i specifically remember PC Chris trying this after first stunning the victim with an SHL).

-------------------------------------------------

Also, i have a question. Do you guys think this can be done after you've already used your second jump?

hXd

Smash Cadet
They're definately not removing Meteor Smashes.

Remember how in Melee only a handful of characters had really good spikes? My personal belief for the inclusion of the footstool jumpis so that every character can spike. It's actually not a bad idea.

Top Bottom