• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

METEOR OR TRUE SPIKE?!

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
Will it have to be tipped to work? Or are you gonna have to hit it from the hilt like in melee?

regal68

Smash Cadet
Do you think it'll be easier or harder to hit than Marth's?
Looks to be easier. Marth's does a lot of janky things and people are still surprised when PPU and such get weird spikes. Roy's also seems pretty jank but it is a lot easier to ensure that you are on top of your enemy than exactly one sword length away.

regal68

Smash Cadet
Dammit lol :C it seemed like he could get dtilt dair pretty easy, and i gues his utilt>dair won't kill likely because it doesn't send them at the spike angle...

Waait, Oro/Shadic: Did Roy turn around his dancing blade for the final hit, was that another dancing blade, or was that a new neutral b?? Also is TONYHAWK still godlike?

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Dtilt dair is pretty % and character specific. It works for quite a while on heavier characters and fastfallers, but isn't always very optimal.

Blade/Tip Dair hardly kills because of its really bad growth. It's a really good setup move though.

Roy did turn around during DED. :)

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Dair seems more more combos and as you said set ups anyway. Being able to kill with it would be a nice occasional bonus. Any word on Roy's recovery. Were it as bad as in melee he would have the worst in PM.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Dair seems more more combos and as you said set ups anyway. Being able to kill with it would be a nice occasional bonus. Any word on Roy's recovery. Were it as bad as in melee he would have the worst in PM.
It looked in the video like it's more or less the same as far as I can tell

regal68

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the responses.

To Oro/anyone else:

Does his counter still scale damage/KB and does it still do the stupid semispike (plsyes)?

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the responses.

To Oro/anyone else:

Does his counter still scale damage/KB and does it still do the stupid semispike (plsyes)?

If they keep the old counter stats, he'll have the strongest counter in Project M.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So does this mean that Marth will move down in the tier list? :troll:

Hard to say. Fundamentally Marth's tools just work so much nicer, both in a spacing sense and in a killing sense. He has the range to kill opponents on platforms with FSmash tippers, the grab range and the gimping tools in Dtilt on fast fallers. But with the way that Roy is shaping up? He'll be a completely different kind of beast. Again, I see him as being a lot more combo-oriented, perhaps even more "powerful" than Marth is whereas Marth is a lot more safe.

Tough to say all around though.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Hard to say. Fundamentally Marth's tools just work so much nicer, both in a spacing sense and in a killing sense. He has the range to kill opponents on platforms with FSmash tippers, the grab range and the gimping tools in Dtilt on fast fallers. But with the way that Roy is shaping up? He'll be a completely different kind of beast. Again, I see him as being a lot more combo-oriented, perhaps even more "powerful" than Marth is whereas Marth is a lot more safe.

Tough to say all around though.
You know I was trolling, right?

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know. XD Even if you had the troll face. But to be honest it is an honest question that depending on how Roy turns out, it could take some wind from the sails of Marth as far as battling spacies go, IMO.
Mmmm, well I am curious to really try him out. I'm thinking of playing as him in Melee just to get the feelz for him. It's hard for me to really say anything and what he possesses because we've barely seen anything on him you know?

GeZ

Smash Lord
I didn't know. XD Even if you had the troll face. But to be honest it is an honest question that depending on how Roy turns out, it could take some wind from the sails of Marth as far as battling spacies go, IMO.
I really disagree. On a fundamental level Marth has the advantage because smash, especially melee, is a game very movement centric. Fox is one of the best characters not only because of his amazing moveset but more importantly the great degree with which he responds to controls. So Roy will be cool, and fun, he may even be very good, but Marth won't have anything to worry about because he's got a better dash, and run speed, along with his tipper combo and kill game, which lends itself to more survivability. Roy will be cool, but the nature of Melee makes it so he almost can't be better than Marth. Definitely different, but doubtfully better.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I'm not Sethlon but I do play a lot of Roy. He feels really good, but not as good as Marth in my opinion. That could just be my inexperience though.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I thought Roy's DD game was better than Marth's and his fall speed allowed him to move faster overall. However, both his weight and fall speed made him really susceptible for... well... just about anything.

That is probably where Marth will outshine Roy. I don't expect Roy's recovery to improve a lot, but his onstage game might be better than Marth's overall. Roy's Dthrow and Uthrow were and are likely really really good throws. Hopefully he doesn't get bodied by the floaties like he did in Melee. Samus/Peach/Jiggs vs Roy before was garbage.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Actually I'm curious now, is Roy faster than Marth? It always seemed like Marth had the faster Run speed and a fantastic dash while roy had the fall speed. Any guru around here wiling to spit out some numbers or knowledge?

Nemiak temp

Smash Apprentice
It still looks like his edge guarding game is pretty bad though. He has what? Neutral B offstage? I'd like to see a smash where Roy shines (not really Roy is ass, even in his own game his stat growth sucks) but I find it pretty unlikely he'll ever even be viable without something so simple as an edge guarding tool.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Marth runs faster.
Thought so. Thanks.
And I agree, Roy looks like he may have some trouble. The only thing I can think of that'll give him an edge is his faster fall speed. Maybe he'll be able to run tight and fast on your opponent and have edge guards by virtue of oppressive chasing off stage.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it, Marth will be difficult to surpass for Roy because Marth's sweetspots are at the tip. This allows Marth to play pretty aggressively without over-extending.

As far as I could tell from the small amount of footage, Roy's attacks seem to be a little quicker than Marth's (faster fall speed, overall less landing lag, endlag and maybe/hopefully start-up lag as well). So Marth can space from a distance and be on the offensive while Roy has to get in there to get things going, to offset his inherent spacing disadvantage to Marth, it would be a fitting design to increase his speed to counter-balance that disadvantage.

I hope that's how he works at least. It'd be tight, he's all about the fire and hastiness, impulsion, recklessness. He just wants to get in there and hit 'em, and he'll stitch together the combos just fine. In contrast, Marth is calm, collected, calculated and efficient.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it, Marth will be difficult to surpass for Roy because Marth's sweetspots are at the tip. This allows Marth to play pretty aggressively without over-extending.

As far as I could tell from the small amount of footage, Roy's attacks seem to be a little quicker than Marth's (faster fall speed, overall less landing lag, endlag and maybe/hopefully start-up lag as well). So Marth can space from a distance and be on the offensive while Roy has to get in there to get things going, to offset his inherent spacing disadvantage to Marth, it would be a fitting design to increase his speed to counter-balance that disadvantage.

I hope that's how he works at least. It'd be tight, he's all about the fire and hastiness, impulsion, recklessness. He just wants to get in there and hit 'em, and he'll stitch together the combos just fine. In contrast, Marth is calm, collected, calculated and efficient.

But Roy has t3h ph1r3!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Roy hopefully won't be the game's biggest combo food. The worst combination of size, weight, and fall speed.

Top Bottom