• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

METEOR OR TRUE SPIKE?!

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
It looked like it in the turbo vid. Of course it could just be their timing in cancelling the move but it seemed more like they could chose whether to angle it or go horizontal.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
He's always been able to angle to move - That was the one cool thing Blazer had over Dolphin Slash in Melee. (Besides OHKOing Jiggs, obviously.)

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Slightly perplexed: Which downward sending attack are we talking about?

The dair, Up Smash, or the DED?

JUGGERNAUT043

Smash Apprentice
Looks to be easier. Marth's does a lot of janky things and people are still surprised when PPU and such get weird spikes. Roy's also seems pretty jank but it is a lot easier to ensure that you are on top of your enemy than exactly one sword length away.
very true, BUT doesnt it kinda make the whole spacing thing kinda pointless? i mean if u gotta hug him to get it wont alot be able to just simply outrange u before u land it?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
very true, BUT doesnt it kinda make the whole spacing thing kinda pointless? i mean if u gotta hug him to get it wont alot be able to just simply outrange u before u land it?
Roy and Ike both follow that system with all their sword attacks, it gets a little dumb in certain aspects to me when I overanalyze it (in certain Ike situations) but it's unique and still requires the mental process of spacing for either getting super close or very tip for just safeness/weak hitting edgeguard/combo extension like the weak Dair to Bair they mentioned.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I really disagree. On a fundamental level Marth has the advantage because smash, especially melee, is a game very movement centric. Fox is one of the best characters not only because of his amazing moveset but more importantly the great degree with which he responds to controls. So Roy will be cool, and fun, he may even be very good, but Marth won't have anything to worry about because he's got a better dash, and run speed, along with his tipper combo and kill game, which lends itself to more survivability. Roy will be cool, but the nature of Melee makes it so he almost can't be better than Marth. Definitely different, but doubtfully better.
So he won't be able to compete with Marth :( ?

GeZ

Smash Lord
So he won't be able to compete with Marth :( ?
Actually since I've gotten my hands on him I've somewhat reversed this opinion. He functions so very differently on a fundamental basis that he's no longer considerable as Marth with worse sword implementation, and really goes far. In the Marth v Roy matches I've participated in, myself playing Roy, I've beat Marth players who were significantly better players than me.

So, Rejoice! :drflip:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Actually since I've gotten my hands on him I've somewhat reversed this opinion. He functions so very differently on a fundamental basis that he's no longer considerable as Marth with worse sword implementation, and really goes far. In the Marth v Roy matches I've participated in, myself playing Roy, I've beat Marth players who were significantly better players than me.

That's amazing.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

HYPE

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
But why doesn't he have the sheath? That's bugged me since Melee.
And could someone explain to me the difference between a meteor and a spike?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Meteors send the opponent straight down and can be meteor cancelled. Spikes send you downwards at more of an angle, and if you get spiked you're going down for the full duration of the hitstun.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
But why doesn't he have the sheath? That's bugged me since Melee.
And could someone explain to me the difference between a meteor and a spike?
Roy doesn't have a sheath because of something about it messing up during play or something like that.

regal68

Smash Cadet
Meteors are usually stronger than spikes, but these can be meteor-cancelled.
This is wrong. Not calling you out just don't want to spread misinformation. Listen to the post below.

Meteors send the opponent straight down and can be meteor cancelled. Spikes send you downwards at more of an angle, and if you get spiked you're going down for the full duration of the hitstun.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Despite the fact that they can be meteor cancelled, most meteors do indeed have higher base knockback than spikes. Think about Ganon's Dair compared to Falco's, for example.

Top Bottom