• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight the "noob" character?

Haji

Smash Rookie
So I have a few friends that play in tourneys and they say that Metaknight is the "noob character" because of his Mack Tornado and because of his quick attacks and fast recovery time. They say that a "noob" can just pick up Metaknight and become tourney worthy.

Now I have seen many posts here indicating that he is one of the easyest if not the easyest character to just pick up and play, but does it go even farther than that and make a "noob" able to beat advanced players?

If this is the case then is there even any "advanced play" with regards to metaknight?

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
With all due respect, bro; it sounds like your friends have a personal vendetta against Meta Knight.

I will buy into the fact, however, that Meta Knight (on a basic level) might be easier for a 'noob' to start learning Brawl with rather than say, hmm, Snake. Nevertheless, I don't think he deserves the title of "THE" noob character, at all.

Lastly, there is definately an 'advanced' metagame for Meta Knight - as all characters.

Just my 2 cents :)

mzink*

Smash Ace
meta can be easy to pick up because his moves are highly spamable and he has great recovery. but noobs playing as meta get knocked off real quick. a skilled player wont be defeated by a noob meta. meta has his flaws just like every character. theres no way a noob can be tourny worthy with him.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Easily so, Meta-Knight is indeed very easy to pick up, but VERY hard to master. It's very easy to SD with MK, and rush into traps if you don't pay attention. If a new player picks up MK and intimidates you...you will have a tough time, other than that they are predictible and easily stoped and discouraged.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
After getting rocked at a tourney last weekend, I can guarantee the question is bull****. He might be easier to pick up, yes, but a noob character? Heck no.

Edit: Yeah, HolyForce got it

Prax

Smash Journeyman
I will admit that he is fairly easy to pick up, and still a good character in higher levels of play. He is far from the definitive noob character though.

Marth, Ike, and Pit seem to be used more by noobs. Marth has a spammable move with good range (F smash) and a fairly good recovery, Ike is powerful and heavy, and Pit is the god of camping and spamming. All of these qualities appeal to noobs a lot.

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
University of Minnesota (Green Bay Wisconsin in Su
I will admit that he is fairly easy to pick up, and still a good character in higher levels of play. He is far from the definitive noob character though.

Marth, Ike, and Pit seem to be used more by noobs. Marth has a spammable moves with good range (F smash) and a fairly good recovery, Ike is powerful and heavy, and Pit is the god of camping and spamming. All of these qualities appeal to noobs a lot.
Sounds like Meta Knight. In addition to, he has nearly no lag between attacks, ten different ways to recover, fly/glide and speed.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
IF you were a better player you wouldn't lose to noob meta knights so you should probably quit complaining

Suxen

Smash Rookie
I think is no Newbie or Nobb just easy to combo and that is y every1 say that is noob but dont not is

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i don't think he's really a "noob" character.

sure, it might be "fun" to rack up damage with the mach tornado... and it could be considered noobish. but it's still kind of hard to score KOs with metaknight.

phe-gnome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-4792-6061
I can beat most people without the help of Mach Tornado. I can also easily avoid Mach Tornado with other characters. It's an over rated move especially when spammed. Meta Knight has some of the weakest KO power in the game too. You have to get good at gimping to master him. Meta Knight= not a noob character.

JVMetaknight

Smash Rookie
Hmm...Meta's recovery options...

- 5 jumps
- Jump-glide
- Shuttle Loop
- Shuttle Loop into glide
- Mach Tornado (just keep smashing B!)
- Drill Rush
- Dimensional Cape

Not quite ten, but still...many and varied ways to get back onto the stage.

I tend to save my Mach Tornado for surprise approaches. Keeps my foes on their toes. The temptation to spam it is great, especially against heavier characters, but I'm much more a fan of Meta's Down-air and F-tilt to punish my enemies. It all depends on the situation.

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
a true noob isnt tourney worthy.
but MK does attract alot of noobs, just like ike.
who attracts the most noobs IMO?
1.ike
2.sonic
3.pit
4.MK
but metaknight doesnt attract as many noobs as those other dudes, just because their certain moveset is appealing to newbs, they dont understand what "balance" is.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
MK is the new sheik but even tho sheik was ez to play with, if a noob went too a tourney with her, he would still get wrecked. same story, different game.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Meta Knight is very easy to pick a character and start playing with, but I wouldn't say tourney worthy. Hes easy to use but his advanced techs are something no noob could ever pick up.

Tohoya

Smash Rookie
I'd put Ike (at least if the opponents are as scrubby as the person playing) and Wolf above MK for most newbie-friendly characters, but MK is definitely up there.

Staco

Smash Champion
if he would be a noob chara, than it had to be, ebcause he is imbalanced good, and he isnt
mabye he is high tier but there are other good characters
maybe you can good pick up and play
but a high skilled player will have no problems to kill a meta
the most problems is, that "noobs" ant accept this fact, because they loose against noob mk players ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY9DAWIQ9iE

oh, and look this
do you want to ask this question again? ^^

MfG an European player, who is waiting for the 27.6. @.@
time of waiting is over =D

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
As the worst Meta-Knight player on this forum I'd have to say that he isn't a noob character at all. He is slow in the air and can easily be knocked out at only 50% with most moves.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight is NOT a noob character. So he's easier to pick up and play than like, Ganondorf. Big deal. Your friends are just mad because they don't know how to counter Meta Knight. His moves are somewhat spammable, but they all put Meta Knight into a helpless state if the attack ends while Meta Knight is airborne. Noobs will find a move with every character to spam. That's just how noobs are. So, that's no excuse.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately Meta Knight is very easy to pick-up and play. Its the question of if the person will be any good or not. I agree with HolyForce that Pit is even more "noob-friendly". Pit's got a spammable(sp?) projectile in his arrows. Meta's Tornado while it is spammable(sp?) it can't go as far as one of Pit's arrows. Pit also has a recovery that all you have to do is hold a direction and you go in that direction. MK's recoveries are not as easy to use as Pit's are. The shuttle loop can be awkward for a first-time player. Same with the tornado. Long story short Pit is more noob-friendly than Meta Knight.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
By the way, noob character is a bad way to put it, it gives off a bad look. Let's just say he has an easy learning curve.

Top Bottom