• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight has a 0 to Death Combo...

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
M2K posted this in the MK back room in 08 rofl.

There's no way you'll be able to roll behind them if they SDI away. And not many people have a good enough reaction time to turn around and Dtilt after trying to roll (you have to distinguish whether or not they're in front of you or behind you before you can think about inputing Dtilt).

Nothing new gained imo. Show a video of someone pulling it off against an SDIing opponent and I'll believe it. Better to just Dtilt lock once and charge a Fsmash.
I'm going to make a quick vid of MK rolling to buffered turn around d-tilt in order to catch up to a SDIing opponent but I'm gonna do it in frame advance and speed it up since I don't have the time to learn this perfectly right now.

I know for a fact that you should get at least one turn around off since up until a certain percent D-tilt gives almost no knock back so even SDIing it won't push you that far

@XDeath: I tested the foot stool combos in frame advance before showing them in real time to make sure I hit them in time before they can stand up. In my earlier post I thought you were talking about each hit of the d-tilt after the lock is already started so there was a miscommunication. Also, I didn't do the D3 one correctly in the video but I know for a fact it works if you time it correctly since I tested it in frame advance.

iRJi

Smash Champion
You guys lol...

Rather then complaining about a practical setup, be grateful he brought something to you that works irrelevant of the setup for it. I for one have set up a Dtilt lock multiple times, and while it is not something you can set up consistently, it is something that when it is pulled off, works. I don't see the complication. The Dtilt is SDI'able, but you can roll to close the distance. Who cares if its frame perfect? It gives you another option that you didn't know you had before.

Good fine GIMR. While it is something that cant be pulled off at will, it is surely something to keep in mind.

Exdeath

Smash Master
@GiMR: I wasn't saying that the foot stool doesn't work; I know that it does. It isn't guaranteed, but it is very practical, which is what I was saying.

@iRJi: There's only like one person complaining. The others are critiquing it, which is productive.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
ahh ok, I know it isn't the most practical thing in the world. But I don't see why this couldn't happen once a set seeing as battlefield is plaedy a lot and you can set it up off of trip

Exdeath

Smash Master
The MK boards were discussing Uair>Foot stool well before the Pikachu boards, not that it matters.

Laem

Smash Champion
this really doesn't work all that well
its a cool practice to like dtilt froll constantly and keep him in
ive only got it 4 consec times so far b4 failing the buffer xd

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And when you are finally able to do it, you will never get the opportunity D:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
And when you are finally able to do it, you will never get the opportunity D:
tbh

better to be able to consistently do it and never get the chance, than to not be able to consistently do it, get the chance and **** it up.

you'd feel much worse with the latter.

Tesh

Smash Hero
tbh

better to be able to consistently do it and never get the chance, than to not be able to consistently do it, get the chance and **** it up.

you'd feel much worse with the latter.
lol this

"Lets not learn how to do anything because people always play perfectly and never fall for anything"

Though I agree MK is good enough, you guys really should stop improving.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah yeah I know it's kinda worth it.
But think of like IC chaingrab if you could get that grab once in like a 100 matches. It would be awful for all the trouble.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
And with this, I shall effectively change mains. Not really for the extremely situational 0 to death infinite, more than the fact that Meta Knight simply has so much utility, it's not even funny... okay, so it is a bit funny.

By the way, I noticed something - how is Mew2King not a Backroomer? Either that, or maybe there's an option to hide postbits? One would think he'd have a shiny, candy-like postbit for Backroomers. Oh well. o.O

SyLnS

Smash Rookie
It seems like people with good to amazing DI can get out of this....If you can even get them it the lock in the first place....Still MK is my main so ill test this out but i wouldn't use it that much.

NNID
Budget_Player
Fairly confident M2K left the backroom because he doesn't agree with them on things
A combination of this and "got kicked out becase he's kind of incapable of intelligent discussion"... You know, things like insisting that MK loses to diddy, wanting people to take his opinions as fact because he's M2K...

At least, that's what I heard.

Exdeath

Smash Master
A combination of this and "got kicked out becase he's kind of incapable of intelligent discussion"... You know, things like insisting that MK loses to diddy, wanting people to take his opinions as fact because he's M2K...

The BBR didn't kick him out haha.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

Oh my. Well, assuming this is true, perhaps winning many tourneys let such an accomplishment go to his head? I dunno, and I honestly don't want to.

That said, about this 0 to death "infinite", I suppose since people can DI out of it, then it wouldn't be an infinite by the strictest definition of the term. The fact that one needs to be frame-perfect (though I hear you don't need to be THAT perfect) means this 0 to Death - although cool when successfully performed - isn't exactly something people will be aiming to do in a realistic tournament setting. I mean, if the opportunity rises, then I suppose we could go for it, but otherwise, we're better off just doing what MK does best; do stuff.

tl;dr: No one's going to realistically aim for such a lofty feat in a tournament setting.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Oh my. Well, assuming this is true, perhaps winning many tourneys let such an accomplishment go to his head? I dunno, and I honestly don't want to.

That said, about this 0 to death "infinite", I suppose since people can DI out of it, then it wouldn't be an infinite by the strictest definition of the term. The fact that one needs to be frame-perfect (though I hear you don't need to be THAT perfect) means this 0 to Death - although cool when successfully performed - isn't exactly something people will be aiming to do in a realistic tournament setting. I mean, if the opportunity rises, then I suppose we could go for it, but otherwise, we're better off just doing what MK does best; do stuff.

tl;dr: No one's going to realistically aim for such a lofty feat in a tournament setting.
M2K isn't arrogant because of his success, it's more like he "objectively" (to him at least) uses himself as an example because it's what he knows best. He uses other people in similar examples. Unaccomplished players like BPC/Raziek often clash with players like M2K/ADHD because the former value the abstract and the latter value the empirical.

Also, no one said that this is an infinite. The OP claims that it will take every character from 0% up to whatever % will kill them with Fsmash, regardless of their DI. If it does work like the OP suggests (I'm still not sure about SDI), then it does just that. In a game where stocks often require scores of reads to win a game or set, a practical "one read, one kill" set-up in very useful.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Also, no one said that this is an infinite. The OP claims that it will take every character from 0% up to whatever % will kill them with Fsmash, regardless of their DI. If it does work like the OP suggests (I'm still not sure about SDI), then it does just that. In a game where stocks often require scores of reads to win a game or set, a practical "one read, one kill" set-up in very useful.
Hm, perhaps I shouldn't have used "infinite". But it seems people can SDI out of it. As for the technique, it is indeed useful... very useful. However, it still seems rather situational, unless the MK player sort of predicts in advance that the opportunity to perfrom the Dtilt lock will present itself. I mean, if the opponent's lying flat on the floor, they can tech out rather quickly, and thus requires very fast reflexes to capitalize on the situation before they tech. In such a case, said MK player may just try to go for it too fast and either miss their target, Dsmash by mistake, or just "choke" and miss the opportunity altogether.

I do not deny the usefulness of the technique (is this considered a technique? Not sure). But I will argue to the death that this seems situational. That's just me though.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Still waiting on someone actually proving, that you can SDI out of this.

I see people saying you can, but no one is providing actual content.

Top Bottom