• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Clockzarb

Smash Rookie
You should check some guides done by people of the community.
Be wary, some guides might not be up to date, MK just got nerf pretty hard last patch losing his best combo. Upair strings into UpB kill does not work anymore (at least on the majority of the cas), keep that in mind.

http://smashboards.com/guides/you-have-a-fair-amount-left-to-learn-jamurais-mk-notes.569/

http://smashboards.com/guides/know-...meta-knight-update-rapid-jab-edge-cancel.433/

I guess you should start by learning the combos to maximize your punishes and learn what are your different tools in your moveset to make the best usage out of it (and just not throw random moves).

I hope this helps.

EDIT : And go to the video compilation thread to have an idea how good MK players play the character. http://smashboards.com/threads/meta-knight-video-compilation-critique-thread.371317/page-11

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So how does MK handle Rosa, ZSS, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Cloud? I'm a Jr main and I've been on the hunt for a viable secondary for awhile to make my life less strenuousness.

Magnemite

Smash Cadet
mk bodies rosa, beats pacman, is even-ish with mega man, and loses slightly to cloud and zss (probably). mk's not an easy character to use and needs quite a bit of time devoted to him though, so you'd probably be better off with an easier secondary with a better matchup spread like cloud or diddy.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Ehh I don't really mind taking a lot of time to learn a character, in fact I welcome it. I just wanted to know about those MU's specifically cause those are Jr's worst so I will still use him in other cumbersome MU's but those are the big ones.

Clockzarb

Smash Rookie
Since MK got nerf last patch, so it's hard to say for now how these match-up are. Vs rosaluma I believe the ladder is still confirmed in some situations (at least without SDI) so we probably still have a positive match up against her. And the ladder was not the only reason why most MK thought we won against her so it's safe to say we're still positive.

I think Magnemite match-up are correct but pre-patch.

Nick T

Smash Rookie
Is it worth picking up metaknight now? Interested in the character but still not quite sure how bad the nerfs were. From what I can tell the Uair combos are much harder but his neutral improved a little.

Just to add to this a little, I've been struggling to find a solid main for a long time now. I've been sortof between like 8 or so characters now and I feel like its hard to really improve at the game without any character to really focus on.

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Well besides the upair combo that was lost (the death part) you are still left with a small frame fast character who has: no issues killing due to solid kill confirms, 5 jumps + 3 recovery specials, fantastic edgeguarding, still has a great (and arguably more dynamic) combo game, among other small nuances. He's not super easy nor is he the hardest character to play with a bit of practice.
Don't let some of the doomsayers in this graveyard tell you he's unusable and you will be fine.

Last edited:

KOOMAN

Smash Rookie
NNID
obliviousloser
What is the best strategy to deal with a defense megaman? His pellets make it very difficult to get in.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
You can dash attack righ through pellets usually if you are already in the animation since they have no hitstun. It will stop you from starting a dash attack however.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Since the landing lag on fair was reduced, would you say it's a lot more safer on shield? Thinking about if we fast fall it from a short hop, it could lead into a down b kill also. Similar to dtilt into it.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
How do you escape MK's elevator? I was told DIing downwards helps.
If you're talking about the up air combo, DIing down is the direction you DON'T want to go towards. Instead, DI towards the side.

If this information is wrong, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
If you're talking about the up air combo, DIing down is the direction you DON'T want to go towards. Instead, DI towards the side.

If this information is wrong, feel free to correct me.
It's just something I heard from Fatality. He said fastfalling through would help.

I tried DIing through the side when facing Sect at a very recent tournament and still managed to get killed by Uair Up B.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
It's just something I heard from Fatality. He said fastfalling through would help.

I tried DIing through the side when facing Sect at a very recent tournament and still managed to get killed by Uair Up B.
Who were you playing as? Some characters go into tumble later so on them it's very possible to get the kill combo. There's no set way to just live those, you have to Di to the side and try to mess the Meta Knight up.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92

Depends on whether you go into tumble or not. Pretty sure Ike is usually at tumble % when he is susceptible to being comboed by Uairs, in which case quarter-circle SDI down and away is your best friend, thanks to the new SDI multiplier as of the latest patch.

sp00nx

Smash Rookie
Does Meta Knight have any optimal/stylishly stupid combos/setups that not a lot of people know about? Stuff like footstool combos, jab lock zero to deaths (I can consistently to back air fast falls out of dash attack and down throw) etc

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Does Meta Knight have any optimal/stylishly stupid combos/setups that not a lot of people know about? Stuff like footstool combos, jab lock zero to deaths (I can consistently to back air fast falls out of dash attack and down throw) etc
Everyone knows about Bair locks but Uair > footstool is true at some %s and can be set up into. Getting to the ground in time to lock with Dtilt is very tight time-wise though.

Other flashy stuff I can think of includes Dtilt > DCape, and Uair combo > airdodge read > Tornado, Drill Rush or DCape.

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Hey dudes, I was wondering with the recent nerfs in MK's kit that is it worth going through the steep learning curve to learn this character? Yes he did get nerfed pretty badly but he still has plenty of options and mixups to make him a top 15 character for sure in my opinion.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Hey dudes, I was wondering with the recent nerfs in MK's kit that is it worth going through the steep learning curve to learn this character? Yes he did get nerfed pretty badly but he still has plenty of options and mixups to make him a top 15 character for sure in my opinion.
He's defo worth playing if you think he's fun. If you're playing to win, frankly I'd play someone who is easier while at the same time being a better character overall, Diddy or Cloud for example.

Halogen

Smash Rookie
NNID
grich05
What is the best strategy to deal with a defense megaman? His pellets make it very difficult to get in.
The most important part is to learn their pellet pattern. In neutral, MM typically uses a pattern of approaching/retreating pellets with short hops mixed in. There is a short cooldown window in between their third pellet and the next "first" pellet. If you think they will commit to 3 pellets, then you can approach with either dash attack (if they short hop), or Fair (if they're on the ground). Once you get in, maximize your damage and exploit MM's difficulty landing. He'll probably Up-B out of a juggling situation (which does not put him in special fall), but watch out for fast fall Bair and Fair and it should be advantageous for you.
Also as a mixup, DR and MT absorb any and all pellets and can take them unawares if it's the first time you've used it.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Hello fellow bats! North Louisiana PR MK main here. Was wondering a few things! 1. Do we have a discord and if we do where does most of the discussion happen, here or on discord?
2. What other senpai are there besides Tyrant, Abadango, Leo, and Katakiri?

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Hello fellow bats! North Louisiana PR MK main here. Was wondering a few things! 1. Do we have a discord and if we do where does most of the discussion happen, here or on discord?
2. What other senpai are there besides Tyrant, Abadango, Leo, and Katakiri?
If you don't mention Ito on your senpai list you are not worthy of belonging to the discord. jk

Freakzoid9000MS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lukeduke5456
How do find and access previous drafts that you made on Smashboards? I can't find my draft I saved for my second guide.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
Does any one have a chart that shows metaknight's vulnerable frames after using dimensional cape to ledge grab?

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Does any one have a chart that shows metaknight's vulnerable frames after using dimensional cape to ledge grab?
No chart, but it is a teleport. So if you grab the ledge from slightly above it, you are invulnerable immediately after reappearing (so no vulnerability), and if you grab the ledge from below you're vulnerable for two frames.

Freakzoid9000MS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lukeduke5456
Just out of curiosity, who still lurks the MK boards? I just want to see how many people are committed to the boards.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
From what I've understood, a lot of people migrated to the Discord Server instead.
I still lurk here a lot tho.
:196:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
*1 of the 2 discord servers

I still lurk, i dont post much tho. All my patience for SB is spent on reading cci

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
He can still up air combo characters until they begin to tumble, which for most floaties is enough time to get the kill the old fashioned way, albeit at later percents then pre-nerf. Beyond that SDI ruins up air but in most real matches you can still string stuff out of it. If you watch players like Ito and Leo, you really get a better picture of some nearly optimized followups at high level. I'm still pretty bad at his punish game, so I cannot give a truly in-depth response. But it's not bad, despite his pretty low damage per hit, he can rack damage pretty well and kill very early under good circumstances.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
His punish game sucks vs the majority of the cast.

Edit: to be even more of a party pooper, uair combos don't kill characters who are marth weight and above unless you have alot of rage. The damage on uair combos is low too

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
His punish game sucks vs the majority of the cast.

Edit: to be even more of a party pooper, uair combos don't kill characters who are marth weight and above unless you have alot of rage. The damage on uair combos is low too
I wouldn't call getting 20-46% off a confirm a bad punish game. Doing 38-39% per up air combo is not low.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
He simply cannot do that to most non-floaties, though. I think that's what wn2 means.

Meta Knight is deadly against floaties. Perhaps his fate is to be a counterpick character for the likes of Rosalina. Oh wait, just use Cloud. Much easier.

Ulevo

Smash Master
He simply cannot do that to most non-floaties, though. I think that's what wn2 means.

Meta Knight is deadly against floaties. Perhaps his fate is to be a counterpick character for the likes of Rosalina. Oh wait, just use Cloud. Much easier.
No, he can do it to basically everyone.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
*shrug* I'm no expert. But he certainly won't be getting up air combos to death on non-floaties. And if they don't die, why should I care about the combo? /s

Here's a question; even if an opponent SDIs say, to the side out of up air, is it possible to get followups of any kind? Do we at least have some sort of frame advantage in that situation?

Top Bottom