• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Got my first dose of DA->Uair string->UpB at a tourney this past weekend and tbh, I don't ever want another. How do you deal with this string as floaty and heavy characters? It seemed to work at every percentage, on both of my characters (Rosalina and Mega Man)
Rosa and Mega unfortunately both get kinda violated by this combo. Rosa gets combo'd very early (~0-20%) while Mega gets combo'd much later (~30-50%). The combo % also varies depending on how stale Uair and setup moves are, and also rage effect. If the MK is good enough it's not escapable, so basically don't get hit by dash attack or Utilt at around those %s, and DI away from any throws.

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Got my first dose of DA->Uair string->UpB at a tourney this past weekend and tbh, I don't ever want another. How do you deal with this string as floaty and heavy characters? It seemed to work at every percentage, on both of my characters (Rosalina and Mega Man)
I'm afraid to tell you that you are screwed. Best thing you can do is learn the percents where your character dies to the combo and be very careful during those moments. You can also try to DI the DA, but you will sometimes fail. Once you're being Up-air'ed, mix up your DI (left, right) to confuse the MK and make him drop the combo if he isn't good enough. I wish you luck.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Twiranitar gave a good answer to your question but I will further elaborate on it.

Assuming the Meta Knight knows the general range of when he can Death Combo (it is a combo not a string when done correctly fyi) and can account for other factors such as Rage and how stale his Up Airs are, your only shot is to hope you can DI and throw him off. But here's the caveat:

There are two kinds of Meta Knight players who can Death Combo: The ones who understand the inputs and the ones who understand the nuances of the combo as a whole.

The former tend to just start their Death Combos and have it fixed in their head that the opponent is only going to stay in a certain position (probably from playing against lesser experienced opponents/computers). As a result, these Meta Knights often drop combos to players who understand what DI does here because the Meta Knight will realize at the last second, "Oh **** he's too close to me!" and then drop the combo.

The latter is what you need to be concerned about. These Meta Knights react to your DI on the fly and have enough practice and hand dexterity to adjust mid combo and make sure they are in a position to finish you.

Unfortunately, Rosalina just gets bodied by Meta Knight to begin with and the Death Combo is the icing on the cake. Megaman does better but there's a rather large window that combo works on him due to his weight and fall speed.

It really is a matter of trying to mix DI to throw off your opponent assuming the conditions have been met in order for it to kill you.

Twisted_Jokerr

Smash Cadet
If Meta Knights f-air had the ssf2 knockback trajectory, where it shoots them upwards instead of away, it would be his best move. The combo potential would make him top 5 in the game.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Hey MKs,
I've recently been trying to learn MK. He's an awesome characters, has cool taunts, the whole package really :p

The thread I thought would be the most useful was this one: http://smashboards.com/threads/meta...youve-much-yet-to-learn.407351/#post-19888004

While it is a very good directory, after clicking many of the links, it all seems a bit broken. Many of the threads linked have data removed (the ones by @Ulevo ) , and some of the links send you to a page that is different to what the link stated.

Where do I find the data/good mk learning resources.

Thanks

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Hey MKs,
I've recently been trying to learn MK. He's an awesome characters, has cool taunts, the whole package really :p

The thread I thought would be the most useful was this one: http://smashboards.com/threads/meta...youve-much-yet-to-learn.407351/#post-19888004

While it is a very good directory, after clicking many of the links, it all seems a bit broken. Many of the threads linked have data removed (the ones by @Ulevo ) , and some of the links send you to a page that is different to what the link stated.

Where do I find the data/good mk learning resources.

Thanks
We have two good guides:

http://smashboards.com/guides/know-...meta-knight-update-rapid-jab-edge-cancel.433/
http://smashboards.com/guides/you-have-a-fair-amount-left-to-learn-jamurais-mk-notes.569/ :yeahboi:

Other than those, to learn how to play MK I suggest watching Ito, Abadango and Tyrant sets.

Megamang

Smash Lord

Better players are starting to camp the ledge at their death percents, as this prevents proper follow ups.

Legend0fMatt

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm new to mk and just want some tips or something to that avail. I am not the best at the game, but I can pull of combos and techs so any advice you have my ears are open. Also what is the best option out of down throw? Thanks,

Matt

-Iceberg

Smash Cadet
Hey there everyone. Is there a consistent way to get the 120 BKB instead of 70 BKB with the first hit of Shuttle Loop in the air? After testing, it seems like jumping and then inputting Shuttle Loop a few frames after achieves the higher knockback, but the issue is that I can't get it consistently.

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm new to mk and just want some tips or something to that avail. I am not the best at the game, but I can pull of combos and techs so any advice you have my ears are open. Also what is the best option out of down throw? Thanks,

Matt
Here's all you need to get started. http://smashboards.com/threads/you-have-a-fair-amount-left-to-learn-jamurais-mk-notes.412987/
If you want more, I'd recommend lurking the forums; there's plenty of information here. Keep in mind Meta Knight is a character you'll need to invest a lot of your time in order to get good with him, and don't worry if you aren't seeing results at the beginning. It will be worth your effort.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Hey there everyone. Is there a consistent way to get the 120 BKB instead of 70 BKB with the first hit of Shuttle Loop in the air? After testing, it seems like jumping and then inputting Shuttle Loop a few frames after achieves the higher knockback, but the issue is that I can't get it consistently.
No idea! Someone should test that (not me)

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure one way to do it consistently is to horizontally "tipper" the move. I used to play on 3ds until very recently and spent a long time practicing the combo since it was basically required to hit the upB sweetspot to kill some characters at some %s, given the higher ceilings in 3ds.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Does anyone know the mechanics behind Tornado? The reason I'm asking is because today I went through a Bayonetta D-Smash and Corrin F-smash with Tornado. It showed the clank bubble but I didn't get hit out of it.

@Ulevo said that there were no changes so I'm pretty sure it's always been like that; I think Tornado is just unexplored

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
As long as you're standing at least about one Meta Knight's distance away from her that move will never hit you. If you couch it won't even hit you at point blank range.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Was the dashgrab thingy where it slides you off the stage if you do it near the ledge always there..? I thought it was removed along with C. Falcon's some patches ago.

Magnemite

Smash Cadet
iirc it was removed then brought back. it's definitely still in now. abadango in particular uses it quite a bit.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
What is the weight of Bayonetta? Was having a little trouble getting the up air strings yesterday.

Furret24

Smash Master
What is the weight of Bayonetta? Was having a little trouble getting the up air strings yesterday.
84. For reference, that's the same as Sheik (just keep in mind that Sheik falls noticeably faster than her).

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So I'm getting a grasp of everything but I can't really find a use for tornado, unless I get it off of dthrow at low %. So what's it good for?

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
So I'm getting a grasp of everything but I can't really find a use for tornado, unless I get it off of dthrow at low %. So what's it good for?
Its main uses are covering ledge options (and conditioning them to wait on the ledge > ledge trump), catching spotdodges and airdodges, and pressuring shields in conjunction with Dairs or Uairs.

Top Bottom