• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
are you one of those fools that thinks melee is a good competitively balanced game

haxdashing is a load of bull****, just saying

Gemba Board Gemba Board keep it fresh.
1. What does my stance on retaining invincibility off a ledge drop have to do with what I think of melee and its balance? Keep your strawmans to yourself

2. There's a difference between haxdashing and ledge dashing.

3. Don't argue for or against something if you are uneducated about it and don't even know the correct terms

4. Ledge dashing is not broken because the player who has stage control can simply space himself around the opponent's ledgedash options. You seem to be under the impression that it's an ezbake free way to get off the ledge. It's not.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
1. What does my stance on retaining invincibility off a ledge drop have to do with what I think of melee and its balance? Keep your strawmans to yourself

2. There's a difference between haxdashing and ledge dashing.

3. Don't argue for or against something if you are uneducated about it and don't even know the correct terms

4. Ledge dashing is not broken because the player who has stage control can simply space himself around the opponent's ledgedash options. You seem to be under the impression that it's an ezbake free way to get off the ledge. It's not.
Is strawman the hot new meme on the block or something, i read this **** almost everyday, im not even strawmanning you. Kind of ****ing dumb to escalate this in that way, but whatever.

regardless of whatever you want to call whatever tech (which is argument through a technicality) based around abusing ledge invicibility, its all anti-competitive and unbalanced in my view. you give a person who is in a tactically disadvantageous position (who has been put there by seriously losing control of his game on stage) an option that makes it a tactically advantageous position, which allows the defending player to either a) reset neutral or b) elevate him self to the position of aggressor, in both cases he wins stage control. its counterintuitive and anticompetitive, which due to the nature of invincibility, doesnt have counterplay through normal means. any variant of invincibility retention from a ledge option is overpowered and im glad it doesnt exist in this game.

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Is strawman the hot new meme on the block or something, i read this **** almost everyday, im not even strawmanning you. Kind of ****ing dumb to escalate this in that way, but whatever.

regardless of whatever you want to call whatever tech (which is argument through a technicality) based around abusing ledge invicibility, its all anti-competitive and unbalanced in my view. you give a person who is in a tactically disadvantageous position (who has been put there by seriously losing control of his game on stage) an option that makes it a tactically advantageous position, which allows the defending player to either a) reset neutral or b) elevate him self to the position of aggressor, in both cases he wins stage control. its counterintuitive and anticompetitive, which due to the nature of invincibility, doesnt have counterplay through normal means. any variant of invincibility retention from a ledge option is overpowered and im glad it doesnt exist in this game.

how is that a meme. I'm talking about the merits and mechanics of ledge invincibility and then you assume that I'm "one of those fools who think melee is a competitively balanced game" lol??

> an option that makes it a tactically advantageous position, which allows the defending player to either a) reset neutral

> elevate him self to the position of aggressor, in both cases he wins stage control.

Both of these are possible in smash 4 off a ledge if your opponent doesn't read you. In almost every smash game you can't just react to what they do to get off the ledge and punish them, except a jump from the ledge in melee since it makes you stuck in that animation forever unlike brawl and smash 4

You punish their options off a ledgedash just like how you do in smash 4: You have to read what they do and then punish after. The entire time, the person on stage has stage control so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. In addition you lose invincibility off a ledge dash by the time one of your moves starts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yXUJ-q2P9c (you also have to basically be frame perfect or you don't get many frames of invuln at all)

Is a ledge roll get up OP because it has invincibility frames? no. Is a ledge regular stand up OP because it has invincibility frames? no.

The only sort of ledge invincibility abuse that's actually anticompetitive and counterintuitive is Brawl MK planking

What exactly do you mean "counterplay through normal means"?

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't think discussing the value of other games' options and tactics is going to get us anywhere...
:196:

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Ok so I just finished two weekly tournaments with :4wario2:/:4metaknight: and I guess it's that time again where I just come in and dump a bunch of questions for :4metaknight:. Lets cut to the chase shall we?

1. Does anyone know how to go about fighting :4peach: as :4metaknight:? I've been having some problems with it it lately since her float has been screwing over my Dash Attack / Dash Grab opportunities as well as her walls with turnips and stuff. I don't know. I find it a very weird match-up with :4metaknight: so I started going :4wario2: in it and having a little more success. But I still want to learn what to do as :4metaknight: against :4peach:. Just in case my :4wario2: isn't up to scratch on the day.

2. What are our best tools to deal with spot dodges?

3. What's the best way to pressure shields in our dead zone where dash grab won't connect?
i.e. the point where he'll just dash grab and just run through his opponent.

4. Is it a good idea to catch air dodges with Down B?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Ok so I just finished two weekly tournaments with :4wario2:/:4metaknight: and I guess it's that time again where I just come in and dump a bunch of questions for :4metaknight:. Lets cut to the chase shall we?

1. Does anyone know how to go about fighting :4peach: as :4metaknight:? I've been having some problems with it it lately since her float has been screwing over my Dash Attack / Dash Grab opportunities as well as her walls with turnips and stuff. I don't know. I find it a very weird match-up with :4metaknight: so I started going :4wario2: in it and having a little more success. But I still want to learn what to do as :4metaknight: against :4peach:. Just in case my :4wario2: isn't up to scratch on the day.

2. What are our best tools to deal with spot dodges?

3. What's the best way to pressure shields in our dead zone where dash grab won't connect?
i.e. the point where he'll just dash grab and just run through his opponent.

4. Is it a good idea to catch air dodges with Down B?

1. Rather than answer you in a big paragraph how about this: I am ranked #8 in Michigan and one of my training buddies is ranked #9 (because of inactivity - he is honestly better than I am) and he mains Peach. How about I upload some videos from our training session tonight? :)

2. Tornado is fantastic if you need a spotdodge but it's a large commitment so be careful. I also really like Forward Tilt because you can stagger the timing and often times catch your opponent with Forward Tilt 3 if they are being overzealous with it. Jab is also good for catching spotdodges.

Favorite spot dodge punish tool is Forward Smash though. If you hit someone with this off a read, I guarantee you they'll think twice before throwing that **** out there randomly again.

3. Main close up shield pressure options for us are F-Tilt, Down Tilt, Forward Smash and Dair. Tornado is what you use when you've done enough damage to poke.

4. Dimensional Cape has so much end lag. If you miss with the attack version and you fail to autocancel it (yes, you can autocancel the attack at a very specific range off the ground), if your opponent's fall speed is good enough, they can easily beat you to the ground and punish you (or use a stall and fall Down Air - like Sonic, ZSS, Toon Link). I think it makes a decent mixup at kill percent sometimes but nothing to rely on. The end lag is hella atrocious so it's a super large commitment.

Last edited:

N~W .

Smash Cadet
1. Rather than answer you in a big paragraph how about this: I am ranked #8 in Michigan and one of my training buddies is ranked #9 (because of inactivity - he is honestly better than I am) and he mains Peach. How about I upload some videos from our training session tonight? :)

2. Tornado is fantastic if you need a spotdodge but it's a large commitment so be careful. I also really like Forward Tilt because you can stagger the timing and often times catch your opponent with Forward Tilt 3 if they are being overzealous with it.

Favorite spot dodge punish tool is Forward Smash though. If you hit someone with this off a read, I guarantee you they'll think twice before throwing that **** out there randomly again.

3. Main close up shield pressure options for us are F-Tilt, Down Tilt, Forward Smash and Dair. Tornado is what you use when you've done enough damage to poke.

4. Dimensional Cape has so much end lag. If you miss with the attack version and you fail to autocancel it (yes, you can autocancel the attack at a very specific range off the ground), if your opponent's fall speed is good enough, they can easily beat you to the ground and punish you (or use a stall and fall Down Air - like Sonic, ZSS, Toon Link). I think it makes a decent mixup at kill percent sometimes but nothing to rely on. The end lag is hella atrocious so it's a super large commitment.
It'd be great if you could get those matches up. The next UK monthly is this weekend and it'll definitely help with labbing the match-up.

I hope the Cloud findings have helped you out as much as they have helped me out as well. I want to post them in the threads but I don't know where I can just post them so that they're available for everyone to see baring the combo thread really.

ZTD | TECHnology

It'd be great if you could get those matches up. The next UK monthly is this weekend and it'll definitely help with labbing the match-up.

I hope the Cloud findings have helped you out as much as they have helped me out as well. I want to post them in the threads but I don't know where I can just post them so that they're available for everyone to see baring the combo thread really.
Yes. You helped me a lot. I've been bodying Clouds now. :D

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so we all saw the meta knight coverage from that recent smash corner tips and tricks video right? I'll link it in case some of you haven't. So in the video, right off the bat (puns), he shows us this dthrow mix up where he pivots right after the throw and jumps back-facing the victim into a FF'd bair for some jab lock fun and games. He says it works from about 0%~10% and it won't matter how they DI.

QUESTION TIME:
Are we doing this?

I mean up until this point, I've yet to find a need for a perfect pivoting meta knight outside of swag ppdtilts. Is the pp necessary? I've personally been doing bthrow into RAR ff bair and it works really well since the opponent is almost always DI trapped right into it. They DI away trying to avoid dthrow and fthrow follow ups and end up DIing inward into bair instead. Can we not RAR after dthrow and hit with bair in time?

I don't mind learning to incorporate a pp into a throw follow up; in fact, I'd like to. I'm tired of dthrow usmash. It's ugly. Does the pp follow up work as well as advertised, and is it strictly better than an RAR option?

Sorry if this video was discussed elsewhere or earlier here. I do wonder about the RAR/PP opinion, though.

http://youtu.be/8bOnSWM4flI

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Perfect pivot has multiple potential uses:
  • Dthrow > PP SHFF Bair as described above
  • PP Utilt into them > Uair combo
  • PP jab/Ftilt/Dtilt for space control (or smashes if you use smash stick)
etc.

The PP > Bair's purpose is not damage imo, it's to 0-death people. Any character who dies to Utilt or dash attack at 16, 20/21 or 25% should be extremely scared of this combo if the MK knows it, cause you can Dtilt however many times to tailor their % to when they will die.

Problem with PP is that there is not a lot of room for error. You should be very confident in your PP if you're going to use it in tournament matches, ZeRo for example says he doesn't want to use it in tournament because it's so easy to screw up, and at that level one screw up can equal a stock. So it's risky from that point of view.

I think it's up to preference, if you're confident in your PPing then go for it. I think Tech has been getting it down and uses it a fair bit in his gameplay now. Will be interesting to see if/when top level play embraces the perfect pivot tbh.

ZTD | TECHnology

I personally believe it is worth learning but it definitely takes time before you're able to use it consistently and intelligently in high level sets. I can now use it confidently and proficiently in tournament ( I don't spam it though) Between Perfect Pivotting and Foxtrot Canceling (and Foxtrot Canceling into Perfect Pivotting), my movement has become much more erratic and difficult for the opponent to deal with. If you can get inside if your opponent's head and figure out how they would respond when you use a certain movement option, you can land more Dash Attack/Throws this way. And of course being able to retreat or advance Tilts is useful. I use it primarily as a movement option but occasionally use it in tandem with tilts as well. (I use Tilt Stick). The process for learning new tech typically goes something like this:

Stage 1: Learning the inputs
Stage 2: Getting it committed to muscle memory (time consuming)
Stage 3: Using it against opponents (time consuming because you have to account for pressure by the opponent and the fear of misinputs. You have also have to learn how when it's safe and when it's not)
Stage 4: Proficiency (Being able to use it intelligently against high level opponents (This is where I'm at now)
Stage 5: Mastery (time consuming to get here but worth it; being able to use all known uses of the move at will)

Also, although I know the Endi Pivot exists, I would advise learning the real thing if you have the tech skill for it. It's just far more flexible than the Endi Pivot.

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
How do you guys play vs ROB/Robin/other projectile characters

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
This character:4cloud:is the bane of my existence. I can't.Beat.This.Character. No matter how hard I try, I just can't. The ridiculous range and speed just makes him so absurdly annoying to deal with. I have tried everything and I just can't beat this ******** character. Seriously, what is the strategy everyone else uses? I am at a total loss.

Last edited:

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
you could counter him with a projectile character like link as he seems to have a hard time getting around them. the clouds I play tend to love using their side b which can be easily shielded for a punish, try to make cloud waste his limit break. you use meta knight so don't give cloud a chance to recover.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
How do you guys play vs ROB/Robin/other projectile characters
Usually against projectile heavy characters, it's important to watch out for the timings of their projectiles and react accordingly with a roll, dash attack or dash grab. Dimensional Cape also works for hard reads at higher percents.

Our burst movement can sometimes catch them just as they're going to throw out a projectile e.g. :4villager:'s Lloid Rocket or a well timed roll through can allow us to get through the projectile and catch them whilst they're recovering e.g. :4robinm:/:4robinf:'s Arcfire.

Apart from that, a lot of it is match-up specific. I'll take :4rob: and :4robinm:/:4robinf: for example since you mentioned them.

Against :4rob:, dtilt or jab to stop his gyro from spinning and then either throw it up or use it against him.

Throwing it up against him is good since it limits his zoning to chucking out laser instead which has a charge time and that allows you to play neutral more against him. Since he can't throw out another Gyro whilst one is already active. Just be ready to re catch the gyro and throw it up again when it comes back down.

Using it against him also works; we have a good set of special moves to keep the Gyro in our hand and can use his own ledge trap against him as well as get follow-ups off of it.

Video Examples of Gyro Follow-ups

https://youtu.be/apw6xd5Ah2Q?t=3m37s MK Gyro Stuff vs ROB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSYSHeDbfc ROB Ledge Trap

^ Although the above is for ROB we can also do this with our up smash and to an extent fsmash whilst we have the Gyro in our hand as well.

Against :4robinm:/:4robinf:, walking and shielding is essential to not getting clipped by arcfires and all of their other projectiles. They can pressure us with Arcfires, Thunders, ElThunders and to an extent ArcThunders in Dash Attack/Dash Grab range too.

Rolling through arcfires are useful if you can predict one and you can punish it well considering its recovery time isn't really that great in comparison to their other projectiles. They get 6 arcfires until they have to recharge during which they can pick up the empty book and use it as a fairly strong kill move.

For thunders, it's best to watch the level of charge they have whilst they're charging. The bigger the spark, the greater the level of projectile, they're gonna throw out.

Level 1 Thunders can be rolled through and they're good in around our optimal ranges but they don't do a lot of damage. It's best to stay in the air against them and see what they do afterwards. They get 20 level one thunders before they have to reload.

Level 2 Thunders are similar but the recovery on them is a little worse but you don't wanna be caught shielding vs Level 3 Thunders (ArcThunder) since due to the shield stun, they're able to run up and grab you from a good half of FD. They get 7 level 2 thunders before they have to reload iirc and 4 level 3 thunders (ArcThunder)

Level 4 Thunders (Thoron) are useful whilst at range. It has greater knockback the closer you are to Robin but it can still kill us around 130-140% with some rage. They get 3 level 4 thunders before they have to recharge.

There are also certain combinations of Thunder they can use before they have to get rid of the books. I'd suggest going through them in training mode when you have the chance in order to know when to attack.

After 4 Nosferatu spells (Down B) the book can be used to kill and they get 8 swings of the Levin Sword before it becomes a throwable item.

As for jabs, any jab involving the fire spell takes away one arcfire spell and their rapid jab drains their elwind spell. Usually against, their rapid jab, it's best to Down B it if they're whiffing it in neutral or just let it run out if they wanna just let it run out since they could lose their Elwind (up B) when they need it the most. We can also shield grab in between jab 1 and jab 2 if we're close enough.

You also want to have Down B on lock for if they try their zoning game at higher percents to punish poorly timed projectile placement. Camping them also helps when we're in the lead since Robin's mobility is limited in comparison to ours.

These were only two match-up examples but overall against projectile happy characters, you'll wanna mentally keep track of what they resources they have and how they use them against you so you can make reads with timed rolls, dash attacks or dash grabs. Being patient with our multiple jumps as well as walking around also helps. :4metaknight:'s got a good walk speed. We don't need to be running from one side of FD to the other with a Dash Attack just to get in.

Hope this helps. I struggle against zoning characters myself personally but I've been trying to find ways around it.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
This character is the bane of my existence. I can't.Beat.This.Character. No matter how hard I try, I just can't. The ridiculous range and speed just makes him so absurdly annoying to deal with. I have tried everything and I just can't beat this ******** character. Seriously, what is the strategy everyone else uses? I am at a total loss.
Stick close to him (to deter limit charging) but not too close and attack 2nd. Cloud preys on mistakes and holes in defenses but many of his moves are unsafe. Don't be overly aggressive in neutral; just play just outside his range and strike when there's an opening. His throws are pathetic so don't be afraid to hide in shield if need be.

You can also grab him after he's used his Up-B at the ledge since he doesn't ledge snap, this forces an aerial grab-release which he can't recover from without a 2nd jump much like Shulk & Little Mac to a lesser extent. You can also D-Air him after the release to make absolutely sure he's dead but don't let him drag you down with a suicide Up-B.

Anyway, I'm gonna move this topic to the Q&A thread. I hope that helped.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
This character:4cloud:is the bane of my existence. I can't.Beat.This.Character. No matter how hard I try, I just can't. The ridiculous range and speed just makes him so absurdly annoying to deal with. I have tried everything and I just can't beat this ******** character. Seriously, what is the strategy everyone else uses? I am at a total loss.
Dude, this character loses to shield. Very rarely can they pressure you enough to break it without being punished with your oos options first. Also, get creative off stage. Throw cloud off stage even at low percentage. You can hit him with just about anything. His recovery options are extremely linear so you can get away with some pretty foolish stuff off stage and at the ledge too. I've stood at the ledge and straight up shuttle looped cloud as he climhazzard'. Scooped him right up and killed. I'd stick to a shield grab to a release though. Play neutral like an annoying jerk and mk should take this matchup to the bank.

eclipsis17

Smash Cadet
So I've been experimenting with MK's Dash turn animation and more specifically the slide afterward (Slingshot).

I've not seen much around here discussing it and I wanted to know other people's thoughts on this.

His Slingshot seems to go a significant distance (max distance is almost 1/4 of FD) and you can perform sliding uptilts and jabs with it. Both FSmash and D-tilt stop the slide so you are able to use them also to microspace. Uptilt, Jab and DSmash all retain the slide. There is only a small window where you are fully "turning" and not able to perform an action other than jump. Note here that you can always jump out of the turning animation and as such it is not a big commitment.

Once the animation ends, you have access your full grounded moveset (in order to perform Ftilt/FSmash/DA you have to reset the stick to neutral) as well as jump and dash back. Once the sliding begins you still have access to these same options however you are unable to shield until near the end of the slide.

To me this sounds like such a good movement mixup that is never talked about. The slide is significantly longer than a perfect pivot and also much easier to perform consistently. Sliding Uptilt and jab sound like incredible options to me (Uptilt obviously being one of MK's best combo starters).

Mixing this in with regular dance trots and pp's will surely help MK's neutral. Especially in terms of burst movement options. Even if the opponent is in position to punish the little lag you have while turning, because you have access to jump, you are able to fullhop dair away.

It is easy to avoid the issue of this becoming heavily telegraphed by mixing up what you do out of your turn whether it be sliding normal, momentum stopping normal or a jump/dash back or anything else. And because of the little risk attached to this movement it would also be useful for baiting your opponent into thinking you are vulnerable.

Just theory crafting here. Thoughts?

Edit: Performing tilts is much more effective using tilt stick as you are able to keep your control stick in the direction of the slide giving you as much slide as possible although it is perfectly usable with smash stick.

Also, upon further inspection of the cast, it seems Meta Knight has one of the most useful, if not, the most useful Slingshot in the game. It travels the furthest of any of the high tiers, and MK's options out of it are also very good.

Other high tiers with good slingshots are:
Diddy Kong: Long distance. Sliding D- Tilt is very nice. Strict timing.
Captain Falcon: Sliding Jab combined with long distance.
Ryu: Long distance and sliding uptilts/d-tilt (need I say more?)
Rosalina: Long. Also of interest, keeps Luma closer to her than normal

It seems to me, that the characters that benefit most from this technique are MK and Ryu (from the few high tiers I tested).

On a positive note, Sheik's and ZSS slingshots are awful.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I remember Salena using this alot but with Dtilt instead(stops all momentum). There was a vine of a Japanese MK punishing with turn around sliding Utilt and getting the kill combo all because his opponent whiffed something.

Seems like something the western MK users won't bother with but the eastern MKs will use it optimally. Another reason why you shouldn't use smash stick with this character.

Edit: Oh its called "slingshot", well slingshot into Jab is disgusting against Fast fallers especially Fats fallers with large hurtboxes. This tech is as underused as Perfect Pivoting(best used for defensive options than offensively).

Last edited:

chicken2121

Smash Rookie
whats the best way to practice mks u air combos seeing as how training mode doesnt stale moves?

Stylin'

Smash Rookie
I need some guidance of getting up air strings. They always seem to miss, mainly the second hit. Sometimes it goes beyond but I can never complete more than about 4. He seems to go above the oponent on the second one - a case of timing?

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
I need some guidance of getting up air strings. They always seem to miss, mainly the second hit. Sometimes it goes beyond but I can never complete more than about 4. He seems to go above the oponent on the second one - a case of timing?
If you are going above your foe it's probably because of the percent. To get an example of how it should be, practice against Kirby, get him at 13%, hit him with the tip of DA and repeat. You're gonna need a lot of tries; it isn't easy. But that's all there is to it, really. Then is just a matter of changing the percent depending on the character and your rage. Hope I helped!

Seriously, we need to include a basic guide on the OP, because this isn't going to end.

Stylin'

Smash Rookie
If you are going above your foe it's probably because of the percent. To get an example of how it should be, practice against Kirby, get him at 13%, hit him with the tip of DA and repeat. You're gonna need a lot of tries; it isn't easy. But that's all there is to it, really. Then is just a matter of changing the percent depending on the character and your rage. Hope I helped!

Seriously, we need to include a basic guide on the OP, because this isn't going to end.
Thanks a lot mate. Kirby at 13 percent does seem to make it easier. Can't quite get a kill with the finishing up b yet, but I'll get there

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Dude, this character loses to shield. Very rarely can they pressure you enough to break it without being punished with your oos options first. Also, get creative off stage. Throw cloud off stage even at low percentage. You can hit him with just about anything. His recovery options are extremely linear so you can get away with some pretty foolish stuff off stage and at the ledge too. I've stood at the ledge and straight up shuttle looped cloud as he climhazzard'. Scooped him right up and killed. I'd stick to a shield grab to a release though. Play neutral like an annoying jerk and mk should take this matchup to the bank.
Sigh

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
What's the best controller scheme for MK? Someone told me tap jump off. I use default controls. I read c stick with the bumper to jump.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
L or R jump, attack C-stick is all you really need. Even then Ito still uses smash C-stick (dunno if he's changed recently). Tap jump is down to preference, makes Up-B OOS and out of dash easy but I find it annoying overall so I rely on Y and L to jump.

As for trigger jump, I'm actually considering trying Z jump and X grab... Z is a nicer button to jump with.

Schilt

Smash Rookie
Right, so I'm going to be going up against a Ganon player in tourney with an ego that could blot out the sun. Obviously it is now up to me to not feed that ego any more than it's currently been gorged. He's not a complete ****ter, he's relatively competent with Ganon, but I'm not familiar with the matchup as MK, it rarely ever happens.

So, what would be the best way of dealing with Ganon, and more importantly, how do I properly edgeguard him whilst avoiding the side b?

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Play at mid range until he makes a mistake. Then once you get a percent lead camp him. Ganon lacks burst mobility options so it shouldn't be that hard. Choose duck hunt or any other stage with platforms.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Right, so I'm going to be going up against a Ganon player in tourney with an ego that could blot out the sun. Obviously it is now up to me to not feed that ego any more than it's currently been gorged. He's not a complete ****ter, he's relatively competent with Ganon, but I'm not familiar with the matchup as MK, it rarely ever happens.

So, what would be the best way of dealing with Ganon, and more importantly, how do I properly edgeguard him whilst avoiding the side b?
Main things to consider:

If you get some kind of a substantial lead then Ganon must approach you. I lame the **** out of Ganon because he's slow and has no long range presence. I basically hover at mid range as mentioned and try to bait out his moves. Know that he is too heavy to perform Back Air locks on but you do get a bunch of easy combos on him the beginning.

Other general stuff: Up Smash has like no end lag so don't be fooled if they throw it out ad hominem in neutral; its Ganon's version of our F Smash bait. I rarely approach Ganon from the air because all of aerials hurt a LOT and out range ours. I also avoid Dair camping because same deal. You want stay grounded in this MU for sure and avoid any serious commitments. Also watch for the Side B crossups. They will often times use it in neutral to go past you and grab the ledge. Main moves to be on the lookout for are: Jab, Gerudo Dragon, Wizard's Foot, all of his aerials depending on position, Up-Smash and I guess F-Smash because its insanely powerful.

When edgeguarding him just be on the lookout for the Side B and you should be fine. If you're going to try to edgeguard him, do it with Dair from above. Nair is usually a great option but Dark Dive's grab range is absurd (much larger than Falcon's) and will beat out your Nair resulting in a lot of damage. Something advanced you can do (only if you're proficient with this) is if you missed your window to edgeguard Ganondorf and he endsup Dark Diving or using Gerudo Dragon to get on the stage, you can reverse a Shuttle Loop under the ledge and your second hit will cause you to go over the stage and provide a large vertical hitbox that will hit him before he makes it back on, popping him in the air, without a jump. Unfortunately, you will rarely just outright gimp a good Ganon with Bair or Nair unless they HAVE to use Up B from far to grab the ledge.

Most important thing in this MU is to not be afraid of the character. If you play scared/small, it becomes that much easier for Ganon to punish you. If you play normally and play smart, you should be fine.

To get a feel for other Ganons try looking on YT for good ones such as Vermanubis and Ray Kalm.

Protip: Be sure to taunt after every Death Combo if applicable. :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Saltix

Smash Lord
Got my first dose of DA->Uair string->UpB at a tourney this past weekend and tbh, I don't ever want another. How do you deal with this string as floaty and heavy characters? It seemed to work at every percentage, on both of my characters (Rosalina and Mega Man)

Top Bottom