• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
A followup mixup instead of Uairing, a punish tool upon reading an airdodge, spotdodge or roll, and a landing trap for when your opponent makes it painfully obvious where they'll be landing.
That's about it.
:196:

busken

Smash Ace
Just practice the u-air strings until you get it. Rome wasn't built in a day, likewise your combo competence.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If you want the optimal control setup to make it easier, you probably want z set to jump, and c-stick set to tilts.
Just press z and c-stick up at the same time (well c-stick a frame later), while holding left/right/neutral on the left stick to follow their DI (and tap down for fast falling inbetween uairs when required).

Other than that...practice

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I've been trying to perform it for a long while but after 2 up airs or so,my timing fails.
I really want to do that pro combo of uairs to Shuttle Loop
Has anyone managed to do it? If so,how? Could you shoot a video and post it?
Yeah, I have the same problem, anyone know how to do it?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
The easiest way to uair is to push up on the analog stick, and to push the A button while doing so. You have to be in the air for it to work, though. I can post a video if you would like.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
There's even a video guide someone made a while ago with a controller view (although it has flaws, the controller view is nice). People just need to make some effort to look for help which is already out there...

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
is meta knight actully kirby under the mask? i used 2 watch the tv show when i was littl and i always thought because of the ball shape. the kirby boreds hav rly been wondering about this.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
pls somebody confirm

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I don't think it's ever been stated in the mainstream games.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Meta Knight is Kirby's alter ego
The final Kirby game will be a battle within the mind

"I am the REAL Kirby"

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
So I was against a pretty good MK in FG today and he used a tech ive never seen/heard of before. Every time he happened to space with his FSmash and I blocked it, he instantly used Dimensional Cape to land behind me and attack me ; wich really caught me off guard as I just dropped my shield. In another set, the same situation happened except I managed to keep blocking but MK's FSmash+DC attack both do a LOT of shield damage. So then I just started to spotdodge/roll everytime he tried to do this as it ofc became predictable. I find what he did interesting, to use like once in a match to surprise your opponent, but idk. You guys thoughts about this?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
So I was against a pretty good MK in FG today and he used a tech ive never seen/heard of before. Every time he happened to space with his FSmash and I blocked it, he instantly used Dimensional Cape to land behind me and attack me ; wich really caught me off guard as I just dropped my shield. In another set, the same situation happened except I managed to keep blocking but MK's FSmash+DC attack both do a LOT of shield damage. So then I just started to spotdodge/roll everytime he tried to do this as it ofc became predictable. I find what he did interesting, to use like once in a match to surprise your opponent, but idk. You guys thoughts about this?
Junk. Why not just dtilt? The dc isn't guaranteed. Dtilt will usually come out and beat oos options.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Exactly when does MK have to fast fall when he's doing his up air strings? Is it only based on % or is it just something you should innately tell based on the situation?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Fastfalling up-airs should be done when you knock your opponent up with an up-air to a height that the following one would miss because doing a normal air-jump would put Meta Knight above the opponent.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Nice meme.

You should never have to fast fall between uairs, if u have to you're doing the combo at the wrong percent and it probably won't kill.
Sorry >-< I'm just so used to characters not having true combos in smash 4.

In that case I'll just try to find the specific %s it's a true kill combo. How can MK 0-death without fastfalling though? At very low % I don't think up air works without it.

Also what would you say the skill ceiling is for MK after learning his up air combos and becoming relatively proficient in them? As I am back to routine soul searching for a secondary that will give me decent MU coverage.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Sorry >-< I'm just so used to characters not having true combos in smash 4.

In that case I'll just try to find the specific %s it's a true kill combo. How can MK 0-death without fastfalling though? At very low % I don't think up air works without it.

Also what would you say the skill ceiling is for MK after learning his up air combos and becoming relatively proficient in them? As I am back to routine soul searching for a secondary that will give me decent MU coverage.
Doing Uair combos isn't very difficult. It's working MK's neutral and doing other kinds of combos that's hard. MK isn't a very good secondary, you have to put a lot of time into him to make him work. As for uair combos, just get them at the right percents. If you learn bair/footstool combos it's pretty easy to get your opponent to the exact percent you want them to be, and kill them. Something to note is that tipper dash attack lets you start combos earlier than hitting with the first few frames, but hitting with the first few frames works to a higher percent.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You should never have to fast fall between uairs, if u have to you're doing the combo at the wrong percent and it probably won't kill.
...Blatantly not true vs fast fallers.

You need to fast fall between uairs against Fox, or Sheik at the earlier %s that roof combo starts working. (and by fast fall uairs, I mean basically just the first one, sooooometimes the second one)
And these are at %s where you can't link 5 uairs together because you send them too high, and you're comfortably killing them with non-sweetspot up-b.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
You don't need to fast fall against those two, there's literally videos of MK users killing them without fast falling inbetween.

When you get them at the right percent fast falling isn't needed.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Uh, no. If u hit them early enough that you need a fast fall to get a combo, why not just bair/footstool combo. Ur making ur combo easy to escape and unlikely to kill by fast falling between uairs.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Answering question that WILL pop up.

Uair combo related questions(the most spammed question on this and most likely ZSS boards)
Go practice in T-mode, if you want to practice uair combos with staleness and rage being a factor go play friendlies or practice in Smash mode 99 stocks. You honestly shouldn't jump to uair combos, actually try to learn the character(ledge coverage,edgeguarding,neutral,combos ect) instead of trying to abuse uair combos just because you got moist seeing Leo and Abadango play MK.

Do i need to fast fall inbetween uair combos?
No you don't, you only do so if you know the next jump-->uair won't connect but that's honestly you being incompetent since you should do it at the right percents.

What control scheme should i use?
Use whatever YOU want, for reference: Leo(USA MKs in general) uses smash stick, Abadango(Japanese MKs in general) uses tilt stick.

When do you use Tornado?
To cover get up options which conditions your opponent to not buffer a get up, landing ontop of your opponent is a mixup, out of dash attack at low percents, to pressure opponents who tries to platform camp us.

How do i DI uair combos?
There's no straight forward way, just mix it up, you can DI away so you get sent really far of stage making the MK user think twice before going for shuttle loop. But MKs are picking up on this and will most likely hit you with the back of uair to get you back on stage(shout out to Leo vs Vinnie). Shuttle loop is rather simple to DI don't think anyone finds that complicated unlike Boost Kick.

What does MK look like under the mask?

Is Dtilt to Cape/Shuttle loop a true combo?
Dtilt to Cape is guaranteed on Little mac(maybe Charizard) but its not on everyone else. If they miss the tech they die.

Does MK go even with Sheik?
Hell no.

Does MK beat Sheik?
Leave!

Who's a good secondary for MK?
:4diddy::rosalina::4mario::4greninja::4pit: and sheik but the majority don't wanna pocket her nowadays cuz she's boring and mainstream.
If you want to avoid MK dittos(alot of us do) these are good choices: :4greninja::4diddy::4sheik:

What stream should i watch in order to see top/high level MK play?
Landiego
TrainingroomMTY
Teamoxy2
Abadango

Others depending on tournament Tyrant,Ito,Aba,Leo ect attend.

Don't watch: Xanadu, Showdowngg, Tourneylocater, VSGC, Sktar/Ktar/Rushoursmash. They most likely have no MKs at all, if they do then they aren't gonna teach you anything useful.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You don't need to fast fall against those two, there's literally videos of MK users killing them without fast falling inbetween.

When you get them at the right percent fast falling isn't needed.
I know you don't NEED to fast fall at higher %s (in fact, fast falling will screw it up there), but by never utilizing fast fall uairs you're limiting yourself. You're narrowing your dash attack KO % range.

Uh, no. If u hit them early enough that you need a fast fall to get a combo, why not just bair/footstool combo. Ur making ur combo easy to escape and unlikely to kill by fast falling between uairs.
Because they can potentially get out of those.
MK can dash attack Sheik from 26-29% and fast fall after the first uair, and still combo her to death. If you don't fast fall, the second uair misses.
This sort of thing applies to most characters tbh.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Answering question that WILL pop up.

Uair combo related questions(the most spammed question on this and most likely ZSS boards)
Go practice in T-mode, if you want to practice uair combos with staleness and rage being a factor go play friendlies or practice in Smash mode 99 stocks. You honestly shouldn't jump to uair combos, actually try to learn the character(ledge coverage,edgeguarding,neutral,combos ect) instead of trying to abuse uair combos just because you got moist seeing Leo and Abadango play MK.

Do i need to fast fall inbetween uair combos?
No you don't, you only do so if you know the next jump-->uair won't connect but that's honestly you being incompetent since you should do it at the right percents.

What control scheme should i use?
Use whatever YOU want, for reference: Leo(USA MKs in general) uses smash stick, Abadango(Japanese MKs in general) uses tilt stick.

When do you use Tornado?
To cover get up options which conditions your opponent to not buffer a get up, landing ontop of your opponent is a mixup, out of dash attack at low percents, to pressure opponents who tries to platform camp us.

How do i DI uair combos?
There's no straight forward way, just mix it up, you can DI away so you get sent really far of stage making the MK user think twice before going for shuttle loop. But MKs are picking up on this and will most likely hit you with the back of uair to get you back on stage(shout out to Leo vs Vinnie). Shuttle loop is rather simple to DI don't think anyone finds that complicated unlike Boost Kick.

What does MK look like under the mask?

Is Dtilt to Cape/Shuttle loop a true combo?
Dtilt to Cape is guaranteed on Little mac(maybe Charizard) but its not on everyone else. If they miss the tech they die.

Does MK go even with Sheik?
Hell no.

Does MK beat Sheik?
Leave!

Who's a good secondary for MK?
:4diddy::rosalina::4mario::4greninja::4pit: and sheik but the majority don't wanna pocket her nowadays cuz she's boring and mainstream.
If you want to avoid MK dittos(alot of us do) these are good choices: :4greninja::4diddy::4sheik:

What stream should i watch in order to see top/high level MK play?
Landiego
TrainingroomMTY
Teamoxy2
Abadango

Others depending on tournament Tyrant,Ito,Aba,Leo ect attend.

Don't watch: Xanadu, Showdowngg, Tourneylocater, VSGC, Sktar/Ktar/Rushoursmash. They most likely have no MKs at all, if they do then they aren't gonna teach you anything useful.

Should be added to the OP.

RATED

Smash Lord
Can MK actually use dance trots as a movement tool? I been thinking about it recently but idk. I been on training mode regarding that. Could help on neutral

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
He very much can, it's just that his is quite hard to pull off consistently. In my experience at least.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Dance trotting is amazing with mk once you get it down. Like Captain Falcon, he gets a lot of mileage off of using it with dash grabs and dash attacks. I've been making a lot of use with it in tournament play.

RATED

Smash Lord
Dance trotting is amazing with mk once you get it down. Like Captain Falcon, he gets a lot of mileage off of using it with dash grabs and dash attacks. I've been making a lot of use with it in tournament play.
Thats what I been thinking since MK is a threat when he is being mobile in the ground. He could mix it up to keep the pressure with good movement

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's harder to do on MK than other fighters but it is a very good dance trot. Worth learning. Also foxtrot fsmash is godlike.

Verin

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm an up-and-coming MK from the Chicago area and I enjoy playing a fast and aggressive MK but end up losing often due to how unsafe my aggression is. Is there any kind of way I can be safer in my aggression without flat-out camping? I appreciate all of your input!

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I feel like that question answers itself.

eclipsis17

Smash Cadet
I was reading through Ito's throw guide and he mentions that down throw to rar bair (first 2 hits) into a jab lock doesn't work and will get you punished on hit. Can someone explain this? I've been using it to get successful jab lock setups which is why I'm confused. Thanks in advance

busken

Smash Ace
The reason why this doesn't work because RaR b-air doesn't true combo unless you do it immediately, and if you do it immediately you have to buffer the b-air and a buffered b-air will always get 3 hits no matter how quickly you fast fall. You need to RaR jump then wait a split second to b-air jab lock and on characters with quick aerials they can easily escape and on fastfallers if they DI d-throw it will never work.

Top Bottom