• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mental Block

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
I'm sure I'm not the only one like this but I have a different mind set when doing friendlies to tourney. I feel I do 10x better at friendlies then tourney matches. I dont know, I just get really overwhelmed and make stupid mistakes and know I'm better but can't get past it.

If this happen to or is happening to anyone it'd be great to know. Shed some light on how you moved past it to improve your game. I know I'm not a bad player but when I do tourneys I feel like I'm not good. Help! ha

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i felt the same way. before MLG Dallas i told myself that this would probably be the last tournament i'd ever travel for, let alone a major one at that. so basically i just said '**** it', stopped worrying about everything i did and just...played. as if i had nothing to lose and yet so much to prove. and i felt like i played much better than i ever had before (the second day anyway, i was still doing silly stuff the first day since i was rusty).

i guess i just stopped worrying about every mistake i would make (or COULD make) and what i was trying to do. that just let me focus on what was important in order to compete. dunno if this is what is bothering you, but i hope it sheds some light on your predicament. <3

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
This used to happen to me BIG time. I noticed I was sandbagging hard against scrubs in tournament, but whenever I friendlied top players, I was playing all out. I realized when I played top players, I was trying my hardest to be on their level. I wanted to be recognized as a talented player, and just knowing that I was playing a top player made me step my game up.

Sometime early this semester, it just kinda clicked. I wasn't in the shadows of PhantomX and Hylian anymore. I was one of the top players in my scene, and it was time to act like it on a daily basis, both in-game and out.

Ever since then, I almost always play all out every match. Granted, I'm naturally going to focus a LOT more if it's a MM or a tournament match, but that's only natural. The only exception to this rule is the occasional super scrubby Meta Knight. I don't do anything fancy. Just get the lead and stand there and let MK approach me. I get bored as hell and do basic stuff because mindgames don't work on MKs who spam Nado and downsmash.

I hope some of this helps, Adam. You're a very talented player. :)

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Maybe one thing you could try is to play super legit and serious in some friendlies before a tournament. Like camp if you can (not sure if you do that in friendlies) and pretend there is a lot on the line in your head. Think of it as a match to prove whether or not you can handle this tournament, make it a mm too and you've got a lot of stress which is what you need. On the other hand just play casually in tournament.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
It's a different mindset, it helped me to play top players in friendlies so I wouldn't slow down in pace, keeping the tournament flow high.

but sometimes i do need a break, so for that I enjoy watching other players so I get distracted to the actual tournament.

(edited my post coz it didn't make sense:p )

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Your putting to much stress in tournies like everyone is saying Adam.....you gotta just get a general mindset of play instead of seperating friendlies and tourny play. As zigsta said if you play all out all the time then your not really changing how you play when your in tourny.

It's hard to do but for the most part just go all out and give nothing to anyone....that way when the time comes you can be sure that your playing to the fullest no matter what. As long as your always trying to play correctly and play as hard as you can it will start just becoming muscle memory. That way it kicks in like instinct which is what honestly what will make some players better than others.

But you still kick ***.......#1 zard till the end is always Mata's lvl 199 zard. Freakin' hacker

Scatz

Smash Champion
Play as if you have nothing to lose. When you're enjoying yourself and not worrying about something insignificant, you'll play better. You can always try listening to music while you play or chew gum during matches to put your mind at ease.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Thank you, all of you for your help and support. I'll really try what a lot of you said and I think it should help. Its just discouraging sometimes but knowing you guys went through something similar or know how to combat the situation helps a lot. Really thanks again!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, breaks always help.

It's also important to not remember the times you failed in tournament. Remember the successes you've had. Past success is a much better motivator for improvement than failure.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I know Ramses didn't mentioned it here, but a lot of people tend to get in some sort of "state" which their comfortable in while wearing headphones and playing music.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I know sometimes I get in the zone from either adrenaline or fast-intense music. That what you mean?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I know Ramses didn't mentioned it here, but a lot of people tend to get in some sort of "state" which their comfortable in while wearing headphones and playing music.
You mean listen to music from your headphones while you play smash, not listen to music while you play music, right?

I think I would feel at a disadvantage wearing headphones, it pretty much strips you of a sense. Even though sound is pretty useless in Brawl I still wouldn't like it.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Yes, it does rob you from a sense but if it helps you relax and pretty stay in your own "world" it can really benefit a player. (listen to music while you smash)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually can't play without hearing the game.

If I can't hear it, I end up SDing a lot. Like, random DAirs from the ledge as GaW, ledge dropped Up-Bs as Dedede, I have no idea why it happens but it does.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Same here. It's why I just hack my Wii to put my music in the game itself, haha.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
I don't think headphones work for me though :p I was super busy and was late for a tourney today, right when I got there I had to play without warming up and I did horrible ha. We were in pools and the people who lost could pa a few bucks for a losers bracket or whatever. I decided to to do that. So i was just going with what some of you guys said and I ended up taking 1st in that :) It felt really good, and I think i kinda know what I need to do to play better. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom