• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Tournament! Buena Park CA

PNTBuenaPark

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm the Manager of Play N Trade in Buena Park. Play N Trade is a video game store and hang out where you can try games in store.; we also have tournaments each month.

So far we've had 3 Smash Bros. tournaments and now we have another coming up August 11th. Now, this isn't some grand tournament, so while we follow many of the basic MLG rules, certain things like counter picking stages and counter picking characters aren't really enforced (This could be a good or bad thing for you guys, but we do this because of time constraints, so bear with us!). Here's some of the basic info for you guys including prize detail:

Date: Saturday, August 11

Time: 5p.m.

Place: Play N Trade (tournament is held in-store)
8901 Valley View St
Buena Park, CA 90620

We're located on the corner of Lincoln and Valley View right next to Cypress College!

Entry Fee: $10

Prizes: 1st Place - Nintendo Wii
2nd Place - Smash Bros. Brawl (when released) + Smash Bros. T-Shirt
3rd Place - Smash Bros. T-Shirt

These will be singles matches and single elimination style. Standard 4 stock, 8 minute matches, and each round will be 2 out of 3 matches. PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS! The store will not be supplying controllers for use. If you forget to bring one, you may borrow one from someone else.

Each round the stage will be chosen at random. Between rounds you may select your character (counter picking isn't in effect for this tournament).

Stages in random: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium.

As always glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character (Mewtwo's soul stunner, ice climbers freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in immediate forfeit.

Be sure to check in-store for more information!

*I know some of the rules are a bit flimsy and aren't suited for true tournament style playing, but this isn't a serious tournament, it's meant to be a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone. Thanks you guys and we hope to see you there!

I'll check back periodically to answer questions!

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
If its not supposed to be a serious tournament, then it shouldn't be $10 IMO.

-_-

PNTBuenaPark

Smash Rookie
If its not supposed to be a serious tournament, then it shouldn't be $10 IMO.

-_-

The reason for the $10 is to basically pay off the prizes. We don't usually have a lot of people show up, and even at 30 people that'd be $300 not even enough to pay off the Nintendo Wii and Brawl. If we get more than said people, we will moer than likely increase the prize pot.

Considering this, we normally don't get over 20 people for the smash tournaments since we never have reached out to the community, just the general public.

Edit:: And what I mean by the tournament not being serious, is that we're not here for rankings or anything too competative, this is mainly about having fun and winning prizes.

QTP

The "Sonic" of Diddy Kong
The reason for the $10 is to basically pay off the prizes. We don't usually have a lot of people show up, and even at 30 people that'd be $300 not even enough to pay off the Nintendo Wii and Brawl. If we get more than said people, we will moer than likely increase the prize pot.

Considering this, we normally don't get over 20 people for the smash tournaments since we never have reached out to the community, just the general public.

Edit:: And what I mean by the tournament not being serious, is that we're not here for rankings or anything too competative, this is mainly about having fun and winning prizes.
that's cool... and understandable..
i run touneys at a local lan center and it takes quite a lot of money for everything involved in the tourney, (food,prizes, cubes,etc..).

what major cities is buena park located at?

-QTP

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Hey, this is Dan H. I've been to every one of these tournaments so far... I'll try to talk to some people I know to raise publicity for this tourny.

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
I'd definitely go but I hate single elimination, and most video game store tournaments are like noobfests (I'm not assuming this one will be though)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
IMO, Double Elimination/Single match is more fun than Single Elimination/Best of 3. And its faster too.

You guys should consider that.

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
Hey Dan, this is Dayne from PnT. And to answer Marth/Falco Pro, our first smash tourny we had a lot of n00b players, now we just have semi-decent, decent, and good players playing.

@JTB: We did double elimination before at the first smash tournament, though things got quite hectic (consider that we have the same staff that runs Play N Trade running the tournament at the same time) and though we have a tournament making program, people didn't want to wait around a long time for the tournament so people left, winners by default, that whole ordeal. Of course, that was when we had over 80 participants....

Anyways, next time we'll take the Double elim/Single match into consideration, but for now, we've already been advertising this way for over a week. Thanks for lookin' out though.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Connor, you'd have a really good shot of winning if you went.

And Dayne, yeah... the first tournament was hectic. You guys were trying to get rid of people so badly! When I lost the first game, you had me play like 5 in a row right after that.:laugh:

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
Connor, you'd have a really good shot of winning if you went.

And Dayne, yeah... the first tournament was hectic. You guys were trying to get rid of people so badly! When I lost the first game, you had me play like 5 in a row right after that.:laugh:
haha. that wasn't intentional I promise you. lol. Corporate was yelling at me to get people going faster, so I just went straight through the list, and then since we had all those TVs going, when we thinned out we ended up doubling up.

And @ Everyone: Honestly, there aren't too many "AMAZING" players that come to PnT so it'd be nice to see some high quality players come in, you guys would have more of a chance at winning as well.

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
Probably not (like I mentioned, we aren't to fancy), but if you want your matches recorded, I'll see what I can do since I have a PSP chotto shot that records fairly well. It's not directly sourced though, it's just a small vidcam. And I'd also have to try and juggle that while running the store at the same time. I'll see how much help we'll have and I'll get back to you on that.

stryderhyru

Smash Journeyman
so no doubles?? ima go either way even if i have no chance to win the wii id like to win brawl though O.O xP

X-threilyss

Smash Apprentice
O.o *drool* that 1st place prize is sooooo tempting.. I'll definintley see if i can come..

XD I bet that most of the people attending will be people that don't already have a Wii, like me XD haha..

stryderhyru

Smash Journeyman
do u like us coming bcuz of the competition O.O bcuz if so that wuld make me feel real awsomely cool that sumone wants me to show bcuz they think im good O.O.....srry for the ranting LOL ^_^....also boolossus wanna samus ditto in a friendly at the turny i got sum new stuff wit my secondary id like to show peoplz O.o so u up for it? and does anyone wanna shiek ditto? srry no mm just for fun guys xP

X-Threilyss - XD I bet that most of the people attending will be people that don't already have a Wii, like me XD haha..

i have a wii and im goin o.o i wanna go for the sheer exp but winnin the wii is awsome also xP

Wreckless

Smash Journeyman
I bet good/rank people are still gunna come to this, if they don't than i'll try to make time to come to this.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
do u like us coming bcuz of the competition O.O bcuz if so that wuld make me feel real awsomely cool that sumone wants me to show bcuz they think im good O.O.....srry for the ranting LOL ^_^....also boolossus wanna samus ditto in a friendly at the turny i got sum new stuff wit my secondary id like to show peoplz O.o so u up for it? and does anyone wanna shiek ditto? srry no mm just for fun guys xP

X-Threilyss - XD I bet that most of the people attending will be people that don't already have a Wii, like me XD haha..

i have a wii and im goin o.o i wanna go for the sheer exp but winnin the wii is awsome also xP
Yeah, it's for the competition... people that go there aren't that good... save a select handful. I'll gladly Samus ditto you, hopefully it'll turn out better than the last Samus ditto I had. x_x I can Sheik ditto you as well if you want to.

stryderhyru

Smash Journeyman
hey 6th if i win ill see bout sellin it to ya O.o kk? i have one so i wuldnt see a problem in it but i was mostly comin bcuzi wanted to win it for my cuzin he cant afford one and his parents say its a waste of mula so they wont buy it so i was tryin to win him one sum how and walla this thread popped up lol xP i hope i can win it for him though T-T

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
@Dan: That'd be cool. Depending on what time the tournament ends, we'll have the systems set up for a while so people can stay and play some rounds after (up until about 8:00pm when the store closes. Also, I'll see about setting up store ranking based on the places of this tournament (you know that thing has been sitting there for the longest time without names. haha)

QTP

The "Sonic" of Diddy Kong
yeah, driving 8 hours isn't worth a wii in my opinion...

too far away. :(

-QTP

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Haha, like 3 tournaments have gone by, and that thing hasn't changed a bit. I remember that there were rankings up there at one point, but they got erased.

6th Sense

Smash Lord
hey 6th if i win ill see bout sellin it to ya O.o kk? i have one so i wuldnt see a problem in it but i was mostly comin bcuzi wanted to win it for my cuzin he cant afford one and his parents say its a waste of mula so they wont buy it so i was tryin to win him one sum how and walla this thread popped up lol xP i hope i can win it for him though T-T
Good deal..I'll just buy it off you then..an' you can buy your cousin one haha ever1 wins ya?

Top Bottom