• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
anyone unconsciously associate different colors for characters with different playstyles? here's an example from me:

fox:
white: generally rely less on ‘fox stuff’ than good fundamentals. most likely to not actually main the character and hence to know the least about random fox stuff.
green: expect jank. always expect jank. i think silent wolf is like the only green fox i've seen that isn't incredibly jank. playing against a green fox is the absolute worst because you know you're about to see something weird, you just have no idea what
red: typically aggressive players and/or mango fans. i have never fought a campy or even remotely defensive person that has used the reeses pieces skin. usually not awful but rarely amazing. reach for reads a lot. generally pretty cool people outside of the game.
blue: time's ‘most likely to foxmaster you to death 2015’. usually really technical, would be super scary if mental game was more refined. people who use this color are usually ‘characters‘ in real life if nothing else. the variance in skill level from blue fox to blue fox is usually higher than it is for any other color. could be amazing, could be terrible, could be mediocre. you really never know.

Last edited:

Ashura_Kioku

Smash Rookie
Hey Axe i just moved down South from Ohio and looking for the pro to train with in Atlanta Georgia seeing how it s really close to where i live in Snellville, Georgia. Any advice?
Hello everyone :)[/quote]

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Hey Axe i just moved down South from Ohio and looking for the pro to train with in Atlanta Georgia seeing how it s really close to where i live in Snellville, Georgia. Any advice?
Hello everyone :)
Why don't you message him instead?....if you want a pro to train you I would expect to pay him for his time.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Why don't you message him instead?....if you want a pro to train you I would expect to pay him for his time.

Hey plunder I've seen you around on SB before and I wanted to ask you what's it like maining G&W in melee, I main Roy so I get the whole low teir dream bois but what's it been like for you?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Hey plunder I've seen you around on SB before and I wanted to ask you what's it like maining G&W in melee, I main Roy so I get the whole low teir dream bois but what's it been like for you?
I actually play a bit of Roy too, but it's a very gimmicky counter heavy and D-tilt/grab/Fsmash spamming Roy.

G&W seems very viable in my area, I think that's probably true for a lot of "mediocre" regions. He has such massive disjointed long lasting hitboxes that not many top tier mains know how to cope (most who have played 2-5 more years than I). Fox and Sheik are the only problems I have due to their speed and quick moves, but I can still duck lasers and some of sheiks shenanigans. When you get really good at sweet spotting with Up-B almost no player can challenge your recovery, so I feel very safe on the ledge against 99% of players in my area (G&W has a massive ledge grab radius as well). He's also got a good Wavedash and SHFFL so I feel pretty satisfied with his movement and platform maneuvering.

All in all it's pretty awesome and he feels like a high tier or even top tier when I play him at locals (people in my area are pretty free I'm guessing).

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
why did hbox get booed and hated? he played smart and very methodical
The reason people gave him ****, was because of his play-style. The guy played hella defense by hanging around the edge, which some games go on a lot longer than they should have. Like his match against Armada that got timed out.

I aint saying thats a bad thing, don't get me wrong. He did play smart and he played to win, especially if the 1st place pot 11Gs. Hell, if I was him I would've done the same too, lol. I want that ****ing money!

But for real, for the people watching, I can see how they could get a bit pissed off over the sm4sh-like set, lol.

But if you were in his position, ask yourself. Are you playing to put on a show? Or you trying to win? 0.o

TS 836

Smash Rookie
Tomorrow I'm entering my first real tourney, I've been to a few a bit.....so technically it isn't my first tourney but I was basically scoping out the competition and seeing what my area can do.

I probably put more than 20 hours this past week into the game, as a Falco Main perfecting my tech skill to the highest level I can.

I really feel I have a chance, since even though I lost the last 3 tourney's I went too, I learned alot.

Any tips from those who have been doing this awhile?

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Tomorrow I'm entering my first real tourney, I've been to a few a bit.....so technically it isn't my first tourney but I was basically scoping out the competition and seeing what my area can do.

I probably put more than 20 hours this past week into the game, as a Falco Main perfecting my tech skill to the highest level I can.

I really feel I have a chance, since even though I lost the last 3 tourney's I went too, I learned alot.

Listen to music while you play, It keeps you focused and makes the background crowd quieter

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029

A little late I know, But ima throw in my 2 cents

One thing to watch out for is "tourney jitters". You post that you already been to a few tournaments. So should be somewhat used to the stress.

It's different for everybody, but I remember getting hella stress in my first few tournaments that it cost me sets. If you prone to this, MM different people is one good way to condition yourself.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Long time lurker, first time poster. Recently started working on the competitive side of it. I usually play in Athens, but probably gonna start going to the Smash Fest at Georgia Tech. Anyone else here in the area?
This from an older post, but i'll post it again.

http://smashboards.com/threads/georgia-social-thread.206029/

Try asking your question there man, someone should help you out. Im in TX. So can't really help out much, my bad.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
I just picked up my old copy of Melee from my mom's house (still works praise da lawd) and I was wondering which character is the best for learning fundamentals and basic tech stuff. I think I'd like to main Falco, but I've heard Marth is a good starter.

EDIT: Also playing on an ancient silver controller and the joystick pops out of place every once in a while, is the black Smash 4 controller my best option? I've gone through two used ones by now so if it's the best option I'll just spend the $40 or however much.

Last edited:

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
I recently found out one of my friends played Netplay Melee. We did that, until I go Kirby, 4 stock him with an inhale finisher. He ragequitted, removed and blocked me from Steam.

Then, a day later, he adds me again and he admits he was wrong to have ragequitted, and we play Melee again. I go Kirby again, this time 3 stock him, and before he dies, I just taunt and pause, zoom in and unpause. Since he did that everytime he won, might aswell throw his own crap at him.
Ragequit, removed and blocked me from Steam again. His last words were the following.

GLad I actually removed you now because you are the biggest asshole ive ever seen, lose the ego ******.
Truly, one of the best sports I've ever met.
xd

Last edited:

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I just picked up my old copy of Melee from my mom's house (still works praise da lawd) and I was wondering which character is the best for learning fundamentals and basic tech stuff. I think I'd like to main Falco, but I've heard Marth is a good starter.

EDIT: Also playing on an ancient silver controller and the joystick pops out of place every once in a while, is the black Smash 4 controller my best option? I've gone through two used ones by now so if it's the best option I'll just spend the $40 or however much.
Yah the newer one aren't to bad and Marth is a great character to learn fundamentals

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Anyone know if taking a week or two off it could cause my game to get rusty? Yall had any hard time re-adjusting after taking a small break from melee?

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
sometimes when i'm bored and there's nothing to do (it's like 6am as i type this) i just go back to leffen's stream and watch his friendlies against armada

melee is so sick lol
i could watch these videos for days and not get bored, probably
sometimes i just wish we had more recordings of top 10ish players (maybe even just top 6-7) just hanging out and playing friendlies with each other because i feel like you just learn so much from them

i can't wait until i get good at this game

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
sometimes when i'm bored and there's nothing to do (it's like 6am as i type this) i just go back to leffen's stream and watch his friendlies against armada

melee is so sick lol
i could watch these videos for days and not get bored, probably
sometimes i just wish we had more recordings of top 10ish players (maybe even just top 6-7) just hanging out and playing friendlies with each other because i feel like you just learn so much from them

i can't wait until i get good at this game
I feel the same way about everything you said in this. It's almost 7 here, I haven't slept... my shenanigans keep me awake and I don't Sleep to try to fix my sleeping schedule... I don't know why I think this way.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I feel the same way about everything you said in this. It's almost 7 here, I haven't slept... my shenanigans keep me awake and I don't Sleep to try to fix my sleeping schedule... I don't know why I think this way.
I tried that man... It didn't work though it just made things worse

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
anyone unconsciously associate different colors for characters with different playstyles? here's an example from me:

fox:
white: generally rely less on ‘fox stuff’ than good fundamentals. most likely to not actually main the character and hence to know the least about random fox stuff.
green: expect jank. always expect jank. i think silent wolf is like the only green fox i've seen that isn't incredibly jank. playing against a green fox is the absolute worst because you know you're about to see something weird, you just have no idea what
red: typically aggressive players and/or mango fans. i have never fought a campy or even remotely defensive person that has used the reeses pieces skin. usually not awful but rarely amazing. reach for reads a lot. generally pretty cool people outside of the game.
blue: time's ‘most likely to foxmaster you to death 2015’. usually really technical, would be super scary if mental game was more refined. people who use this color are usually ‘characters‘ in real life if nothing else. the variance in skill level from blue fox to blue fox is usually higher than it is for any other color. could be amazing, could be terrible, could be mediocre. you really never know.
My playstyle changes when I'm switching colours. It's really weird. I think It's a mental thing.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Man, what happened to this thread? lol

Anyways, anyone ever felt a difference in input when playing on the gamecube vs. the wii? I don't know why, but I feel that the wii has a slight buffer than the gamecube. 100% sure i'm full of **** though, lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Man, what happened to this thread? lol

Anyways, anyone ever felt a difference in input when playing on the gamecube vs. the wii? I don't know why, but I feel that the wii has a slight buffer than the gamecube. 100% sure i'm full of **** though, lol.
YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

-2chainz. Couldn't resist.

No though. No difference.

Top Bottom