• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
So, just to be clear, these won't work with the latest version?
It would, but the affected characters would have 3.5's moveset attributes, which would break the nature of the movesets, in technical terms.
^ That... And the ones I worked on so far... freeze the frickin game lol. I need a copy of Brawl so I can test stuff again... Or... oooooooo I wonder if I can try USB loading on my Wii... We'll see. It's gonna be the project over the next few days.

Obskore

Smash Ace
setting up USB loading on your Wii is not hard, it just takes like 1 or 2 hours depending on if you already have it softmodded or not.
also, should i break loose on the "sound design" for Brawl characters? i'll try to write all the mess on a .txt and have long sessions with the debug mode and dig around the internet for sounds in case that the current sounds Melee has are awkward for them (like Ike, none of the Melee hit sounds fit for his sword, could anyone suggest some?)

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
setting up USB loading on your Wii is not hard, it just takes like 1 or 2 hours depending on if you already have it softmodded or not.
also, should i break loose on the "sound design" for Brawl characters? i'll try to write all the mess on a .txt and have long sessions with the debug mode and dig around the internet for sounds in case that the current sounds Melee has are awkward for them (like Ike, none of the Melee hit sounds fit for his sword, could anyone suggest some?)
I say definitely go crazy with the sounds. For Ike I was gonna leave his hit sounds the same and just change the swing sounds... which were gonna be a combo of the super heavy swings (the ones that DK has on his aerials) with the normal sword swings. I think those'll be appropriate for big ******* blunt blade Ragnell lol... And a .txt would definitely be superrr awesome. That way I don't have to scroll through the thread constantly to remember your suggestions lol.

Alsooooo... (what's the best method for USB loading. I saw a tutorial for USB Loader GX on reddit but I feel like there's a *simpler* method that I could use. One of my old friends had such a setup that didn't require changing so many settings every time you wanted to play.

Also alsooooo... will USB loading allow me to use an SD Card bigger than 2GB... cause my build of PM (which I'm eventually one day at some point in some universe gonna get to) is gonna be ridiculously huge. I've already custom looped like 200 songs for it lol

Obskore

Smash Ace
I say definitely go crazy with the sounds. For Ike I was gonna leave his hit sounds the same and just change the swing sounds... which were gonna be a combo of the super heavy swings (the ones that DK has on his aerials) with the normal sword swings. I think those'll be appropriate for big ******* blunt blade Ragnell lol... And a .txt would definitely be superrr awesome. That way I don't have to scroll through the thread constantly to remember your suggestions lol.

Alsooooo... (what's the best method for USB loading. I saw a tutorial for USB Loader GX on reddit but I feel like there's a *simpler* method that I could use. One of my old friends had such a setup that didn't require changing so many settings every time you wanted to play.

Also alsooooo... will USB loading allow me to use an SD Card bigger than 2GB... cause my build of PM (which I'm eventually one day at some point in some universe gonna get to) is gonna be ridiculously huge. I've already custom looped like 200 songs for it lol
i use a newly-acquired 4gb SD Card (because it was about time lol) for my PM build, it sure will work!

my setup is USB Loader CFG. when you get NTSC Brawl, in the USB Loader menu change the settings for Brawl like this:

Ocarina Cheats: ON
Hooktype: AXNextFrame
Save Settings and start game

also, make sure you have all your cIOSs up to date, i'm pretty sure any guide will walk you through that as well.

ok then, time for me to type a lot

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Amazerommu Amazerommu Will you be doing veterans' SFX you haven't listed yet? They can be found in BV.
Yes... I started on Puff at some point last year like right after 3.6... Her Neutral B is super weird though and annoying. A looooooot of trial and error and I still don't have it exactly right. As a result... the puffball has taken the backburner for a bit. Her US, JP and FR voices are all nice and tidy though. Just gotta get it to play the sounds in the right places for the specials.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Yes... I started on Puff at some point last year like right after 3.6... Her Neutral B is super weird though and annoying. A looooooot of trial and error and I still don't have it exactly right. As a result... the puffball has taken the backburner for a bit. Her US, JP and FR voices are all nice and tidy though. Just gotta get it to play the sounds in the right places for the specials.
did you Melee-ify her to a true state? y'know her Nair plays Punch-L on hit in Melee, right? and Uair plays Kick-L on hit as well (though i'd be ok with PM's fan hit for Uair). did you port that over? i'm so picky on that matter lol

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
did you Melee-ify her to a true state? y'know her Nair plays Punch-L on hit in Melee, right? and Uair plays Kick-L on hit as well (though i'd be ok with PM's fan hit for Uair). did you port that over? i'm so picky on that matter lol
Yeah I'd done all that. Well not the fan hit thingy, but all the other attacks yeah.

SmashTheOni

Smash Rookie
You could say so about Puff, her clips are crappier quality in Brawl though, same for Kirby (though I do like his Star KO clip a tad more.)
That's exactly how I feel about Bowser in Brawl. I don't like his cheap digital roar sounds, but I love his Star KO

Obskore

Smash Ace
That's exactly how I feel about Bowser in Brawl. I don't like his cheap digital roar sounds, but I love his Star KO
about that, there were versions for some characters that kept the original Brawl voices and most probably will be there again soon (TM)
also, for Melee Bowser's entry, could it be possible to add that laugh he has in the 64 Mario Party games? lol

BTW, i switched from a plain .txt to Office Word document, i realised i needed a bit better organization for the text. i've done Wario, Zamus and Sonic so far, next is Diddy and i'll continue in the roster's order

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
about that, there were versions for some characters that kept the original Brawl voices and most probably will be there again soon (TM)
also, for Melee Bowser's entry, could it be possible to add that laugh he has in the 64 Mario Party games? lol

BTW, i switched from a plain .txt to Office Word document, i realised i needed a bit better organization for the text. i've done Wario, Zamus and Sonic so far, next is Diddy and i'll continue in the roster's order
SmashTheOni SmashTheOni Obsokre summed it up. Melee SFX with Brawl voice for Bowser is the teets. (I actually use it cause I like Bowser's Star KO sound as well. Brawl Weegee had a 'Brelee' version as well. I don't like Kirby's enough to do that though, but I might possibly make one for him when I do get around to it. Or I'll update all his other SFX and have an optional .sawnd that leaves his Star KO. Iunno... All the things in these parentheses)

Also Yeeeeeeeeeeeeess! I do remember you doing those guys before. I bet Diddy will be ez for the most part. I have some ideas for him.

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
SmashTheOni SmashTheOni Obsokre summed it up. Melee SFX with Brawl voice for Bowser is the teets. (I actually use it cause I like Bowser's Star KO sound as well. Brawl Weegee had a 'Brelee' version as well. I don't like Kirby's enough to do that though, but I might possibly make one for him when I do get around to it. Or I'll update all his other SFX and have an optional .sawnd that leaves his Star KO. Iunno... All the things in these parentheses)

Also Yeeeeeeeeeeeeess! I do remember you doing those guys before. I bet Diddy will be ez for the most part. I have some ideas for him.
Speaking of Bowser, is Giga's SFX included as well?

Obskore

Smash Ace
excuse me, now that i've thoroughly tested and examined the sounds in Melee (music off, feed to headphones, training mode, speed x1/4, metal box to turn off voices, sound test), i found out that Melee modulates a lot of sounds and turns them into different ones by changing pitch and apparently attack time (commonly used in sampling and music), for example: Young Link's high-pitched sword swings, which is clever. the odd thing is that Brawl doesn't do that as far as i know and it's odd.

moreover, i'm selecting and compiling a folder with the Melee sounds rip from Sounds Resource and renaming them for easier management and organization, as well as making them intuitive to recognize by name.
so, Amazerommu Amazerommu , i see you got the Melee Throw sound in the latest patch you released, where did you get it from? as i said, the rip i got doesn't have it. so i'm curious as to what compilation or selection of sounds you exactly use.

OK, as for Diddy, i got the plans done, so next is Wolf. and speaking of which, i really want him to keep a different shine sound, and I KNOW WHAT SOUND IT SHOULD BE but i don't know how to find it, i've heard it in cartoons and some games (i think it was Jet Force Gemini), it's also hard to describe. but i've mostly heard it in computer or virtual reality scenes. it sounds like a Star Wars X-Wing's firing noise, but it's higher pitched and feels more synth-ish.
NVM FOUND IT WHILE TYPING! >:0

edit: hey, would you mind if i tap the veterans a bit too? i've been curious about treating their entry animations and new taunts. also speaking of which, would you support the idea of adding outside sounds or just keeping it as Melee as possible? because i thought of suggesting to make Zelda and Sheik have sounds from OoT for her entry animations but at the same time they might sound out of place

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
also speaking of which, would you support the idea of adding outside sounds or just keeping it as Melee as possible? because i thought of suggesting to make Zelda and Sheik have sounds from OoT for her entry animations but at the same time they might sound out of place
Dunno about you, but I'm keeping Smash 4 Roy. End o' story.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
excuse me, now that i've thoroughly tested and examined the sounds in Melee (music off, feed to headphones, training mode, speed x1/4, metal box to turn off voices, sound test), i found out that Melee modulates a lot of sounds and turns them into different ones by changing pitch and apparently attack time (commonly used in sampling and music), for example: Young Link's high-pitched sword swings, which is clever. the odd thing is that Brawl doesn't do that as far as i know and it's odd.

moreover, i'm selecting and compiling a folder with the Melee sounds rip from Sounds Resource and renaming them for easier management and organization, as well as making them intuitive to recognize by name.
so, Amazerommu Amazerommu , i see you got the Melee Throw sound in the latest patch you released, where did you get it from? as i said, the rip i got doesn't have it. so i'm curious as to what compilation or selection of sounds you exactly use.

OK, as for Diddy, i got the plans done, so next is Wolf. and speaking of which, i really want him to keep a different shine sound, and I KNOW WHAT SOUND IT SHOULD BE but i don't know how to find it, i've heard it in cartoons and some games (i think it was Jet Force Gemini), it's also hard to describe. but i've mostly heard it in computer or virtual reality scenes. it sounds like a Star Wars X-Wing's firing noise, but it's higher pitched and feels more synth-ish.
NVM FOUND IT WHILE TYPING! >:0

edit: hey, would you mind if i tap the veterans a bit too? i've been curious about treating their entry animations and new taunts. also speaking of which, would you support the idea of adding outside sounds or just keeping it as Melee as possible? because i thought of suggesting to make Zelda and Sheik have sounds from OoT for her entry animations but at the same time they might sound out of place
This post is epic af lmao.

Uuuuuuuuuuh first thing is, I know how to do the high pitched sound thing that you mentioned is done in Melee... in Brawl. A fun fact is that Brawl actually does use that effect, just differently than in Melee. For instance Bowser's Up-B uses that effect. The whole thing has the exact same sound repeated over in different slots of his .brsar thingy but with different pitches. Link's Up B does the exact same thing (Before it got replaced with Melee swingeries). Puff's Neutral B uses it I think too... and that annoys the PIIIIISS outta me cause I can't figure out how to change it just yet. Editing the SFX for the other 2 chars was way easier. Uuuuuuuuuuh... oh it's the same for the reverb effects in Melee, and in Brawl as it were. Brawl just turns it off for most sounds except Star KO and some Final Smashes but it's ez to add it to any sound (how I was able to fix Mewtwo's and Roy's reverb on their Star KO sounds.)

The throw sound is in there... At least I think... Actually... no... I ripped it from Melee myself iirc...

And... oddly enough... I got to liiiike right about here ^ when I realized what sound you were talking about for Wolf's shine and holy **** it's perfect! (Jet Force Gemini too tho?? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess!)

Aaaaand... I was planning on doing some things with Sm4sh sfx... An "adult" Roy with Melee SFX would be tew legit (and combined with Sm3sh???). I was even thinking of... if it were possible to do an alt voice for his Awakening costume... And if you could find some sounds from OoT that are as good in quality as the Melee sounds a.... wow... this just made me think... WHY HAS NINTENDO NOT REMADE OH OH TEE YET!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (for consoles) Give... me... PLZ! Anyway...Yeah if you can find sounds that don't sound too drastically different than Melee (in quality) then I'm up to try just about anything. Iunno, so many ideas. So little time. I need to like... get sponsored 4 lyf so I can spend more time doing this stuff. I miss it.

I also have a copy of Brawl now! But... I won't have a lot of time to do much this weekend because all the busy...

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
oh! so we don't need to literally inject an edited sound to make it higher pitch? because that would mess with file size

this is the Wolf shine sound i was talking about (used sound card rip and edited the voice out but sounds a bit chopped lol, unless i get a better way to get the full one for free), BTW, he's done
about the OoT remake, there is one for 3DS, silly. speaking of which, i could get the sounds from there, assuming they're in higher quality. NVM found a OoT 64 rip, this is the sound Zelda might use for her entry animation along with Magic sound from her Melee repertoire - will sound something like this (made it in FL Studio)
now, i want to bring up the Wifi-safe topic. in earlier versions, the mod was unsafe for wifi and therefore not tournament-friendly because of PSA file oddities. what were those oddities? could they be avoided now?. i imagine they have to do with (a)synchronous timers or looping hitbox data, but that's just bare concept and terminology knowledge about said matter. i really hope we can achieve wifi-safe status this time around

now that i'm on Toon Link, are you gonna keep his PM sword swings? or changing them to Melee's or maybe make both?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
oh! so we don't need to literally inject an edited sound to make it higher pitch? because that would mess with file size

this is the Wolf shine sound i was talking about (used sound card rip and edited the voice out but sounds a bit chopped lol, unless i get a better way to get the full one for free), BTW, he's done
about the OoT remake, there is one for 3DS, silly. speaking of which, i could get the sounds from there, assuming they're in higher quality. NVM found a OoT 64 rip, this is the sound Zelda might use for her entry animation along with Magic sound from her Melee repertoire - will sound something like this (made it in FL Studio)
now, i want to bring up the Wifi-safe topic. in earlier versions, the mod was unsafe for wifi and therefore not tournament-friendly because of PSA file oddities. what were those oddities? could they be avoided now?. i imagine they have to do with (a)synchronous timers or looping hitbox data, but that's just bare concept and terminology knowledge about said matter. i really hope we can achieve wifi-safe status this time around

now that i'm on Toon Link, are you gonna keep his PM sword swings? or changing them to Melee's or maybe make both?
That Zelda entry sounds delish!!! Like... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also when I said remake I meant like super HD turbo Wii U remake lol. I have Oh Oh Tee for my 3DS haha. (Still don't have Majora's Mask yet dangit!) While the 3DS version is miles prettier than the OG version, seeing all these unreal renders of OoT make me want an actual *HD* HD remake. I imagine the sounds would be of impeccable quality then... Even so that 64 rip is good quality, good enough that I'd include them here.

As for the wifi safe thing... I'm not sure there's any way to make them wifi safe. Would need someone who's more of an expert on that subject to pinpoint exactly what causes the issue. There is usually a slight size difference between OG and Melee .pac files. And frame counts are different for sfx... not to mention most characters using a different .sawnd file. I originally thought the only thing that mattered was that the animations and hit properties were the same as the sounds are presumably processed separately between Wiis... But I guess if they play in different spots the Wii just brain farts and desyncs... Actually... wait... is there any difference between the wifi-safe version and the normal version .pac files? Cause thus far I've only been making my edits to the normal version .pac files, no wifi .pac files ever been used ever ever here. Maybe that has something to do with it...?

Edit: Oh and the first thingy you said is correct. It's what I plan to do for Mewtwo's various teleport/dodge sounds so that they didn't both sound the same. One of the doodz in my community (ungrateful son of a...) complained about that. Do his tail swing sfx do that too? That'd save quite a bit of room for Lucario's .sawnd, to potentially remake his thingies.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
That Zelda entry sounds delish!!! Like... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also when I said remake I meant like super HD turbo Wii U remake lol. I have Oh Oh Tee for my 3DS haha. (Still don't have Majora's Mask yet dangit!) While the 3DS version is miles prettier than the OG version, seeing all these unreal renders of OoT make me want an actual *HD* HD remake. I imagine the sounds would be of impeccable quality then... Even so that 64 rip is good quality, good enough that I'd include them here.

As for the wifi safe thing... I'm not sure there's any way to make them wifi safe. Would need someone who's more of an expert on that subject to pinpoint exactly what causes the issue. There is usually a slight size difference between OG and Melee .pac files. And frame counts are different for sfx... not to mention most characters using a different .sawnd file. I originally thought the only thing that mattered was that the animations and hit properties were the same as the sounds are presumably processed separately between Wiis... But I guess if they play in different spots the Wii just brain farts and desyncs... Actually... wait... is there any difference between the wifi-safe version and the normal version .pac files? Cause thus far I've only been making my edits to the normal version .pac files, no wifi .pac files ever been used ever ever here. Maybe that has something to do with it...?

Edit: Oh and the first thingy you said is correct. It's what I plan to do for Mewtwo's various teleport/dodge sounds so that they didn't both sound the same. One of the doodz in my community (ungrateful son of a...) complained about that. Do his tail swing sfx do that too? That'd save quite a bit of room for Lucario's .sawnd, to potentially remake his thingies.
well, i'll look into the Mewtwo thing in a bit. about Melee's sound engine, it also has kind of a permanent reverb effect for all sounds, is that possible for this?
ok so, do you talk with TailsMiles often? i remember you talked to him and asked if you could use his SA2 Sonic sound pack for your mod. and if you remember, he EVEN ADDED a new taunt / mechanic while keeping him wifi-safe. it's a bit of a turnoff it it's not wifi-safe, i would take some tips from him on that matter. though KingJigglypuff and PyotrLuzhin seem like knowledgable on PM's field and are also active members.
on a different note, i got Wario, Diddy, Wolf, Lucario, Squirtle, and Zamus done, i skipped almost all of Toon Link's moves because i don't know if you're gonna keep his PM sword swings and slash hits or changing them to Melee sword swings and Young Link's punch hit sounds. also, i left some of lucario and squirtle's details still open because i'm not sure if you'd change the aura hit flags or use Melee burn hit flags, and i don't know what to do with Squirtle's water sounds D:

i'm also tempted to dig around Kirby Air Ride's sounds for potential material, since the dev team was the same and as evidently the sound direction / style too

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
well, i'll look into the Mewtwo thing in a bit. about Melee's sound engine, it also has kind of a permanent reverb effect for all sounds, is that possible for this?
ok so, do you talk with TailsMiles often? i remember you talked to him and asked if you could use his SA2 Sonic sound pack for your mod. and if you remember, he EVEN ADDED a new taunt / mechanic while keeping him wifi-safe. it's a bit of a turnoff it it's not wifi-safe, i would take some tips from him on that matter. though KingJigglypuff and PyotrLuzhin seem like knowledgable on PM's field and are also active members.
on a different note, i got Wario, Diddy, Wolf, Lucario, Squirtle, and Zamus done, i skipped almost all of Toon Link's moves because i don't know if you're gonna keep his PM sword swings and slash hits or changing them to Melee sword swings and Young Link's punch hit sounds. also, i left some of lucario and squirtle's details still open because i'm not sure if you'd change the aura hit flags or use Melee burn hit flags, and i don't know what to do with Squirtle's water sounds D:

i'm also tempted to dig around Kirby Air Ride's sounds for potential material, since the dev team was the same and as evidently the sound direction / style too
Okay, so what KJP told me about teh PSA edits and wifi (and this is what I initially thought). Said that any PSA edits cause the thing not to be wifi safe. Sooo... Iunno how Tails' thing is wifi safe lol. He must've performed some secret voodoo that I don't know about.

Obskore

Smash Ace
ok, i just decided i'll get into PSAing my progress by myself and test the Wifi-Safe state by using replays.
they work as long as you don't use c-stick buffering, and even if you save one with c-stick buffering involved it won't work. However, it'll always show the same match, so if that desynced replay desyncs when i change a moveset file, even once again out of the originally desynced state, it means there's something wrong with the moveset file (but who would go through that non-sensical hassle?).
right now i'm learning about (A)synchronous timers and will try to get used to internal sound numerical IDs. i really don't believe that changing sound timers and hitbox sounds can bare it from the wifi-safe state (maybe with the electric ones they do). from this point on and while i learn further, i'll try to change the way i'm writing the changes i want to make and get them into practice with actual PSA when i finish writing all Brawl newcomers, so when i get done with all those, the Melee vets will be (or i hope) a breeze. BrawlBox 0.67 does a big favor on looking at the animations play along the subaction / SFX scripts frame by frame while i compare it to PM with debug mode. the hardest part is the amount of them and the pesky, unintuitive sound effect IDs

also and so far, i've gathered various sounds from Kirby Air Ride and a few from Kirby's Return to Dreamland. i didn't even go through the whole sounds though, so i might borrow even more.

EDIT: so i edited a hitbox flag for the first time, i made Wolf's Blaster bullet play electric sounds on-hit (which is on the plans for Melee SFX Wolf), it was... fun to make because the decimal > binary > hex mathfest was more of a mess than i thought (i had to have Win Calculator in Programmer mode, PSA, and Office Excel at the same time), but i've gotten the hang of it. The best part is that it doesn't desync replays as far as i've seen. my hopes are flying

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
i'm working on the Brawl Newcomers, bud i think it's on a different side of the project, and most likely will turn into a whole different project at this point, unless we start implementing a better organization and merge both sides at one point, but i feel like we're doing each side a different way.
either way, my part will possibly be done in like 1 or 2 months

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
i'm working on the Brawl Newcomers, bud i think it's on a different side of the project, and most likely will turn into a whole different project at this point, unless we start implementing a better organization and merge both sides at one point, but i feel like we're doing each side a different way.
either way, my part will possibly be done in like 1 or 2 months
Might I suggest releasing the melee sfx first, and then brawl newcomers in an update? Sorry, I'm an impatient person lol.

Obskore

Smash Ace
Might I suggest releasing the melee sfx first, and then brawl newcomers in an update? Sorry, I'm an impatient person lol.
the thing is that it requires PSA modification for all the characters for it to work properly (if not, some because of the way their original sounds play in vPM, some sounds may sound in the wrong places or out of place), and i'm still learning that stuff.
or, what exactly do you mean by just "Melee SFX"?

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
the thing is that it requires PSA modification for all the characters for it to work properly (if not, some because of the way their original sounds play in vPM, some sounds may sound in the wrong places or out of place), and i'm still learning that stuff.
or, what exactly do you mean by just "Melee SFX"?
That seems really tedious, good luck with that.

I was referring to the melee cast.

Obskore

Smash Ace
That seems really tedious, good luck with that.

I was referring to the melee cast.
yeah it's going to be tedious, especially for me that i just actually got into PSA modding
and btw, Amazarommu is working on the Melee cast, i'd say you gotta wait for him to deliver instead

Obskore

Smash Ace
if i can nitpick, i'll say that don't like how some of those sentence mixings sound like. but let me tell you, i've been looking around to recreate the Melee Announcer style in FL Studio, then i'll use the effects over the PM 3.6 Announcer. i have yet to figure out how not to get the actual voice clip obscured by the effects, but i've been nailing it

Top Bottom