• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
if i can nitpick, i'll say that don't like how some of those sentence mixings sound like. but let me tell you, i've been looking around to recreate the Melee Announcer style in FL Studio, then i'll use the effects over the PM 3.6 Announcer. i have yet to figure out how not to get the actual voice clip obscured by the effects, but i've been nailing it
Recreating? You mean like Roy and Mewtwo's clips for the Brawl announcer pre-3.6? I still like the sentence mixed versions in the download for humor value.

ライオン

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiotSword
3DS FC
5214-9919-0198

Obskore

Smash Ace
oh, i do use japanese voices my build, specifically Wolf, Fox, Meta Knight and Ike.
are you sure that the Japanese Lucario you linked is compatible with PM 3.6? because, remember that his sound bank shares space with Mewtwos sounds. just making sure, i also wanted it.
speaking of which, my BrawlBox stopped working to open BRSAR files (which i used to extract the sounds as WAVs and look at internal sound names). does it work for you? it used to, but the thing is it only opens the Vanilla BRSAR file right now

ライオン

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiotSword
3DS FC
5214-9919-0198
oh, i do use japanese voices my build, specifically Wolf, Fox, Meta Knight and Ike.
are you sure that the Japanese Lucario you linked is compatible with PM 3.6? because, remember that his sound bank shares space with Mewtwos sounds. just making sure, i also wanted it.
speaking of which, my BrawlBox stopped working to open BRSAR files (which i used to extract the sounds as WAVs and look at internal sound names). does it work for you? it used to, but the thing is it only opens the Vanilla BRSAR file right now
Yeah, It works fine for me. I didn't run into any problems with Mewtwo either. I'm not sure about Brawlbox though because I used Super Sawndz to make the voice pack.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I've had this issue with various edited .brsar files. Sometimes there's just that one change that messes it up. I'll re-insert .sawnd files for editing into a fresh .brsar file... and then it'll load in BrawlBox again for whatever reason. #BrawlModdingProblems

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Small aside (Double Post because reasons) Has anyone here got the BrawlDJ / Custom Sound Engine thingy to actually work for them? I've tried it but... it plays one song, and like ten seconds of that song before going quiet and then never anything again until the game is restarted... HALP!

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Small aside (Double Post because reasons) Has anyone here got the BrawlDJ / Custom Sound Engine thingy to actually work for them? I've tried it but... it plays one song, and like ten seconds of that song before going quiet and then never anything again until the game is restarted... HALP!
uh, i haven't gotten into it because i read it can corrupt your savefile

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
uh, i haven't gotten into it because i read it can corrupt your savefile
I had it once before and nothing happened... except... nothing happened lol. It didn't work. But it didn't mess up muh save either soooo... that's good I guess? Some dood on reddit has supposedly added it to their list. So maybe there'll be a working version soon-ish for PM. And while:

I mean MMM, target, and boss times aren't too important IMO.
This is true, there aren't enough slots for all the tracks I wanna add (It's that many). A lot of them would be going to the 23 FD alts I have and the, however many BF alts I'm gonna end up having. I have a trick to make the tracks work for now... maybe not all of them, but a soundtrack expansion code would knock that limiter outta the... something... park... water... one of those.

Juken

Smash Ace
I heard that Smash 4 has had a bit of a breakthrough allowing SFX modding (along with texture/model/music replacements). Maybe doing a voice pack for a Smash 4 character could be a project for you consider once you update this, seeing as how Project M won't be getting anymore updates.

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
Anyone forgetting the unused Giga Bowser clip, it's results screen exclusive.

Obskore

Smash Ace
I heard that Smash 4 has had a bit of a breakthrough allowing SFX modding (along with texture/model/music replacements). Maybe doing a voice pack for a Smash 4 character could be a project for you consider once you update this, seeing as how Project M won't be getting anymore updates.
wow, i don't own Smash 4 and therefore don't know how to mod it, but i'd look into making a Melee Mario, Fox and Falco voice pack, maybe Mewtwo

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
PM 3.6 added a custom Giga Bowser voice clip that's used whenever you win a match as him using the hold L trick. Most custom announcers I've seen have overlooked this.

Obskore

Smash Ace
If it exists in the - or a - .sawnd file somewhere... I will find it. And I will change it.
i didn't know that either, is there also one for Warioman?

btw, my SD cards and USBs are not with me atm, it appears i left them at a friend's, but he says he doesn't find them (and so they're probably lost / forgotten in the streets or a bus to no avail...), so my part of the project will be on hold indefinitely until i get them back or buy new ones, but until then i'll miss my build so much, i don't even feel like playing or watching PM because of this, i see PM VOD thumbnails on YouTube and i start to feel like crying...

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
i didn't know that either, is there also one for Warioman?

btw, my SD cards and USBs are not with me atm, it appears i left them at a friend's, but he says he doesn't find them (and so they're probably lost / forgotten in the streets or a bus to no avail...), so my part of the project will be on hold indefinitely until i get them back or buy new ones, but until then i'll miss my build so much, i don't even feel like playing or watching PM because of this, i see PM VOD thumbnails on YouTube and i start to feel like crying...
Gosh that pic! I was not ready for it lmao... I hope this thing works out for the best! I was upssseeeeeeett when I lost my copy of Brawl. In the meantime... I'm actually gonna try to do Marth and Roy again and test them since I can now has play again.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Do the Falcon sound effects work for PM 3.6?
Nupe! Wull... Yeah but, he'll have 3.5 moveset. I'm gonna get to these eventually, I promise. I've been working on my personal build w/ stages and what not. After that's done, goin all the way in. I have like 23 FD alts and liiiike 10 Battlefield alts. They're all gonna have their own soundtrack (that's taking most of the time, finding tracks that fit the stage, flawlessly (and I mean flawlessly) looping them all, etc... Probz gonna have like 300 tracks. Long parentheses close)

And then there's the costumes... Oh em gee...

shaqnel

Smash Cadet
Nupe! Wull... Yeah but, he'll have 3.5 moveset. I'm gonna get to these eventually, I promise. I've been working on my personal build w/ stages and what not. After that's done, goin all the way in. I have like 23 FD alts and liiiike 10 Battlefield alts. They're all gonna have their own soundtrack (that's taking most of the time, finding tracks that fit the stage, flawlessly (and I mean flawlessly) looping them all, etc... Probz gonna have like 300 tracks. Long parentheses close)

And then there's the costumes... Oh em gee...
Hopefully not too off topic but how do you get that many tracks for alts? I've only managed to get 12 tracks for custom stages.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Hopefully not too off topic but how do you get that many tracks for alts? I've only managed to get 12 tracks for custom stages.
A metric ****-ton of code.
^ He's right. But... for the alts, they're all just gonna use the default tracklists and the alt soundtrack code thingy that wiiztec made. So each FD alt is gonna have 5 tracks per alt. And each Battlefield alt is gonna have that also. Smashville is gonna have a few alts w/ soundtracks, same for Dracula's Castle which I'm adding back into my own version with liiiiike all those different Kingdom Hearts skinzz. Uuuuuh some other stages may get alts as well but those are the only ones I have for sure right now. It's gonna be a fuuuuun time making that code... but I'm working on a thing that's gonna make it easier for me to edit when I'm finally done looping all the tracks.

Obskore

Smash Ace
hello, im poppin' in to say that i've gotten my USBs and SDs back (thank's to my friend Eddy, who told me on fb he found them in his house) and i'll be making some progress soon but i have a couple problems about sword swing sounds: first you have already said that you have something in store for Ike, but what about Toon Link, Pit and Meta Knight? i've skipped a lot of moves because of that tidbit

also, i've been thinking of doing the whole roster by myself and have it as kind of an alternative version, i'm aiming for the Wifi-safe / non-desync state (which i've already managed to, but have to test other moves that employ framespeed modifier flags)

btw, i tried to see Pit's PM moveset on BrawlBox 0.68b and it crashes when loading the pac file, but it's fine if i just used the animations, the thing is i was trying to see in how many parts Pit's Neutral B was divided and know what part loaded the arrow charge sound, the crash issue only has happened with Pit but i hope there's aren't more instances lol. i wish there was a more modern Brawl moveset viewer

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
hello, im poppin' in to say that i've gotten my USBs and SDs back (thank's to my friend Eddy, who told me on fb he found them in his house) and i'll be making some progress soon but i have a couple problems about sword swing sounds: first you have already said that you have something in store for Ike, but what about Toon Link, Pit and Meta Knight? i've skipped a lot of moves because of that tidbit

also, i've been thinking of doing the whole roster by myself and have it as kind of an alternative version, i'm aiming for the Wifi-safe / non-desync state (which i've already managed to, but have to test other moves that employ framespeed modifier flags)

btw, i tried to see Pit's PM moveset on BrawlBox 0.68b and it crashes when loading the pac file, but it's fine if i just used the animations, the thing is i was trying to see in how many parts Pit's Neutral B was divided and know what part loaded the arrow charge sound, the crash issue only has happened with Pit but i hope there's aren't more instances lol. i wish there was a more modern Brawl moveset viewer
This is best news. I am aaaaalmost to the point of re-updating things again. If I can figure out why this dern Alt Song Forcer code isn't working for me I'll be done with the other aspects of updating my personal build.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
if this project changes the moveset files, at least in terms of which sound effects are used, then its probably not going to be compatible
Hm... which files are the most critical as far as this mod goes?

If I know which ones are being adjusted, then I can figure out what's compatible and what isn't on my own, I think.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
Hm... which files are the most critical as far as this mod goes?

If I know which ones are being adjusted, then I can figure out what's compatible and what isn't on my own, I think.
Well judging from the past versions of these sfx mods for 3.5, there is a sfx file which holds all of the sound effects for its character. Then there is a moveset file for the character and its possible Amazerommu will change which sound effect addresses are called and there might also be more sound effects included.
So if you put just the sfx file in your build, not every sound will be called at the right time or possibly just not be the right sound effect. If you put in the moveset file which will probably be compatible with 3.6 then you will lose whatever changes there were to 3.61

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
Well judging from the past versions of these sfx mods for 3.5, there is a sfx file which holds all of the sound effects for its character. Then there is a moveset file for the character and its possible Amazerommu will change which sound effect addresses are called and there might also be more sound effects included.
So if you put just the sfx file in your build, not every sound will be called at the right time or possibly just not be the right sound effect. If you put in the moveset file which will probably be compatible with 3.6 then you will lose whatever changes there were to 3.61
...When I asked about critical files, I meant things like the actual file names or the file extensions: Pac files, pcs files, and possibly the 'FitMotion' pac files. It would be nice to know what the SFX mod changes among those files, if applicable.

If I know what specific files the SFX mod affects and check what particular files are updated between PM 3.6 and 3.61, I can figure out which sounds can be added without breaking the rest of 3.61.

Also, I found a screencap of the originally documented changes in 3.61: https://i.imgur.com/a2XqF1K.jpg

Seems like a few animation-specific changes were made for a few characters, but the amount that was changed is still relatively small compared to what was changed between 3.5 and 3.6, I'd think.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
i actually use 3.61 personally but i'll mainly release my version of this mod for 3.6, then one for 3.61 (though i feel quite guilty about it).
the only changes made to the moveset files will be mostly SFX IDs and hitbox element flags, and from what i've seen, those are easy to port from a version to the other. the rest are .SAWND files
also, i'm faithful that my version will be wifi-safe / tournament legal, but i've been very lazy and made no actual progress lol, plus the heat here is going up and the AC in my room hasn't been cleaned, my room gets uncomfortable around midday thru early night

the only part or progress i've made is writing down the ideas i've got for the Brawl Newcomers.
my method is turning the music off and using debug mode in training so i can see a character's moves frame by frame (and sometimes with a Melat Box to hear the moves without voices) while looking at their moveset files on BrawlBox 0.68b or PSA to see what sounds the animation or subaction loads, then i decide what sounds that move / animation would use if it were Melee and type it on a Microsoft Word document. of all the newcomers, only Snake, ROB, Ike, Olimar and Pit haven't been done

last time, i encountered an issue with Pit (and something similar with Toon Link), i feel like the Melee Sword Swing sounds don't fit him and i asked Amazerommu for suggestions but he didn't answer lol

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
i actually use 3.61 personally but i'll mainly release my version of this mod for 3.6, then one for 3.61 (though i feel quite guilty about it).
the only changes made to the moveset files will be mostly SFX IDs and hitbox element flags, and from what i've seen, those are easy to port from a version to the other. the rest are .SAWND files
also, i'm faithful that my version will be wifi-safe / tournament legal, but i've been very lazy and made no actual progress lol, plus the heat here is going up and the AC in my room hasn't been cleaned, my room gets uncomfortable around midday thru early night

the only part or progress i've made is writing down the ideas i've got for the Brawl Newcomers.
my method is turning the music off and using debug mode in training so i can see a character's moves frame by frame (and sometimes with a Melat Box to hear the moves without voices) while looking at their moveset files on BrawlBox 0.68b or PSA to see what sounds the animation or subaction loads, then i decide what sounds that move / animation would use if it were Melee and type it on a Microsoft Word document. of all the newcomers, only Snake, ROB, Ike, Olimar and Pit haven't been done

last time, i encountered an issue with Pit (and something similar with Toon Link), i feel like the Melee Sword Swing sounds don't fit him and i asked Amazerommu for suggestions but he didn't answer lol
I... do not remember this. Those characters are particularly 'different' compared to the rest of the Melee cast. A good Young Link mod could fix the Toon Link problem. Pit... is in a realm all on his own, however. Idk but I do agree they don't really fit for those 2 in particular. I'll see if I can't think of something.

Also...
Just curious, but will the next SFX update be compatible with Project M 3.61?

Here's a link to the particular one I'm referencing: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3w84dm/project_m_361_stable_version/

From what I can tell, it's mostly a series of stability improvements and bugfixes to the base 3.6 version.
I'll most like just do 3.6 movesets, and if I feel, probz 3.61.

BUT! I'm still having an issue getting the Alt Song Forcer code to work... or the Custom Sound Engine. I think there's some other code that's causing these things not to work together. It's tedious trying to figure out exactly what's causing it!! >_>

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
I recall that 3.61 added a headband costume for Jigglypuff. One user on the Reddit page noted the following:
The headband physics for jigglypuff's alt don't work in this version. This can be fixed by replacing the FitPurinMotionEtc.pac with the one from the wiiztec leak
And if I understand correctly, the fixed file can be found here: https://github.com/Project-M-CC/Project-M-CC/tree/master/projectm/pf/fighter/purin

Personally, I don't think all of the characters need to have their sounds replaced, necessarily. In Pit's case, his weapons don't really have any equivalent sounds in Melee (as far as I know), so I can't imagine that too many people would mind if he used most of his Brawl sounds, as long as the other characters still used their Melee sounds.

Toon Link could probably get away with using some of the sounds that Young Link might have used (his Spin Attack sound should probably stay the same, though making it louder might accomplish a Melee-like effect).

This is how I look at it: If a character has no direct sound equivalent from Melee, or lacks a matching 'type' like in Pit's case, then using Brawl sounds for these exceptions can probably be overlooked. But that's just what I think, anyhow.

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
BUT! I'm still having an issue getting the Alt Song Forcer code to work... or the Custom Sound Engine. I think there's some other code that's causing these things not to work together. It's tedious trying to figure out exactly what's causing it!! >_>
You mean the Alt Song Forcer code by wiiztec?
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-3-6-wiiztec-edition.415470/

Perhaps you could ask him for assistance? Assuming he's still kicking around these boards, of course.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
You mean the Alt Song Forcer code by wiiztec?
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-3-6-wiiztec-edition.415470/

Perhaps you could ask him for assistance? Assuming he's still kicking around these boards, of course.
I'm thinking it more has to do with the CSE code and something else using same memory addresses or being overwritten or something...? Cause the CSS/Result Song Cycle codes are not working either. Then again, I don't even know if those two work with CSE.

Obskore

Smash Ace
right, so i'll leave Pit's sword swings for later or maybe open a poll for things like this?
also, the issue with Toon Link was that i wasn't sure about if using Young Link's Sword Swings and "slappy" hit sounds, or use his PM sword swings with Slash hit sounds or a mix of both or mix and match, akin to the "Brawlee" sound packs that were released earlier

PS: to the list of characters i haven't looked into, add Dedede and Meta Knight, but have in mind that i do want to do the veterans too, mainly or firstly the ones that Amazerommu didn't release, it will be fun to do Samus and Yoshi, but Kirby will be hell because of his numerous copy abilities

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
I dunno about anyone else, but I just like being able to hear Mario's old Melee voice when he does his back-throw: It's so annoying and infuriating to my victims, which makes it so satisfying for me. Muhahaha...

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
...When I asked about critical files, I meant things like the actual file names or the file extensions: Pac files, pcs files, and possibly the 'FitMotion' pac files. It would be nice to know what the SFX mod changes among those files, if applicable.
well i mean i did kinda sfx files are .sawnd files in the sfx folder. Moveset files are character.pac files in each respective characters folders. you don't have to worry about FitMotion.pac files as far as i know

.sawnd files will be edited so that there are new sound effects contained within them to be called in the game.
Also like i said its possible that movesets will be changed to call different sound effect addresses within the .sawnd files so they wouldnt match up with pm 3.61, but Amazerommu said he might make it compatible so you might not have to worry about it.

Last edited:

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
well i mean i did kinda sfx files are .sawnd files in the sfx folder. Moveset files are character.pac files in each respective characters folders. you don't have to worry about FitMotion.pac files as far as i know

.sawnd files will be edited so that there are new sound effects contained within them to be called in the game.
Also like i said its possible that movesets will be changed to call different sound effect addresses within the .sawnd files so they wouldnt match up with pm 3.61, but Amazerommu said he might make it compatible so you might not have to worry about it.
So... now I have several new questions:

• What about the numbered pac/pcs files that people often replace for different costumes? Do those also contain moveset data? Or can they be replaced without screwing up the SFX mod?

• Are there portions of the overall SFX mod that would still work properly with 3.61? If the answer is 'yes', then knowing which characters would 'break' with the mod's 3.5 version would at least let me pass the time until a full release happens.

• Does the current mod release allow one to replace character voices without affecting the rest of their sound effect data, or vice versa? Like, having Mario's Melee voice without affecting his attack sounds, or having Bowser's Melee sounds without affecting his current voice in PM: Is this possible?

Top Bottom