• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Soo is this mod P:M Addon-capable? (i.e. I can drop this into sd:/projectm/launcher/addons?)
If the answer is no, and you wanna find out how to: https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2momq0/project_m_addon_system_what_it_is_and_why_you/
No, this is just drag-and-drop for the folders. It's not really an addon, more like a replacement.
There are actually add-ons in the full pack downloads. However... I noobed it and they don't fully work sooooo... I'll fix those when I update stuff for 3.6.

DualX

Smash Apprentice
Since I'm assuming this is only replacing the characters that were available in Melee, how are you doing the extra taunts? I noticed ones like Falco in particular were in Japanese for some reason not sure that sense if you are trying to be consistent. Are there any other English samples to pull from? Also, could project eventually become a way to help make cleaner sounds for every character?

I really do like what this project is going for though. I never realized how completely different they are.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Since I'm assuming this is only replacing the characters that were available in Melee, how are you doing the extra taunts? I noticed ones like Falco in particular were in Japanese for some reason not sure that sense if you are trying to be consistent. Are there any other English samples to pull from? Also, could project eventually become a way to help make cleaner sounds for every character?

I really do like what this project is going for though. I never realized how completely different they are.
You bring up an interesting point... For the extra taunts... if there were any voice clips... I either replaced them (in the case of Falco's Melee voice... his English and Japanese voices are one and the same, and the taunts I replaced are the Japanese translations of his English taunts... except for the "Piece of Cake" one), left the Brawl voice (I only did this with Peach's "La lala lala laaa" taunt cause... well she doesn't do that in Melee and I really didn't wanna get rid of it... Also the two voices go surprisingly well together.) and for Fox (probably cause lazy?) I just used the same voice clip for his other voiced Brawl taunt... Been wanting to update that one actually to have his Japanese clip play. Probably'll be optional if/when I do it... aaaand may as well do that for Falco for those who wouldn't want Japanese clipz.

There are also plans to do things with the Brawl characters... sorta clean them up to fit better with this pac. If you go back through the thread (I completely understand if you ain't even tryna) you'll see ideas for Ike, Metaknight, Sonic, Sloot Suit Samus... and maybe more that I don't remember. I just really haven't had much time at all lately to do things due to real life n such. BUT I WIIIIIILL get back to updating stuffs.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
You bring up an interesting point... For the extra taunts... if there were any voice clips... I either replaced them (in the case of Falco's Melee voice... his English and Japanese voices are one and the same, and the taunts I replaced are the Japanese translations of his English taunts... except for the "Piece of Cake" one), left the Brawl voice (I only did this with Peach's "La lala lala laaa" taunt cause... well she doesn't do that in Melee and I really didn't wanna get rid of it... Also the two voices go surprisingly well together.) and for Fox (probably cause lazy?) I just used the same voice clip for his other voiced Brawl taunt... Been wanting to update that one actually to have his Japanese clip play. Probably'll be optional if/when I do it... aaaand may as well do that for Falco for those who wouldn't want Japanese clipz.

There are also plans to do things with the Brawl characters... sorta clean them up to fit better with this pac. If you go back through the thread (I completely understand if you ain't even tryna) you'll see ideas for Ike, Metaknight, Sonic, Sloot Suit Samus... and maybe more that I don't remember. I just really haven't had much time at all lately to do things due to real life n such. BUT I WIIIIIILL get back to updating stuffs.
i was actually thinking of taking sounds or voice clips from other Mario games for Peach's taunts, or quotes from Fox's secret taunt dialogs.
I also peeked around all the original Melee sounds and there are some that are somewhat overlooked to be used for this project, i'll compile the best of them sometime

Juken

Smash Ace
Did the PMDT talk to you when they added that hard hit flying sound effect, or did they just add it on their own? Either way, it's nice because it means that I can use Brawl voice packs without editing the FitCharacter file once 3.6 hits, but I'm just curious.

And will this pack be updated for 3.6?

hand

Smash Cadet
I tried using this for 3.6 and it doesn't work smoothly. Electric hits now make noise during hitstun entirely and some balance tweaks like olimars new upB interfere with this sadly.
How can I fix this? Or do I have to wait for a 3.6 update?
I miss my Ganon saying OOHYEAH during ftilt :-(

Obskore

Smash Ace
I tried using this for 3.6 and it doesn't work smoothly. Electric hits now make noise during hitstun entirely and some balance tweaks like olimars new upB interfere with this sadly.
unfortunately, sounds and movesets have been updated, so hitbox timings aren't actually compatible with 3.6 (yes, this mod uses moveset files, which are actually *3.5* movesets, and thus, outdated) but have patience and trust Amazerommu, don't think he's not ready for this

Nevergreen

This Subreddit Sucks
NNID
Nevergreen
3DS FC
0817-3854-3643
Patiently awaiting the 3.6 update for the alt voices and hit sfx.

Love your work Amazerommu

Juken

Smash Ace
I put in Melee Mario and he still works for the most part. He doesn't do his "yeehaw" when he spins, but instead does it when he throws, and his uppercut and fireball sounds are the default Brawl one. Other than that, he's still usable and better than the default Brawl voice.

Melee Pikachu's voice works, but just no electric sound effects.

Last edited:

HillustratedJ36

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MIKE#274
I put in Melee Mario and he still works for the most part. He doesn't do his "yeehaw" when he spins, but instead does it when he throws, and his uppercut and fireball sounds are the default Brawl one. Other than that, he's still usable and better than the default Brawl voice.

Melee Pikachu's voice works, but just no electric sound effects.
Did you replace the FitMario.pac (and FitPikachu.pac) with the ones included in the SFX packs...?

Juken

Smash Ace
Did you replace the FitMario.pac (and FitPikachu.pac) with the ones included in the SFX packs...?
No because that would give them their 3.5 movesets, and they still wouldn't have the sawnd for their sound effects.

I only put in their voice sawnd files for voices. Adding the actual Melee SFX would probably break a lot of the new sounds they added in the update.

Obskore

Smash Ace
No because that would give them their 3.5 movesets, and they still wouldn't have the sawnd for their sound effects.

I only put in their voice sawnd files for voices. Adding the actual Melee SFX would probably break a lot of the new sounds they added in the update.
the only character fully compatible right now is DK, it seems

FalconAnon

Smash Rookie
Your Melee hit sounds are better than 3.6's new sounds in my opinion, so I patiently await the update as well.

I also have to wonder why the PMDT hasn't changed Falcon's SFX to not sound like he is swinging a hollow bat with holes in it every time he does an attack, another thing that your sounds thankfully fix

Juken

Smash Ace
Your Melee hit sounds are better than 3.6's new sounds in my opinion, so I patiently await the update as well.

I also have to wonder why the PMDT hasn't changed Falcon's SFX to not sound like he is swinging a hollow bat with holes in it every time he does an attack, another thing that your sounds thankfully fix
I'm curious about why PMDT uses SOME sounds straight from Melee, but then tries to make their own. It's a mod; it barely matters how much from Melee they use.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
i was actually thinking of taking sounds or voice clips from other Mario games for Peach's taunts, or quotes from Fox's secret taunt dialogs.
I also peeked around all the original Melee sounds and there are some that are somewhat overlooked to be used for this project, i'll compile the best of them sometime
Oooooooooo interestiiiiiinnng

Did the PMDT talk to you when they added that hard hit flying sound effect, or did they just add it on their own? Either way, it's nice because it means that I can use Brawl voice packs without editing the FitCharacter file once 3.6 hits, but I'm just curious.

And will this pack be updated for 3.6?
They kinda just did it on their own lol. I (personally) like the way mine play better since the occurrences are more Melee-accurate. (And their slightly louder far as I can tell)

Patiently awaiting the 3.6 update for the alt voices and hit sfx.

Love your work Amazerommu
I'm working on them slowly! Marth is gonna be the biggest problem since Roy's SFX are now in the same .sawnd. Also... (PMBR killed my plans for making a Lucina alt voice pack... Yes... I was actually going to do it...)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL at the Falcon comment. I hate that so much about his normal Brawl SFX.

I'm curious about why PMDT uses SOME sounds straight from Melee, but then tries to make their own. It's a mod; it barely matters how much from Melee they use.
No clue...

TEE EL DEE ARE!
Things are happening... slowly. I'm working on getting Marth and Roy to work without having to (noticeably) reduce the quality of their sfx... I tried lowering their win quotes... And anything lower than they are... they sound like traaaaaaash. If worst comes to worst tho that'll end up being what I do. (Plz I dun wanna hafta dew et)

Falcon's Brawl SFX are hilariously over-exaggerated.

Melee sounds supreme? (Press "1")

OH AND I HAVE A QUESTION!!!

So uuuuuuh... Roy... for his Final Smash. I don't really like it using that fully charged Flare Blade/KO voice clip... Someone recommend something else...? What do?

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Oooooooooo interestiiiiiinnng

They kinda just did it on their own lol. I (personally) like the way mine play better since the occurrences are more Melee-accurate. (And their slightly louder far as I can tell)

I'm working on them slowly! Marth is gonna be the biggest problem since Roy's SFX are now in the same .sawnd. Also... (PMBR killed my plans for making a Lucina alt voice pack... Yes... I was actually going to do it...)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL at the Falcon comment. I hate that so much about his normal Brawl SFX.

No clue...

TEE EL DEE ARE!
Things are happening... slowly. I'm working on getting Marth and Roy to work without having to (noticeably) reduce the quality of their sfx... I tried lowering their win quotes... And anything lower than they are... they sound like traaaaaaash. If worst comes to worst tho that'll end up being what I do. (Plz I dun wanna hafta dew et)

Falcon's Brawl SFX are hilariously over-exaggerated.

Melee sounds supreme? (Press "1")

OH AND I HAVE A QUESTION!!!

So uuuuuuh... Roy... for his Final Smash. I don't really like it using that fully charged Flare Blade/KO voice clip... Someone recommend something else...? What do?
all i can suggest is looking around sounds from these games that the same voice actor has played, well, if there are rips and he uses the same tone :p

Obskore

Smash Ace
You crafty hunter you...

yeah, BTW, that's also what i meant when i talked about looking around other Mario games for more Peach voice clips with Jen Taylor as her, since she's now voiced by Samantha Kelly.
and about Fox... since he doesn't have more clips spoken in english by Shinobu Satouchi, you can dig for some quotes from his secret taunts or the Melee Adventure mode intro for Corneria, because those are in higher quality, but do not pick some that are nonsense or don't work without context

ライオン

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiotSword
3DS FC
5214-9919-0198
Hey, @ Amazerommu Amazerommu . I have a suggestion for Marth and Roy's SFX.

For Marth, you should give him this unused voice clip from Melee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ym3QWL2bRM
I think it'd be cool if he said during his side-taunt.

For Roy, you should give him the short "Ha!" yell that he shouted when he did his second Double-Edge Dance swing upwards (>^) in Melee. I don't know why he doesn't have it in PM, he yells "Say!" no matter which swing you use.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord

yeah, BTW, that's also what i meant when i talked about looking around other Mario games for more Peach voice clips with Jen Taylor as her, since she's now voiced by Samantha Kelly.
and about Fox... since he doesn't have more clips spoken in english by Shinobu Satouchi, you can dig for some quotes from his secret taunts or the Melee Adventure mode intro for Corneria, because those are in higher quality, but do not pick some that are nonsense or don't work without context
This is a good idea. Surprised I never thought to do this myself. And c'mooooon you know I won't pick something that blatantly doesn't fit lol. Like v this thing...

Hey, @ Amazerommu Amazerommu . I have a suggestion for Marth and Roy's SFX.

For Marth, you should give him this unused voice clip from Melee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ym3QWL2bRM
I think it'd be cool if he said during his side-taunt.

For Roy, you should give him the short "Ha!" yell that he shouted when he did his second Double-Edge Dance swing upwards (>^) in Melee. I don't know why he doesn't have it in PM, he yells "Say!" no matter which swing you use.
That quote for Marth is... weird compared to the rest of his clips lol. It probably wouldn't fit in the .sawnd file either cause with Roy's clips in there it's pretty much at maximum capacity. (I ended up having to lower the quality of the win quotes for it to not freeze the game when trying to loadthe results screen. #BrawlModdingLyf

I will, however, fix Roy's DED and I'll experiment with that taunt. I guess it was a mistake to assume PMBR doodz made his DED voice clips a direct copy from Melee, minus the hits that are different than Melee. I gotchu dood!!

Obskore

Smash Ace
This is a good idea. Surprised I never thought to do this myself. And c'mooooon you know I won't pick something that blatantly doesn't fit lol. Like v this thing...

That quote for Marth is... weird compared to the rest of his clips lol. It probably wouldn't fit in the .sawnd file either cause with Roy's clips in there it's pretty much at maximum capacity. (I ended up having to lower the quality of the win quotes for it to not freeze the game when trying to loadthe results screen. #BrawlModdingLyf

I will, however, fix Roy's DED and I'll experiment with that taunt. I guess it was a mistake to assume PMBR doodz made his DED voice clips a direct copy from Melee, minus the hits that are different than Melee. I gotchu dood!!
speaking of Roy, will the new version have the "Punch L" sound for the sourspots like Melee or will it have the "Kick L" sound like you've done before?

ライオン

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiotSword
3DS FC
5214-9919-0198

Yeah I agree with you about the Marth clip. I just thought it'd be funny if Marth suddenly spoke English, lol. But thank you for looking into Roy's DED.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
speaking of Roy, will the new version have the "Punch L" sound for the sourspots like Melee or will it have the "Kick L" sound like you've done before?
I still don't know how to change hit sfx yet lol... But maybe I can glean something from another .pac file and it'll just happen to work for Roy...? lol. I'll try it.

Yeah I agree with you about the Marth clip. I just thought it'd be funny if Marth suddenly spoke English, lol. But thank you for looking into Roy's DED.
Maybe if I can get it in without the darn thing giving me the ME3 Banshee treatment, I'll make some Easter Egg for him. (But what that'll be, I will not tell)

Obskore

Smash Ace
I still don't know how to change hit sfx yet lol... But maybe I can glean something from another .pac file and it'll just happen to work for Roy...? lol. I'll try it.

Maybe if I can get it in without the darn thing giving me the ME3 Banshee treatment, I'll make some Easter Egg for him. (But what that'll be, I will not tell)
people make PSAs from scratch with sounds and everything, the answer must be there somewhere

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Is there a way for me to JUST get the ocarina held-notes for Link thing onto my PM. No offense, I've watched the previews and it was pretty stellar work, but I don't really want Melee Link SFX on my build, I prefer how they are now. But I really want that ocarina thing, and sfx editing confuses me(I did fine with texture/model hacks, so idk what my problem is).

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
people make PSAs from scratch with sounds and everything, the answer must be there somewhere
I'll look into it... eventually lol.

Is there a way for me to JUST get the ocarina held-notes for Link thing onto my PM. No offense, I've watched the previews and it was pretty stellar work, but I don't really want Melee Link SFX on my build, I prefer how they are now. But I really want that ocarina thing, and sfx editing confuses me(I did fine with texture/model hacks, so idk what my problem is).
It would require replacing sounds in the default PM .sawnd file with the ones I took a very long time to make... and then editing his .pac file in various places so that it doesn't just continue playing a sound the whole match if you get hit out of the taunt while holding a note... These are... things I don't particularly wanna do *again* lol... It took quite a lot of time... Also default .sawnd file for PM might end up too large if I add those sounds... They take up a lotta space... I'm not even sure how I got it to work with Melee Link AND Alt Voice Link...

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
It would require replacing sounds in the default PM .sawnd file with the ones I took a very long time to make... and then editing his .pac file in various places so that it doesn't just continue playing a sound the whole match if you get hit out of the taunt while holding a note... These are... things I don't particularly wanna do *again* lol... It took quite a lot of time... Also default .sawnd file for PM might end up too large if I add those sounds... They take up a lotta space... I'm not even sure how I got it to work with Melee Link AND Alt Voice Link...
Is there any way you could just describe how I would go about it myself? Or is it just way too complex?

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice
I have a suggestion for Peach's side taunt. Because someone suggested to use a voice clip from another Mario game, I think you should use "I am the Princess" from Mario Party 8. It fits the taunt's animation perfectly and it makes perfect sense because that was her taunt in Mario Party 8. The only problem is that it is Samantha Kelly and not Jen Taylor who voices Peach in Melee, but that clip in particular sounded similar to Jen Taylpr. Plus that taunt is fun to spam in Mario Party. Just a suggetion.

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
Amazerommu, do you host previous versions of this mod somewhere? Specifically, I'm looking for the version for Project M 3.02 (don't ask me why I'm not using the newest version).

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, would it be difficult to do a version of these mods where the Brawl/PM hit effects are used, but the Melee voices are preserved? That's my ideal, but having the voices back in some form is better than Brawl voices for sure.

Top Bottom