• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee running on Wii U through Homebrew (Works with Wii U Adapter now, will update OP soon)

Massive

Smash Champion
I just watched these videos, it looks like the fullscreen shader is messed up for widescreen mode.

It looks similar to how the widescreen hack is used by dolphin. Check if the Name box and magnifiers are mis-aimed. Such a thing would make it identical (it really means they just changed the render view window on execution, haha).

There is actually an AR code that will make melee true 16x9 (by fixing the BG shader), but the way the blastboxes are coded (off visible screen area=% damage) means that magnifier happens less often and those minute percentage points you get from being offscreen don't accrue (since you're not offscreen anymore, lol).

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I have to run Melee through my Wii via Dios Mios and SD card because both my disc drive and Melee disc broke. Is there no other way to do it?

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
I'm having so much trouble doing this. It's so simple to do, but I literally cannot get my save data to rip as a .raw file. I keep getting .gci files, and converting that to a memcard.bin file just results in a corrupted save. Sure, I could re-unlock everything, but that's such a hassle. Anyone got a fix, or a link to a completed save .bin file I could use?

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm having so much trouble doing this. It's so simple to do, but I literally cannot get my save data to rip as a .raw file. I keep getting .gci files, and converting that to a memcard.bin file just results in a corrupted save. Sure, I could re-unlock everything, but that's such a hassle. Anyone got a fix, or a link to a completed save .bin file I could use?
here you go http://filecloud.io/23e6cgno

LLDL

Smash Hero
Here's another video.

This time I'm playing it on the ASUS VH236H, EVO Monitor. looks crisp and feels fine to me. I think my next stream setup will be Wii U so I can stream in crisp 16:9 on evo monitor. Gonna be dope.

I just watched these videos, it looks like the fullscreen shader is messed up for widescreen mode.

It looks similar to how the widescreen hack is used by dolphin. Check if the Name box and magnifiers are mis-aimed. Such a thing would make it identical (it really means they just changed the render view window on execution, haha).

There is actually an AR code that will make melee true 16x9 (by fixing the BG shader), but the way the blastboxes are coded (off visible screen area=% damage) means that magnifier happens less often and those minute percentage points you get from being offscreen don't accrue (since you're not offscreen anymore, lol).
Yeah I'm sure that it is the exact same widescreen hack from dolphin. IE said he wasn't done with his true 16:9 code yet. I'm waiting for that, then my plan would be to embed the code in the SSBM iso and then launch that with devolution in conjunction with this.

LLDL

Smash Hero
So great news, I found out on gbatemp (i think from another smasher), that there is another app in development called NINTENDON'T, that is similar to devolution. This app will also run gamecube games on the wii u, does not have the DRM (anti piracy protection), and has much better controller support. The developer already confirmed that the mayflash gamecube to USB adapter works with the gamecube controller on Wii U via the usb ports. I just asked him if the analog functions work. Things are looking good.

quibbloboy

Smash Rookie
Yeah I'm sure that it is the exact same widescreen hack from dolphin. IE said he wasn't done with his true 16:9 code yet. I'm waiting for that, then my plan would be to embed the code in the SSBM iso and then launch that with devolution in conjunction with this.

If you embedded the code in the .iso and tried to run it on Devolution, wouldn't Devolution detect that it wasn't identical to the disc .iso and not run it because of its anti-piracy measures? Or would you be able to burn the modified .iso to a disc and then rip that, using Devolution from there? Though something tells me that if this worked, it would defeat the purpose of the anti-piracy measure of requiring a disc in the first place because you could just download an .iso from the Internet, burn it to disc, rip it to SD, authenticate it in Devolution with the burned disc, and play it....
But now I guess I'm rambling a little.

LLDL

Smash Hero
If you embedded the code in the .iso and tried to run it on Devolution, wouldn't Devolution detect that it wasn't identical to the disc .iso and not run it because of its anti-piracy measures? Or would you be able to burn the modified .iso to a disc and then rip that, using Devolution from there? Though something tells me that if this worked, it would defeat the purpose of the anti-piracy measure of requiring a disc in the first place because you could just download an .iso from the Internet, burn it to disc, rip it to SD, authenticate it in Devolution with the burned disc, and play it....
But now I guess I'm rambling a little.
nah, once you authenticate the disc with a real melee disc the first time, it does not require a disc for authentication any time after. So at this point, I can load modified ISO.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
So great news, I found out on gbatemp (i think from another smasher), that there is another app in development called NINTENDON'T, that is similar to devolution. This app will also run gamecube games on the wii u, does not have the DRM (anti piracy protection), and has much better controller support. The developer already confirmed that the mayflash gamecube to USB adapter works with the gamecube controller on Wii U via the usb ports. I just asked him if the analog functions work. Things are looking good.
All of my yes.

quibbloboy

Smash Rookie
nah, once you authenticate the disc with a real melee disc the first time, it does not require a disc for authentication any time after. So at this point, I can load modified ISO.
So it would think the modified .iso was still vanilla Melee and not have a problem with it? Huh, I would have thought that switching out the .iso with a different/modified one would make it want a new authentication. Interesting, thanks.

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
Me again. Running into an issue on WiiU now. I can boot HBC, and get to the Devolution screen, but when I go to boot the game, it quickly flashes the Disc ID, and says Switchin video mode.

After, I just stare at a blank screen. Anyone else running into similar issues?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Me again. Running into an issue on WiiU now. I can boot HBC, and get to the Devolution screen, but when I go to boot the game, it quickly flashes the Disc ID, and says Switchin video mode.

After, I just stare at a blank screen. Anyone else running into similar issues?
do you have the classic controller plugged in or anything while this is happening?

LLDL

Smash Hero
it might be registering the button press "A", which is why it flashes the game for a second and then tries to load the game. try loading up devolution without any classic controller and see if it still does that

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
it might be registering the button press "A", which is why it flashes the game for a second and then tries to load the game. try loading up devolution without any classic controller and see if it still does that
Still getting the same issue. I've tried the same exact SD card on my Wii, and there's no problem.

LLDL

Smash Hero
i dont believe thered be no lag. the tv determines the lag. hooking a wii u up to it doesnt change the tv
yes, the tv does determine the lag. but the console and the native signal that it outputs is also a factor.

Kadano

Magical Express
i dont believe thered be no lag. the tv determines the lag. hooking a wii u up to it doesnt change the tv
There will definitely still be more lag than on a good CRT, but it might be little enough to be playable. Other fighting games use LCDs as well and I doubt reaction times are less important there.
The main problems with LCDs so far was that their deinterlacing and scaling took several frames. By using a Wii U, both of these should be gone so we’ll have ~10ms delay instead of ~40ms. CRTs have about 1µs, but I personally don’t think I could notice a difference between 5% of my reaction time and 0,0005% of my reaction time. (Double these values if your reaction time is perfect)
Everything below 1 frame latency is usually called lagless as it’s insiginificant compared to the human reaction time. But yes, you are right that all these setups discussed here aren’t actually lagless compared to CRTs.

LLDL

Smash Hero
that's the thing. I've played and noticed crt setups that had lag. People will blindly accept that they are crt. I've had m2k tell me that a crt that I could definitely feel was lagging, was fine. They'll be biased against it JUST because it's a monitor, even though they've been playing on setups that lag just about as much as this setup will.

in other words it will be no worse tournament set that you've played on a lagging crt and felt that it was fine.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably try this when I get one of those adapters for a GameCube controller, but it's official, brawl is a dieing game and melee is and immortal god

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
A big part of HDTV lag is converting the analog 480i signal to digital and upscaling to native 1080p.

If the Wii U outputs a digital 1080p signal (doing the upscaling itself) over HDMI, the lag is heavily reduced.

any amount of lag is unplayable in my opinion. ive played on a few tvs that have only had like 1 frame of lag and after playing on them for a bit, you begin to notice it throwing off a lot of your game. its def possible to get used to such a thing, but doing that usually messes up your no-lag play.

hopefully by the time we need such a set up due to lack of crts theyll come out with better monitors with no lag.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
any amount of lag is unplayable in my opinion. ive played on a few tvs that have only had like 1 frame of lag and after playing on them for a bit, you begin to notice it throwing off a lot of your game. its def possible to get used to such a thing, but doing that usually messes up your no-lag play.

hopefully by the time we need such a set up due to lack of crts theyll come out with better monitors with no lag.

have you tried the LGP + ASUS/BENQ Monitor setup which got less than 1 frame? if so, how do you feel about it?

a bit more on topic: god damnit they REALLY should release nintendon't , then i try the **** out of this thing :D

Massive

Smash Champion
There is no impetus for consumer level manufacturers to produce televisions with no lag.

There definitely is reason to produce them for medical and military applications, but for video games and home theaters? No way. There's no money in selling a complicated, effectively single-use display for a the paltry $100-$200 that would be economical for tourney setups.

Getting the same amount of lag native HD consoles get is absolutely fantastic, and honestly, the best we can hope for on the time scale that this game will still be relevant.

Kadano

Magical Express
There is no impetus for consumer level manufacturers to produce televisions with no lag.

There definitely is reason to produce them for medical and military applications, but for video games and home theaters? No way. There's no money in selling a complicated, effectively single-use display for a the paltry $100-$200 that would be economical for tourney setups.
Define “no lag”. Everything lags, so we need a certain threshold to consider something to lag. One frame is probably too long as 16.67 ms is more than 10% of good visual reaction times. So let’s say 5 ms. Even with perfect reaction times, the difference between a perfect CRT and a 5ms LCD would only be 4% of your reaction time (and less than a third of a frame). The ASUS VG248QE is advertised specifically to gamers and has 3.9 ms delay on a 1080p60 input. It’s $250—still consumer level if you ask me. So, there is incentive for the manufacturers to reduce their latency.

have you tried the LGP + ASUS/BENQ Monitor setup which got less than 1 frame? if so, how do you feel about it?

a bit more on topic: god damnit they REALLY should release nintendon't , then i try the **** out of this thing :D
Only for marvel. I'm used to marvel with a bit of lag tho and haven't bothered to try melee on it

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Oh, hey that was me. Crediar's definitely not going to release Nintendon't without usb analog stick support since it's already been done in Devolution so no worries.

Depends on the TV but most/all of HDTV lag doesn't come from the TV, it comes from upscaling 480p to 1080p.

seaofdarkness

Smash Rookie
Can we use the same SD card for this as P:M, if we load using Homebrew? Also, if I were to go through the steps and rip the files from a Melee disc and get it authorized to my Wii and all that, would I then be able to copy the .iso and .bin files to a friend's SD card and he could have Melee on his own SD card without going through the procedure again? Or would he need to do this with his own Wii? It seems like he'd need to do it himself, but either way isn't much of an issue.

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
I got all the way through up to the point with verifying my controller on the Wii with Devo, but with Wii U I go through the same steps and the screen remains black when loading from the USB. I have the standard day 1 revision of the Wii U Basic, a 500 gb WD hard drive, and my wii mote and CCPro (for testing until it works). Can anyone provide any suggestions on what I can do to possibly fix this problem? I'm so close :(

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Am I the only one wondering if this means there could be a future melee hack for Wii U in which it was made HD? I'm aware of the previously mentioned anti-piracy things, but I'm thinking that in a couple of years that would be rendered moot anyways.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one wondering if this means there could be a future melee hack for Wii U in which it was made HD? I'm aware of the previously mentioned anti-piracy things, but I'm thinking that in a couple of years that would be rendered moot anyways.

There is a big issue with file sizes when it comes to console games, so i dont think this will be an option

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
What's the button combination for the Devolution widescreen hack if you're using Devolution on a Gamecube controller on Wii?

Top Bottom