• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee online?

Station

Smash Cadet
Hi, I haven't visited these forums in a loooooooong time. Since the days when I used to play Smash 64 on kaillera. I lost interest in the series due to brawls poor online.

I've recently become aware that melee can be played online essentially lag free http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfd8DrbdK8c, and was wondering how popular this is? I'd be interested in starting to play melee again if there were as strong of a community for it as there was for Smash 64 online.

Could someone fill me in?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Almost no Melee players have computers good enough to run Melee online, so there isn't a community for it right now.

Zodiac

Smash Master
There are a number of problems

1.desynching issues
2.even when it doesn't desynch, the lag is unacceptable while playing melee
3.It takes a hefty pc to run something like that without any hiccups

if someone specifically worked on the first two problems with dolphin we could see melee online lot more than we do know, but we would still have the third problem.

Station

Smash Cadet
There are a number of problems

1.desynching issues
2.even when it doesn't desynch, the lag is unacceptable while playing melee
3.It takes a hefty pc to run something like that without any hiccups

if someone specifically worked on the first two problems with dolphin we could see melee online lot more than we do know, but we would still have the third problem.
When you say the lag is unacceptable do you mean 1 or 2 frames of lag like SSFIV or literally unplayable?

EDIT: Would you say my PC could run Melee online comfortably?

http://i.imgur.com/gn6kT.png

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I think Melee on Dolphin can run quite well on your PC.

My connection's not great, but I didn't have a lot problems with lag when doing Dolphin online. It is like a few frames though.

Desynching is really a big issue though.

NNID
dansalvato
Melee online is currently not worth the trouble. Too many issues need to be worked out. Here's one: Dolphin netplay basically only works in single-core mode, and no modern PC can run Melee smoothly with a single core.

Massive

Smash Champion
When you say the lag is unacceptable do you mean 1 or 2 frames of lag like SSFIV or literally unplayable?

EDIT: Would you say my PC could run Melee online comfortably?

http://i.imgur.com/gn6kT.png
Just about any dual core machine with a reasonably modern video card can run melee on dolphin well locally. You just can't play online well.

The biggest issue is that random events between two games, as well as minute differences in timing cause the two games to desync in very short order. Characters like Peach, Ice Climbers, and Luigi are almost completely unreliable in terms of sync for online play.

That and the single core issue that IE noted.

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
Could we built our own program specified for melee-online game, which would allow melee to work online perfectly? I know it would take much time and effort, but it could be worth a shot if we gather many people to work it?

Massive

Smash Champion
Could we built our own program specified for melee-online game, which would allow melee to work online perfectly? I know it would take much time and effort, but it could be worth a shot if we gather many people to work it?
This is already underway, its progress being kept very low key to prevent Minecraft syndrome from the denizens of smashboards.

Station

Smash Cadet
This is already underway, its progress being kept very low key to prevent Minecraft syndrome from the denizens of smashboards.
I think the problem with minecraft was that people paid for the service under the belief that they were paying for for the updates Notch promised them but failed to deliver on.

link2702

Smash Champion
i know I'ma catch major hell for saying this but....

why not just use the project m mod of brawl?

the people dealing with it really do seem like they are trying their hardest to get it to feel as close to melee as possible, and you'll have an online system to boot.

of course the problem there is that its still brawl's online system...but compared to what i've read here its probably still more reliable then the way dolphins online is..

NNID
dansalvato
i know I'ma catch major hell for saying this but....

why not just use the project m mod of brawl?

the people dealing with it really do seem like they are trying their hardest to get it to feel as close to melee as possible, and you'll have an online system to boot.

of course the problem there is that its still brawl's online system...but compared to what i've read here its probably still more reliable then the way dolphins online is..
Melee is unplayable with the amount of input lag Brawl online has. Also, Project:M is not Melee. It's a new and different game. You're basically asking Street Fighter: 3rd Strike players to play SFIV instead.

Top Bottom