• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee online: when will it happen ?

jayrocs

Smash Cadet
Many people play smash64 online, through project64k. Currently there is a gamecube emulator in testing that can run smash melee with better graphics might i add on your computer. And hopefully that will have netplay, as most games do have netplay over emulation. I play 64 smash a lot with my xbox controller, i can short hop, l-cancel, fast fall whatever easily on my xbox controller so maybe melee will also be as fluid as that. Right now I suggest you guys look into it the emulator is callled gekko support them and we may see a more mainstream way of playing melee online.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Sorry didn't see the post above mine. I wrote this after reading the first comment).

I haven't read through all pages, but the have SSB online, through using an emulator with Kaillera (SP?), anyways they have Melee playable on an emulator now, so they might integrate Kaillera into it at some point as well.

D.R.

Smash Apprentice
I remember reading that if Sakurai didn't want to make a 3rd Smash game, then Nintendo was just going to re-release Melee with online play on the Wii. I don't know why they don't just do that anyway. There's no reason why they can't have Melee and Brawl. How many times did Capcom remake Street Fighter 2?

We should start a petition for Nintendo to remake Melee with online play on Wii. Mario Kart Wii has much better online play than Brawl. So maybe Nintendo's online play is getting less sucky. So hopefully if they remade Melee on Wii it would have online more like Mario Kart Wii.

Seriously though, if we had a petition with enough signatures, they might actually listen. I think everyone on Smashboards would sign it. Even if you like Brawl better, there's no reason why we can't have both.
Tell me where to sign...

D.R.

Smash Apprentice
Somebody start a thread for this petition and when it gets big enough we send it too nintendo or nintendo power. We need to show them that even though brawl is good, most smashers prefer a more technical game. I would start it but I don't have as much free time as I used too.

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it's more than possible to create a mod on the Wii that works somehow like the P2P kalleria client.

Somehow make it so melee matches are connected directly to the hosts IP. Of course, it would be better if Nintendo actually gave support for this.

Sanu

Smash Champion
1. This will NEVER happen, no matter how many petitions you create. Proof: The Mother series. They campaigned for **** for around 5 years, petitions, making a ****ing BOOK and sending it to Nintendo employees, etc. Nothing happened.

2. Lag would kill it. Timing for l-cancelling = gone... timing for everything = gone.

3. lolpotatoes

4. ?????

5. PROFIT!!!

Zodiac

Smash Master
1. This will NEVER happen, no matter how many petitions you create. Proof: The Mother series. They campaigned for **** for around 5 years, petitions, making a ****ing BOOK and sending it to Nintendo employees, etc. Nothing happened.

2. Lag would kill it. Timing for l-cancelling = gone... timing for everything = gone.

3. lolpotatoes

4. ?????

5. PROFIT!!!
Officially no, but yes it can happen with zero lag, it will happen, its only a matter of time until someone out there decides to mess with the wii/cube further to get this going,.

D.R.

Smash Apprentice

3. lolpotatoes

4. ?????

5. PROFIT!!!
I never really liked mother. It's battle system sucked to me. Anyway Melee sold over 7 million units world wide. Picture 7 million copies of Melee copies. To nintendo it means PROFIT.I don't care for online anymore cuz most Wii online games are horrible. Lag + No Mic = Why bother making it online? I also wouldn't mind paying nintendo monthly for good online service. **** if I was head of nintendo I'd probably make them alot of money.

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
now that i think about it, maybe melee online isnt such a great idea.

1) i would slice my scrotum if there were any signs of lag
2) i would much rather play with someone on melee, if they were sitting next to me. Friendship. Friendship again?
3) i have a boner

Deathknight

Smash Ace
Well of course it's better to have someone right next to you playing. It's even better that way in Brawl which has online even if it does suck. The point is, it would be better than nothing and as long as the lag wasn't too bad I don't think I would complain too much. It may not be as good as playing someone right there with you but it would be good none the less. By the way, which Mother game did they campaign to get to come out here?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Brawl is ridiculously ****ty with online lag. Imagine how ****ty Melee, a much, much faster game, would be with online lag.

Deathknight

Smash Ace
Melee is faster paced but that doesn't mean it would have more lag. Brawl has by far prettier graphics and sound thus they take more resources to run than Melee. Melee online would probably be smoother than Brawl if done correctly. BTW, I've had some Brawl matches with very minimal lag and my connection isn't that great.

Sanu

Smash Champion
I never really liked mother. It's battle system sucked to me. Anyway Melee sold over 7 million units world wide. Picture 7 million copies of Melee copies. To nintendo it means PROFIT.I don't care for online anymore cuz most Wii online games are horrible. Lag + No Mic = Why bother making it online? I also wouldn't mind paying nintendo monthly for good online service. **** if I was head of nintendo I'd probably make them alot of money.
I don't see why you took a shot at Mother. Relevance? There is none.

Regardless, it will never happen unless someone creates a competent emulator.

larg0

Smash Cadet
Brawl is ridiculously ****ty with online lag. Imagine how ****ty Melee, a much, much faster game, would be with online lag.
its a matter of how the network code is written. i've not done much network code so i cant begin to imagine the ins and outs of elegant network coding, but i am pretty sure CREA's statement is not true. Crying over the lack of melee players after brawl came out, i tried to learn Melty Blood on the pc. Its (fan made) online was pretty good...not flawless by any means, but pretty ****ed good.

in all honesty, what the (online) melee community needs is a p2p program to handle most of the bull**** stuff involved in setting up a netplay session. someting with a general chat/rooms/whatever with stats tracking and game invites, etc. its been a while since i've used kaillera (for mvc2 not smash64) and i believe the problem with that is the whole 1-to-1 button input thing.

D.R.

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why you took a shot at Mother. Relevance? There is none.

Regardless, it will never happen unless someone creates a competent emulator.
I'm just saying mother isn't a that great of a game that people make it out to be.

Top Bottom