• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay Community Build - 0.2.0 released!

Are you interested in a Melee Netplay Community Build?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 1,042 97.2%
  • No, I'm not

Votes: 30 2.8%

• Total voters

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
To be honest I don't think putting pokefloats as ps2 was a good idea -_- Also the thing that says rage quit shouldnt be there either imo. I was playing on this build with a friend of mine who isnt really good and he didnt know how to LRA Start during a game so he was stuck there when I left him alone with my setup lmao. Yeah i know they were probably a joke but its kinda out of place tbh.

edit: also a glitch/bug report, the AI freak the **** out on mushroom kingdom lol

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
To be honest I don't think putting pokefloats as ps2 was a good idea -_- Also the thing that says rage quit shouldnt be there either imo. I was playing on this build with a friend of mine who isnt really good and he didnt know how to LRA Start during a game so he was stuck there when I left him alone with my setup lmao. Yeah i know they were probably a joke but its kinda out of place tbh.

edit: also a glitch/bug report, the AI freak the **** out on mushroom kingdom lol
Pokefloats being over PS2 was a mishap, and we know about it already. We haven't implemented the transformation-less PS2 and thus the game sends you to Pokefloats. As for the rage quit thing, I've been thinking about making a custom one that not only has LRA+Start info to quit the game on it but also have the button input A+B for the salty runback match reload. The AI freaking out on Mushroom Kingdom Alpha is known and will be fixed in a future release.

Didact25

Smash Rookie
what is the point of this? we could all just play on 20XX with the game id set to GALEXX like a lot of us have already been doing.

Myougi

what is the point of this? we could all just play on 20XX with the game id set to GALEXX like a lot of us have already been doing.
From the main post:
  • It has single-player oriented additions that wouldn't make sense to include in the community build (example: turning off knockback and forcing player 2 to shield)
  • It is updated way to often to continuously update the netplay community build
  • It desyncs easily / can crash randomly
  • Takes longer to set up every game rather than be plug-n-play.
  • There are minor game differences that aren't in Melee 1.2 such as the Links' boomerang cancel being added. These can affect tournament/ranked netplay matches.

Last edited:

Myougi

THIS PAUSE SCREEN LOOKS BAD ATM AND IS UNFINISHED AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

I'm still working on it, but here's an idea on how the pause screen might look! I've been looking into seeing if I can manually control some of the elements in GmPause.usd and I'm getting some coolish results. With some help I've learned how to replace the textures and I'm trying to go further. From what I've done by messing with the Pause screen I've learned (This might be known) that the game 'colorizes' different parts of the CSS though code. I'm not exactly sure where this code is and I'm still on the hunt for it, but when we find it it would make colored-pauses screens a new hack-pack standard.

(If this is already known I'm really stupid xD) I have a theory that the game has like 5 values to color specific parts of the pause screen. 4 for the points to basically draw a square and another value, a hex color value to color it in. I've tried eye dropping the A button's color (#008e45) and it's inverse color (#ff71ba) and have searched for them in GmPause.usd with no luck. After changing some values that look like they would be green (ie ones starting with 008XXX) I got crops of the Pause screen elements.

Look, it's our friend the green colorizing box, trying to color this messed up texture in the spot the 'A' button normally would be.

I'm still looking into this and if I find anything more about it i'll post it here/in the Melee Hacking thread.

Last edited:

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
THIS PAUSE SCREEN LOOKS BAD ATM AND IS UNFINISHED AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

I'm still working on it, but here's an idea on how the pause screen might look! I've been looking into seeing if I can manually control some of the elements in GmPause.usd and I'm getting some coolish results. With some help I've learned how to replace the textures and I'm trying to go further. From what I've done by messing with the Pause screen I've learned (This might be known) that the game 'colorizes' different parts of the CSS though code. I'm not exactly sure where this code is and I'm still on the hunt for it, but when we find it it would make colored-pauses screens a new hack-pack standard.

(If this is already known I'm really stupid xD) I have a theory that the game has like 5 values to color specific parts of the pause screen. 4 for the points to basically draw a square and another value, a hex color value to color it in. I've tried eye dropping the A button's color (#008e45) and it's inverse color (#ff71ba) and have searched for them in GmPause.usd with no luck. After changing some values that look like they would be green (ie ones starting with 008XXX) I got crops of the Pause screen elements.

Look, it's our friend the green colorizing box, trying to color this messed up texture in the spot the 'A' button normally would be.

I'm still looking into this and if I find anything more about it i'll post it here/in the Melee Hacking thread.
Well more importantly than the pause screen have ya got Pokemon's 2 working yet? Also tbh I don't think a netplay build will be worth playing on until there is some cool **** like custom textures pre installed lol. I'd still get future versions but nobody else ever has the netplay build tbh, probably because there isn't too much gimmicky appeals like stage and character textures lmao.

Myougi

Well more importantly than the pause screen have ya got Pokemon's 2 working yet? Also tbh I don't think a netplay build will be worth playing on until there is some cool **** like custom textures pre installed lol. I'd still get future versions but nobody else ever has the netplay build tbh, probably because there isn't too much gimmicky appeals like stage and character textures lmao.
Yes, Pokemon Stadium should be fixed. To respond to your question, textures are not a priority. People can use their own texture mods natively without desyncing with others. Maybe one day we'll add extra alt costumes.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd love there to be an SD Remix variant (sorry for trying to force that down everyone's throat but...). SD Remix has already succeeded in making the perfect Melee, and making it Netplay would be amazing.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I'd love there to be an SD Remix variant (sorry for trying to force that down everyone's throat but...). SD Remix has already succeeded in making the perfect Melee, and making it Netplay would be amazing.
You can already play SDR on Netplay. I've changed the game ID on mine to GALESD and appended SDR to the title.

Myougi

I've been a little quiet for awhile but here's some updates on the Community Build. I've been working with Achilles and Jorgasms and we have really improved the build. I finished the new pause screen (below) and am working on fixing other bugs/adding in things, like a Flash On L-Cancel code.

Ton of bugs are going to be fixed, like here's Peach's Castle without those pesky windows! Along with this, lots of other listed bugs from the main post are being corrected. The Game has a new ID, Blue Pokemon Stadium is fixed, etc. Lots of awesome stuff is coming, so stay tuned. :D

Oh, a toggle for PAL characters is on the way.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
You can already play SDR on Netplay. I've changed the game ID on mine to GALESD and appended SDR to the title.
Oh, whoops! I think what I meant was that it would be awesome if you could have SDR characters in the netplay community build considering all the stages that have been made either neutral or counterpick, and SDR's characters are way more balanced than vMelee's.

CaptainJazz

Smash Cadet
I got really excited looking at that until I remembered why it's not possible (yet :]). The stages move in groups of two. For example, Great Bay and Hyrule Castle (Zelda Stages) are actually one "object." If I want to move one, I move both. It's like that for pretty much all the stages that are grouped my game/genre. I think I can change the size of the smaller boxes but I haven't really looked into it all of that much.

What I have as of right now is a very primitive version and more for personal use as it pretty much fits my needs. It's one row of starters and another of counter picks. Like I said before, I really like where you want this to go especially with the "modified" versions of the already legal stages (ie dreamland no wind) even though that more of @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 's cup of tea.

I'm really open to (well need) suggestions on how this should look/what I can do better. Obviously, I don't want people to tell me it's not textured, I know. I'm thinking about legal stages I should include etc. in order to really get a "tournament build."

@sdremix_troubleshooter
Can anyone explain to me how to:
1. Put this in my own custom Melee and
2. Change the Background colors?

CaptainJazz

Smash Cadet
I no longer have this specific SSS. The MNCB has my most recent one. I believe zankyou is working on one as well.
The MNCB? I don't understand. I am a bit of a novice. But I would take any updated version of your work!

EDIT: I am an idiot. MNCB. Got it. What files/offsets am I taking from it?

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
The MNCB? I don't understand. I am a bit of a novice. But I would take any updated version of your work!

EDIT: I am an idiot. MNCB. Got it. What files/offsets am I taking from it?
You need a gecko code and MnSlMap.dat. I don't have the code arm since I'm on mobile however If you upload your dol I'll inject the code for you

Myougi

Renovations!
I've been cleaning up the main post and moving some things around. Sorry if it looks messy.
We're not ready to release the next build just yet, but we might as well structure up the thread as best as possible for when the build comes out. Since I've been quiet, let me bring you up to speed on a few of new additions to the build:

1. Lagless Fountain of Dreams
A huge improvement for Netplay thanks to Dan Salvato (Internet Explorer) has been added to the community build! Now netplayers can enjoy this stage without any lag from the reflective water or background elements.

2. New Color Scheme
We've gone blue! Since yellow isn't very visually appealing, we've decided to recolor menus and the logo to an electric blue. Take a look!

3. Flash on L-Cancel / L-Cancel %
An essential technique can now be noticed for those who are leaning it, making the MNCB a great place to grind Melee tech skill both online and off.

If you look into the results screen, you can even see your percentage of successful L-Cancels!

4. Fixed Blue Pokemon Stadium without Transformations
The extra Pokemon Stadium is now fully functional, and doesn't have any transformations. You can use this Pokemon Stadium instead of the other if you get lag from transformations.

5. Neutral Spawns
Jorgy's neutral spawn code has been added to the build, and affects most of the stages. This code will put you in a neutralized spawn regardless of what port your in, every time you start a match. This code ensures that each match is fair. Say goodbye to Marth's 0-deaths from your unfortunate top platform spawn! This code even works in teams!

Keep in mind these aren't the only things coming to the build in the next update. There's a lot of new content and fixes on the way. Stay tuned! If you have any suggestions for the build, we would love to hear them. This build is for netplayers, by netplayers.

zankyou

Smash Lord
You guys could make a code that displays hitboxes while an attack is active. Not sure if this is a problem but when I used to play online there were a lot of people complaining about Marths fsmash.

Myougi

You guys could make a code that displays hitboxes while an attack is active. Not sure if this is a problem but when I used to play online there were a lot of people complaining about Marths fsmash.
A lot of people complain about Marth's F-smash, admittedly me included back in the day. When you're playing somebody with, let's say, 8 or so frames of lag, Marth get's a whole lot scarier.
I have to admit though, I held my head high though all of it and now I don't have a problem with the MU at all. I even took games off Ken's Fox/Marth. :3

I like the idea for a code that displays hitboxes, but hitboxes (as we have seen in the 20XX hack pack) aren't really reliable across all the stages (ex: It turns characters invisible on DL64 for example). I don't want to add anything that doesn't work across all the stages and I especially don't want players abuse it online. Let's say somebody is playing a ranked netplay match and they toggle hitboxes on DL for example and SD or something. That one match could be negated from their set online and arguments could occur. I'm trying to avoid that sort of thing.

CeLL

Smash Lord
This is starting to look amazing. :D

Ideas (sorry if these are already in/suggested):
  • Achilles got event BF in VS Mode, I think it would be awesome to have. http://smashboards.com/posts/18474664/
  • Custom design on the closed character port things in the CSS.
  • Zankyou's extra costumes, with the defaults being Melee HQ textures where available. http://smashboards.com/posts/18347007/
  • Stock Dependent Revival Platform Colors - It's purely cosmetic and imo just adds some visual flair. I don't really see a reason against it except DOL space.

Myougi

This is starting to look amazing. :D

Ideas (sorry if these are already in/suggested):
  • Achilles got event BF in VS Mode, I think it would be awesome to have. http://smashboards.com/posts/18474664/
  • Custom design on the closed character port things in the CSS.
  • Zankyou's extra costumes, with the defaults being Melee HQ textures where available. http://smashboards.com/posts/18347007/
  • Stock Dependent Revival Platform Colors - It's purely cosmetic and imo just adds some visual flair. I don't really see a reason against it except DOL space.
Some of those have been suggested, but they are worth talking about:

The first one was actually in for a little while and was supposed to go over the alternate battlefield. We were originally going to move the platforms around and make it into a completely new stage, and use the adventure mode background as a way to differentiate the modded BF from the normal one. Unfortunately we dropped the idea in favor of other stages. I'm debating on weather to add it to the stock battlefield, but doing so would make build stand out in irl tournaments that want to use it. I'll explain more on that later.

The Custom closed port doors on the CSS are something I'd really love to do. I was thinking about making those later tonight actually...

The extra costumes are probably not going to make their way into the build, at least not with this version. Adding costumes would mean changing a lot of things (weather we use Sham Rock's PAL iso or Achilles Trophies method). If people want to play with alt costumes, go ahead. They don't desync on netplay so they can add them themselves. :3

Stock Dependent Revial Platform Colors. Debatable. I might through them into the build but I don't want to make the build stick out among other vMelee builds. I want to make the build as 'pure' as possible. For example, if there's two setups at a venue and one has vMelee and the other the MNCB they should look the same in-game. That means if there's two Fox players on Yoshi's or BF the game should look the same. I don't want to over-modify the game in fear of it affecting player's practice.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Hes referring to the code I made for v1.02 that toggles alt costumes through rotation. Also I dont think purely cosmetic changes have an impact on players.

Myougi

Hes referring to the code I made for v1.02 that toggles alt costumes through rotation. Also I dont think purely cosmetic changes have an impact on players.
I'll check it out and think about it, but it won't be a huge priority. I know cosmetic changes probably don't have that big of an impact on players, but I'm trying to avoid anything that might. Again, I don't want to over-modify the build. This build is going to be used for ranked and friendly netplay sets online, not really for parties and smashfests. I want to make this build as accessible as possible for the latter categories though, so I'm leaving the option for them to add textures themselves. (They would always have an option to anyway). I'll definitely consider adding it sometime down the line.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I'll check it out and think about it, but it won't be a huge priority. I know cosmetic changes probably don't have that big of an impact on players, but I'm trying to avoid anything that might. Again, I don't want to over-modify the build. This build is going to be used for ranked and friendly netplay sets online, not really for parties and smashfests. I want to make this build as accessible as possible for the latter categories though, so I'm leaving the option for them to add textures themselves. (They would always have an option to anyway). I'll definitely consider adding it sometime down the line.
They used all sorts of textures on a custom 1.02 iso with PAL characters made by Anutim at B.E.A.S.T. V until Strife made them stop. It had a very positive reaction from players and viewers alike. Plus in Brawl a lot of the later tournaments had all sorts of textures. I don't think people would be opposed to minor cosmetic changes like the revival platforms or event BF. In fact I think that most people would quite like them. And Zankyou's alt costume code is just like the alt costumes in PM (though extra CSPs have yet to be figured out due to RAM limitations), giving you double the amount of options.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
@ Myougi Myougi Hey, do you mind posting your CSS file? I know where to get the file for all the new icons, I just really like the blue you added to it. If you don't mind sharing it I'd be really happy.

Last edited:

Myougi

@ Myougi Myougi Hey, do you mind posting your CSS file? I know where to get the file for all the new icons, I just really like the blue you added to it. If you don't mind sharing it I'd be really happy.
Sure thing! I'll send it to you via PM. I'll send you my notes on CSS recoloring as well if you want to make the blue darker/lighter too.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
I hope this project isn't at a standstill, because the prospect of playing FoD on netplay without a ****load of frame drops and a static PS2 is just too tempting to pass up. Since there doesn't seem to be any download link in the OP I'll just continue lurking this thread, but you may want to take a peek into 20XX Tournament Edition (though something tells me you're already pretty familiar with IE's work). Dan's got some very good 'usability' ideas and I'm sure some of them could transfer over here.

finally a salty runback code in a melee build

Last edited:

Myougi

I hope this project isn't at a standstill, because the prospect of playing FoD on netplay without a ****load of frame drops and a static PS2 is just too tempting to pass up. Since there doesn't seem to be any download link in the OP I'll just continue lurking this thread, but you may want to take a peek into 20XX Tournament Edition (though something tells me you're already pretty familiar with IE's work). Dan's got some very good 'usability' ideas and I'm sure some of them could transfer over here.

finally a salty runback code in a melee build
I'm very familiar with IE's work, in fact, some of his codes are present in the build. The project isn't really at a standstill, it's just taking some extra time while we sort out a bunch of extra additions. I don't want to spoil to much of things to come, but since you mentioned FoD I've recently made it even less CPU intensive/laggy - I removed the water gushers - which IE's code doesn't do on it's own. Platforms still function perfectly. Thanks for taking interest in the build!

Myougi

I'm not sure whether it's going to be a per-character toggle or all-character toggle for PAL but if it does all the characters it should switch on this code :D http://smashboards.com/threads/pal-stocks-in-ntsc.393385/
It's most likely going to be an All-Character Toggle in the Debug/Settings menu. I was actually thinking about the PAL stocks today. Thanks for this!

Edit: I forgot to post this, but the following incredibly hard to see video shows MOR | Axe playing a development-edition of the Community Build! :D

Last edited:

Doppler12

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I am interested in your build, but at the moment ONLY windows users can build it. You'll need to figure out a way for Linux and Mac users to build your iso, as it stands the only way for them to obtain it is to download it illegally. Talk to the PM people, as they have a builder for PM for all OS's.

Also FoD's frame drops were strongly linked to the water splash effects and not as much by the reflections according to JMC47 (a dolphin dev)

Last edited:

Myougi

Hey, I am interested in your build, but at the moment ONLY windows users can build it. You'll need to figure out a way for Linux and Mac users to build your iso, as it stands the only way for them to obtain it is to download it illegally. Talk to the PM people, as they have a builder for PM for all OS's.

Also FoD's frame drops were strongly linked to the water splash effects and not as much by the reflections according to JMC47 (a dolphin dev)
I heard awhile back GCR works through Wine on Mac, but I don't have anything in regards to Linux users. I'll see what I can do.

I've never heard about the water splash effect being the cause of the lag, but I'll look into removing it. The same water splash happens on other stages (Like Pokemon Stadium's Water transformation) and doesn't seem to lag. I heard from CeLL that FoD's gushers made the game lag though, and that has been taken care of - I updated IE's Lagless FoD code to remove the water gushers in addition to all background elements.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I heard awhile back GCR works through Wine on Mac, but I don't have anything in regards to Linux users. I'll see what I can do.

I've never heard about the water splash effect being the cause of the lag, but I'll look into removing it. The same water splash happens on other stages (Like Pokemon Stadium's Water transformation) and doesn't seem to lag. I heard from CeLL that FoD's gushers made the game lag though, and that has been taken care of - I updated IE's Lagless FoD code to remove the water gushers in addition to all background elements.
It's the fountain water movement that causes the most lag.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Check the 20XX tutorials. It's the same process with different files.

Doppler12

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it was the movement I just remembered it had more to do with the water that reflections =P And I'll checkout the 20XX tutorials and see what I come up with

EDIT: Am I Blind or is there no download available?

Last edited:

Myougi

Maybe it was the movement I just remembered it had more to do with the water that reflections =P And I'll checkout the 20XX tutorials and see what I come up with

EDIT: Am I Blind or is there no download available?
There's no download available right now. I took out the download link for the previous version of the build (v1) since it was obsolete and I don't want it to circulate.

V2 of the Community is coming, but it isn't ready yet.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
you took that download link off for 12 days and i was wondering if you could give me a link so i could just try the mod out and figure out how i could play this on console and stuff like that

Myougi

you took that download link off for 12 days and i was wondering if you could give me a link so i could just try the mod out and figure out how i could play this on console and stuff like that
The download link for v1 has been removed for the past couple months.
Sorry, but I'm not going to be able to share anything at the moment before release, but I can assure you right now the the mod is playable on console (Wii or vWii on WiiU though Nintendon't for example).

Top Bottom