• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay Community Build - 0.2.0 released!

Are you interested in a Melee Netplay Community Build?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 1,042 97.2%
  • No, I'm not

Votes: 30 2.8%

• Total voters

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
This is going to be released before the end of the month, correct? On hungrybox's stream I see you say that sometimes, sorry just super hype about this.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
This is going to be released before the end of the month, correct? On hungrybox's stream I see you say that sometimes, sorry just super hype about this.
I would've loved for that to happen, but I might have to wait awhile longer before releasing the build.
I really want to make sure everything about the build is ship-shape and thoroughly tested before release. The build should be ready to go from the start and not have anything big left out.

Here's some new things for the build while you guys wait:

New Debug Menu from CeLL!
A simplified debug menu has been added with minimal toggles defaulted for netplay use. Any of these toggles can be changed at any time. This means things like Fountain of Dreams can be set to be the lagless version or the normal version, and Flash On L-Cancel can be set on or off.

• Each submenu of the debug menu renders like a regular menu for readability. (Sorry the screenshots are small btw. This post is large enough as it is.)
  • All players/All ports can control this debug menu now. No need to unplug your controller or anything.
  • When you exit the debug menu, the game goes straight to the character selection screen so you can jump right into your next match instead of going all the way back to the title screen.
New Main Menu!

Tonight I finished up a brand new Main Menu that follows suit with the other custom menus. It seemed right to do given that we already have a custom CSS/SSS.
Lots of excess background elements have been removed and/or changed so it doesn't look as convoluted as vMelee's. No more flashy or pointless background elements.

One more thing I should mention. We now have an official chatroom on Anther's Netplay ladder! You can use this to converse and find other people that use the build when it comes out. Just type #MNCB in a chatroom and click on it to join, or click this link: http://www.smashladder.com/netplay/MNCB

More is on the way, and sorry for the delay! :p

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Looking good, can't wait for it to release. @ CeLL CeLL will be using the Shaq Ladder when this drops. ヽ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ノ

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
btw i suggest changing marth's character icon at the moment because it looks pretty bad i suggest:
crop this so his head is only remaining
crop this so his head and abit of his cape are remaining
make this more skinny
finally crop this one to the end of his breastplate

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
I'll check it out and think about it, but it won't be a huge priority. I know cosmetic changes probably don't have that big of an impact on players, but I'm trying to avoid anything that might. Again, I don't want to over-modify the build. This build is going to be used for ranked and friendly netplay sets online, not really for parties and smashfests. I want to make this build as accessible as possible for the latter categories though, so I'm leaving the option for them to add textures themselves. (They would always have an option to anyway). I'll definitely consider adding it sometime down the line.
I'd just like to say I appreciate this mindset. Custom skins can be applied through texture hacks and that thankfully won't cause any desyncs. keeping things as barebones and close to melee as possible while making only the most essential changes is the best way to approach a project like this I think. the color platforms and such are nice but they might run slightly in opposition to the idea (although I'm sure that they don't add ANY lag whatsover, it is admittedly kind of noticable and may cause distractions). I also love the new blue theme, looks much better. Looking forward to any beta/alpha releases!

Myougi

I'd just like to say I appreciate this mindset. Custom skins can be applied through texture hacks and that thankfully won't cause any desyncs. keeping things as barebones and close to melee as possible while making only the most essential changes is the best way to approach a project like this I think. the color platforms and such are nice but they might run slightly in opposition to the idea (although I'm sure that they don't add ANY lag whatsover, it is admittedly kind of noticable and may cause distractions). I also love the new blue theme, looks much better. Looking forward to any beta/alpha releases!
In regards to the colored respawn platforms, they are toggleable in the debug menu. They are off by default, however. I can assure you they don't lag the game at all.

I'm glad you enjoy the new blue theme and how the build looks overall. It's nearing release, and we're finishing up the last bits of everything to make sure there are no random bugs. (I found one weird one earlier on Japes where if you used the Salty Runback code from the results screen the game would crash, but if you used it on the game screen or the pause screen it wouldn't. That's been fixed) Since that's just about done, I'm working on finishing up the PAL edition of the Community build.

Originally, I was going to have PAL characters toggleable from the CSS or from the debug menu, and while that's very much still a possibility, I think making a PAL-specific Community build would be much better. I've delayed release for long enough and I'd really love to release what we have done so far, so this would be a simplest solution for the time being. There are some perks with having two versions of the build:

First and foremost, having two versions of the build will remove any confusion of what character set people are playing with. Since NTSC build users can't access PAL characters without starting up the other build, this will eliminate any mishaps where someone could use PAL characters on accident, or vice versa.

Since we aren't adding PAL characters alongside NTSC characters, we can use a quicker and simpler method of downloading the Community Build where you just 'patch' files rather than go though annoying file replacements. These patch files will be MUCH smaller in comparison to downloading file replacements or entire ISOs. Since we can use patch files, we can make patches where you can start with a NTSC 1.2 or PAL iso and convert it to the Community Build, so anyone's ISO can be converted correctly.

Because the PAL build is independent from the NTSC build, we can make it look more like a PAL build. Stock icons for example are now their spaced-out PAL variant in addition to every character using their normal PAL character files (So not just top tiers are their PAL-variants). Of course, the PAL build would have all the features of the NTSC build (such as stage striking, alternate stages, tournament overtime, new menus, etc etc).

Never tell Marth to "Shine on." All he'll do is fall down.

I can say right now that both builds will not conflict with any other builds, even themselves. The PAL build has it's own GameID as well, (PAL = PALE, NTSC = MNCE) so you can download both builds if you wish. Please keep in mind this may be subject to change in future releases.

Once both builds are done and tested for any bugs, I'll convert them into a patch and release them with a video announcement on this thread. Stay tuned, everyone!

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I can say right now that both builds will not conflict with any other builds, even themselves. The PAL build has it's own GameID as well, (PAL = PALE, NTSC = MNCE) so you can download both builds if you wish. Please keep in mind this may be subject to change in future releases.
Why don't you make a debug toggle for PAL Characters?

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
Sounds great! Very excited about this project. I also love the way you're approaching this project, just a better way to play Melee, not all flashy or looking great, just as close to Melee as possible but still modified in great ways. I especially like how you put in "omega" stages like in sm4sh so that we don't have to choose from 6 stages all the time, a great mixup. Keep up the great work.

Doq

Smash Lord
If you want a true MNCB:

Make a universal build with the best of 1.2 and PAL, make it cross-compatible. Done. Everybody wins. Except purists. But they're not here.

Brb doing that now.

Last edited:

Myougi

If you want a true MNCB:

Make a universal build with the best of 1.2 and PAL, make it cross-compatible. Done. Everybody wins. Except purists. But they're not here.

Brb doing that now.
What do you mean 'The best of 1.2 and PAL'?
All I'm saying is it would be best to keep PAL-related things in a PAL build and NTSC-related things in an NTSC build. If I we're to have PAL stocks in the NTSC build for example, that could throw a lot of people off. If I included PAL characters into the build right now, and I had them in for a short time, it was hard to tell what version you we're using. Sometimes the game would lock the character set to PAL, and that's not something you want when you want this build to be used for serious sets both online and off.

Cross-Compatibility isn't really a thing, at least not right now. The only way to get PAL characters in is a buggy CSS toggle (which as I mentioned earlier can 'lock' the character set) or a debug mode toggle. The Debug toggle would be the better option since it assures no glitches, but then it being included raises some questions. (Are PAL characters okay to use with NTSC people on Anther's ladder or in some tournament? No. That kind of question shouldn't be a possibility) Anyway, if the only sure-fire way to include them in is to have a toggle, and all it does is switch characters (which most NTSC people aren't going to use anyway) why not have an alternate build that doesn't conflict with anything else? It cuts down or the grey areas of character-set legality and assures both builds have the best of their origin ISOs, both NTSC and PAL.

Sure, the 'purists' are probably not going to download the build, but if they ever have to play the build or something or decide to download it, it shouldn't have any game-changing alterations that could throw them off, such as PAL characters suddenly being enabled or the stock sizes changing. Both regions shouldn't have to 'adapt' to something they are uncomfortable with. I have the ability to make sure everyone feels at home while using the build, and that's really what I'm trying to do here.

Last edited:

Shayse

Smash Rookie
19 days ago you said it would be here very soon and before that you said it would be here before the end of the month (May). When is it coming out?

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
19 days ago you said it would be here very soon and before that you said it would be here before the end of the month (May). When is it coming out?
Whenever the **** she wants it to be. Development on anything isn't easy and you aren't the one making it, she'll get done with it at some point.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, sorry, but you'll just have to be patient, man. Sometimes the hardest part of development is giving an ETA. When things are going smoothly it still takes a lot of work and many steps. Whether the step is something you know and understand, or learning something new so you can carry it out, development time for each step will vary from what we expect. And when things don't go smoothly, all estimates are free to go out the door. At any turn there might be something you never thought of that makes you rethink a whole aspect of your design, or a bug that makes you have to rebuild this or that. Even with good planning it's hard to prevent such things, and sometimes in such cases the best you can hope for is that you can figure out the puzzle of a rebuild without conflicting with anything else in the process (let alone the time it takes to figure out the answer). And when you're doing quality work, all of these things are compounded to the same extent of the work's details.

And of course, we can't forget about our friend, Life. Work, school, family, friends, tournaments, and so much more can make it not easy to sit down for a few and get things done. Disclaimer: I don't at all mean to harp :chuckle:; I just wanted to point out how unpredictable things can be.

Melee Dev Team knows you got this one in the bag though, Myougi. Keep up the good work!

Myougi

Yeah, sorry, but you'll just have to be patient, man. Sometimes the hardest part of development is giving an ETA. When things are going smoothly it still takes a lot of work and many steps. Whether the step is something you know and understand, or learning something new so you can carry it out, development time for each step will vary from what we expect. And when things don't go smoothly, all estimates are free to go out the door. At any turn there might be something you never thought of that makes you rethink a whole aspect of your design, or a bug that makes you have to rebuild this or that. Even with good planning it's hard to prevent such things, and sometimes in such cases the best you can hope for is that you can figure out the puzzle of a rebuild without conflicting with anything else in the process (let alone the time it takes to figure out the answer). And when you're doing quality work, all of these things are compounded to the same extent of the work's details.

And of course, we can't forget about our friend, Life. Work, school, family, friends, tournaments, and so much more can make it not easy to sit down for a few and get things done. Disclaimer: I don't at all mean to harp :chuckle:; I just wanted to point out how unpredictable things can be.

Melee Dev Team knows you got this one in the bag though, Myougi. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for all the support, DRGN!
Honestly, I'm kinda stressed about making sure everything is bug free and the build has everything in it it needs too. I don't want to release the build and then offer an update a few days later. That would screw things up big time.

It's a little daunting thinking that something you're working on could end up at some high end tournaments and be used all over the world. (I'm admittedly kinda scared of stuff like that. I did a joint Teespring campaign with Hungrybox recently and we sold over 300 something shirts. It's going to freak me out if I see a bunch of people wearing them at Mayhem or Evo or something. It's a weird feeling.)

More than anything though, I want to make sure I release this right. The first version of the Community Build was rushed and let out half-broken. It was negligible. I really don't want something like that to happen again. Everything has gotta work and there should be proper announcements in place when everything is done.

Thank you all for your support and patience!

Myougi

The Melee Netplay Community Build 0.2.0 has been released!
Check the main post for the download links and the instructions on how to install it.
Enjoy, everyone!

JulesSSBM

Smash Rookie
Once I patched the Melee 1.02 NTSC iso, a file comes out but as a file type: file, not an iso.

Myougi

Once I patched the Melee 1.02 NTSC iso, a file comes out but as a file type: file, not an iso.
Read the Read Me file.

Rename the file that it exported as 'MNCBv2.iso'.
(Or something similar. You need to have .iso in the name of the file.)

Last edited:

_Wombo_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yougotgame100
Been playing friendlies with this build and so far it is really good, plan on using it more!

fizzleDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
fizzleDX
3DS FC
4141-4080-3072
I'm using mac and I opened the patcher with wine, but after I load the files and hit patch, the window just closes, and later on the iso doesn't show up where it was supposed to be saved. any help?

Myougi

I'm using mac and I opened the patcher with wine, but after I load the files and hit patch, the window just closes, and later on the iso doesn't show up where it was supposed to be saved. any help?
Are you opening xdeltaUI.exe or xdelta.exe?
xdelta.exe has got graphical user interface and is basically the 'code' of the main program. xdeltaUI.exe is the one with an interface which is what you want to use. xdeltaUI.exe is the one with the icon.

tl;dr: Use xdeltaUI.exe NOT xdeltaUI.exe.

So every time I try to patch in xdelta this is what I get http://gyazo.com/e72a5a04db0c2b3378eae172475c36fa
Are you using a Melee 1.2 iso? Verify that you're using the right ISO.
You must have a vanilla Melee 1.02 iso.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
This is freaking epic. How did you guys get the 8 character tags working? Are you using Dan's Gecko Code DOL or am I just missing something?

Edit: damn I got my name taken off the build/sss lol

Last edited:

Myougi

This is freaking epic. How did you guys get the 8 character tags working? Are you using Dan's Gecko Code DOL or am I just missing something?

Edit: damn I got my name taken off the build/sss lol
We're using Dan's gecko code as a dol modification and Achilles' shadow box fix. Glad to hear you're hyped!
Regarding your name I thought long ago you wanted to now be attached to the build and not have anything to do with it. I can add your name back if you'd like. Sorry for the miscommunication. :p

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Any way to enable Memcard saves??? i am going to use this build for our local Melee Community and we would love to be able to save tags

fizzleDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
fizzleDX
3DS FC
4141-4080-3072
Are you opening xdeltaUI.exe or xdelta.exe?
xdelta.exe has got graphical user interface and is basically the 'code' of the main program. xdeltaUI.exe is the one with an interface which is what you want to use. xdeltaUI.exe is the one with the icon.

tl;dr: Use xdeltaUI.exe NOT xdeltaUI.exe.

Are you using a Melee 1.2 iso? Verify that you're using the right ISO.
You must have a vanilla Melee 1.02 iso.
I was using xdeltaUI.exe. I mean when i hit the patch button IN xdeltaUI.exe then the window closed.

Myougi

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
What consoles are they for?I have a wii and wiiu. But mainly is it for wii or wiiu

Top Bottom