• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Mod for Competitive Play

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I just thought that this might be a cool idea that might make Melee tournaments a bit more refreshing.

Several things that could happen.

1.) New Stages
2.) Improvement of Low Tiers
3.) Improvement of Stages (no fish at Jungle Japes)

Would anyone think this could revitalize Melee?

If there was suppose a board of players that discussed and playtested possible changes to the game before implimenting them.

The changes I would propose would be minor. Larger shield for DK and GaW, faster jump animation for Bowser, increased damage and knockback for Mewtwo attacks, Pichu's electric attacks do not hurt itself, Young Link's taunt restores health :p, etc.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Err... not so much.

Sorry to say, but this really is a stupid idea. Why would you mod Melee? If you want faster animations, improvement of low tiers, more stages, etc etc, you might as well just transition over to Heavy Brawl minus to ATs Melee has to offer. I've actually thought of doing this myself, but did this ever occur to you as it did to me, "It'd take more time than it's worth."

Honestly, developing such a program or redesign would be a backbreaking task and even if done, how in the world would you plan to get it to run on the GC? I know there someone did hack Melee for online play back when, but the requirements were demanding and such hard to find too.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
People around here dislike modding/hacking games for comp. play (Even something completely beneficial like removing tripping from Brawl). It'll never be THE standard.

Though I'd personally love the thought of buffing Kirby back to N64 level. ^_^

person701. Heavy Brawl still sucks compared to Melee.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
We need to get nintendo to make a melee 2.0 with input on how to balance the characters from top players. I believe other fighting games do this (GG and SF, I think? Not sure).

Oh wait, nintendo doesn't care about hardcore gamers anymore. Nevermind.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Why change that which is perfect?
Well, I mean, I would agree that what is there is pretty much perfect.

But, you could add things to have the game have more things that are perfect. I mean, having all 26 characters balanced well enough to be able to do well in tournament play is better than having just 10 (more realistically 7-8).

While the gameplay is pretty much perfect as it is, making more characters tournament viable would add strategic variety. As would adding more neutral stages.

Zodiac

Smash Master
New stages, would be just fine, modifications to the characters or system itself are not

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
Could someone who knows what Heavy Brawl is please enter it into SmashWiki? I'm assuming this is some Brawl mod but I've never heard of it.

Oh and I've thought about this too but it would be too hard to implement on a large scale. Talking your entire local community into switching would be hard, and having the knowhow to construct this mod would be even more daunting. But it is a cool idea. I'd love to see the revitilazation of Ness's yoyo-KOs.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Could someone who knows what Heavy Brawl is please enter it into SmashWiki? I'm assuming this is some Brawl mod but I've never heard of it.

Oh and I've thought about this too but it would be too hard to implement on a large scale. Talking your entire local community into switching would be hard, and having the knowhow to construct this mod would be even more daunting. But it is a cool idea. I'd love to see the revitilazation of Ness's yoyo-KOs.
Take that!

Heavy Brawl can be played normally in Brawl by going to the Special Brawl menu...It still sucks balls compared to Melee which is ever so godly.

metaXzero

Smash Champion

Its a Special mode where you play the game with increased gravity. Every1 falls faster and floater recovery's are nerfed.

Some say its like an AT-less Melee.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Well, I mean, I would agree that what is there is pretty much perfect.

But, you could add things to have the game have more things that are perfect. I mean, having all 26 characters balanced well enough to be able to do well in tournament play is better than having just 10 (more realistically 7-8).

While the gameplay is pretty much perfect as it is, making more characters tournament viable would add strategic variety. As would adding more neutral stages.
This is the exact reason that I think Melee should be modded. The addition of new stages and the tournament viability of low tier characters would bring more excitement to the community.

Obviously it would be nice if Nintendo made a Melee 2.0.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Its a Special mode where you play the game with increased gravity. Every1 falls faster and floater recovery's are nerfed.

Which is totally Bull****, its like a ..well its like a heavy brawl.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I just thought that this might be a cool idea that might make Melee tournaments a bit more refreshing.

Several things that could happen.

1.) New Stages
2.) Improvement of Low Tiers
3.) Improvement of Stages (no fish at Jungle Japes)

Would anyone think this could revitalize Melee?

If there was suppose a board of players that discussed and playtested possible changes to the game before implimenting them.

The changes I would propose would be minor. Larger shield for DK and GaW, faster jump animation for Bowser, increased damage and knockback for Mewtwo attacks, Pichu's electric attacks do not hurt itself, Young Link's taunt restores health :p, etc.

Modding games is:

Cool
Fun
Impractical at tournaments
Illegit for tournaments
Against the law

person701

Smash Journeyman

Another option to play that's found under "Special Brawl"

It's like an AT-less Melee 0.5

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Well competitive tournaments are illegal as well. It's considered gambling. But that doesn't stop the community from doing it anyway. Nintendo isn't interested in alienating its fans. And they wouldn't care about a silly Melee mod unless we were selling copies of it.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Mods =/= Tourney play.

I don't see what there is to discuss?

Btw tournaments aren't illegal... >_>

person701

Smash Journeyman
Mods =/= Tourney play.

I don't see what there is to discuss?

Btw tournaments aren't illegal... >_>
Well technically, if you think about, you can't gamble until you're, what 18? Some not old enough go to them anyways. Gambling being defined as "putting money up for a winner" IMO so... sounds like gambling to me.

But there's always the fact that it's not because if you aren't as of skill as others, then it's pretty much like, "Here's 10 bucks mister."

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
LOL!

Don't get me wrong. I think melee is way better than brawl, but it's from being a well made game. Very far.
lolwut? Perfect may be pushing it, but to say Melee isn't a well made game? Your looking at a game that has extraordinary mainstream appeal while still so massively deep that it can be played at an ultra high level. Few, if any fighting games can boast that and even less can boast a game that managed to survive 7 years with CASUAL players, not just the hardcore.

Milos

Smash Lord
Well competitive tournaments are illegal as well. It's considered gambling. But that doesn't stop the community from doing it anyway. Nintendo isn't interested in alienating its fans. And they wouldn't care about a silly Melee mod unless we were selling copies of it.
lol, gambling is risking money on an unknown outcome. basically, it would be gambling if it the game wasn't won by skill.

soooooooooooooooo, brawl tournaments are illegal, but melee ones aren't. -.-

Overload

Smash Lord
LOL!

Don't get me wrong. I think melee is way better than brawl, but it's from being a well made game. Very far.
Haha of course it is a well made game. Why don't you think so?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Well technically, if you think about, you can't gamble until you're, what 18? Some not old enough go to them anyways. Gambling being defined as "putting money up for a winner" IMO so... sounds like gambling to me.

But there's always the fact that it's not because if you aren't as of skill as others, then it's pretty much like, "Here's 10 bucks mister."
OHH underage gambling.

I see your point.^^

Missed that somewhere. >_>

I agree, but I guess gambling is usually luck and not one's personal skill?
But then again cards and such take an amount of skill...

>_>
<_<

You make my brain hurt.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
lol, gambling is risking money on an unknown outcome. basically, it would be gambling if it the game wasn't won by skill.

oh my god. this is my new sig. Thank you Milos. That was hilarious!!!!

Overload

Smash Lord

I wouldn't think of a melee tourney as gambling, merely a competition, and the money you pay is your entry. Plus, not every tournament gives out money as a prize, sometimes it is store credit, or a Wii or something.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord

Hey! Camping takes more skill than you think. XD

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
*looks at join date*

April 2008, just as I thought.

On the whole gambling thing. We all know that Melee is extremely skill based. However, many juries may not be able to see that, and it is very difficult to prove. Poker also has an element of skill, but it is considered gambling. Now, there is the fine distinction that poker has random chance elements and Melee has minimal (to the point of insignificance) random chance elements, but the courts aren't always so knowledgeable. Oh well, it doesn't stop me from going to tournaments, but my mom always makes this same speech every time I suggest hosting one.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Pink reaper is right, we should mod tripping into Melee, because it is too unrealistic as it is. I mean, when the gun goes off at my cross country meets and 500 people start running all at once, 15 of them usually trip, right?

Artery_Clogger

Smash Apprentice
That wasn't very funny.
Whoa. Whoa. I was actually being serious. I find both of them to be very irritating. CCing is ridiculous at low percentages and sidestepping is just annoying, especially against Falco. He can just sidestep to shine whenever he's getting up, either tech or no tech, and chances are even if you have good timing and predict the sidestep you'll still be in a disadvantaged situation when really you should have the advantage.

Top Bottom