• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee In - Best. Game. Ever. Competition - GO VOTE!

Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. Most certainly one of the greatest Nintendo titles of all time and among the longest living fighting games still seen regularly on the competitive circuit today. But with all these accolades, is it the best game ever? Gaming forum GameFaqs is setting out to prove just that in it's Best. Game. Ever. 20th Anniversary Edition poll and Melee needs readers' votes to win!

Melee has already beaten out several strong opponents like Kingdom Hearts II, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and Portal but now it is up against Chrono Trigger in its Division Final and the vote is VERY close! To continue on in the competition and have a chance to bring home the title of Best. Game. Ever. it has to make it through this leg of the competition. The best way it has a chance to win is if readers'...

Think Melee can beat Chrono Trigger and bring home the gold? How are the other games in the competition? Tell us in the comments below and keep those fingers crossed for Melee to take home the win!

Comments

Yeah, Melee has reached an impressive feat, but that doesnt make it even close to the best game ever. Certainly not better than chrono trigger.

Melee is imo the best fighting game ever. But only the best FIGHTING game. And only in a competitive sense to me. I dont think that its 15 years makes it any better than it is. As a game it has its flaws and is pretty poorly balanced.
What the hell is so good about Chrono Trigger?!

*Person sees Melee beat chrono trigger"

Person: Melee isn't best game! It's unbalanced and broke!

*Same person sees pokemon gen1 lose*

Person: Omg this poll is a load of ****!!!

(if you don't understand, gen1 pokemon is broke as **** *cough* wrap *cough* freeze *cough* *cough* minimize/double team *COUGH*)

*Person sees Melee beat chrono trigger"

Person: Melee isn't best game! It's unbalanced and broke!

*Same person sees pokemon gen1 lose*

Person: Omg this poll is a load of ****!!!

(if you don't understand, gen1 pokemon is broke as **** *cough* wrap *cough* freeze *cough* *cough* minimize/double team *COUGH*)
Gen 1 is broke up the ass holy ****, and i personally believe they are the weakest in the series. imo they really shouldn't even be on the list

Red/Blue only have the nostalgia factor going for them.
I mean. If you want to go down that road, nearly every game in this competition only has the nostalgia factor going for them. Half of them don't hold up to present day at all. All of these games were considered masterpieces or great successes when they released. So we're deciding on the best one during it's time. That's the point of this competition, or at least I hope that's the point.

I mean. If you want to go down that road, nearly every game in this competition only has the nostalgia factor going for them. Half of them don't hold up to present day at all. All of these games were considered masterpieces or great successes when they released. So we're deciding on the best one during it's time. That's the point of this competition, or at least I hope that's the point.
That's actually a pretty good point. I guess I realized how much the later pokemon games improved.

I think it's a little more then "which game was best during its time." I will explain why i think this with an example. Lebron is considered by far the best in his time for basketball, and yet Lebron isn't considered in most people's "top 4" all time players. Some players considered weren't even #1 in their time. Now, what i do think the competition is about is the core of the games.

Get rid of the advantages games of today have over older games (graphics, powerful engines, etc.), and take the core gameplay mechanics. For example, some people say the first 2 fallouts are best then 3 and 4 because of the gameplay. I know this is pretty jumbled, but i hope you get the message.

tl;dr i partally agree, but core gameplay and how it withstands the test of time is a part of the competition as well.

Honestly I know this vote holds absolutely no real value and isn't an accurate sample of the population, but if Undertale wins best game ever after being out for like 3 months I'll literally punt a goat.

Cmon community. I understand that this vote isn't that important, but are we really gonna let undertale beat us? The smash community is massive, there is no way this should be happening (*cough* unless jealous fanboys of a certain game are butthurt so they won't vote for melee *cough*) you know who you are

Ugh, Undertale is the semifinal. Are people even going to remember Undertale's existence two years from now? I like Undertale, but even I see this as a classic "legacy vs. passing fad"

Undertale should have lost in like the second round. It had to go up against Mass Effect 3, Fallout 3, Super Mario World, Pokemon gen1, and Super Mario 64 and as of right now is beating melee. :confused::confused:

Are you voting for OoT?
I don't know, it's just another GameFAQs poll it doesn't really matter all that much. Besides, I think everyone already acknowledges Ocarina as a masterpiece. It might not be #1 for everyone but, you show me someone who doesn't think Ocarina is a masterpiece and I'll show you a liar.

Undertale fans are still active because the game is so recent. What they lack is continuity. Next year, Undertale's probably going to lose in the first round, like Mother 3 did. I liked Undertale, but I cannot put it above Mother 3, much less as high as it is right now.

I noticed most of the games in a franchise or genre are on the same bracket. Most of the really good games were at the top, and I think a decent amount of them would be in the other semifinal spot had they been placed further down the list. Don't have too much faith in this system; its rather poorly designed. I mean, mother 3 went against MGS3, and earthbound went against MGS in the same bracket. That's just being lazy.

We may lose this year, but we can't lose next year, since most of Undertale's fans will have moved on. If we were a bracket down, it would have been OoT vs Melee, which would be a lot more interesting of a debate, since it would've proved who was really the best game ever.

The coming of Gozer the Destructor of Fanboyism took the form of an L-block, a Launchpad and many others and this new form that was chosen is Undertale! Many Melee fans knew what is was to roast in the salty bowels of a giant Gamefaqs poll rigging this day let me tell you!

Top Bottom