• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee In - Best. Game. Ever. Competition - GO VOTE!

Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. Most certainly one of the greatest Nintendo titles of all time and among the longest living fighting games still seen regularly on the competitive circuit today. But with all these accolades, is it the best game ever? Gaming forum GameFaqs is setting out to prove just that in it's Best. Game. Ever. 20th Anniversary Edition poll and Melee needs readers' votes to win!

Melee has already beaten out several strong opponents like Kingdom Hearts II, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and Portal but now it is up against Chrono Trigger in its Division Final and the vote is VERY close! To continue on in the competition and have a chance to bring home the title of Best. Game. Ever. it has to make it through this leg of the competition. The best way it has a chance to win is if readers'...

Think Melee can beat Chrono Trigger and bring home the gold? How are the other games in the competition? Tell us in the comments below and keep those fingers crossed for Melee to take home the win!

Comments

Melee winning Best Game Ever would be like Ganondorf winning EVO. Possible but extremely unlikely. Let's see if the Melee community can impress us again.

This entire survey is stupid. All it does is appeal to nostalgia, plus the games that are on it are arbitrary, and half of them aren't even that good.

I'm just hoping Pokémon Red/Blue doesn't lose to Undertale (which I know it will still win). Its not that I hate Undertale, not at all, it is just that it is too early for it to be considered one of the best games ever.

The hell is Chrono Trigger? lol
Also nice to see all lf the Melee haters in this "community" showing how pathetic Smash 4 fans can be.

As if Melee is the best game ever... That game that those 20-year-old, low-life, losers play for money so they can make their pittance of an income instead of actually trying out the latest Smash game with actually decent graphics and game mechanics. Sure. "Best game ever"...

*queue ****storm*

Last edited:
As if Melee is the best game ever... That game that those 20-year-old, low-life, losers play for money so they can make their pittance of an income instead of actually trying out the latest Smash game with actually decent graphics and game mechanics. Sure. "Best game ever"...

*queue ****storm*
I agree that it's not the "best game ever," but that was uncalled for.

Melee is awesome and all, but its inferior to Chronotrigger in my eyes.

(Also this poll is bull bc Portal 2 is already out ;p)

There is nothing special about Smash 4. It's just a stripped down brawl without tripping, and will be outdated by the next Smash title.
It's a faster-paced, more exciting Brawl with more fighters, more content, better mechanics for competitive and casual play, better visuals, better balance, more modes, more players, more customization, better online functionality, DLC, and gaming's most legendary lineup of industry all-stars. Will it be outdated by the time the next, superior Smash game comes out? Yes, sequels tend to do that. Does that change the fact that it's a great game now? No.

Last edited:
Nah, melee isn't something i would call very easily learn-able. It's fun and very competitive, but it's also very unbalanced as well.
Considering 12 of the cast's 26 characters are tourney viable, I wouldn't say it's "very unbalanced".

There is nothing special about Smash 4. It's just a stripped down brawl without tripping, and will be outdated by the next Smash title.
Smashboards comment sections in a nutshell, right here. :rolleyes:

What a beautiful community we are.

Last edited:
Didn't think smashboards would stoop so low as to shill gamefaqs.
Besides, using smashboards to skew Melee's results puts us on the same level as Averagetale fans. They'll still win in the end, regardless, due to sheer numbers and the tumblr userbase.

Chrono Trigger is objectively the better game, either way.

Well it has 13 endings so actually really good kiddo.
Lmbo wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was asking a honest question. Melee has tons of freedom stuffed in it and I wondered if chronic trigger compares to it.
But really, it's kinda impossible to compare games of different genres. On one hand, we have a multiplayer "sports-like" game where the art is in the player, not the game itself technically. On the other, we have a novel, with a complex storyline and intricate characters.
Neither game is better than the other objectively because they don't have the same focal point.

I find it hilarious that Smash 4 players are insecure enough to enter a Melee thread just to start fights.

I find it hilarious that Smash 4 players are insecure enough to enter a Melee thread just to start fights.
I thought that was every Melee announcement, but maybe I'm looking at it backwards. Maybe if they did a worst game ever, it would totally be better than this.

Last edited:
Alright, I just looked all of this over.

Link to the Past beat FFIV?

That's pretty funny. Since it's fact that FFIV is the better constructed game.
I'm not sure how you define "better constructed," but regardless it's impossible to say that one game is factually better than another. It's really entirely opinion-based. I personally could never get into the Final Fantasy series, however I was a huge Zelda fan and Link to the Past was one of my favorites. So in my OPINION Link to the Past is the better game. Apparently the majority of voters shared that opinion, but that does not make it fact. Keep in mind how difficult it is to compare games across genres, because each genre has its own fanbase and criteria for being considered "good."

Also keep in mind that the games that are most likely to win are games that still retain a community today, such as Melee and popular speedrunning titles. The results are not necessarily based objectively on the quality of the game, but more on its popularity with the sample population that is most likely to stumble across this poll.

Top Bottom