• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee In - Best. Game. Ever. Competition - GO VOTE!

Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. Most certainly one of the greatest Nintendo titles of all time and among the longest living fighting games still seen regularly on the competitive circuit today. But with all these accolades, is it the best game ever? Gaming forum GameFaqs is setting out to prove just that in it's Best. Game. Ever. 20th Anniversary Edition poll and Melee needs readers' votes to win!

Melee has already beaten out several strong opponents like Kingdom Hearts II, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and Portal but now it is up against Chrono Trigger in its Division Final and the vote is VERY close! To continue on in the competition and have a chance to bring home the title of Best. Game. Ever. it has to make it through this leg of the competition. The best way it has a chance to win is if readers'...

Think Melee can beat Chrono Trigger and bring home the gold? How are the other games in the competition? Tell us in the comments below and keep those fingers crossed for Melee to take home the win!

Comments

I stopped taking it seriously at the mention of GameFaqs.

Also, they used vanilla KH2 as opposed to Final Mix? Even less credibility.

Nah, melee isn't something i would call very easily learn-able. It's fun and very competitive, but it's also very unbalanced as well.

Chrono Trigger? Yeah Melee doesn't compare, not any smash game actually. Sorry.

Nah, melee isn't something i would call very easily learn-able. It's fun and very competitive, but it's also very unbalanced as well.
Also this, as a game where even on a casual level much of the cast have horrible design choices and unfinished/unpolished attacks for example. You just can't compare Melee (As a game in general ) to an Epic and influential game like Chrono Trigger.

Last edited:
Wait, Melee beat KH2 directly?

Nonsense, even without Final Mix.

Not even being biased there since KH1 is actually my favourite game in the KH series anyway. And both Smash and KH are on just as high a pedestal for me.

All three of my favorite Zelda's are represented. Link to the Past, OOT, and Majora's Mask. Plus Chrono trigger... idk melee i'm feeling torn.

Last edited:
Chrono Trigger is by far better than Melee. Sorry. Although I still think Chrono Trigger is a tad but overrated, I had a much more enjoyable time playing that than I do when I play Melee. So I'm still going to vote for CT.

Oh wait. My viewpoint is different than everyone else's in this thread.

I guess I'll get another spam warning and mods will delete my post?

Last edited:
Alright, I just looked all of this over.

Link to the Past beat FFIV?

That's pretty funny. Since it's fact that FFIV is the better constructed game.

Chrono Trigger is only good the first time you play it and then becomes a repetitive and predictable experience while Melee delivers hundreds of hours of unique experience gameplay, for some, thousands. In that regard, Melee is objectively superior. I'd also argue that Melee is a superior game due to it having less scenes and more gameplay whereas jrpgs like Chrono are like a mix of visual novel text reading laced with dungeon crawling/overworld exploration and simplistic battles requiring little effort, especially compared to Melee fighting. If you want story, watch a movie or read a book; video games are best suited for interactivity-focused entertainment.

Melee is my favorite game in this poll now (since Undertale beat Super Mario World. D: )

I voted Melee and it's winning so far, but I'm still worried for this game because I think Undertale might beat it by a landslide given how CRAZY popular it became so quickly.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore
That's just this poll's L-block. It's all a ruse with some unwitting reddit/tumblr raiders sprinkled in. Obviously the only right thing to do with this silly poll is to keep voting for Undertale until someone like Jim Sterling has a meltdown.

It's really just as balanced as smash 4, just more optimized as its been it for 14 years and more volatile inherently

Top Bottom