• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee In - Best. Game. Ever. Competition - GO VOTE!

Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. Most certainly one of the greatest Nintendo titles of all time and among the longest living fighting games still seen regularly on the competitive circuit today. But with all these accolades, is it the best game ever? Gaming forum GameFaqs is setting out to prove just that in it's Best. Game. Ever. 20th Anniversary Edition poll and Melee needs readers' votes to win!

Melee has already beaten out several strong opponents like Kingdom Hearts II, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and Portal but now it is up against Chrono Trigger in its Division Final and the vote is VERY close! To continue on in the competition and have a chance to bring home the title of Best. Game. Ever. it has to make it through this leg of the competition. The best way it has a chance to win is if readers'...

Think Melee can beat Chrono Trigger and bring home the gold? How are the other games in the competition? Tell us in the comments below and keep those fingers crossed for Melee to take home the win!

Comments

It's a faster-paced, more exciting Brawl with more fighters, more content, better mechanics for competitive and casual play, better visuals, better balance, more modes, more players, more customization, better online functionality, DLC, and gaming's most legendary lineup of industry all-stars. Will it be outdated by the time the next, superior Smash game comes out? Yes, sequels tend to do that. Does that change the fact that it's a great game now? No.
At this point just get PM if u want fast paced and more fighters, and if u want fun, uhh... just get brawl minus.
Also, u never know, wat if the next smash actually sucks

At this point just get PM if u want fast paced and more fighters, and if u want fun, uhh... just get brawl minus.
P:M, though, still pales in comparison -- in terms of content -- to Smash 4. P:M has 41 fighters. Smash 4 has 56 (and counting!). This content advantage is evident enough in other areas too, so I'll refrain from going into detail here. Yes, P:M has a different gameplay style that some may find more enjoyable, and that's fine -- I respect their opinion. But that's a subjective matter. In terms of objective qualities, Smash 4 has more characters, stages, music, players... most of the stuff I listed before, basically. :p Whether or not it's the better game in terms of mechanics and character design is all up to opinion.

As for Brawl-, while it's over-the-top and amazing, I'd hardly consider it a replacement for a normal Smash Bros. title. :p
Also, u never know, wat if the next smash actually sucks
I highly doubt that. But if it for whatever reason did, hey, that's more reason for Smash 4 to shine!

I've been playing melee all my childhood, of course I'm going to vote for it! But even if we win this, we might have trouble with Skyrim.

Some of these comments are really disappointing. I feel like I'm reading YouTube comments. :urg:
Well welcome to the internet,
Every comment section, no. literally everyone has some percentage of idiocy in it. Its gr8, u just watch ppl argue with ppl they dont know and watch them go back and forth over something as pointless as LoL.
kek jk no hard feelings for anyone that plays LoL

P:M, though, still pales in comparison -- in terms of content -- to Smash 4. P:M has 41 fighters. Smash 4 has 56 (and counting!). This content advantage is evident enough in other areas too, so I'll refrain from going into detail here. Yes, P:M has a different gameplay style that some may find more enjoyable, and that's fine -- I respect their opinion. But that's a subjective matter. In terms of objective qualities, Smash 4 has more characters, stages, music, players... most of the stuff I listed before, basically. :p Whether or not it's the better game in terms of mechanics and character design is all up to opinion.

As for Brawl-, while it's over-the-top and amazing, I'd hardly consider it a replacement for a normal Smash Bros. title. :p

I highly doubt that. But if it for whatever reason did, hey, that's more reason for Smash 4 to shine!
dont get me wrong, ssb4 is tied with melee for me, but brawl mods are where its at man. Brawl- should be eSport btw.

lets be honest undertale will win
to much fanboys that think under-tale is perfect and will not let it go and rage when someone saids its at least 0.00000000000001% imperfect

I find it hilarious that Smash 4 players are insecure enough to enter a Melee thread just to start fights.
Yeah, cause it's not like Melee players have ever done THE EXACT SAME THING. Not saying it's right, just saying that both communities are VERY guilty of this.

Last edited:
This is pretty sweet! However, I am not voting, nor do I want Melee to win, as it just gives the Melee community another reason to bash all the other Smash games.

I love all the Smash games for different reasons. I can see why people focus on just one game if you are extremely serious about competing, but it's no reason to knock another game in the series down.

Though in my heart, Melee will always remain one of my favorite games ever. Thanks for introducing me to Fire Emblem, Melee!

Last edited:
Melee is great, but not BEST GAME EVER great. It's an extremely rushed product that is nowhere near its full potential as a game.
No game has truly reached its potential when you think about it. It's quite complete when you just consider the normal game vs humans

No game has truly reached its potential when you think about it. It's quite complete when you just consider the normal game vs humans
"quite complete"
Hell no. The game is a broken, rushed mess. A damn fun one that does some things better than the other entries, but its final form should've really been more polished than what we got.

I just really enjoy the challenge, speed, and hype that comes with playing melee. It has been that way since I was a kid. I just can't get the same enjoyment from these slower pace sequels.

Then again, I never got a chance to play Project M ^^"

Can someone please put an effort into bashing melee if that's where this thread is going? Haven't seen any valid points yet.

Probably because scrubs don't know how 2 logic I suppose, so they have to resort to petty insults.

But hey if that's where this is going I don't mind joining in.

Yup. It's too bad those Smash Bros. Melee players didn't try the whole "school/college" thing out. Maybe they'd actually have lives then. ;)
I make nearly 100k per year at my job. My job, much like Melee, requires actual skill.

You live with your parents.

Now, log off the internet, and do your homework like a good boy.

Last edited:
Can someone please put an effort into bashing melee if that's where this thread is going? Haven't seen any valid points yet.

Probably because scrubs don't know how 2 logic I suppose, so they have to resort to petty insults.

But hey if that's where this is going I don't mind joining in.

I make nearly 100k per year at my job. My job, much like Melee, requires actual skill.

You live with your parents.

Now, log off the internet, and do your homework like a good boy.
Wooooow a whole 100k. Very nice sir. You're such a big boy now. Notice how you don't make that money playing Melee.

It makes me feel glad I have parents to buy me whatever I want and the intelligence to complete all my educational obligations. It helps that I also enjoy learning. It's also why I feel bad to see these people playing Smash for a living instead of actually doing something helpful for society in the interest of furthering Humanity.

I think it would really do you some good to stop sucking up to Melee. It's honestly getting tiring to keep dealing with these sad little Melee fanboys. Maybe you should step out of your mothers basement and get a little fresh air, sir.

Last edited:
Yup. It's too bad those Smash Bros. Melee players didn't try the whole "school/college" thing out. Maybe they'd actually have lives then. ;)
yeah, i mean, you're totally proving that you have a life by ****posting on smashboards when you have better things to do, right? :-)

Last edited:
Wooooow a whole 100k. Very nice sir. You're such a big boy now. Notice how you don't make that money playing Melee.
Thanks dude. No need to be salty about it though.

It makes me feel glad I have parents to buy me whatever I want
Oh, you're a spoiled brat. Your attitude makes complete sense now.

and the intelligence to complete all my educational obligations.
https://www.reddit.com/r/justneckbeardthings/

It's also why I feel bad to see these people playing Smash for a living instead of actually doing something helpful for society in the interest of furthering Humanity.
Lol, no you're jealous because they're making bank playing a video game, and think that being a student makes you special. You are not special.

I can see someone, at some point 4 stocked you with pichu or something.

Maybe you should step out of your mothers basement and get a little fresh air, sir.
... You just said your mommy & daddy buy you everything you want, and you're telling me to leave my moms basement? I think you've got it bass ackwards.

I really hope my kids don't grow up to become neckbeards like you. The way you think is just sad. You're just a few more posts about how you are very very smart away from buying a fedora...

Last edited:
Thanks dude. No need to be salty about it though.

Oh, you're a spoiled brat. Your attitude makes complete sense now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/justneckbeardthings/

Lol, no you're jealous because they're making bank playing a video game, and think that being a student makes you special. You are not special.

I can see someone, at some point 4 stocked you with pichu or something.

... You just said your mommy & daddy buy you everything you want, and you're telling me to leave my moms basement? I think you've got it bass ackwards.

I really hope my kids don't grow up to become neckbeards like you. The way you think is just sad. You're just a few more posts about how you are very very smart away from buying a fedora...
Salt salt salt salt SAAAALTEH! ;)

Last edited:
"quite complete"
Hell no. The game is a broken, rushed mess. A damn fun one that does some things better than the other entries, but its final form should've really been more polished than what we got.
ok? brawl was 10x as broken gameplay-wise but i dont see you complaining about that.
At least SM64 has an actual nostalgia factor and amazing gameplay...
i honestly dont see too much of an argument for 64 being better than melee other than if you like confirmed 0-deaths
is the most unbalanced title ever seen!
brawl is 10x more unbalanced and if you say otherwise you really dont understand competitive smash at all and should actually learn your **** before talking like that online

Top Bottom