• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee In - Best. Game. Ever. Competition - GO VOTE!

Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. Most certainly one of the greatest Nintendo titles of all time and among the longest living fighting games still seen regularly on the competitive circuit today. But with all these accolades, is it the best game ever? Gaming forum GameFaqs is setting out to prove just that in it's Best. Game. Ever. 20th Anniversary Edition poll and Melee needs readers' votes to win!

Melee has already beaten out several strong opponents like Kingdom Hearts II, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and Portal but now it is up against Chrono Trigger in its Division Final and the vote is VERY close! To continue on in the competition and have a chance to bring home the title of Best. Game. Ever. it has to make it through this leg of the competition. The best way it has a chance to win is if readers'...

Think Melee can beat Chrono Trigger and bring home the gold? How are the other games in the competition? Tell us in the comments below and keep those fingers crossed for Melee to take home the win!

Comments

i feel like smashboards has been contaminated by a bunch of smash 4 fanboys that play for glory every day, claim they hate competitive play despite that, have 20 "mains," think melee is the worst game in existence despite not having played it in years if at all, claim its unbalanced/broken while ignoring brawl outright, pray to alpharad every night, and have at least 5 amiibo

Wooooow a whole 100k. Very nice sir. You're such a big boy now. Notice how you don't make that money playing Melee.

It makes me feel glad I have parents to buy me whatever I want and the intelligence to complete all my educational obligations. It helps that I also enjoy learning. It's also why I feel bad to see these people playing Smash for a living instead of actually doing something helpful for society in the interest of furthering Humanity.

I think it would really do you some good to stop sucking up to Melee. It's honestly getting tiring to keep dealing with these sad little Melee fanboys. Maybe you should step out of your mothers basement and get a little fresh air, sir.
wat r u doing exactly? complaining to ppl online isnt helping society either. Also no edge, plz, for the sake of all of us.

i feel like smashboards has been contaminated by a bunch of smash 4 fanboys that play for glory every day, claim they hate competitive play despite that, have 20 "mains," think melee is the worst game in existence despite not having played it in years if at all, claim its unbalanced/broken while ignoring brawl outright, pray to alpharad every night, and have at least 5 amiibo
This is so spot on i wanna cry tears of soy. ;_; truth it's so gud

Hi guys

Melee winning best game ever would be great - I'm a big fan of it - but it has no chance against Undertale because Undertale rallies massively in every match.

It's currently on course to come back from 7000 votes down and beat Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow. If it does that, I don't see how Melee can win.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/bge20_vote

I SOOO need to play Chrono Trigger all the way through now. Is it still worth it? Like would it be the same epicness if i played it in 2015?

...Melee is definitely my all time favorite game though. Ill be voting melee for sure!

Nah I think Melee is the unbalanced one Brawl is close but no cigar
Every Smash title is generally unbalanced except for 64, due to sheer numbers on the roster. Melee, however, has 12/26 characters viable in tournament. Meta Knight broke the Brawl meta, enough to have the character banned at some point. Ganondorf was at one point in his own tier below the rest of the cast. Sure, Brawl has some ZSS and Snake in the top ranks, but even just looking at Evo 2015 Melee, where there were 8 unique characters in the top 8 (9 if you count Armada's use of Peach earlier in the tournament), there is no question. Brawl is extremely unbalanced compared to Melee. Don't listen to what everyone tells you, or what the Smash 4 players think.

EDIT: For Brawl, pikachu is a good pick in the MK matchup and marth is sometimes seen as well, but not to the extent that characters such as peach, jigglypuff, falcon, ICs, samus, pika, luigi and yoshi appear in Melee. Please watch more Smash and inform yourself... And with more universal tech being discovered even in 2015, the game is bound to become more balanced just by the nature of having more options for all characters unanimously.

Last edited:
ok? brawl was 10x as broken gameplay-wise but i dont see you complaining about that.
The balance of both Brawl and Melee is horrible for entirely different reasons. Melee's balance is awful because of 8 really broken characters, while Brawl was broken because of two characters, but the most broken character in Brawl was the most broken character in the history of the Smash series. Another things is that outside of balance, Melee was way worse in terms of brokenness because of a lot of stuff that did not work properly such as broken hitboxes and mechanics not working as properly. This was a way worse problem in Melee than Brawl. Not to mention in terms of completeness, Brawl felt like a game that was closer to competition than Melee because it wasn't rushed out. Devs were high af when they balanced Meta Knight though. lol

Everyone is putting far too much stock in this poll. Keep in mind this is not an accurate sampling of the gaming population. People also aren't voting objectively on which game is the greatest, but simply which game they actually played or loved personally the most. For example, I put a lot more hours into skyrim than super mario 64, but I still think 64 is the better title because it was literally revolutionary and skyrim couldn't exist without it. I'm assuming most people voted skyrim because they are a younger generation and didn't ever play 64 or simply enjoyed skyrim more, without taking a look at the impact each game had on the world. This isn't an incorrect way of choosing how to vote, simply a different one because the category of "best game ever" is too vague.

Ur wrong because brawl- is dankest game in da world SmokedCarpenter SmokedCarpenter
brawl- trumps all games in gameplay and innovation.
For example, DK has a good vertical recovery. LIKE IF THAT ISN'T SOME CRAZY REVOLUTIONARY ****, THEN IDK WAT IS.

Just want to put a PSA out there that
UNDERTALE IS CURRENTLY BEATING POKEMON RED/BLUE AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT!!!

...Please stop fighting for 30 seconds and go vote for Pokemon.
:025:

Melee workshop and r/ssbm ftw

The balance of both Brawl and Melee is horrible for entirely different reasons. Melee's balance is awful because of 8 really broken characters, while Brawl was broken because of two characters, but the most broken character in Brawl was the most broken character in the history of the Smash series. Another things is that outside of balance, Melee was way worse in terms of brokenness because of a lot of stuff that did not work properly such as broken hitboxes and mechanics not working as properly. This was a way worse problem in Melee than Brawl. Not to mention in terms of completeness, Brawl felt like a game that was closer to competition than Melee because it wasn't rushed out. Devs were high af when they balanced Meta Knight though. lol
Implying that any of the top 8 characters in Melee are broken

Anyways even if they were, that would still be a ton better than brawl. Balance is all relative. You can't say 8/26 characters are broken when they all get beaten all the time and all have major weaknesses.

2 characters within their own tiers is a million times worse than 8 characters simply in top tier.

If you didn't notice, everything they did well in Melee is bad in brawl and everything they did bad in Melee is good in brawl. The general human vs human gameplay in Melee is a lot better than brawl, but brawl is better in lack of clones, AI, single player etc.

Yeah, there are quite numerous issues with hitboxes in Melee that are often forgotten due to them only applying to low tiers. They're still 10x better than brawl low tiers because melee low tiers can actually do ****.

Melee isn't unbalanced. Brawl is one of top 10 worst balanced fighting games.

It's not a matter of whether Melee or Brawl is imbalanced -- one being imbalanced does not mean that the other is balanced, and one game being worse than the other in this regard does not mean that we can excuse the problems clearly present in each. Melee and Brawl being imbalanced are not mutually exclusive.

Melee is imbalanced to some degree -- only under half/a third of the cast are viable (if I'm to believe what I hear on this thread), whereas in Brawl, only a handful are. Brawl has worse balance in this regard, but Melee is still imbalanced. Which is fine for what Melee brings to the table -- perhaps it may be best for such a technical game to have less characters that one needs to learn about -- but I just wanted to say why I find this argument rather pointless. I mean, pretty much every game in existence is imbalanced in some way or another.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of whether Melee or Brawl is imbalanced -- one being imbalanced does not mean that the other is balanced, and one game being worse than the other in this regard does not mean that we can excuse the problems clearly present in each. Melee and Brawl being imbalanced are not mutually exclusive.

Melee is imbalanced to some degree -- only under half/a third of the cast are viable (if I'm to believe what I hear on this thread), whereas in Brawl, only a handful are. Brawl has worse balance in this regard, but Melee is still imbalanced. Which is fine for what Melee brings to the table -- perhaps it may be best for such a technical game to have less characters that one needs to learn about -- but I just wanted to say why I find this argument rather pointless. I mean, pretty much every game in existence is imbalanced in some way or another.
I really agree. I think melee isn't really unbalanced and is pretty much just average because 64 and smash 4 have about the same % of viable characters

I really agree. I think melee isn't really unbalanced and is pretty much just average because 64 and smash 4 have about the same % of viable characters
Your are both wrong.

first of all because you thought i were comparing melee only with others Smash game but since the subject is about "the best game ever" (wich is of course TheLegendOfZelda:OcarinaOfTime), I wasn't.

Secondly, i play melee, brawl and pm competitively as GuiltyGear, BlazBlue and as i played King of Fighters 95'96'97'98'2000'2001'2002'XIII'XIV and Street FighterII. And that's only my 2D-fighting game list.
I dont have a WiiU and i don't play Smash4 maybe in 2016 i will start.
Brawl had a good competitive life Considering it carateristic lunar gravity (thank's to nairo, m2k, PrfssorPro...) and i loved maining snake but i wasn't really considering Brawl when i talked about how imbalanced melee is.
I you have aver played any other 2D-fighting games you should know that smash games are possibly be must imbalanced 2D-fighting ever created (of course the great PM3.6 is not counted)

Finally, competitively speaking, is an obvious evidence of melee deep imbalancement if you have to compare it to Brawl -a great game, but designed with the specific will of avoid any competitive openning, thanks to the automatic random stumble-

Last edited:
Wait, guys. Someone tell me about this "Undertale" game. What the heck is up with it? It came out of nowhere in September and now it's like this huge cult classic that everyone is going insane for. WTF?! Someone please explain.

Wait, guys. Someone tell me about this "Undertale" game. What the heck is up with it? It came out of nowhere in September and now it's like this huge cult classic that everyone is going insane for. WTF?! Someone please explain.
according to most reviews and video it all about writing quality and simplistic looking...a kind of a new mother2/Earthbound

I voted for SMRPG because from what I've played and seen on top 10 Mario games videos, SMRPG has always been ranked high for being a classic and different kind of game in the Mario world.

I like pokémon more than Tetris. But should pokémon have won? Hell no. Tetris has had more influence on the medium than every other game on this list combined.

It's not about which is what is liked and not liked, it is what is the best game ever in context.

Wait, Melee beat KH2 directly?

Nonsense, even without Final Mix.

Not even being biased there since KH1 is actually my favourite game in the KH series anyway. And both Smash and KH are on just as high a pedestal for me.
I agree, KH 1 Final Mix > KH 2 Final Mix. Sure the fighting system in #2 is more entertaining, but the story was all over the place and could never touch the sense of adventure that #1 provided.

I'm honestly surprised to see Undertale winning over Pokémon Red/Blue and Melee over Chrono Trigger. Hopefully Melee will win over Final Fantasy VII

<insert old speedrunning game here>
I knew speedrunning was going to be mentioned as soon as I posted the message. And I do think that's a good point. But I also think speedrunning is a situation where it's practiced by a very small number of people but appreciated by many. And speedrunning is done for "good" or "bad" games.

It's more of a culture than a rating system.

Last edited:
Name any other game that is still very much alive after almost 15 years with no other content or updates whatsoever.
Yeah, Melee has reached an impressive feat, but that doesnt make it even close to the best game ever. Certainly not better than chrono trigger.

Melee is imo the best fighting game ever. But only the best FIGHTING game. And only in a competitive sense to me. I dont think that its 15 years makes it any better than it is. As a game it has its flaws and is pretty poorly balanced.

Top Bottom