• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

zankyou

Smash Lord
Yeah, I realized it's not easy to describe clearly, haha.

The image below is the vanilla texture for the closed port panels, with the bottom/left panel made visible (it's normally transparent). The panels are perfectly aligned horizontally and vertically, relative to each other (as expected, since it's all one image).

View attachment 34250

However, once you insert it into the game and let it do its thing, it's misaligned. You can see it if you look closely at a vanilla copy of the game. This must happen because the texture is loaded onto two different objects, and one (or both) of them is out of place when it reaches its final resting place. I'm thinking that the resting place, it's closed state "destination" coordinates, could be changed.

The misalignment is especially noticeable with examples like this:

View attachment 34251

Notice the smash ball and especially the "G" in TRAINING are screwed up (which is why I never released this texture. Sorry achilles :p).

I tried to compensate for the bug by graphics alone, but that's really difficult because of how the image mechanics are designed. The middle portion between the two panels actually appears on both halves. You can see this clearly by looking at the partially closed Player 3 slot. Notice that the upper right of the "N" in TRAINING appears on both halves. This area of the panels overlaps when fully closed. And once the parts stop moving, partial transparency is unfortunately applied to the middle portion (this could have been a good idea in theory, but the execution of the idea was flawed). Because the panels are not properly aligned, the middle portion that appears partially transparent over a copy of itself is not actually directly over its copy, resulting in distortion. And any pixel that is changed within that middle portion (i.e. photoshopping/editing of the texture) will manifest itself as a change in two different places in the finished in-game result. Sort of a ghosting effect. (My closed port texture with the dragon insignia in the other thread gets away with this because most of the areas are solid color fills, and it's not perfectly clear what the edges' shape SHOULD be, so you can't tell it's slightly off.)

However, if the panels were correctly aligned -e.g. the top/right panel's resting place were moved 1px down and 1px to the left- then the overlaying would essentially be redundant and irrelevant. I don't know if this falls under your specialties, but I thought I'd mention it since you were talking about moving elements on the CSS. If this could be fixed, intricate patterns or altogether new designs spanning both halves of the closed character ports would work great.
Sorry it took me so long to get to this but I don't think this is something that can easily be changed. If it works like the SSS then its probably easier found through looking at ram changes which isnt my strongest area. Somewhere theres probably an end position for the two halfs but that position probably is interpreted through the games logic and not explicitly in the dat file. With school and the things Im currently working on Im not sure when I'll have a chance to look at it.

View attachment 33747

RAM offsets. Goes in order of CSS icons from left to right and top to bottom.

Now fill me in on how to move and rotate them.
So I think I understand how you can move the portrait icons more freely but still in pairs. I can't guarantee it will work but its definitely a step in the right direction. Ill have to look for the file I indexed the CSS with if you want to know more. Hopefully I havent lost the file.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Modifying the stage select screen. I can't get rid of the transparency on the portrait because its tied to an unknown structure but it doesnt look too bad hopefully. I just hope the ram supports the amount of images Im going to try to add.

DRGN

Technowizard
Whoops...!

DHSE02-6.png

DHSE02-5.png

RAM addresses 80452c74 and 80452c78 apparently somehow affects hidden surface removal (HSR). What's strange though is that full front-to-back rendering direction wasn't completely affected (or else we'd see the far wall or the stage in front of zelda). I know that some HSR is handled by the hardware, and some by the software, so maybe that has something to do with it? And it's interesting how it looks like the layering is prioritized into groups, meaning the game renders stuff of similar model types together. Objects like the items and some things on the characters are all on top, followed by the characters, then the stage (except the water is actually like an item?), then the stage background. Also strange that zelda's armor is apparently a different type of object than link's sword, shield, or even bandolier/sash.

There's an interesting pattern between the two addresses:

80452c74 - Default: .1 (3dcccccd); starts doing interesting things if you set it to around 176 (43300000) or higher, affecting more and more things from there, starting in the foreground.
80452c78 - Default: 16,384 (46800000); starts doing interesting things if you set it to around 176 (43300000) or lower, affecting more and more things from there, starting in the background.

New values will only update the rendering in camera mode 0 (the default for multiplayer matches), but once that's set you can change to other camera modes such as debug's free roam and check out how strange everything looks.

80453058 is pretty interesting too:
DHSE02-1.png

Modifying the stage select screen. I can't get rid of the transparency on the portrait because its tied to an unknown structure but it doesnt look too bad hopefully. I just hope the ram supports the amount of images Im going to try to add.
That's cool. I think the neutrals should be together though, like along the top.

@Jorgasms made a rendition of the SSS not too long ago, found here. Although I've never liked how P:M's SSS had the neutrals along the bottom. I think if they went along the top, and were separate from the others like zankyou's example, they'd stand out really well.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Whoops...!

View attachment 38234

View attachment 38235

RAM addresses 80452c74 and 80452c78 apparently somehow affects hidden surface removal (HSR). What's strange though is that full front-to-back rendering direction wasn't completely affected (or else we'd see the far wall or the stage in front of zelda). I know that some HSR is handled by the hardware, and some by the software, so maybe that has something to do with it? And it's interesting how it looks like the layering is prioritized into groups, meaning the game renders stuff of similar model types together. Objects like the items and some things on the characters are all on top, followed by the characters, then the stage (except the water is actually like an item?), then the stage background. Also strange that zelda's armor is apparently a different type of object than link's sword, shield, or even bandolier/sash.

There's an interesting pattern between the two addresses:

80452c74 - Default: .1 (3dcccccd); starts doing interesting things if you set it to around 176 (43300000) or higher, affecting more and more things from there, starting in the foreground.
80452c78 - Default: 16,384 (46800000); starts doing interesting things if you set it to around 176 (43300000) or lower, affecting more and more things from there, starting in the background.

New values will only update the rendering in camera mode 0 (the default for multiplayer matches), but once that's set you can change to other camera modes such as debug's free roam and check out how strange everything looks.

80453058 is pretty interesting too:
View attachment 38239

That's cool. I think the neutrals should be together though, like along the top.

@Jorgasms made a rendition of the SSS not too long ago, found here. Although I've never liked how P:M's SSS had the neutrals along the bottom. I think if they went along the top, and were separate from the others like zankyou's example, they'd stand out really well.
These are some pretty cool finds. Ill have to try and find a use for them somehow. You should try updating ssbmo page if thats open to editing.
Also I don't want to spoil too much about what Im going for with the SSS in case it doesnt work but the starter stages are going to be on the bottom, probably. Its what I had in mind when I was designing it. However if you think itd be beneficial I could increase the gap between the two sets.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Is it possible to load adventure mode stages in multiplayer? I think some of these stages would be great competitive stages.

Some examples:
It's happening.

(sorry about bad quality gif and not running the game at 100%)

20XX neutral spawn points and Battlefield's blastzones/camera limits. 100% ASM hack and still testing a few things with it.

After looking at your post again, I just now realized that the various Link battle stages have different platform setups...so I could actually make all of them possible to play on!

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
It's happening.

20XX neutral spawn points and Battlefield's blastzones/camera limits. 100% ASM hack and still testing a few things with it.

After looking at your post again, I just now realized that the various Link battle stages have different platform setups...so I could actually make all of them possible to play on!
The ideal would be some ASCII arts to show how the platforms are on each forms of the Maze stages in the debug menu (where you would choose the form I guess?)

zankyou

Smash Lord
It's happening.

Oh cool. I was planning on going through the adventure stages after I finished the SSS but didnt know how to go about that one because of the change it makes

DRGN

Technowizard
It's happening.

Dude, this is really awesome. Good stuff!

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Holy crap, that looks awesome (at first i thought it was a custom project m menu at first)

It's happening.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
This is really cool btw. Looking forward to seeing the end product!

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Very interesting stuff here :p

I was wondering, did someone already did some research about default nametags ?

In an ideal world, I would like to implement some texture hacked characters dedicated to pro players.
Let's say I have two different Samus, one for Plup and one for HugS.

1) Is it possible to automatically display "Plup" instead of "Samus" whenever Plups' Samus is highlighted, and "HugS" for HugS for instance ? ("Plup" and "HugS" being treated as default names like Samus, Fox etc, which means they won't be displayed in game etc)

2) If not possible as default name tag, is it possible to define these as custom Name tags and affect the name tag whenever someone is highlighting the corresponding character ?

3) I'm interested in everything about nametags, the corresponding files in the disc, what has already been discovered etc...

Thank you :p

zankyou

Smash Lord
Very interesting stuff here :p

I was wondering, did someone already did some research about default nametags ?

In an ideal world, I would like to implement some texture hacked characters dedicated to pro players.
Let's say I have two different Samus, one for Plup and one for HugS.

1) Is it possible to automatically display "Plup" instead of "Samus" whenever Plups' Samus is highlighted, and "HugS" for HugS for instance ? ("Plup" and "HugS" being treated as default names like Samus, Fox etc, which means they won't be displayed in game etc)

2) If not possible as default name tag, is it possible to define these as custom Name tags and affect the name tag whenever someone is highlighting the corresponding character ?

3) I'm interested in everything about nametags, the corresponding files in the disc, what has already been discovered etc...

Thank you :p
I imagine so. Achilles has a thread about changing the character names so it wouldn't really be a nametag in that regard. You could make a code that runs only when say the cursor byte for what skin and character are selected is equivalent to the one you want. Speaking of that, Achilles should I add the cursor offsets Ive found to the ssbmo spreadsheet. I dont know if that open to editing.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I imagine so. Achilles has a thread about changing the character names so it wouldn't really be a nametag in that regard. You could make a code that runs only when say the cursor byte for what skin and character are selected is equivalent to the one you want. Speaking of that, Achilles should I add the cursor offsets Ive found to the ssbmo spreadsheet. I dont know if that open to editing.
What's your email address? I think I can invite you to edit. PM me.
(If anyone else would like to add stuff, just give me your email)

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
3rd! It's already there, I'm just trying to figure out what "legal" hacked stages will all be on there so I can plan accordingly.
What if the Hyrule Maze ministage chosen was random? i.e. a different layout when Icicle Mountain was chosen?

Imo that would be like the ultimate neutral stage.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
What if the Hyrule Maze ministage chosen was random? i.e. a different layout when Icicle Mountain was chosen?

Imo that would be like the ultimate neutral stage.
I thought of that too, and I like the idea. But what if a TO decides they want to include a certain transformation as tournament legal (who knows! it's a possibility). Maybe it could be an option in the settings.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
I thought of that too, and I like the idea. But what if a TO decides they want to include a certain transformation as tournament legal (who knows! it's a possibility). Maybe it could be an option in the settings.
I'm sure there is enough room for a a case for random, and 5-6 other cases in the SSS that will be a specific stage, all without going in the debug menu.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I'm sure there is enough room for a a case for random, and 5-6 other cases in the SSS that will be a specific stage, all without going in the debug menu.
I think I can incoporate this into my SSS, but it might not be done for a week depending on how busy I am and what problems I run into.

DRGN

Technowizard
Do you guys think there is better lighting on some stages than on others? I'm not quite sure if many of them are just the same, but with light coming in from another angle. Also, would it be difficult to say, give Temple's lighting to Dreamland?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Do you guys think there is better lighting on some stages than on others? I'm not quite sure if many of them are just the same, but with light coming in from another angle. Also, would it be difficult to say, give Temple's lighting to Dreamland?
I encountered the lighting flags in stage files before but couldnt decipher any patterns nor did I think too much about it. It actually took me forever to realize that the shadow angle was changing. Also Im pretty sure whichever hacking god created the neon off color yoshi story did it some work in this area as the characters are all orange tinted which could be the lighting. That file is a good place to start. I believe its the groundparam node.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I encountered the lighting flags in stage files before but couldnt decipher any patterns nor did I think too much about it. It actually took me forever to realize that the shadow angle was changing. Also Im pretty sure whichever hacking god created the neon off color yoshi story did it some work in this area as the characters are all orange tinted which could be the lighting. That file is a good place to start. I believe its the groundparam node.
I presume there to be two flags at least. One for lighting amount and another for color tint. I know Milun's site talked about the color tint one. I might check into the lighting on the Hyrule Maze stage because it's super dark.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Just wondering, would there be anyway to load the low polygon models instead of the regular models, for example (look the the left)

Last edited:

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
So just a quick question if I have 2 melee hacks (one with cool stages and the other with the soundtrack) is it possible for me to just copy paste the sountrack to the one with the cool stages ?

CeLL

Smash Lord
So just a quick question if I have 2 melee hacks (one with cool stages and the other with the soundtrack) is it possible for me to just copy paste the sountrack to the one with the cool stages ?
Just copy over all the stage files (Gr***.dat) or the audio folder to the other.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Is there any sort of documentation on subactions that ons that change speed? Specifically, I want to remove the slowdown on DK's dash attack.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
not speed of animation, speed applied to animation like dash attacks

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this question but i dont know where else to ask/look. I have looked on GBATemp and can not figure it out either. How can i have both normal Melee and 20XX on my Wii which is modded with USB Loader and all that. I have PM and 20XX on there but i dont know how to have both Melee and 20XX at the same time to play both. Any help?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this question but i dont know where else to ask/look. I have looked on GBATemp and can not figure it out either. How can i have both normal Melee and 20XX on my Wii which is modded with USB Loader and all that. I have PM and 20XX on there but i dont know how to have both Melee and 20XX at the same time to play both. Any help?
You can put both of them on there, just move one to another folder before you install it although you won't know which one is which. The best option really is just to change the game id of one of them. Theres a thread on the forum somewhere but I don't have time to check for you. Sorry

DRGN

Technowizard
Has anyone experienced their 'Load Custom Textures' feature suddenly just not work at all? I've double checked that the filenames are the same as what Dolphin would dump for that texture. And I've even tried restarting everything, including my computer. Very strange.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Has anyone experienced their 'Load Custom Textures' feature suddenly just not work at all? I've double checked that the filenames are the same as what Dolphin would dump for that texture. And I've even tried restarting everything, including my computer. Very strange.
That's what I was experiencing earlier. It wasn't working for me until I switched to OpenGL.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
this is why programmers need to get off MS's DirectX drug and start building better OpenGL plugins.

I always question why programmers go for DX over GL when GL is so much easier and supports just as much.
and then we have that Mantle newcomer sporting a few muscles as well >_>
I'm thinking about supporting that in UMC

there's the argument that OpenGL is slow, but I blame that on sloppy plugin programming.
in my experience, I've gotten my imports running at 60FPS on a GT430 on a dual-core AMD CPU with python (of all languages) using OpenGL's deprecated FFP.
and here I plan to move to modern GLSL with GL4.0.
and to say that C++ (Dolphin) runs slower than Python 2.7 (UMC) is more than a joke.

Top Bottom