• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

DRGN

Technowizard
I really like this btw. I love the use of the smash icon for the 0. My initial idea was to use the shine hexagon, but this may be better. Either way, I need a new closed CSS panel logo for the pack!
Yeah, I was disappointed that I couldn't get rid of the bug by graphics alone. I tried tweaking it for quite a while. Now I'm just hoping someone will come along with enough knowledge on moving elements to figure out how to re-position one of the parts of the panel.

Of course, the alternative is to come up with a new design where the bug is less noticeable.

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
Would look nicer if it blended more, idk about that bold white, a gray would work better tbh.

gamerfreak5665

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so I tried remaking the percentage textures and made them more high res and cool looking. I am pretty new to texture hacking, for the life of me I can't find where the textures for the damage percentages and character stock icons are on the Melee ISO. Does anyone know what .dat file it's on? They are _2.tga files, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, just another thought that came to me, is there any way to change the color of effects such as fire, electricity and darkness? It would be cool if I could change the color of Mewtwo's darkness moves and Shadow ball.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so I tried remaking the percentage textures and made them more high res and cool looking. I am pretty new to texture hacking, for the life of me I can't find where the textures for the damage percentages and character stock icons are on the Melee ISO. Does anyone know what .dat file it's on? They are _2.tga files, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, just another thought that came to me, is there any way to change the color of effects such as fire, electricity and darkness? It would be cool if I could change the color of Mewtwo's darkness moves and Shadow ball.
Idk about the percents, but the stock icons' locations are known as a whole, but not the individuals, and since they have palettes which (according to Steelia) are not near their image data, it is a tedious task to find them all.

There is an effect thread stickied...

Achilles1515

Smash Master

The damage percent images are located in IfAll.usd

I don't have exact offsets, but you should be able to take the original dumped png images, put them through DRGN's PNG to TPL converter, and then copy a portion of those values from the TPL and search for them in IfAll.usd to find the offsets.

gamerfreak5665

Smash Rookie
The damage percent images are located in IfAll.usd

I don't have exact offsets, but you should be able to take the original dumped png images, put them through DRGN's PNG to TPL converter, and then copy a portion of those values from the TPL and search for them in IfAll.usd to find the offsets.
Thank you very much! I've got it working now.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I understand that finding the individual stock icon textures and their offsets is a tedious process, but how would one go about doing it?

Doq

Smash Lord
I'm busy trying to find a command line tool for gc image injections. The one I currently have breaks in recompilation (which is why the 20XX Installer doesn't work half the time).

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Does anyone know how I can force Melee to render Mr. Game & Watch in 3D?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Odd. I was basing off that G&W's model is flat in Brawl. This is something of a real oddity.
It's not flat in Brawl either. All of his appearances use a 3D model that gets its Z-axis points set to 0.0001 by the game (according to a Brawl Vault post). Some of his tools, like the bucket and the Mario Bros box (as well as the firemen and everything else used in Fire), are 2D (including the off LCD frames in his OSA). His helmet, Vermin hammers, Octopus helmet and Spitball Sparky mouth (and possibly the Chef pan) are 3D but get flattened. His post-Melee manhole cover is the only thing that doesn't get flattened (which is weird).
There's a REL hack that makes him 3D in Brawl, but it crashes the game when you use Chef since the food are separate character instances (gamewatch_food) and the game gets confused when it tries to apply the REL's 3D settings to an instance of completely 2D assets that lack a Z-axis to inflate. The food items aren't even included with everything else in his charatcer model (at least I couldn't find them there), and apparently are stored somewhere else.

Last edited:

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
How do I insert the DSPs back into the ssm file? Whenever I try hex editing it, the ssm file seems to not have the right sound effects that the DSPs had. I made sure the values I copied over to the offsets were the same bytes as the hex files, no more and no less.

DRGN

Technowizard
It's not flat in Brawl either. All of his appearances use a 3D model that gets its Z-axis points set to 0.0001 by the game (according to a Brawl Vault post). Some of his tools, like the bucket and the Mario Bros box (as well as the firemen and everything else used in Fire), are 2D (including the off LCD frames in his OSA). His helmet, Vermin hammers, Octopus helmet and Spitball Sparky mouth (and possibly the Chef pan) are 3D but get flattened. His post-Melee manhole cover is the only thing that doesn't get flattened (which is weird).
There's a REL hack that makes him 3D in Brawl, but it crashes the game when you use Chef since the food are separate character instances (gamewatch_food) and the game gets confused when it tries to apply the REL's 3D settings to an instance of completely 2D assets that lack a Z-axis to inflate. The food items aren't even included with everything else in his charatcer model (at least I couldn't find them there), and apparently are stored somewhere else.
You know, this kind of makes sense. They probably did it so that they could use the same animation functions for GAW as they do for the other characters. Otherwise they'd have to write a 2D engine just for him.

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Hey did anyone ever find that texture for the blast aura i've been searching forever, and cant seem to find it?
The texture? Yes. Lance posted about it recently in the Color Hacking Thread. The texture (black and white) is found, and is the same as his up-b, but no one knows where the color is stored.
so if i can't change the color of it. could i possibly just remove the aura texture completely, because frankly to me it just looks odd with a different colored laser coming out? Then if somebody one day finds the color I'll just re install it.

DRGN

Technowizard
so if i can't change the color of it. could i possibly just remove the aura texture completely, because frankly to me it just looks odd with a different colored laser coming out? Then if somebody one day finds the color I'll just re install it.
Yeah, you can remove it. Just replace the texture with one that's completely transparent, with nothing in it.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Is it not currently possible to replace the default battlefield with the one used in single-player modes during Mewtwo's all-star fight and the Metal Mario battle? I would assume that the single player one is another .dat, but I have no clue how I'd find out which one it is, or if it's even it's own .dat. Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Is it not currently possible to replace the default battlefield with the one used in single-player modes during Mewtwo's all-star fight and the Metal Mario battle? I would assume that the single player one is another .dat, but I have no clue how I'd find out which one it is, or if it's even it's own .dat. Thanks for any help :)
https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee/Master_Debug_Menu#STAGE

There is the stage 11-1BATTLE and 11-2BATTLE, check both and make battlefield load that one instead of the normal battlefield.

I don't know the name file for both though.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee/Master_Debug_Menu#STAGE

There is the stage 11-1BATTLE and 11-2BATTLE, check both and make battlefield load that one instead of the normal battlefield.

I don't know the name file for both though.
It uses the same battlefield file. I tried forcing vs mode to load the "vs. Mewtwo all star version" and it did not include the background. There must be some ASM check somewhere to see if the game is in single player. I've never looked into it, but I would like to.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
It uses the same battlefield file. I tried forcing vs mode to load the "vs. Mewtwo all star version" and it did not include the background. There must be some ASM check somewhere to see if the game is in single player. I've never looked into it, but I would like to.
If you're ever able to figure it out that'd be awesome. I always like texture hacks that keep the feel of the default texture while changing it up and this one would do exactly that.

Edit: Plus I'm sure you'd love to add it to 20XX if you ever figure it out.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yup. This.

Though, Steelia, do you know about the 'Load Custom Textures' feature in Dolphin? It's amazing! For testing/working with textures it's even easier than savestates, because it updates them in real time, while the game is running! The option is found under the Advanced tab in the graphics config. Basically you put textures into "\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\<GAMEID>\", and give them the exact name that Dolphin gives the texture when it dumps it (so you could just copy/paste the original file and then edit it). Now whenever that image is changed, it will be reflected in-game instantly.
I'm not sure why this isn't working for me. What am I doing wrong?
Capture.PNG

EDIT: Fixed my problem. I guess I had to switch to OpenGL instead of DirectX

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I'm not sure why this isn't working for me. What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 37322

EDIT: Fixed my problem. I guess I had to switch to OpenGL instead of DirectX
You should be able to use Direct3D. I'm guessing that you originally dumped that Pichu CSP using OpenGL. So when you were running Direct3D it was looking for a CSP with a different TexID than what you had.

RideRide

Smash Cadet
http://gfycat.com/SpanishSilentCaimanlizard
Now that I kind of know how to do that, I want to try it with ganon's dair...

By the way, two more questions I have to ask:

1. Is there a thread/post about animation research?
2. Is there a Gecko/AR code that lets you enable hitboxes with a certain button combo without having to use debug menu/20XX?

Last edited:

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Hey
I've been researching these subs a lot lately as I acquired a Wii in order to use the 20xx pack and modify some of it myself.

Everything is very detailed and works perfectly,thank you all for your hard work !

There's only one thing I can seem to find : I'm looking for a list of every image file in this game. (I have character, csp and stages data already but I can seem to find anything about the rest).

Is there something like that ?
Thanks in advance for your answer !

Edit : I'm speficically looking for the Start menu images , the "no character selected" image, in case there's not a full list

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hey
I've been researching these subs a lot lately as I acquired a Wii in order to use the 20xx pack and modify some of it myself.

Everything is very detailed and works perfectly,thank you all for your hard work !

There's only one thing I can seem to find : I'm looking for a list of every image file in this game. (I have character, csp and stages data already but I can seem to find anything about the rest).

Edit : I'm speficically looking for the Start menu images , the "no character selected" image, in case there's not a full list
http://smashboards.com/posts/18478953/

Jobii

Smash Rookie
Maybe a scrubby question and apologies if its been answered elsewhere, but i've downloaded a custom shine texture - where do I put it with melee toolkit?

DRGN

Technowizard
Hey

By "no character selected", do you mean this one?: View attachment 28309
If so, you can read about hacking that texture here. And by start menu images do you mean the ones on the game intro screen that says "Press Start"?

So far, not all textures have been found. But they CAN be. You can check out CeLL's link to find out how (in step 2). I'm currently working on something to make this easier.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
By "no character selected", do you mean this one?: View attachment 28309
If so, you can read about hacking that texture here. And by start menu images do you mean the ones on the game intro screen that says "Press Start"?

So far, not all textures have been found. But they CAN be. You can check out CeLL's link to find out how (in step 2). I'm currently working on something to make this easier.
That was exactly what I was looking for ;)

For the other textures, I guess I'm going to have to try the whole Dolphin dumping process then :p
Thank you for your answers

Top Bottom