• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

zankyou

Smash Lord
What am I looking at?

And yes, that gif was Yoshi's Story.
Haha its really hard to explain what youre looking at since the background mesh for target stages are all moving objects. But the theyre all flat on the back as spinning, enlarging, or traveling in some random path. I basically inserted the ground sky/cloud area into sheiks target stage and thats what came out. Oddly enough I didnt even insert the image. and its still using the image for all the target stages background. I just copied the color structure data and thats what came out.

Oh and I cant remove relocation table entries for some reason. The game basically demands there's THIS many objects and if I try to make it overlook one it wont load. No idea why.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Oh and I cant remove relocation table entries for some reason. The game basically demands there's THIS many objects and if I try to make it overlook one it wont load. No idea why.
I believe @ Milun Milun ran into the same problem when making stages, too. All you have to play around with is what's already there, or else the game throws a fit :skull:

DRGN

Technowizard
Haha its really hard to explain what youre looking at since the background mesh for target stages are all moving objects. But the theyre all flat on the back as spinning, enlarging, or traveling in some random path. I basically inserted the ground sky/cloud area into sheiks target stage and thats what came out. Oddly enough I didnt even insert the image. and its still using the image for all the target stages background. I just copied the color structure data and thats what came out.
Oh, that's cool.
Did you also change the value that defines the number of entries? It's 4 bytes at 0x08 in the file header.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Oh, that's cool.

Did you also change the value that defines the number of entries? It's 4 bytes at 0x08 in the file header.
Yeah I tried that. Its a good idea.
I believe @ Milun Milun ran into the same problem when making stages, too. All you have to play around with is what's already there, or else the game throws a fit :skull:
I can imagine. Ill try removing all the child nodes with it next time.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
This whole thing reminds me of Smash 64 hacking I used to mess around with. I'm pretty sure the game will only load a stage file if the filesize is the exact same. I might be wrong, but to me it seems like the game is checking for something similar to that in Melee. It did something of the like in Smash 64 when I was injecting Game Shark codes. I donno, you guys are way ahead of me on this stuff.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
So no dice on editing the amount of values in the relocation table. If its not in the header than it has to be in a different file. Maybe the .dol or .toc. If shamrock were still here Id ask him if he noticed a random value associated with these when he was going through them. This does answer my question though of how the game distinguishes one stage from another since you cant just swap them despite changing the name.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Zankyou, do you think it is possible for you to fix battlefield ledges?
I would kill for a brawl-like battlefield in melee.

I had the idea to just stretch the floor downwards to make the ledges not as thin.
Here is what I mean:

On the left with a slant like in brawl, not sure if this is possible.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Zankyou, do you think it is possible for you to fix battlefield ledges?
I would kill for a brawl-like battlefield in melee.

I had the idea to just stretch the floor downwards to make the ledges not as thin.
Here is what I mean:

On the left with a slant like in brawl, not sure if this is possible.
I could easily do that, but Milun already covered that for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG3A6qlV4_c&list=PL56105087849339B7&index=18

Theres so much potential playing with image and texture flags

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Thanks for the link but I meant to strech the floor a lot more downwards so you can grind the side of the stage with your diagonal up-b firefox/bird.
At least to an extend.
Like in Dreamland 64.

Hope that makes any sense to you :]
Yeah I see what you mean. Right now Im not particularly making new stages but just trying to see how far I can push the game. The structure for dats are all generally the same with some exceptions so the stage hacking methods apply to other files.

On a side not. I can move and rotate the icons freely, but the clickable position doesnt change. Might not be in the dat but Ill keep looking

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yeah I see what you mean. Right now Im not particularly making new stages but just trying to see how far I can push the game. The structure for dats are all generally the same with some exceptions so the stage hacking methods apply to other files.

On a side not. I can move and rotate the icons freely, but the clickable position doesnt change. Might not be in the dat but Ill keep looking
Capture.PNG

RAM offsets. Goes in order of CSS icons from left to right and top to bottom.

Now fill me in on how to move and rotate them.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Three things.

1. Why do I keep getting the error "OSPanic: GALE01: " whenever I try to run Melee in debug mode? Started happening yesterday and I have no idea why it's happening or how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. @ Z zankyou Your stage hacks are epic! I can't believe this is the first time I've seen them. I can explain how to change spawns if you need it. Also, are there any notes you can share with us?

3. I love how involved everyone is getting. When I first got into this, Achilles and IE were the only ones doing anything. Love it and so glad to be apart of it.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Three things.

1. Why do I keep getting the error "OSPanic: GALE01: " whenever I try to run Melee in debug mode? Started happening yesterday and I have no idea why it's happening or how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. @ Z zankyou Your stage hacks are epic! I can't believe this is the first time I've seen them. I can explain how to change spawns if you need it. Also, are there any notes you can share with us?

3. I love how involved everyone is getting. When I first got into this, Achilles and IE were the only ones doing anything. Love it and so glad to be apart of it.
Lots of notes coming. Its just theres a mildly steep learning curve to it. I didnt really get IE's stage hacking guide till I read it multiple times and it didnt have any perspective til I read other documentation over and over. Since there's no set terminology used to describe things it makes it a lot harder when everyone refers to things differently.
Theres a few more things I want to test before I try to explain stage hacking in simpler terms. Pretty sure Steelia, revel, milun, and tcll knew how to model hack and Im going to see if I can apply it to stages. That and whether or not you can get rid of unused relocated offsets and replace them with new ones in order to add meshes or objects such as another spawn point for trophy stages.
Really I might just try to make a guide for alternatively looking at dat hacking since so many things carry over.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
View attachment 33747

RAM offsets. Goes in order of CSS icons from left to right and top to bottom.

Now fill me in on how to move and rotate them.
Im not sure if you can move more than the characters on the extreme right and left freely. They seem to be tied together somehow.

Btw, how did you find these addresses. Are they documented?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Im not sure if you can move more than the characters on the extreme right and left freely. They seem to be tied together somehow.

Btw, how did you find these addresses. Are they documented?
I found them by looking at an old AR code for making Giga-Bowser playable. So it was changing the character [external] ID to 0x1D which is Giga. And then I just poked around and looked at patterns in the data and stuff.

There’s still things there that I haven’t fully tested. Like I think the line below the CSP/Char ID line controls what character icon flashes when that character icon you are editing is chosen. So, for example, you could choose Fox but have Falco flash white instead of Fox. Also, somewhere in there is the flag to make a character have the question mark icon instead of the character icon.

But the documentation I gave is all that is available about this CSS info (to my knowledge). It's powerful stuff.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I found them by looking at an old AR code for making Giga-Bowser playable. So it was changing the character [external] ID to 0x1D which is Giga. And then I just poked around and looked at patterns in the data and stuff.

There’s still things there that I haven’t fully tested. Like I think the line below the CSP/Char ID line controls what character icon flashes when that character icon you are editing is chosen. So, for example, you could choose Fox but have Falco flash white instead of Fox. Also, somewhere in there is the flag to make a character have the question mark icon instead of the character icon.
Reverse engineering ar codes is brilliant. Yeah theres the icon for the question mark in MnSlChr file. I played a bit with the bytes after the char id and got some interesting results. Youre definitely right about the flashing colors thing which btw I never noticed happened. But its somehow tied to the unlocking of characters. Such as swapping the first 4 bytes after docs id with luigi puts a question mark on every unlockables icon and selecting doc unlocks luigi. Its weird. I wonder if it would be possible to add a random select option though.

Edit: Where is this menu?

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I could easily do that, but Milun already covered that for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG3A6qlV4_c&list=PL56105087849339B7&index=18

Theres so much potential playing with image and texture flags
Interesting. What flags?

Neat. Do you think you could move the closed port panels? Specifically, to fix the bug I described here.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Interesting. What flags?

Neat. Do you think you could move the closed port panels? Specifically, to fix the bug I described here.
If you just want to move them it shouldnt be too hard. Are you talking about P2's port.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to selectively move swap? I know you can do full move swaps with AR codes and everything, but would it be possible to, for example, give Sheik a shine or Falco a counter?

Milun

Smash Ace
I'd imagine it'd mess with the animation a bit if you managed that. Is it possible to add more character slots?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Why would you want more character slots. If you want a current character already in game though I could imagine that being possible. You cant add values to the relocation table in my experience. I think thats how the game knows what file is which. But I believe you can repurpose values. I meant to test this but theres so many things Ive been experimenting with.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Super rookie question here

How do I go about learning how to "read" .dat files and find offsets and w/e that I need? I know I can use MasterHand to an extent to prod around character files, but how would I, for example, mess with laser properties, which I assume are in EfFxData.dat?

I want to start to get good at Melee modding, but I'm finding that it isn't all that easy to get into.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Super rookie question here

How do I go about learning how to "read" .dat files and find offsets and w/e that I need? I know I can use MasterHand to an extent to prod around character files, but how would I, for example, mess with laser properties, which I assume are in EfFxData.dat?

I want to start to get good at Melee modding, but I'm finding that it isn't all that easy to get into.
Theres a thread about dat files. But really reading them isnt an easy task. Theyre not all in the same layout. Things like laser colors though have been figured out.

DRGN

Technowizard
If you just want to move them it shouldnt be too hard. Are you talking about P2's port.
I was talking about all players' ports. But only the top/right panel. It should be moved 1px down and 1px to the left.

It would fix a small graphical bug and allow for better looking hacks for closed character ports. (I can give an example later if you want.)

This is the texture, located at 0x2F760. Although that image texture is also used for the bottom/left panel. And because the panels move and aren't attached in a static place, I think we'd actually have to somehow modify the end state/position that the panel goes to. I tried to find values relating to this with Dolphin's Cheat Search feature myself a while back (particularly with the opening/closing), but I couldn't find anything useful.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I was talking about all players' ports. But only the top/right panel. It should be moved 1px down and 1px to the left.

It would fix a small graphical bug and allow for better looking hacks for closed character ports. (I can give an example later if you want.)

This is the texture, located at 0x2F760. Although that image texture is also used for the bottom/left panel. And because the panels move and aren't attached in a static place, I think we'd actually have to somehow modify the end state/position that the panel goes to. I tried to find values relating to this with Dolphin's Cheat Search feature myself a while back (particularly with the opening/closing), but I couldn't find anything useful.
I cant say for certain because Im not sure what youre trying to change. A pic would help.

DRGN

Technowizard
I cant say for certain because Im not sure what youre trying to change. A pic would help.
Yeah, I realized it's not easy to describe clearly, haha.

The image below is the vanilla texture for the closed port panels, with the bottom/left panel made visible (it's normally transparent). The panels are perfectly aligned horizontally and vertically, relative to each other (as expected, since it's all one image).

GALE01 - Made opaque _72e9b203_3.png

However, once you insert it into the game and let it do its thing, it's misaligned. You can see it if you look closely at a vanilla copy of the game. This must happen because the texture is loaded onto two different objects, and one (or both) of them is out of place when it reaches its final resting place. I'm thinking that the resting place, it's closed state "destination" coordinates, could be changed.

The misalignment is especially noticeable with examples like this:

upload_2014-12-30_2-34-27.png

Notice the smash ball and especially the "G" in TRAINING are screwed up (which is why I never released this texture. Sorry achilles :p).

I tried to compensate for the bug by graphics alone, but that's really difficult because of how the image mechanics are designed. The middle portion between the two panels actually appears on both halves. You can see this clearly by looking at the partially closed Player 3 slot. Notice that the upper right of the "N" in TRAINING appears on both halves. This area of the panels overlaps when fully closed. And once the parts stop moving, partial transparency is unfortunately applied to the middle portion (this could have been a good idea in theory, but the execution of the idea was flawed). Because the panels are not properly aligned, the middle portion that appears partially transparent over a copy of itself is not actually directly over its copy, resulting in distortion. And any pixel that is changed within that middle portion (i.e. photoshopping/editing of the texture) will manifest itself as a change in two different places in the finished in-game result. Sort of a ghosting effect. (My closed port texture with the dragon insignia in the other thread gets away with this because most of the areas are solid color fills, and it's not perfectly clear what the edges' shape SHOULD be, so you can't tell it's slightly off.)

However, if the panels were correctly aligned -e.g. the top/right panel's resting place were moved 1px down and 1px to the left- then the overlaying would essentially be redundant and irrelevant. I don't know if this falls under your specialties, but I thought I'd mention it since you were talking about moving elements on the CSS. If this could be fixed, intricate patterns or altogether new designs spanning both halves of the closed character ports would work great.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Yeah, I realized it's not easy to describe clearly, haha.

The image below is the vanilla texture for the closed port panels, with the bottom/left panel made visible (it's normally transparent). The panels are perfectly aligned horizontally and vertically, relative to each other (as expected, since it's all one image).

View attachment 34250

However, once you insert it into the game and let it do its thing, it's misaligned. You can see it if you look closely at a vanilla copy of the game. This must happen because the texture is loaded onto two different objects, and one (or both) of them is out of place when it reaches its final resting place. I'm thinking that the resting place, it's closed state "destination" coordinates, could be changed.

The misalignment is especially noticeable with examples like this:

View attachment 34251

Notice the smash ball and especially the "G" in TRAINING are screwed up (which is why I never released this texture. Sorry achilles :p).

I tried to compensate for the bug by graphics alone, but that's really difficult because of how the image mechanics are designed. The middle portion between the two panels actually appears on both halves. You can see this clearly by looking at the partially closed Player 3 slot. Notice that the upper right of the "N" in TRAINING appears on both halves. This area of the panels overlaps when fully closed. And once the parts stop moving, partial transparency is unfortunately applied to the middle portion (this could have been a good idea in theory, but the execution of the idea was flawed). Because the panels are not properly aligned, the middle portion that appears partially transparent over a copy of itself is not actually directly over its copy, resulting in distortion. And any pixel that is changed within that middle portion (i.e. photoshopping/editing of the texture) will manifest itself as a change in two different places in the finished in-game result. Sort of a ghosting effect. (My closed port texture with the dragon insignia in the other thread gets away with this because most of the areas are solid color fills, and it's not perfectly clear what the edges' shape SHOULD be, so you can't tell it's slightly off.)

However, if the panels were correctly aligned -e.g. the top/right panel's resting place were moved 1px down and 1px to the left- then the overlaying would essentially be redundant and irrelevant. I don't know if this falls under your specialties, but I thought I'd mention it since you were talking about moving elements on the CSS. If this could be fixed, intricate patterns or altogether new designs spanning both halves of the closed character ports would work great.
Hmm... hard to say. It could be outside of my knowledge. In my experience with stages animations are directly after objects and the positions are somewhere near the end of the file, or very beginning. Seeing as how they each have a different image on them Id imagine they are different objects and therefore a good place to start would be just to try and move the uberposition of the bottom panel and see if the end coordinate moves as well. Ill look at it later.

Last edited:

BaxterCarvajal

Smash Rookie
Hi, I heard that there's a program for vertex hacking Melee models (It said it was called MMC on the first page of this thread) but the websites of the creator of the program seem to be down. If anyone has the program or any programs/advice for vertex hacking the character models, that'd be great, I'm planning on making a vertex hack of Wario.

Top Bottom