• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Gecko Codes + Guide and Discussion

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
I think I fixed it.

CSS Hands Default to HMN Button (with bug fix) (1.02)
044DC47C C0200000
C2261A6C 00000004
2C110000 40820014
3DE08026 61EF1B6C
7DE903A6 4E800420
1C130024 00000000

Alright. So what was happening is that the portion of a CSS function relating to "clicking an on-screen button and having an action occur" is executed whenever you successfully create a name tag (and also whenever you click the HMN/CPU button and when initially opening the name tag select box). So different actions occur for different buttons, and the game decides what action to execute based on the current cursor position. So when the button action code lines were executed after making a name tag, it looked at the cursor position (which was changed to be above the HMN/CPU button), and then it acted as though it was pressing that button.

At the beginning of the button action code subfunction, I noticed r17 had a value of 0 in it after creating a name tag. Anytime else these lines were executed, r17 seemed to have a value of 4. So I just added in a blip of custom ASM to check if r17 was 0 and if so, to skip over the button action subfunction (which is what normally happens with the vanilla CSS hand location).

Code:
Fix Player Hands Default to HMN Button Bug

Inject @ 80261a6c

cmpwi r17,0
bne- END
lis r15,0x8026
ori r15,r15,0x1b6c
mtctr r15
bctr

END:
mulli r0,r19,36    //default code line at 80261a6c
Well that was fast xD Awesome stuff as usual, Achilles.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
CSS Hands Default to HMN Button (with double bug fix) (1.02)
044dc47c c0200000
C2261a6c 00000005
89FF0005 2C0F0002
40820014 3DE08026
61EF1B6C 7DE903A6
4E800420 1C130024
60000000 00000000

Itaru

MasterGanon
Code:
v1.00 Hitlag Behavior (1.02) [Dan Salvato]
040771f0 3b000000

Holy ****s, I spent hours looking for this one stupid line of code. If someone has done this already then RIP, lol.

Anyway, this code reverts hitlag behavior back to v1.00. In v1.00, any attack that dealt less than 1% damage had 0 frames of hitlag. Certain characters' attacks were balanced around this consideration, such as Samus' upB and Young Link's grounded upB. In v1.02, one frame of hitlag is applied, which makes these moves easily escapable with SDI.

Because of this, the v1.00 hitlag behavior is often preferred, especially for players who main the affected (often lower-tier) characters.
Can you increase hitlag more than 20 frames?

CaptainJazz

Smash Cadet
Every music is replaced by Dreamland 64 (1.02/Gecko)
C238B6DC 00000002
3B400066 934DC0C4
60000000 00000000

I don´t know what I was thinking.........
Was looking for memory with the bgm-id stored and one thing lead to another..........
Where do I put this code into the 1.02 DOL, and what if I want it to be every stage Mute City? Would I just change the 66 to 5D?

Obskore

Smash Ace
hi, i added a few more codes to my gct and they stopped working
is there a limit of lines as well? and if yes, is there a gameconfig.txt for melee?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Where do I put this code into the 1.02 DOL, and what if I want it to be every stage Mute City? Would I just change the 66 to 5D?
Just try it as a Gecko code in dolphin.

hi, i added a few more codes to my gct and they stopped working
is there a limit of lines as well? and if yes, is there a gameconfig.txt for melee?
Yes there is a limit. I think it's 255 lines or something. There is no gameconfig.txt file. I attempted to make one long ago but never could get it to work and then moved on to ASM injections.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Ive been having trouble with a dol injected code and I figured you guys could help. The code works on dolphin but not on the wii. On the wii as soon as I tell it to load a word it freezes.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Ive been having trouble with a dol injected code and I figured you guys could help. The code works on dolphin but not on the wii. On the wii as soon as I tell it to load a word it freezes.
No one has any idea what your code is loading, where it is loading values, or in what manner it is trying to load them. More specific details are necessary.

zankyou

Smash Lord
No one has any idea what your code is loading, where it is loading values, or in what manner it is trying to load them. More specific details are necessary.
Im trying to make a toggle point. Its not really a code. Its 2 lines that load a byte into the register. But Im pretty sure Im an idiot and know whats wrong.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Single Player Battlefield Background in Vs. Melee (1.02)
04219d08 60000000

View attachment 37278

Get money.
Weird, I can't make a gct with this code because GeckoCodes.org's Online GCT Creator keeps saying it's not a code. When I tried using another code from this thread it worked just fine. Has anyone else ran into this problem, or does anyone know of a different gct creator?

Doq

Smash Lord
Weird, I can't make a gct with this code because GeckoCodes.org's Online GCT Creator keeps saying it's not a code. When I tried using another code from this thread it worked just fine. Has anyone else ran into this problem, or does anyone know of a different gct creator?
Code Manager. The one with the skull.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Z Button at Results Screen Force Loads CSS
C2178228 00000004
540F06F7 41820010
3DE08047 61EF9D64
91EF0000 540004E7
60000000 00000000

Forget having to wait for your friend to quit picking his nose to press Start!

But really, this was created to help mitigate issues with 20XX when skip results screen is not being used. Because random DI/teching in the current version turns P2 CPU into a human and then forces controller inputs, the results screen would think player two is a human if the game was ended/quit out during a DI/teching/P2 action moment (this is why the menus scroll like crazy as well). And if you didn't have a controller plugged into P2, you would have to switch your controller over to port 2 to press Start, and sometimes this wouldn't even work.

So this is an easy little workaround.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Im trying to make a toggle point. Its not really a code. Its 2 lines that load a byte into the register. But Im pretty sure Im an idiot and know whats wrong.
This didn't really answer achilles' question either. I'm willing to help but you gotta give some details.

Also, I have some beef here. I feel like you're always asking how to do this or that without really putting a whole lot out. I know that many, including myself, are victims to this but you especially have done this. With your knowledge you could be helping innovate but instead I feel like you're only piggybacking off of others and keeping to yourself. This is probably inappropriate or not the right place but I'm putting it out there because you need to see it. Sorry.

04219d08 60000000

View attachment 37278

Get money.
You've really been outdoing yourself lately. I like it.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
04219d08 60000000

View attachment 37278

Get money.
Confirmed working in Dolphin (obviously), but I can't get this working on a Wii. I've tried both Dios Mios (via Dios Mios Booter) and Nintendont. Anyone else up to try it on a console?

Last edited:

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed working in Dolphin (obviously), but I can't get this working on a Wii. I've tried both Dios Mios (via Dios Mios Booter) and Nintendont. Anyone else up to try it on a console?
Works fine for me, I'm using Dios Mios Lite and boot with an SD-Card.
Are you using a 1.02 iso?

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
This didn't really answer achilles' question either. I'm willing to help but you gotta give some details.

Also, I have some beef here. I feel like you're always asking how to do this or that without really putting a whole lot out. I know that many, including myself, are victims to this but you especially have done this. With your knowledge you could be helping innovate but instead I feel like you're only piggybacking off of others and keeping to yourself. This is probably inappropriate or not the right place but I'm putting it out there because you need to see it. Sorry.

You've really been outdoing yourself lately. I like it.
Eh, I wasnt really looking for help on what Im doing but more so what methods of troubleshooting there are for writing codes. Ive figured out what I was doing wrong but thanks for offering to help.
As far as the beef goes, everything Ive done Ive given to the community. Ive only written one code before and anything else Ive done that doesnt break the game is documented somewhere.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Eh, I wasnt really looking for help on what Im doing but more so what methods of troubleshooting.
?????????????

Set breakpoints and step through. Monitor your registers before and after each step and check the offsets you write to. It's also good practice to look at the surrounding function without your own code to see if registers are modified/used shortly after. If that fails, try setting your registers accessed to 0 before and after your code.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Works fine for me, I'm using Dios Mios Lite and boot with an SD-Card.
Are you using a 1.02 iso?
Yea, I'm using 20XX 3.02. I'm using DML 2.11. Maybe I made the gct wrong? Could you please upload yours for me on mediafire or something? If it doesn't work then I know the problem's something else.

zankyou

Smash Lord
?????????????

Set breakpoints and step through. Monitor your registers before and after each step and check the offsets you write to. It's also good practice to look at the surrounding function without your own code to see if registers are modified/used shortly after. If that fails, try setting your registers accessed to 0 before and after your code.
It was a really silly mistake. With dolphin you can access ram outside of the wii's which start at 8000000 I think. So when I used shamrocks method to find where the toggle was it gave me the ram address that was not in that range because theres another copy of the ram starting at 0x00.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
It was a really silly mistake. With dolphin you can access ram outside of the wii's which start at 8000000 I think. So when I used shamrocks method to find where the toggle was it gave me the ram address that was not in that range because theres another copy of the ram starting at 0x00.
That will do it. I'm surprised your gecko code worked in dolphin. Several of mine fail when I forget lis rR 0x80XX, ori rR, rR, 0xYYYY.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I'm using 20XX 3.02. I'm using DML 2.11. Maybe I made the gct wrong? Could you please upload yours for me on mediafire or something? If it doesn't work then I know the problem's something else.
I only use the vanilla version, not sure if the code interferes with the 20xx version.

Anyway here is my GCT file for testing, just press start after the character selection and it will load directly to battlefield.
https://www.mediafire.com/?d6078ziacvrt4md

zankyou

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how the l cancel training wheels code work. Would it be possible for me to reverse engineer it so that only a certain player had it.

CaptainJazz

Smash Cadet
Just try it as a Gecko code in dolphin.
I am trying to make a redistributable modded version of Melee, similar to your efforts in 20XX, but with different goals in mind. Is it possible to make it something I could inject so that I dont have to ask people to make further steps? This is what I have thus far, to show you and others that I could use support with questions. I have so so many.

youtube.com/watch?v=jx7ZRkgM2GE

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
I have a question to anyone who has ever written an ASM code.
How do you go from ASM to a hex value? I know how to go from hex to ASM using dolphin, but I couldn't find how to go the other way. I tried using this: https://code.google.com/p/pyiiasmh/ but I couldn't understand how to install it and there was no tutorial about it.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I am trying to make a redistributable modded version of Melee, similar to your efforts in 20XX, but with different goals in mind. Is it possible to make it something I could inject so that I dont have to ask people to make further steps? This is what I have thus far, to show you and others that I could use support with questions. I have so so many.

youtube.com/watch?v=jx7ZRkgM2GE
Lol, it’s looking great! Are you trying to have Falcon be the only playable character?

I highly suggest you learn to create ASM codes yourself.

You’ve probably seen this link before, but watch this entire video and follow along.

Download link for Dolphin DebugFast

As for that code you want concerning having the random character selection at the CSS always give you Falcon, 0x480844 is the memory address for P2’s character ID at the CSS. It changes whenever P2 selects a character. I would start with setting a memory write breakpoint at this byte and then trace back ASM to find out what line stores this “random” character ID and how it gets there. And I’m sure you could just write a little code to force Falcon’s ID as the value to be stored.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
N64 Mode - 4 Frames of Lag for L-Canceled Aerials
0408d6a4 FC000032

The most efficient way to do so.

When L-canceling occurs, this code gets executed to divide the normal landing lag by two.
Code:
*f1 holds the default landing lag for the aerial in question
8008d6a0 - lfs f0,0xE8 (r6)    //loads 2 into f0
8008d6a4 - fdivs f0,f1,f0      //divides the landing lag
8008d6a8 - fctiwz f0,f0        //converts this floating point to an integer (rounds down)
etc.
The code above changes line 8008d6a4 to:

8008d6a4 - fmul f0,f0,f0

So instead of placing (landing lag)/2 into f0, it places 2*2=4 into f0.

Why did no one tell me the N64 mode in the current 20XX (with zero lag) is wrong?? I should have known it would be stupid to have zero landing lag.

EDIT: For ASM exercise purposes, say I wanted to disable l-canceling with the above code lines. All I would need to do is change line 0x8008d6a8 to "fctiwz f0,f1". Instead of converting the halved landing lag into an integer, it would just use the default landing lag (still in f1 at the time) instead.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Can you increase hitlag more than 20 frames?
plco offsets

A174 20 Max number of frames of hitlag

A178 .333 damage multiplier for frames of hitlag

A17C 3 Base hitlag

A180 .667 hitlag multiplier on crouching?

A184 1.5 Electric Element Hitlag multiplier

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
plco offsets

A174 20 Max number of frames of hitlag
A178 .333 damage multiplier for frames of hitlag
A17C 3 Base hitlag
A180 .667 hitlag multiplier on crouching?
A184 1.5 Electric Element Hitlag multiplier
Dude, awesome. How did you find these? Do we have a list anywhere that maps out PlCo.dat offsets?

Top Bottom