• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovage

Smash Hero
All this work being put into maintaining sportsmanship on our part isn't exactly paying off imo.

:phone:
skullgirls VA read leffen's post on their donation livestream today and then explained how their camp isn't going to play the race in such a dirty way..

(then fanatiq says leffen has aspergers and we shouldn't judge the melee community on someone like him)

LMFAOOOIF(WEG&U#$HWT$W#UH Wit75a2u

smashmachine

Smash Lord
skullgirls VA read leffen's post on their donation livestream today and then explained how their camp isn't going to play the race in such a dirty way..

(then fanatiq says leffen has aspergers and we shouldn't judge the melee community on someone like him)

hey now, they're just venting at their two person tournament /leffen

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Guys I was all liek, ohnoes SG gunna pass us tonight with their stream. Then i found trihex's stream and his donations not being put in until the end. Damn, this donation drive has given me so much entertainment.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion

lol tell me what they said for leffen lolololololol i need to go rewatch that.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
wowwwwwwww

M2K is...M2K, but seriously? It's not like we're taking potshots at the members of their community like that.

Whatever respect I had for Fanatiq has evaporated.

Smooth Criminal
"lolAspergers! HEY DONATE TO BREAST CANCER!"

smashmachine

Smash Lord
well to be fair, leffen is taking potshots at the other dozen members of the skullgirls community
OH SNAP

lol just kidding guys

zmx

Smash Lord
From what I've gathered SG tourny attendance has been quite low for some time. That 2 man tourny thing was legit.

That's why even if I didn't like Melee, I'd want it to win over SGs. If it's own community isn't even dedicated enough to attend locals then...

I mean I'm sure it'll get more entrants at Evo because 1. It's Evo 2. Pot Bonus

But I'd bet a lot of the top players will just be from the rest of the FGC with top notch fundamentals rather than the top players from their own community that really progressed the metagame. In other words, it's like there's not even a distinctive community showing up for the event.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
From what I've gathered SG tourny attendance has been quite low for some time. That 2 man tourny thing was legit.

That's why even if I didn't like Melee, I'd want it to win over SGs. If it's own community isn't even dedicated enough to attend locals then...

I mean I'm sure it'll get more entrants at Evo because 1. It's Evo 2. Pot Bonus

But I'd bet a lot of the top players will just be from the rest of the FGC with top notch fundamentals rather than the top players from their own community that really progressed the metagame. In other words, it's like there's not even a distinctive community showing up for the event.
skullgirls probably would struggle to get half of MK9 last year, which had 291 with a $23k pot despite the horrible entrant numbers

zmx

Smash Lord
I don't know guys, how'd they put together nearly 25k if the games on life support?

:phone:
That's what I've been wondering as well.

The tournaments hosted+entry numbers and then how much they've actually donated just doesn't add up.

Unless of course the majority of people that donated for SGs aren't really that interested in competitive play to begin with...they might have donated/like it for....other reasons.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
wait hold up
does the money they're raising through shirts or whatever get deposited all at the end or what
cause if so.....they're probably not actually behind

Aww what happened to all the talk about us coexisting as communities?

Well I guess you can't coexist with something that isn't alive anymore.

.____.
something that isn't alive anymore
kinda like PS vita right
*shots fired*

Revven

FrankerZ
See, all the donation money we've raised has by and large, been by the community itself. Skullgirls? Some of their community did it, yeah, but if it wasn't for the VAs and their voice mail nonsense where they are now wouldn't even be happening. A lot of the voice mail stuff attracted the fanbase that doesn't even play the game (either they're fans of the art/music or support indie games) and/or don't play it competitively.

But it's fine *shrugs*.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
They said east coast is dead, west coast is stacked. Stop talking about them anyways guys, that's not the point. They made a statement and they're not to be trifled with...we're one to talk about casual donators anyways when we're upvoting reddit posts and reaching out to gamefaqs.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
They said east coast is dead, west coast is stacked. Stop talking about them anyways guys, that's not the point. They made a statement and they're not to be trifled with...we're one to talk about casual donators anyways when we're upvoting reddit posts and reaching out to gamefaqs.
uh, pretty sure melee could be double digits with a tourney in the middle of freaking kansas
anyway let's get this show on the road

zmx

Smash Lord
Shoutouts to gfaqs.

Got started there.
As did I. And I still go there more far more than Smashboards. Gasp you mean there are other games than just Smash worth playing? Amazing I know.

Anyway it's not about casual vs hardcore supporters. It's about the actual competitive scenes themselves, tourny entrants, viewership and donating because you actually want to see the game at Evo vs donating because of other reasons.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
See, all the donation money we've raised has by and large, been by the community itself. Skullgirls? Some of their community did it, yeah, but if it wasn't for the VAs and their voice mail nonsense where they are now wouldn't even be happening. A lot of the voice mail stuff attracted the fanbase that doesn't even play the game (either they're fans of the art/music or support indie games) and/or don't play it competitively.

But it's fine *shrugs*.
i can sort of vouch for this, i frequent tumblr a lot and a lot of people there play skullgirls, but not competitively. Most of them are just huge fans of the characters

smashmachine

Smash Lord
i can sort of vouch for this, i frequent tumblr a lot and a lot of people there play skullgirls, but not competitively. Most of them are just huge fans of the characters
yeah probably
guys, spam the skullgirls stream with links to melee donations :awesome:

@GHNeko: chill, bro
what's up with the gamefaqs shoutouts

Life

Smash Hero
I started out on GFAQS insisting that YL was a sleeper top tier.

Years later, long after I abandon that train, Armada vs. Hbox happens.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
If you see any famous person tweeting/posting about the SG drive, just post links of the Melee donation or Trihex's speed run. I'm assuming most of these people don't know Melee is in the running, and considering that everybody loves Smash Bros, they might be willing to donate to that instead.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
If you see any famous person tweeting/posting about the SG drive, just post links of the Melee donation or Trihex's speed run. I'm assuming most of these people don't know Melee is in the running, and considering that everybody loves Smash Bros, they might be willing to donate to that instead.
yes this
also downvotes if on reddit, it seems to be working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom