• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee and Brawl @ TFNS Downtown Toronto

Dice01

Smash Rookie
Im sorry guys it was a typo I meant to say the 14th :s

you mean the 17th of august, the TUESDAY?!? O.o

Also, if you can host casuals, why not just do a tourney, $5 venue, $10 entry fee for singles & doubles. That way Toronto Joe can get it inb4Apex
If you guys want to run it like that then thats no problems here.

How do you decapitate something that is essentially just a head? Do you clip his wings or.... ??? I mean you could remove the limbs but then it's more of an amputation than a decapitation....

:dizzy:
yea that sounds better, its like hes a wall to get in on, i wanna just rip my hair sometimes...

Bernard: We had a ranking battle and JS won it of course.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I wouldn't suggest pissing me off right now.

On another related note, he personally asked us what dates would be good. Take it up with him.

Regarding the first date, it's also on a Tuesday, which stops a lot of us from coming.

Yes, it was a bad post, but do I have to dumb everything down for our region?
not gonna bother actually...

Tin Man

Smash Hero
who's down for a brawl tourney next weekend at this venue? 5$ venue fee, 10$ entry fee.

Edit 1: Dice, I need the hours of the venue, as well as the location

Edit 2: On the 14th, that brawl+ only tournament could happen here instead of at F1zz's venue, Gi, 5ive, what do u think?

.Marik

is a social misfit
who's down for a brawl tourney next weekend at this venue? 5$ venue fee, 10$ entry fee.

Edit 1: Dice, I need the hours of the venue, as well as the location

Edit 2: On the 14th, that brawl+ only tournament could happen here instead of at F1zz's venue, Gi, 5ive, what do u think?
Tin Man, Brawl sucks. Nobody wants to play it, except a select few that haven't converted.

Let's just wait until the actual tournament date, and host everything collectively.

not gonna bother actually...
I never meant to snap at you like that. My bad.

It's on the 14th, which is a bad date for me, and I really want to attend this tournament.

I could get personal as to what the reasons are, but I doubt anyone on the internet is interested.

.Marik

is a social misfit
the select few that want to play brawl

i think apex has something to say about that.
You think Apex is big?

Not really, in comparision to the Street Fighter tournament that recently happened.

Melee is growing bigger, and so are the communities that deal with modded versions of Brawl.

Brawl was a good game. Back in 2008 before we realized just how boring it would become.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Compared to 1,500 for Street Fighter 4?

You're the only one that advocates Brawl being hosted at tournaments.

This conversation isn't going anywhere, plus I'm posting too much again.

Let's agree to disagree.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Thank you, now please keep stuff like this to urself. Arguing over it is dumb.

Dice, location plz (guess i'll google search). Imma try and get somethin going.

edit: source = http://shoryuken.com/f248/tfns-super-street-fighter-4-grind-week-toronto-april-29-may-2-a-232146/

1444 Dupont St. Unit 15, Toronto On M6P 4H3

If you are coming by TTC you have either the option to get off and Lansdown STN and take the 47 north to Dupont and just walk 2 mins west or you can get off at Dupont STN and take the 47 going west and get off 1 stop after Lansdown.

Edit 2: How's the parking rates in the nearby area?

nvm

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, when are you guys gonna stop QQing about Street Fighter? I don't have anything against SF4 but if you're gonna diss Brawl and only talk of SF maybe you should just leave the smashboards and stay on Shoryuken..

.Marik

is a social misfit
Seriously, when are you guys gonna stop QQing about Street Fighter? I don't have anything against SF4 but if you're gonna diss Brawl and only talk of SF maybe you should just leave the smashboards and stay on Shoryuken..
For your information, I hate Street Fighter.

I don't hate Brawl, but it's terrible for competitive play.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Differing opinions doesn't necessarily mean it's an argument.

Brawl is dying because it's a bad game to play competitively.

Statistically, I have all the proof I need. The community has gotten a lot smaller, this isn't debatable.

For the members that do remain, perhaps they don't greet Brawl with the same enthusiasm.

I really don't care what members from an outside community think, why should you?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
because the outside community also matters in temrs of brawl dying. The rate 1 community gains new players could be greater then the rate at which we lose players, therefore meaningbrawl is growing, just dying here. It also depends on the ppl. Different ppl have different attitudes, and maybe the personalities o the ppl here also clashes with the interests of brawl but may support brawl in other areas.

Edit: Dice, reply to my PM

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
For what it's worth I still like Brawl =(

I was even one of the people who very nearly quit for the exact same reasons most people who hate Brawl hate it for. Then I analyzed my own perspective of the game and realized that I was bad, that I didn't understand how the game is actually supposed to be played, that all the other people who think the game is bad for these reasons also don't understand how the game is supposed to be played and that anyone who loses to these supposedly boring tactics is just another bad player who doesn't properly understand the game so it's easy to thwart them with basic camping strategies. These people are the same people who will try to play Melee because they think being able to combo makes them good or something when in reality it just makes them able to play and what makes people actually good at melee is the exact same thing that makes people good at Brawl (or any other game for that matter) - the ability to read your opponents movements and patterns and punish them for it. You just punish harder in Melee because of combos, that doesn't mean it's an inherently better game.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
For what it's worth I still like Brawl =(

I was even one of the people who very nearly quit for the exact same reasons most people who hate Brawl hate it for. Then I analyzed my own perspective of the game and realized that I was bad, that I didn't understand how the game is actually supposed to be played, that all the other people who think the game is bad for these reasons also don't understand how the game is supposed to be played and that anyone who loses to these supposedly boring tactics is just another bad player who doesn't properly understand the game so it's easy to thwart them with basic camping strategies. These people are the same people who will try to play Melee because they think being able to combo makes them good or something when in reality it just makes them able to play and what makes people actually good at melee is the exact same thing that makes people good at Brawl (or any other game for that matter) - the ability to read your opponents movements and patterns and punish them for it. You just punish harder in Melee because of combos, that doesn't mean it's an inherently better game.
the difference is, it actually takes serious skill to do well and win money in melee

i dont even play melee but it cant be compared to brawl, watching people play melee is actually entertaining. i think its great to see all the moves people put out. and when i watch melee players play, i can actually see that they are enjoying the game, theyre actually having fun themselves.

brawl? when i watch people play half the time nobodys enjoying it. i cant even be fucked to watch the grand finals, its all the same stupid shit.

Either two MKs BBBBBB, throw in some random aerials, with the occasional upB or dsmash, or snakes just tossing nades and utilting when % is right.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
the difference is, it actually takes serious skill to do well and win money in melee

i dont even play melee but it cant be compared to brawl, watching people play melee is actually entertaining. i think its great to see all the moves people put out. and when i watch melee players play, i can actually see that they are enjoying the game, theyre actually having fun themselves.
I have fun when i play brawl

brawl? when i watch people play half the time nobodys enjoying it. i cant even be fucked to watch the grand finals, its all the same stupid shit.

Either two MKs BBBBBB, throw in some random aerials, with the occasional upB or dsmash, or snakes just tossing nades and utilting when % is right.[/QUOTE]

the tiers exist in melee also and u can see the same ppl there in GF's, sorry our 2 best players are at a level where they will always make it to GF's

(basically saying all ur issues are personal)

Cruxis

Smash Lord
I have fun when i play brawl

Either two MKs BBBBBB, throw in some random aerials, with the occasional upB or dsmash, or snakes just tossing nades and utilting when % is right.
the tiers exist in melee also and u can see the same ppl there in GF's, sorry our 2 best players are at a level where they will always make it to GF's

(basically saying all ur issues are personal)[/QUOTE]

Youre an exception Tin, youre one of the very, very few people here who still find some enjoyment in Brawl.
Majority of the community that used to love Brawl now either plays only for money, or cant stand the game, or agrees that the game is stupid but plays anyway.
and there really is no denying this.

And it makes sense since you joined the scene later than we did. But give it some time, youll realize how much of a stupid game it is.

Even if in Melee it's usually Fox/Falco/Marth or another Top Tier in the Finals, Melee GFs are WAY more intense than Brawl GF. It's like I said, Brawl GF its always the same shit. every time.
I and many others feel like falling the fuck asleep while watching Brawl GFs, why? Because someone will always, always resort to planking, air planking, camping, etc. its fucking boring to watch, but when I watch people playing a serious match in Melee i love it - and i dont even play melee.

but im not gonna bother with this discussion anymore so jusssst forget it plz

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Only on smashboards can such a thread begin turning into an argument of Melee vs. Brawl.

I prefer Smash 64 Melee but enjoy Brawl very much, except the MK matchup where my best bet is planking him when I'm up a stock. I even like the Falco matchup, considered by most of us Ganons to be our worst matchup.

Anyways, how regularly we gonna be able to have these tourneys? Every couple of months?

Gichan

Smash Champion
every month or two is perfect. Don't announce them as monthlies because it seems to decrease attendance. When the scene doesn't know when the next tourney is, they get hyped.

nickcam

Smash Ace
Just a warning tinman i wouldnt advise going to this. Might be a bad idea since the whole sf4 community will know that you ruined a tourney for them

Dice01

Smash Rookie
Yea me and Mika will announce them when we get our dates settled. And yes i to believe in the surprise factor being more hype aswell.

And no dont worry about the SF4 community, I run the tournaments there, I got em all under control so please dont fear us we know it was unintentional. Were a little more mature than that now give us credit :) .

Gichan

Smash Champion
no dice, he is referring to someone else. I'm taco. I'm there this friday and if anyone got a problem with me I'll be outside.

Phatboy17

Smash Rookie
Alex I think we're going to make our Melee biweeklies coincide with the TFNS fight night scehdule. Right now TFNS and Melee nights are alternating back and forth.

Did something happen this weekend at Lansdowne?

(if so who won SF?)
Have there been any smashturbations since the one in July?
I keep checking the Canada Regional Zone Area, but there's nothing there.

Top Bottom