• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic = THE perfect 3rd party trifecta (PAC-MAN CONFIRMED THE DREAM IS REAL!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Namco, Sega and Capcom on the Nintendo. Where have I seen this before

Oddly enough said characters don't appear in the game. Closest we got is Mega Man X.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Megaman still gets games, but I'd hardly call the modern franchise "influential". The average person has never heard of Megaman ZX Spectrum 4 or whatever those games are called now. Even Capcom doesn't care about Megaman anymore. Pac-Man is bigger and will always be bigger than pretty much every SSB4 contender besides Mario himself and maybe Pikachu.

Pac-Man gets new games too! The relatively recent Pac-Man Championship Edition and its DX followup are the best Pac-Man games so far, even better than the original and Ms Pac-Man.
The average person doesn't even know that Pac-Man has games aside from the old Arcade ones either. lol

Angry birds.....yep. Not touching that argument with a ten foot poll.
What, would you prefer I try to compare Pac-Man to Xenoblade Chronicles?

Cause he doesn't have nearly enough depth or appeal to match up to anything from that game. XD

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Pac-man really wouldn't have a diffucult skill set. Considering they are making that new Pac-man game. Then the one showed above Pac-Time and there was Packman2 The new Adventures(Genesis and Snes) which they could base his moveset around. I was also gonna say Pac-man World games but it seems like those were only on playstation. But I could be wrong its been a long time since I've played a Pac-man game.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
His age is irrelevant. There's still no substance to him or his games.

Besides, I don't dislike Pac-Man at all. I simply don't see him as a character or anything interesting with any kind of depth. Basically, there isn't anything to "like" about him or to be appealed by him with, as HeroMystic said.

Just cause he's old doesn't mean he gets special privileges or a "get-in-free" card, nor does it automatically make him excited, as only a very mall group of hardcore retro fans will be happy for his inclusion while realistically, the other responses will range from "Meh" to "Uh, ok?" to "Why?" to "No."
Not a single thing in this post is factual. All opinionated and subjective. Nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise.

Please... just stop.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Namco, Sega and Capcom on the Nintendo. Where have I seen this before

Oddly enough said characters don't appear in the game. Closest we got is Mega Man X.
And yet the Namco character majority of people requested for this game was Klonoa.

Not Pac-Man, but Klonoa. (Granted he still didn't make it in. Not that I expected as much since not even Sonic or Mario were in it. Happy for X, though.)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
@above: Design doesn't matter. 2D or 3D Pacman is still Pacman.
Particular incarnations absolutely do matter when you're arguing for a character's inclusion based on their iconic status. Like I said, I won't be miffed if Pac-Man gets in, but you have to admit that 3D Pac-Man is absolutely nowhere near as iconic as 2D Pac-Man, unlike Mario, Mega Man or Sonic, who are all either iconic in 3D as well or have 3D models for Smash that bear a very close resemblance to their original 2D forms.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Alright. I'm tired of people trying to use the original Pac-Man as an excuse. So i am making a moveset for limbless Pac-Man.

And yet the Namco character majority of people requested for this game was Klonoa.

Not Pac-Man, but Klonoa. (Granted he still didn't make it in. Not that I expected as much since not even Sonic or Mario were in it. Happy for X, though.)
Because Klonoa was used in the Namco X Capcom game. So they wanted Klonoa to return for the sequel. (Project X Zone)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Alright. I'm tired of people trying to use the original Pac-Man as an excuse. So i am making a moveset for limbless Pac-Man.
Honestly, I'd love to see original Pac-Man be the one we get. I have no idea how they would do it, but if they pulled it off it would be incredible.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Alright. I'm tired of people trying to use the original Pac-Man as an excuse. So i am making a moveset for limbless Pac-Man.)
NOW we're makin' progress. Good luck with that, buddy. :3

Let us know how well it goes. Get chance and luck.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'd love to see original Pac-Man be the one we get. I have no idea how they would do it, but if they pulled it off it would be incredible.
Theres actually a lot to use for limbless Pac-Man. Plus the fact that he's a ball helps him be more unique in the way that he will have super ball style moves.

So Pac-Man is pretty much prepared for anything when it comes to movesets.

NOW we're makin' progress. Good luck with that, buddy. :3

Let us know how well it goes. Get chance and luck.
Thanks. I actually have a small bit of it done on the main Pac-Man thread. I might change a lot of what i've done so far though.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
just realized that all four characters had kart-racing spinoff games.... so this is now a must.

They might have all had sports games, but I'm honestly not sure if Pac-man was in one, and Google is useless because of all the people nicknamed "pacman"... oh well.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
just realized that all four characters had kart-racing spinoff games.... so this is now a must.

They might have all had sports games, but I'm honestly not sure if Pac-man was in one, and Google is useless because of all the people nicknamed "pacman"... oh well.
Waitwaitwait

Megaman has been in a sports game? Am I forgetting something here?

Arteen

Smash Lord
The average person doesn't even know that Pac-Man has games aside from the old Arcade ones either. lol
Exactly, just like Megaman! Their iconic games are both decades old, and both franchises still get new releases.

You can argue that he's boring, or wouldn't bring as much to SSB as other characters would, or that he doesn't have "Nintendo roots" like Megaman, but you can't argue his importance or relevance to video game history.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Also, what influence do the Ice Climbers have nowadays? ROB? G&W?
They're Nintendo characters. And this is a game about Nintendo's all-stars and Nintendo's history. They don't need to be icons of all gaming. You shouldn't be comparing Pac-Man to any Nintendo characters really, because the standards for 3rd party and Nintendo characters are not the same. Pac-Man is way more famous and influential than Ike and Falco, but obviously they make the cut long before Pac-Man.

That's the thing the people don't seem to get. Pac-Man is famous, yes. But is he Nintendo?

The question you shouldn't be asking is whether Pac-Man is a gaming icon. Because he clearly is. The question you should be asking is "does he belong in a crossover all about Nintendo?"

Given that he's not owned by Nintendo, are his history and associations and interaction with Nintendo important enough to make him plausible as a Nintendo all-star?
You can argue that he's boring, or wouldn't bring as much to SSB as other characters would, or that he doesn't have "Nintendo roots" like Megaman, but you can't argue his importance or relevance to video game history.
Well, yeah.

But you know, like I said, this is a game about Nintendo, not a game about video game history. If this were the equivalent of Project X Zone where it's explicitly a crossover between Nintendo, Sega, Capcom and Namco I would say that absolutely the first characters included should be Mario, Pac-Man, Sonic and Mega Man.

But it's not a video game developer crossover game, it's a Nintendo crossover game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ah, how I remember passing that game in the video game aisle at my Blockbuster.

Never rented it though, because I didn't get into Mega Man until high school.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Particular incarnations absolutely do matter when you're arguing for a character's inclusion based on their iconic status. Like I said, I won't be miffed if Pac-Man gets in, but you have to admit that 3D Pac-Man is absolutely nowhere near as iconic as 2D Pac-Man, unlike Mario, Mega Man or Sonic, who are all either iconic in 3D as well or have 3D models for Smash that bear a very close resemblance to their original 2D forms.
But here's the thing... Pacman's 3D form is iconic as well.

Check out his design on the side of this classic Pacman arcade machine:

Looks pretty close to the 3D Pacman we have now, so it's not like his 3D look strictly belongs to the modern era of his games. It's how he's always looked. The 2D version most are used to is only a result of the graphical limitations back in the day.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Pac-Man always had arms and feet. The game just didn't show it but all the designs, etc. had them.

Also what racing game was Megaman in?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Personally I just think that Mega Man is the perfect 3rd party since he's been the most dedicated 3rd party character to Nintendo, and Sonic is great for the novelty of Nintendo's past rivalry with Sega. I personally prefer Snake over Pac-Man, because while Pac-Man has a legendary status he doesn't have any outstanding history with Nintendo, neither as a rival or a great exclusive supporter. Snake on the other hand is just such a weird choice that I can't help but love him being in, especially in how unique he plays, and he also shows the bond of two video game creators' friendship, plus he opened the flood gates. To me Snake, Sonic and Mega Man is the perfect trifecta.

However, if I were to choose only one I'd choose Mega Man.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
You guys saying spacies have original movesets must not know that every special move they have is a function of an Arwing in Star Fox 64.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I see that some people have mentioned Project X Zone. I admit that having Sega, Capcom and Namco Bandai's most known characters in SSB after their absence in a Nintendo-exclusive Sega-Capcom-Namco Bandai crossover would be interesting...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
But here's the thing... Pacman's 3D form is iconic as well.

Check out his design on the side of this classic Pacman arcade machine:

Looks pretty close to the 3D Pacman we have now, so it's not like his 3D look strictly belongs to the modern era of his games.
That is true. It could still be said to be reflecting his design from from the arcade, in a way (of course, if his moves are all from Pac-Man World it's going to seem more like he's representing Pac-Man World).
It's how he's always looked. The 2D version most are used to is only a result of the graphical limitations back in the day.
Ummmmm but yeah, then you overreached.

The creator himself says that the inspiration was a pizza with a slice missing, and the Japanese word kuchi くち (meaning mouth). The original idea was to have a pizza going around. Then the simpler yellow color scheme came since it was easier to represent. Even the in-game "cutscenes" still feature the simple pie piece, even though Pac-Man is depicted larger and could've had more elaborate graphics. Then they added the artwork to go on the arcade machines (and give him more personality). But of course, that artwork had to match the in-game graphics to an extent. Hence the design we see. That artwork became the basis of his 3-D models.

But the 2-D version came first, and the 3-D version is also a result of the graphical limitations of the day.

Even if we didn't know the story from Iwatani, I think it's pretty hard to imagine that he came up with that drawing first, and then simplified it because of graphical limitations.

But the point still stands that the 3-D Pac-Man is based off artwork that was around from the beginning.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
They're Nintendo characters. And this is a game about Nintendo's all-stars and Nintendo's history. They don't need to be icons of all gaming. You shouldn't be comparing Pac-Man to any Nintendo characters really, because the standards for 3rd party and Nintendo characters are not the same. Pac-Man is way more famous and influential than Ike and Falco, but obviously they make the cut long before Pac-Man.

That's the thing the people don't seem to get. Pac-Man is famous, yes. But is he Nintendo?

The question you shouldn't be asking is whether Pac-Man is a gaming icon. Because he clearly is. The question you should be asking is "does he belong in a crossover all about Nintendo?"

Given that he's not owned by Nintendo, are his history and associations and interaction with Nintendo important enough to make him plausible as a Nintendo all-star?
They're Nintendo characters. And this is a game about Nintendo's all-stars and Nintendo's history. They don't need to be icons of all gaming. You shouldn't be comparing Sonic to any Nintendo characters really, because the standards for 3rd party and Nintendo characters are not the same. Sonic is way more famous and influential than G&W and Falco, but obviously they make the cut long before Sonic.

That's the thing the people don't seem to get. Sonic is famous, yes. But is he Nintendo?

The question you shouldn't be asking is whether Sonic is a gaming icon. Because he clearly is. The question you should be asking is "does he belong in a crossover all about Nintendo?"

Arteen

Smash Lord
Then again, Snake did get in Brawl, despite very tenuous links to Nintendo.

Personally, I don't think Snake should have been in Brawl and I don't think Pac-Man has enough Nintendo history to warrant his inclusion in SSB4, but it's all up to Sakurai.

Morbi

Scavenger
Replace Pacman with Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia and I fully agree. Or just take out Pacman in general.

Sorry, but considering how little value Pacman has in modern gaming compared to Sonic and even Mega (despite lack of love from Capcom), there's nothing even slightly interesting or hype worthy about him to have me want him at all.
I don't really think Lloyd Irving has any value in modern gaming either... or Ice Climbers.... or G&W.... or R.O.B... yeah. I don't see your point.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That is true. It could still be said to be reflecting his design from from the arcade, in a way (of course, if his moves are all from Pac-Man World it's going to seem more like he's representing Pac-Man World).
Ummmmm but yeah, then you overreached.

The creator himself says that the inspiration was a pizza with a slice missing, and the Japanese word kuchi くち (meaning mouth). The original idea was to have a pizza going around. Then the simpler yellow color scheme came since it was easier to represent. Even the in-game "cutscenes" still feature the simple pie piece, even though Pac-Man is depicted larger and could've had more elaborate graphics. Then they added the artwork to go on the arcade machines (and give him more personality). But of course, that artwork had to match the in-game graphics to an extent. Hence the design we see. That artwork became the basis of his 3-D models.

But the 2-D version came first, and the 3-D version is also a result of the graphical limitations of the day.

Even if we didn't know the story from Iwatani, I think it's pretty hard to imagine that he came up with that drawing first, and then simplified it because of graphical limitations.

But the point still stands that the 3-D Pac-Man is based off artwork that was around from the beginning.
Very informative post. My argument still stands though: 3D Pacman isnt solely exclusive to his modern day games. His design has been around since the older days.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Konami deserved a character, we just got the wrong one. It should have been Simon Belmont over Snake.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Well, the IDEA of Pac-Man being included in SSB4 MUST have been tossed in the air at least ONCE during the production/process of character selection of SSB4 (Heck, Sakurai has been interviewed countless times on Pac-Man's possible inclusion).

It is just up to Sakurai to decide. I mean, although Namco-Bandai is helping make the game don't forget that they are being payed as well. They aren't doing it out of their own free will. I think that is why "Namco-Bandai characters have no priority as 3rd party characters"

Brawl had two third-party characters (:snake: and :sonic:). I don't see why SSB4 will have any number less than 2.

And if I had to guess which OTHER third party character gets in besides Mega Man, Sonic, and Snake (Which I hope Sonic and Snake make a return)...

I'd just throw in Pac-Man because I have no idea who could possibly stir up as much excitement for the conclusion in a game like Smash Bros. following Mega Man's appearance.

Those are just my 2 cents.

kthxbai. :3

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They're Nintendo characters. And this is a game about Nintendo's all-stars and Nintendo's history. They don't need to be icons of all gaming. You shouldn't be comparing Sonic to any Nintendo characters really, because the standards for 3rd party and Nintendo characters are not the same. Sonic is way more famous and influential than G&W and Falco, but obviously they make the cut long before Sonic.

That's the thing the people don't seem to get. Sonic is famous, yes. But is he Nintendo?

The question you shouldn't be asking is whether Sonic is a gaming icon. Because he clearly is. The question you should be asking is "does he belong in a crossover all about Nintendo?"

You pretty much just proved his point with that post. Sonic belongs in a crossover all about Nintendo because he used to be Nintendo's biggest rival, he has much history with Nintendo, despite being a Sega character. Snake is the one who wouldn't fit into that criteria really, and even then he has other reasons to stay in.

There are many things to take into consideration about 3rd parties, whether the character fits and belongs in a Nintendo all-stars game is only one of the things.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
You pretty much just proved his point with that post. Sonic belongs in a crossover all about Nintendo because he used to be Nintendo's biggest rival, he has much history with Nintendo, despite being a Sega character. Snake is the one who wouldn't fit into that criteria really, and even then he has other reasons to stay in.

There are many things to take into consideration about 3rd parties, whether the character fits and belongs in a Nintendo all-stars game is only one of the things.
Sonic has largely negative history with Nintendo. One could easily argue Pac-Man is more deserving than Sonic based on the bitter rivalry between Nintendo and Sega.

D

Deleted member

Mega Man and Sonic are two of the very best third-party choices Sakurai could have made. Glad to see that Mega Man is in SSB 3DS and Wii U and that Sonic at least appeared in Brawl (hopefully he makes a comeback). I also really think Snake should return simply because he worked out so well in Brawl and he was extremely popular despite him being a complete shock of an addition.

Not a fan of Pac-Man (outside of his arcade game) nor do I feel he should get in SSB 3DS and Wii U. I would go into details, but with him being inevitable due to the leak, there's not really any point in doing so. Whenever or not Pac-Man ends up being a worthwhile addition depends if he makes a near perfect translation to Smash. If Pac-Man ends up feeling "forced" in, then he'll end up being one of the worst received characters and he won't have the incredible demand Sonic got to save him.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Konami deserved a character, we just got the wrong one. It should have been Simon Belmont over Snake.
Agreed. Simon is more iconic to Nintendo than Snake. :l
Also, I'm pretty sure that if Pacman gets in, it will be his Pacman World design instead of the new one.

Morbi

Scavenger
Agreed. Simon is more iconic to Nintendo than Snake. :l
Also, I'm pretty sure that if Pacman gets in, it will be his Pacman World design instead of the new one.
The thing is that these are 3rd party characters. They do NOT need to have history with Nintendo to get in. Sonic was supposed to be the only one in the game. Snake was just a request from a friend as far as I am aware. I wouldn't be surprised if we only got two third party characters in the game. Sakurai should have never even put Sonic in. It just spoils the fans and they want whatever third party character they THINK fits in Smash. Just my 2 cents.

I was just responding to you because a 3rd party character doesn't necessarily have to have history with Nintendo. I mean come on we got Snake. Clearly it isn't one of the most important qualifications. I am pretty sure Sakurai will take it easy this time. So anybody fearing that Lloyd Irving or Simon Belmont stands a chance... you can rest easy. They don't.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sonic has largely negative history with Nintendo. One could easily argue Pac-Man is more deserving than Sonic based on the bitter rivalry between Nintendo and Sega.
The big fanbase that wanted him in, Sakurai and even Sega don't seem to think so, all the bitterness has been left behind ages ago, it's basically history now, and might aswell make the best of it, aye? It's a testament to two rivals making peace with each other, Sonic is definitely deserving just for that factor alone.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd much rather have Professor Layton over Pac-Man in my honest opinion if we go by third parties. But that's just my opinion really.... :/

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd much rather have Professor Layton over Pac-Man in my honest opinion if we go by third parties. But that's just my opinion really.... :/
Of course. I mean I would rather have a Dragon Ball Z (3rd party) character in the game in the game in my honest opinion (we might be getting Frieza fused with Superbuu... her name is Majin Mewbuu). That isn't the point of the thread though. The point of the thread is to discuss how epic it would be if these video game behemoths all went up against each other in a battle royale. There is no doubting any of their iconic statuses. They are simply known by almost everyone who has ever played a video game.

I mean I think we can all admit that it would be simply amazing to play in a free for all with these 4 characters. I know that will be one of the first things I do when I get the game. I will probably play as Mario while my sister will probably play as Sonic. My best friend will most likely play as Mega-Man. Eh... Pac-Man can be a level 9 comp or something. :awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm... I guess I just don't really have much of an attachment for characters like Pac-Man since I wasn't even born during the eighties and he seems to be the most popular during that era according to a number of people here. Though the likes of Megaman do interest me. I would still like to see Layton more though. ^^;

Which reminds me, I still need to download some of those Megaman games released for the 3DS virtual console...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom