• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Medical Records"- Dr. Mario Video/Critique Thread!

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I would like to request Critique on my Dr Mario play. Feel free to be as Critical as you need to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0HX2z8TCg
1. Stop rolling so much.
2. Stop using Smash Attacks so much.
3. Stop using Fair so much.
4. You need to run more and jump less.
5. You either forgot or didn't know that you have Down-B to recover horizontally and burnt your double jump for no reason. Use Down B and conserve your resources to get back on stage.
6. You don't seem to know how to deal with pressure. Grab more and use back air out of shield more. Smash Attacks are not that good at dealing with pressure (for most characters, not just Doc).
7. This Ness isn't great. You can cape PK Fire (which is a tool good Ness players will rarely use) or just shield and advance. He liked to press buttons a lot, so play patiently and shield/grab his stuff.
8. When you're comfortable with Doc, use Down-B to surprise people and to edgeguard. It's good at both of those.
9. A lot of your mistakes are just general ones, not stuff specific to Doc. You aren't really picking up on your opponent's habits nor are you changing yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjPUhIhe_sU

just so you know each running fair is meant to be a RAR bair lol

when i got stage spiked i, at the time of hit i was hitting up on the control stick so i thought i would go straight up but no....
The Ryu is really Yolo. Why throw out those random Smash Attacks and Focus Attacks?

You should use Tornado more. A lot more. It beats out Focus Attack if done at the right time. I mention this since your opponent was using FA more to break out of strings than to move around. You started to use it later on, so that's a good start.

You should really play more defensively. Ryu wins off of trades and punishes us harder for trying to approach. Throw out more back airs, bait him to do stuff, etc.

And DThrow to Fair only works at 109%, without rage, so I wouldn't bother attempting it on Ryu.

I understand the random Fairs from you. ****'s annoying. Wish Mario and Doc had buffed versions of Smash64 Mario's fair instead of their current ones.

Does anyone else have any feedback?

Last edited:

Roostertone

Smash Rookie
tibs7 said:
just so you know each running fair is meant to be a RAR bair lol

when i got stage spiked i, at the time of hit i was hitting up on the control stick so i thought i would go straight up but no....
I would've liked to see more edgeguarding. Doc's tornado and bair usually beat out Ryu's side b, which he pretty much has to use to recover because Ryu's air acceleration is poor. This is especially relevant since staying onstage to cover getups is usually futile against Ryu (regular getup -> true shoryu / focus attack or ledgehop fair are incredible options).

I could be wrong on this, but I believe it's also possible to use up B as an escape option out of Ryu's uptilt shenanigans, which is worth doing on occasion to make the Ryu become doubtful of his confirms.

Eight_SixtyFour said:
And DThrow to Fair only works at 109%, without rage, so I wouldn't bother attempting it on Ryu.
Not sure I agree with this. Even if it's only "guaranteed" at 109% it's still an airdodge 50/50 for a considerably larger window. If your opponent tries to jump out of it, the fair can connect even when training mode doesn't consider it a true combo, and if you know that your opponent will airdodge you can just delay the fair for a few frames.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Friendly match with Fox/Roy main here on Smashboards, @Turrin. May anyone give me some critique on my Doc play?

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Friendly match with Fox/Roy main here on Smashboards, @Turrin. May anyone give me some critique on my Doc play?
fast fall more, less random aerials and random use of downb, edgeguard (doc's edge game is disgustingly good if you know what you're doing), pill from a medium range and not so close so you dont get punished for it, and grabs. LOTS more grabs. Doc is a combo fiend and thats how he tags on his damage so quickly. good match

edit: maybe this'll help
just dont do what I did and keep trying to attack from the edge in the same way lol. mix it up more. I wasnt worried about him KOing me at all so I kept at it. and convert on more grabs (i was trying something out so he got away a few times)

Last edited:

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
Fair can't be autocanceled from a short-hop, so I'd recommend not doing that as often as you did here. D-Throw to Fair is a true combo on Fox at 70% to 101% and he is basically dead from that.

Up B is great for combos and you can do it when Fox is in the middle of a Jab.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Pacmanpow2 :4pacman: vs TEG 2manycooks :4drmario:

TEG 2manycooks :4drmario: vs Xpanti :4luigi:

TEG 2manycooks :4drmario: vs Chuky :4ness:

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
This Doc ditto.

I honestly dont see/play too many like this, and it gets better the more you get into the vid. The audio gets off a little on the Lylat match, but everything else is fine.

critiques are encouraged. I just wish I tried to UpB out of his jabs. I never react fast enough

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't know why, but they did it; 19 matches, 1 freaking hour of non-stop Dr. Mario vs. Luigi from terminalkai. Watch as different players brawl it out: https://youtu.be/mr164uYSIr4. There are timestamps in the description, so if you just want to watch or review a set, then do so.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
2ManyCooks vs Mr.E
Stop. Being predictable.

If you feel like you're getting walked out, predict when he's going to swing his sword and run up and shield. It throws off his spacing and makes him unsafe. Play a bit safer, that Up-b out of nowhere onstage could've been game 1 right there.

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
Here's a friendlies set between me and Houston's best Toon Link . Any genuine critique would be kindly appreciated .

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Here's a friendlies set between me and Houston's best Toon Link . Any genuine critique would be kindly appreciated .

I like the edgeguard at 0:57.

I will give more detailed feedback later, but I think you should use Tornado more onstage. It can throw people off really easily. You can also make your landings less predictable with it (provided you're high enough).

Last edited:

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Tell me what you think! First video I put lots of effort into so feedback is appreciated.

Red Doc ftw!

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Tell me what you think! First video I put lots of effort into so feedback is appreciated.

Red Doc ftw!
I need to allocate some time for more detailed feedback, but for now...

I like the video (excluding the SDs + the Red Doc). I checked your channel. Post the tidbits sometime.

EDIT: I liked the video, esp. the Up-B edgeguards and Up Air strings. You gotta stop with the Fairs though.

3:30 was hilarious.

Last edited:

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin

Practiced against a player during a locals friendly. Obviously there were some places I could improve in. Any tips?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace

Practiced against a player during a locals friendly. Obviously there were some places I could improve in. Any tips?
1. You don't back air enough. RAR bairs all day.
2. Your Tornadoes are too obvious. You also don't mash enough when doing them.
3. He likes to use Shield Breaker a lot. And he doesn't empty hop when approaching you. So shield his attacks and if you see shield breaker, spotdodge. Alternatively, try to get better at perfect shielding.
4. That double jump fair read was kinda balsy but you got it so good job.
5. You roll a lot. Stop it.
6. That attempted edgeguard at the end wasn't good. You wasted your double jump. If you want to try something like that, do a turnaround sheet instead. Hold back on the control stick and then side B.
7. Try to use down tilt to get grabs.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
1. You don't back air enough. RAR bairs all day.
2. Your Tornadoes are too obvious. You also don't mash enough when doing them.
3. He likes to use Shield Breaker a lot. And he doesn't empty hop when approaching you. So shield his attacks and if you see shield breaker, spotdodge. Alternatively, try to get better at perfect shielding.
4. That double jump fair read was kinda balsy but you got it so good job.
5. You roll a lot. Stop it.
6. That attempted edgeguard at the end wasn't good. You wasted your double jump. If you want to try something like that, do a turnaround sheet instead. Hold back on the control stick and then side B.
7. Try to use down tilt to get grabs.
Thanks for the tips, but there's some things I have questions about here.

1. I don't really understand if I'm doing RAR bairs properly at all when I'm practicing them. From what I've read it's just a dash into a turnaround, jump, then bair. My inputs look like this:

:GCR::GCL::GCX::GCCR: Is this right?

2. Don't really understand how to make them not obvious.
7. How do I do this? Just crouch out of a dash?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips, but there's some things I have questions about here.

1. I don't really understand if I'm doing RAR bairs properly at all when I'm practicing them. From what I've read it's just a dash into a turnaround, jump, then bair. My inputs look like this:

:GCR::GCL::GCX::GCCR: Is this right?

2. Don't really understand how to make them not obvious.
7. How do I do this? Just crouch out of a dash?
1. Yeah, that's right. Just gotta get the timing for inputting each command. If you do it too quickly, your back command doesn't get registered and you get a forward air. Or in the case of up air, doing the up command too quickly will result in a Jump Cancelled Up Smash.
2. For example, when you tried to edgeguard him at the beginning, you jumped and then used Tornado. Your opponent has a lot of time to react to that. Instead, run off and then Down-B when they are closer to the stage. Alternatively, bait them into thinking that you are going to Down-B and then hit them with an attack, use sheet, etc.
3. That was kind of a half-assed tip on my part. I meant just use Down Tilt to space since it goes pretty far. If you hit someone with it, try to grab them.

Top Bottom