• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Medical Records"- Dr. Mario Video/Critique Thread!

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Last edited:

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll post a video of my own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pBod0IwcuY

Me(Black Doc) and my friend(Green Doc) are both doc mains, so any advise for either of us would be great!
Hmm... it's a bit hard to analyze your Mario off just one video, but for you, I would try more bair approaches when going in from the air. Your reads and smashes were on point, so keep doing that. I assume that last recovery was just a bit off bad luck, but if you're looking at a mostly horizontal recovery, don't be afraid to nado before you double jump, especially if you are against a character that isn't gonna challenge you off stage like another doc. I also wouldn't overextend with the utilts (we aren't Mario). I usually cap it at two and follow up with a uair or a usmash (either usually trades) or if they go for a dodge, try and grab. Other than that, you play was really solid.

As for your friend, I noticed more than anything he used the sheet a lot more than was useful. I don't know if he was going for a read he never got, but a lot of the non-projectile applications of the cape really only work when the opponent doesn't expect it, so I'd tell him to try and mix it up a bit more (an opportunistic opponent is gonna be able to capitalize on it fairly easily if they see it coming). I'd also avoid nadoing onto the stage while recovering as opposed to the ledge, especially against someone who'll be able to punish pretty hard with a single hit (e.g. another doc). Granted, if you mix it up, it can surprise them now and then, but it can be a risky option that didn't really have a payoff in that situation (after all, if you were gonna go after him, you'd be worse off contending with the nado offstage, risking a stage spike on Smashville).

All in all, though, solid play from both players. If I had a suggestion for both players, it would be to let the opponent come to you a bit more. Don't be afraid to play a bit more defensively, or rather, to focus more on counterattacking than straight-up attacking.

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
Hmm... it's a bit hard to analyze your Mario off just one video, but for you, I would try more bair approaches when going in from the air. Your reads and smashes were on point, so keep doing that. I assume that last recovery was just a bit off bad luck, but if you're looking at a mostly horizontal recovery, don't be afraid to nado before you double jump, especially if you are against a character that isn't gonna challenge you off stage like another doc. I also wouldn't overextend with the utilts (we aren't Mario). I usually cap it at two and follow up with a uair or a usmash (either usually trades) or if they go for a dodge, try and grab. Other than that, you play was really solid.

As for your friend, I noticed more than anything he used the sheet a lot more than was useful. I don't know if he was going for a read he never got, but a lot of the non-projectile applications of the cape really only work when the opponent doesn't expect it, so I'd tell him to try and mix it up a bit more (an opportunistic opponent is gonna be able to capitalize on it fairly easily if they see it coming). I'd also avoid nadoing onto the stage while recovering as opposed to the ledge, especially against someone who'll be able to punish pretty hard with a single hit (e.g. another doc). Granted, if you mix it up, it can surprise them now and then, but it can be a risky option that didn't really have a payoff in that situation (after all, if you were gonna go after him, you'd be worse off contending with the nado offstage, risking a stage spike on Smashville).

All in all, though, solid play from both players. If I had a suggestion for both players, it would be to let the opponent come to you a bit more. Don't be afraid to play a bit more defensively, or rather, to focus more on counterattacking than straight-up attacking.
Thanks for the advise! I'll try to add this to my doc play. I'll also tell my friend this advise. Hopefully, we'll both improve our doc play.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
So, I have a replay for you all to critique. I have several others, but I just felt like uploading one for the time being. Pardon the quality, I blame Youtube.
I noticed you kind of jumped in there quite a bit without proper spacing, so definitely be more mindful of your range (and more importantly, your enemies). Alternatively, try and psych them out with, for example, singlejump, mashed nado into Up+B (mix it up of course, but I can't tell you how many times this has worked for me. I also would not use the SJP out of nowhere. Do it out of shield, as an approach mix-up, defensively, or to finish a combo. Other situations can apply too, but it's punishability is matched by it's frame data. Honestly, His smashes are better kill moves and aren't all that much slower, so try for more of those on the ground (especial Usmash and Dsmash against rollers). Also, since I see you using the jab combo a lot, try to learn to sub in Up+B (especially reversing it) for the 3rd jab.

Honestly, with Doc, it's a matter of knowing when to approach your opponent and when to let them approach you. Doc may have good frame data, but like anyone else, if you just toss out moves, you're gonna get punished. On the other hand, if your opponent gets really aggressive, you don't need to engage. DI out if possible and find a way to engage on your own terms (Doc's hits are really meaty, so it shouldn't be too hard to catch up). Dr. Mario is a lot more cerebral than Mario, so trying to think a few moves ahead of you opponent is critical. Never be predictable (or if you are and realize on it, capitalize on it. If you've been Up+Bing OoS 9 times, go for a grab on the 10th).

That said, you didn't do that poorly. Focus less on going for the kill and racking up damage and more on just outplaying your opponent (by that I mean outspacing, punishing, disengaging when they have a good rhythm going, etc.)

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, is it acceptable to paste Twitch VODs with timestamps? I have a few videos I'd like to post for analysis but the organizer still hasn't uploaded to youtube.

Last edited:

MaddDecent

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrashingSt0rm
3DS FC
4871-4027-4131
Alright everybody, I've been playing sm4sh since it came out and have worked with almost all of the cast and recently decided I wanted to co-main Doc. I want to mention sm4sh is the first smash game that I've gotten competitive with, so I'd say my skill is so-so with the game. So if you have any critiques on my personal playstyle, let me know in a reply. These are seven FG vids I played on my first day with the character.

VS :4marth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Iyf5vJ9Cc
VS :4greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OURKe_vsYs4
VS :4mewtwo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mkBDZkYd0
VS :4mewtwo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DGTm1amrPo
VS :4lucario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZNGrlxoPM
VS :4gaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jNdt-dswQ
VS :4greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ulnUhkrhw

All critiques are wanted!
-MaddDecent

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Alright everybody, I've been playing sm4sh since it came out and have worked with almost all of the cast and recently decided I wanted to co-main Doc. I want to mention sm4sh is the first smash game that I've gotten competitive with, so I'd say my skill is so-so with the game. So if you have any critiques on my personal playstyle, let me know in a reply. These are seven FG vids I played on my first day with the character.

VS :4marth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Iyf5vJ9Cc
VS :4greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OURKe_vsYs4
VS :4mewtwo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mkBDZkYd0
VS :4mewtwo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DGTm1amrPo
VS :4lucario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZNGrlxoPM
VS :4gaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jNdt-dswQ
VS :4greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ulnUhkrhw

All critiques are wanted!
-MaddDecent
1. Your decision making is iffy and your knowledge of Doc isn't there. You need to pick up on your opponents' habits (are they rolling too much, are they using the same move over and over again) and react.

2. You keep throwing attack Smash Attacks hoping to get a hit or a punish. Stop Down Smashing out of Shield. Grab them, jump and neutral air, or Up-B. Stop using Forward Smashes. It's not the fastest attack Doc has.

3. You do not use your Down-B to recover or to do anything. Study this move more and it will help you in the long run. It leaves you open if it's blocked, but it beats a lot of moves, kills early on the side and aids in recovery.

4. You play too passively when you do not need to (e.g. why are you throwing pills against G&W when he's trying to (unsuccessfully) absorb your pills? Go for a grab or Up-B)

5. You do not use Up-B to punish anything (stop trying to Down Smash out of shield). It's one of Doc's fastest attacks, works out of shield and hits hard.

The first match against Marth was probably your best match. You were still playing passively and not punishing well, but you were going for grabs. Don't throw out slow attacks, be less passive, move more, work on your punishes, and watch what your opponent is doing.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Surprised these vids haven't been posted. Rice is so damn good, even as a team player.

Customs are allowed AND on btw. Don't think Doc is that much better because of them though I still can't get over how silly Down-B 2 can be.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
So, did anyone know that Dr. Mario has his own Hoo Ha? Down throw and up midair attack?

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Yep :ohwell:

Not as rewarding but still a good combo at most percentages on most characters.
Not just him either, but it's very noticeable with him. I dare say that it's more effective than Diddy's now, and I play with the doc a lot to say that.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I know this is older but holy sh*t.
I feel like it's Important to notice that he was rarely higher than a full jump, he kept going back to the floor to keep up combos.
Also, on the combo compilation video, most of his opponents were not DI-ing. If I get an opponent that doesn't DI, I can't string some amazing stuff as well. The rest of the time it's hit or miss (literally).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Very quickly...you space aerials pretty well, but you need to Jab, D-tilt, and Grab more in neutral. D-tilt more ESPECIALLY against Luigi, as it's one of your best moves for stopping incoming dashgrabs. Vs Puff, Jab cancel Up-B is really stupidly good when you need to confirm kills.

Also you should mix up your landing with B reverses more. When zoning, it's especially helpful to B reverse Pills to bait.

Last edited:

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman

ChaosDanny

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroG1259
Hi guys! Currently only have one replay of my Doc play. Really want a critique to improve on him! Hope I can get some results soon!

ChaosDanny

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroG1259
Sorry for the horrible quality. Recorded this on my phone :(. Trying to save up for a capture card and PC.

ChaosDanny

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroG1259
I feel like now this is just a place where we post replays of people's and our Doc plays.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I feel like now this is just a place where we post replays of people's and our Doc plays.
That's kind of what the thread title implies it's supposed to be. Should be very active once they implement the YouTube upload feature in Smash 4 next month.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Found some videos of this Doc player. I don't know if he mains Doc but I think he's pretty good.

He does main Dr. Mario. I've actually played him before a couple months ago.
Main problems:
To offensive. Could've used more spacing with pills and shield.
Rolled too much.
Not enough mix ups.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Agreed. I like the usage of Dr. Tornado. I'm beginning to see why it is arguably his best move, even more so than Up-B. I'd definitely put it in the upper echelon of default specials.

More footage of Atomsk repping Doc (non-customs). No particular order.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. New to the Doc boards, but I've been playing him for a while now, and recently started getting serious with him. I have other replays, but I'll upload them later. All criticism is welcomed and encouraged. :)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Hey all. New to the Doc boards, but I've been playing him for a while now, and recently started getting serious with him. I have other replays, but I'll upload them later. All criticism is welcomed and encouraged. :)

Few things that stand out.

1. You keep missing Down Throw to Up Air. Maybe it's the input delay. Otherwise, that shouldn't be happening unless you're playing against a floaty character like Jigglypuff. Practice the timing for it. At lower percents, you can get Down Throw into Up-Tilt.

2. You throw out a lot of Down Smashes, charged ones as well. Do less of this.

3. The few times you used Dr. Tornado, you did it very close to the ground, whilst Mario was waiting to punish you. Use it to stall or if you think the opponent will attack at that moment.

4. Maybe Up-B OOS more? Punishing Mario's moves is much easier with Up-B due to its' speed and large sweetspot hitbox.

5. Bair spacing seems to be ok. Keep it up.

6. Edgeguard more. Maybe reverse Up-Air, Tornado, etc. I saw you went for the reverse Up-B but couldn't land it.

Other more experienced Doc players might give you better advice.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS

Been getting some nice strings/combos down on a few of the cast now, but this is the first 0%-to-death. Roy just gets demolished by Doc the worst out of all of em so far.

Just a couple for now. Thoughts?

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice

Been getting some nice strings/combos down on a few of the cast now, but this is the first 0%-to-death. Roy just gets demolished by Doc the worst out of all of em so far.

Just a couple for now. Thoughts?
You disrespected Roy so hard in those videos. He should sue you for medical malpractice.

Hahaha, those were some sick strings, man. Those are the levels I'm trying to get on with Doc, but it's kinda hard being on 3DS. I need to invest in a Wii U so I can play better.

Top Bottom