• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I just picked up D3 I have an excuse <_< I just needed substantial evidence on my own and Metaknight **** on my D3 this weekend lol

Adept69

Smash Cadet
Does anybody know how you are supposed to play this matchup with tap jump on?
(MK dair camping+Nados) :(

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I honestly dont think tap jump would effect you too badly would it?

It's more about reacting to what he does. I have yet to play against a decent MK
But I love challenges.

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
Try to tilt your shield upwards without jumping with tap on to see how badly it affects you. Not fun getting hit by a poking nado on your head when you know you could have shielded it to the end.

Anyway, it's not that big of a disadvantage, but the matchup is already hard, so anything that helps is a plus. I've played without tap jump since I can remember, and I don't think there are enough advantages to using it with DDD so I never thought much about it, but you should try not using it to know if it's better for you or not.

ODST01

Smash Rookie
I just hate going up against MK s because they spam nado and it ll always hit ddd because hes a big target.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Last time I went to a tournament, Cbeef told me right before I went up against DSF that when I get the grab, I should downthrow, and then walk up and do a random downsmash "like the good old 2008 days". This scored me 2 kills on DSF in our set. However, I even took this a step further. Without realizing it, Cbeef gave me the best advice he could ever give me for the matchup, "like the good old 2008 days."
I popped out my iphone and looked up some old school Aero vs DSF and Teba vs DSF videos and realized quickly that the archaic playstyle is... kind of solid lol. Best set I've ever had with DSF. If I start going to tournaments more often maybe I can play around with it some more.
Don't get me wrong though I still think it's impossible XD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
your not the only one to mention that, theres certain chars style 08 works for[X=sonic, nick=zss]

maybe we should analyze the old play style abit for some answers

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I didn't play a 2008 style to beat X when I played him.. I disagree. That matchup is pretty annoying though in general haha. I'm going to try to play an all Teba/Aero style tournament next time I go down to LA. Let's see how I do!

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
always keep your mind open to different options, even if they seem like they're old

always

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Last time I went to a tournament, Cbeef told me right before I went up against DSF that when I get the grab, I should downthrow, and then walk up and do a random downsmash "like the good old 2008 days". This scored me 2 kills on DSF in our set. However, I even took this a step further. Without realizing it, Cbeef gave me the best advice he could ever give me for the matchup, "like the good old 2008 days."
I popped out my iphone and looked up some old school Aero vs DSF and Teba vs DSF videos and realized quickly that the archaic playstyle is... kind of solid lol. Best set I've ever had with DSF. If I start going to tournaments more often maybe I can play around with it some more.
Don't get me wrong though I still think it's impossible XD
I know right? These were all the best times you listed.. for sure. But dude.. we've moved on passed this matchup haven't we? hahah

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
nah daw im free still vs mk cbeef

n> help, what kind? psh idk, once he starts getting inside i feel pretty helpless

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Is this MU really something you can feasibly practice enough to use D3 on dependably at tournaments, against good MKs, or is it always going to be a really desperate fight? I've beaten my head against a wall practicing it for a long time. I can beat many MKs as D3 without sweating too much, but where I run into trouble is when I play against a MK who knows how to keep his cool and always choose only options that are 100% safe, no matter how much patience or repetition that requires on his part. And by "safe" I don't just mean "campy," although that's part of it. I mean someone who, e.g., is buffering nearly every move, planning one step ahead to never give you the space and time to get an attack in as they go in and out of your range. When I go up against that, I find the MU d*** near impossible. Dedede is just so straightforward - it's what I love most about him, but it makes it really hard for me to find viable mindgames against safe MKs.

To make what I'm talking about more concrete, I feel like this vid (CO18 vs M2k) is kind of an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xteQ8uQ1n0c

- It's like a best-case scenario of what Dedede has to offer in the MU. CO18 is a genius and is so careful, persistent, and inventive that it brings tears to my eyes, but it seems like Dedede can just only have so many tricks up his sleeve, being Dedede. I know its M2K he's up against, but it doesn't take a M2K to beat a Dedede like this. (For the record, I heard a rumor that M2K said about a year ago that he would never lose to a Dedede again, and for pretty much what I'm saying here - Dedede is just too straightforward.)

P.S.: Oh - and I sincerely hope it's no disrespect to CO18 (wherever you are) to use your footage as an example of Dedede's helplessness against MK. It's the opposite, I'm using this vid because CO18 is the best Dedede I know of; he's actually kind of my inspiration in never giving up on using D3 exclusively.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
It's not disrespectful lol

Also you should know one thing. This matchup was deemed worthless by the pros a long time ago. We all have secondaries to handle MK now. Even CO, who uses Wario/Fox. Also at MLG Dallas me, CO and Lain talked about it and we all pretty much decided on dropping him for the most part. The only other good DDDs (in the U.S.) are Coney, who lives near no MKs besides Korn, and Atomsk who goes ICs vs MK and plays like virtually every character in the game lol

With that being said, now you know your hero won't even play this matchup anymore. Will you continue on? Perhaps invent a new style of play to lure the grandfathers of DDD back to playing him?

The choice is yours, my friend.

Oh yeah,

psh idk, once he starts getting inside i feel pretty helpless
That's what she said.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If this MU is supposed to be so easy, why can't I beat Finland's Dedede >_>
LIES!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
His skill is better than mine, he knows the MU better than me and he reads people like a book D:

Well I'll see about that today or tomorrow when I play against him and I try to get some videos.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
lol this matchup.

The matchups ok on stage, it's just offstage bro. If dedede is forced to up+b HE SHOULD NOT MAKE IT BACK TO THE STAGE. If he does the mk ****ed up.

weigelct

Smash Rookie
Came on here looking to get some tips against meta knight, now convinced its ********.
Well, Pound 5 is going to be my first major tournament, and i'm going d3 all the way... Am I a masochist?

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
just dont let the mk make you think he isnt just baiting your shields over your head its like all the really legit mks do tha reverse psychology lol..

weigelct

Smash Rookie
I get this inkling suspicion that with PSCing DDD doesn't have any moves fast enough to punish the gaps between tornado hits.
*checks grab frame data*
Edit: We have a six frame grab. After watching the video above, this makes me **** bricks.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
This has a lot of potential but this isn't going to change the Metaknight MU. You should already be able to PS consistently either way since it's a vital part of the metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom