• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Q&A: Ask Specific Character Matchup Questions Here

-LzR-

Smash Hero
ICs get bodied by MK harder than Falco. Pocket ICs are really weak against MK unless you are experienced with them. You are just going to get hit, separated and 0deathed all the time.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Where is some good information on ICs vs MK? I probably don't play patient enough but that's the only thing I know for sure, more information on the matchup would be helpful since I'm heading to a tourney in a week in Calgary.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Keep in mind Samus is not really a threat. Unless she manages to spike Nana offstage you are not in immediate danger. Just walk slowly towards her and powershield whatever she throws at you. She can't do much. You know they won't attempt to grab you either as that would be suicide.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Keep in mind Samus is not really a threat. Unless she manages to spike Nana offstage you are not in immediate danger. Just walk slowly towards her and powershield whatever she throws at you. She can't do much. You know they won't attempt to grab you either as that would be suicide.
Can I punish samus's AC Dair with an OoS option? I Don't know if she'd have time to throw out a move by the time we could punish...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I doubt there is much you can do if she dairs your back, but from the front you should be able to grab if you manage to powershield it. Otherwise you are likely to slide too far.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
don't bother challenging Dair from shield

Stop being scared of Samus and just pivot grab it if they try to use it as an option
Letting her dance around your shield lets her win

DeLux

I'm pretty bad at the MU, but in my experience, your best bet is to directly challenge her in the air

I'd try to use Bair to frame trap to landing Nair for grab reads.

Also, AC'd Fair can't be grabbed if spaced properly. You kind of have to play RPS and try to punish the jab/roll away/jump away

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I know the desync is not as helpful here as in other MUs because of the turnips, but will the alternating SH Blizzard walls do anything worthwhile? How about Blizz-IB alternations?

JB IV

Smash Cadet
(If spaced correctly,) sh down-b shuts down all relatively low float-cancel approaches and turnips while fh down-b prevents Peach from repeatedly d-air your head. While both of these options will probably be utilized in the match, they will most likely d-air at your head more because (if done correctly) they cannot be grabbed. Watch for how they approach and attempt to punish accordingly. U-air, b-air, and n-air should be used frequently with f-air occasionally used (in the manner that Lux stated). ISSDI her d-airs accordingly . They will likely land in the opposite direction that they is facing when they d-air, but if they attempt a cross-up expect a float-canceled b-air or turn-around jab-jab.

DeLux

uhhhh turnips go through blizzard...
So SH blizzard isn't the answer to low float cancel approaches and turnips
You'd be better off throwing out an IPG to try to stuff the low approaches

The problem with full hop blizzard (besides the startup) is that it isn't safe on hit on Peach and contrary to what you said leaves you set up for getting daired/naired/baired

Based off the frame data on Peach's Dair, you can't ISSDI it without buffering a grab, meaning attempting to do so will get you hit by the rest of Dairs multi-hits or whiffing a grab at the end of Dair leaving you open to be Naired

You should actually have experience against a good peach player or two or actually play the MU before throwing out advice please

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Lux, even though you're right, you're killing my vibe.
I just checked and turnips go through blizzard :(
Wouldn't a spaced full hop blizzard stop an already floating Peach without a turnip?
I don't have an excuse for not knowing frame data...
Who plays Peach in Kansas?

DeLux

Nobody plays Peach in KS besides me on occasion I think

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the effort
But bad info doesn't particularly help is all lol

It's why I keep telling you to get to tournament since you are actually pretty effing talented. You just need to give yourself a shot to make a name for yourself :p

I'm also a fan of using Blizzard wall with the free climber to insta throw turnips back
I'm also a fan of using turnips for item gimmicks as well, but it's dangerous because of Peach's combo power

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
There's a great Peach player in Florida named Kyon but he doesn't compete anymore, at least to my knowledge. My friend VcE Enemy plays Peach and Climbers, so I have a little Peach experience.

What's the viability of Utilt to mess up Dair? Could I roll away and use Angled Up Ftilt or Utilt to keep Peach off of my back for a second?

DeLux

I never got that far to try it in the MU because I would always just play with my back to peach at all times so I could honey face her with space bairs

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
That seems like a better idea than what I had, just crouch and wait to Utilt or upFtilt if she didn't approach right. Thanks.

Alright guys, I'm still not finished.

I need some help in the Toon Link MU. This is going to sound really stupid probably but I keep getting camped on and to be honest I haven't mastered desyncs to a point where I can put up a Blizz wall with occasional Ice Block in order to approach. Ideas?

2-DJeff

Smash Master
How do we punish pit's spaced Fsmash Oos? (I probably am messing up on my buffered options out of shield drop)
just buffer dash grab oos. or smash shield DI into him and grab also you can block the first hit. spot dodge the 2nd then grab him

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Hey Jeff, long time no see!

I was wondering, can you perfect shield drop (something like that, where you perfect shield and then the move immediately comes out?) into a jab cancel grab? I can't get it to work.

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Synced ICs jab-cancel doesn't combo into grab. I've seen Vinnie do Nana jab1>Popo grab and Nana jab1>jab2 to Popo grab but that's situational.
If you perfect shield either hits you can either grab or dash-grab Pit.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Hey Jeff, long time no see!

I was wondering, can you perfect shield drop (something like that, where you perfect shield and then the move immediately comes out?) into a jab cancel grab? I can't get it to work.
you can but its usually better to just grab instead of jab

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I want to input because my friend plays Diddy Kong sometimes against my Climbers.

He likes to toss bananas at me from afar. When that happens, he waits then approaches with a dash attack to Utilt. Normally I'd shield grab this and take a stock but I get into a zone with Brawl where I forget to actually think about what I'm doing.

So I think Bananas, Bair(?), and maybe Dtilt.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Hey guys, what's the best strategy to use against G&W? I'm preparing for two big matches against a G&W main and an Olimar main (but since you guys already discussed Olimar...) and I need some basic tips to get me started.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Hey guys, what's the best strategy to use against G&W? I'm preparing for two big matches against a G&W main and an Olimar main (but since you guys already discussed Olimar...) and I need some basic tips to get me started.
For one thing, do not run in and dash grab...
I handle G&W by being defensive. If you run in fishing for grabs, you probably won't get anywhere
I space him out with desyncs and wait till he messes up...
However, that's just me :)

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Would a desync Blizzard wall with the occasional Ice Block be a good way to approach?

The desync Blizzard works on Olimar, I know that for sure.

DeLux

On the contrary, I'm a big fan of just running at GnW and grabbing him >_>

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
There's this good GnW in my hometown and I need to know what kind of plan I should have concocted for him so when we meet in bracket I can zip up his body bag and send him home.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Against GW I would suggest just slowly walking towards him and being very careful. Watch out for the bairs and everything else is grab bait.

Top Bottom