• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Export: King Dedede

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Nah it's not that terrible. Comparing any character to Snake level bad is a bit extreme since the only character that does that is Marth.

DDD doesn't limit every single option of ours but he does make the fight tough.

For -3, the question is: Does he literally shut down every option to which it is IMPOSSIBLE for Lucas to win? The answer to this one is no. It's hard.

It could be -2.5 or -2 but not -3.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
This matchup is not that bad at all, I would put it absolutely no worse than -2 for Lucas. I would probably put it at only -1, actually.

The problem is that there are very few good Lucas players, and a less knowledgeable Lucas who doesn't space properly and bait/punish is just going to get grabbed over and over again, which make make it seem bad, but it's really not imo.

The most important thing though is Lucas's aerial mobility, he can literally run circles around DeDeDe and make approaching or ever getting a grab incredibly difficult.

Lucas can space DeDeDe with retreating f-air, pk-fire, etc. He can wear down DeDeDe's shield fairly safely with well spaced aerials such as n-air and more retreating pk-fires. One of the things that I think Lucas does really well against DeDeDe is bait grabs and then punish. Lucas has very good air traction so he can bob and weave around DeDeDe with relative ease while baiting and punishing.

Lucas's ridiculously fast Jab and mixups from it (jabs > retreating nair especially) also give DeDeDe trouble close range, since all DeDeDe has at close range is grab. He's not Falco, he can't jab. ALL he has is grab. That's it.

Lucas also edge guards DeDeDe fairly well because he can safely PK thunder to eat DeDeDe's jumps and force an up-b, then punish with [really strong lucas KO move of choice] or an aerial.

DeDeDe really doesn't gimp Lucas very easily either. While it's obviously a concern, lucas can use zap-jump or psimagnet momentum and his up-b to recovery pretty easily so long as he doesn't make any incredibly poor decisions.

DeDeDe is fat and that can make him live through things and stale some of Lucas's moves, in addition to the obvious issues he presents with grabs. Getting CG'd as Lucas really isn't as bad as it seems for him though, and actually grabbing a knowledgeable Lucas is pretty damn hard.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
MMM, you know about Lucas? o_O I know you play FAE alot but I didn't know you were knowledgable in his MUs as well.

I would love some more DDD input but *sigh* what are we to do?

This MU is a steady -2 and when I'm not lazy I'll try and write a lil something up.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I wouldn't say I "know about Lucas" other than how he plays against my characters and what I know from playing often with and against FAE.

FAE asked me to post here, so I did :p

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Well thank you very much MMM and it's greatly appreciated.

Don't be afraid to post here more often since you seem pretty insightful.

Chuee

Smash Hero
@ CG thing he's sorta right.
Lucas doesn't too much trouble recovering from the grab, as in losing a stock or taking 50-60% from every grab.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yo ok I know I'm not a "Lucas" main, but I do use the kid (as in I did, for awhile) but I do not think it's -2, at all. I think it's -3 as well.

My problems with it being are:

1. Lucas really doesn't have a safe approach
2. DDD really doesn't need to approach
3. B-air ***** everything

Yeah I know I'm going to get the haters going "Man you're not a Lucas main" but yeah I'm not, just what I've noticed.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Depends on whats a safe approach.

He does when Lucas has the lead.

It ***** you when you jump. Not sure if it hits Lucas grounded, but it doesn't **** everything lol
1. Please enlighten me. What ARE you approaching with then? PK Fire isn't an approach, Fair is...not really that amazing.

2. You seem to be missing my point. DDD doesn't really need to approach even when the match begins.

3. Fair enough, but I was referring to when you jump anyway (because Lucas is not going to be on the ground the entire match).

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
The only thing I like to use on D3's shield in terms of safety if a rising bair > falling retreating uair. Of course once I get inside his shield it's pretty easy to get like 25'ish% before having to retreat.

Chuee

Smash Hero
1. Please enlighten me. What ARE you approaching with then? PK Fire isn't an approach, Fair is...not really that amazing.
What I mean is that D3's moves beat out all of our approaches, but he has to predict our approach method to hit us.

2. You seem to be missing my point. DDD doesn't really need to approach even when the match begins.
Neither does Lucas though.

3. Fair enough, but I was referring to when you jump anyway (because Lucas is not going to be on the ground the entire match).
yesh

Randum

Smash Rookie
Just played a bunch of games against Uber.

Realized how hard it is to approach, I agree with -3.

Lucas's range is just so below average that he can't do anything without getting CG'd. PK Fire still is the best thing to do though.

But yeah, he also said to ban FD over Delfino.

D

Deleted member

-3? You need to take into account the characters that are listed as being -3 for Lucas, and I definitely don't think D3 is as bad a matchup as Snake or Marth.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
-3? You need to take into account the characters that are listed as being -3 for Lucas, and I definitely don't think D3 is as bad a matchup as Snake or Marth.
What kind of defense is this? Elaborate if you're going to say that.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
"Shutting a character down" is a -4 imo. A -3 implies a hard counter, but isn't impossible.

I'm serious, I'd love it if you would give the reasons of your own as to why DDD isn't nearly as bad as Marth or Snake for Lucas. It helps everyone and will probably change my mind.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Yea I remember him calling it 30:70 at some time. I still don't think it's THAT bad of a MU regardless =P

Chuee

Smash Hero
Lets compare D3 to snake.
Snake's pro's
- Camps Lucas
- GR --> ftilt
- superior range
-Survives longer than Lucas
- Kills earlier
Cons
- juggled
- edgeguarding

D3's pro's
- CG
- superior range
- survives longer than lucas
- Kills earlier (sort of)

cons
- juggled
-edgeguarding

so basically imo snake is worse solely because he can camp us whereas D3 can't

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
That's really not a full-full skeleton Chuee but it's a start. ^^

One thing I have to agree with Yink on is Bair is the BANE of this MU because it pretty much does **** alot of things we can do.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Here's an interesting point to note about DDD, he can make it hell for us to recover. ^^

I gotta stop posting little tid-bits and post some actual substance some time. :urg:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
This matchup is not that bad at all, I would put it absolutely no worse than -2 for Lucas. I would probably put it at only -1, actually.

The problem is that there are very few good Lucas players, and a less knowledgeable Lucas who doesn't space properly and bait/punish is just going to get grabbed over and over again, which make make it seem bad, but it's really not imo.

The most important thing though is Lucas's aerial mobility, he can literally run circles around DeDeDe and make approaching or ever getting a grab incredibly difficult.
The same can be said about Wario. Just because Lucas has air mobility, doesn't mean that he can just go around and ****ting on people. That's like saying he can do the same thing against Snake. Jumping around doesn't help in this MU, it gets you b-aired.

Lucas can space DeDeDe with retreating f-air, pk-fire, etc. He can wear down DeDeDe's shield fairly safely with well spaced aerials such as n-air and more retreating pk-fires. One of the things that I think Lucas does really well against DeDeDe is bait grabs and then punish. Lucas has very good air traction so he can bob and weave around DeDeDe with relative ease while baiting and punishing.
Lucas can "space" Dedede, but he's not going to poke anytime soon. PK Fire should almost always be powershielded. And it's still hard to land on an aerial D3 because his fast fall is so fast, he can usually FF Airdodge past it. F-air is okay, until you realize it won't be poking and you're doing nothing but backing yourself up in the corner against him.

"Bait grabs and punish" - ermmm D3 isn't playing the MU well enough if he's being baited hard. This sort of means that the D3 isn't playing top level, where he should know the conditions to grab Lucas. Air traction? It honestly seems like you're just being flat out outplayed by FAE the way you describe this MU.

Lucas's ridiculously fast Jab and mixups from it (jabs > retreating nair especially) also give DeDeDe trouble close range, since all DeDeDe has at close range is grab. He's not Falco, he can't jab. ALL he has is grab. That's it.
Lucas' Jab is cool. at first. Then SDI. If the D3 SDI's the jab, he puts Lucas in a terrible position. If you anticipate the SDI, you just realized you get three damage on D3 and put yourself in a bad situation CC against him.

Lucas also edge guards DeDeDe fairly well because he can safely PK thunder to eat DeDeDe's jumps and force an up-b, then punish with [really strong lucas KO move of choice] or an aerial.
[insert how D3 can grab the ledge, making landing the KO move near impossible out of his recovery]
You should also be DIing the PK Thunder so you get hit to the stage. It's extremely easy to influence where you get hit from PK Thunder.

DeDeDe really doesn't gimp Lucas very easily either. While it's obviously a concern, lucas can use zap-jump or psimagnet momentum and his up-b to recovery pretty easily so long as he doesn't make any incredibly poor decisions.
No one really "gimps" Lucas except for MK and a few rare instances. Everyone is just able to get heavy damage on Lucas off stage. Which D3 can do great with b-air. Then he gets Lucas on the ledge, where he can ledge trap him really well. Lucas is pretty much stuck in a corner once he's ledge trapped where he takes a crap load of damage.

DeDeDe is fat and that can make him live through things and stale some of Lucas's moves, in addition to the obvious issues he presents with grabs. Getting CG'd as Lucas really isn't as bad as it seems for him though, and actually grabbing a knowledgeable Lucas is pretty damn hard.
It sort of is bad for Lucas, especially with the discovery of SCSG making the CG even longer. Then Lucas is forced to the ledge where, he has even more trouble getting out.
responses in Royal Blue

Chuee

Smash Hero
Just to comment on the part where you mentioned him up-bing to the ledge.
If you stand next to the ledge you can Usmash him or grab the ledge depending on where he tries to go.

D

Deleted member

It seems we are torn on this MU. :/

Wish I knew what the BBR discussion was like and how they agreed to rate it a -2.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
So Pink Fresh and I are sitting here reading this.

HE may not have the balls to tell you this, but I do.

This is ****ing hilarious dawg. Like, -dead- x1000. Like, Goku SSJ4 bull****.

It's great to theorycraft and all, and I admire all the enthusiasm and creativity in this thread, but give me a break. We have, tournament results wise, the best Lucas and D3 in the same region, in the same crew, AND TEAM OFTEN for doubles and you can't just trust their rating?

emo sigh...

Chuee

Smash Hero
It's great to theorycraft and all, and I admire all the enthusiasm and creativity in this thread, but give me a break. We have, tournament results wise, the best Lucas and D3 in the same region, in the same crew, AND TEAM OFTEN for doubles and you can't just trust their rating?

emo sigh...
but
the chart says -2 and both of them were on the panel.
so somebody must think its -2.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia

emo sigh...
I respect this for a couple of reasons for you standing up for PF apparantly and saying your opinion quite brashly(bad adjective I guess but it's all I can think of atm. xD) against everyone else's mindsets and sticking to your guns. I know what you mean since I used to try and go to as many tournaments as I could and used to talk with PF/Coney when I could about Lucas/DDD.

But here's the thing, you can say it's -3, you can have M2K come in and say it's -5. PF is undoubtedly the best Lucas main we know and Coney from what I've seen is fantastic as DDD. However we have no clue ourselves to know why it's -3. The best can say what they want but I don't agree with just saying we should go "lol alright." and agree to -3 like it's the exact definition. If PF/Coney do think this MU is -3 then they should speak up and tell us exactly why[ they think that/I]. I'm more then willing to change my view of this MU but I don't speak for anyone else. ^^

What I'm more wanting to see is that people should be posting WHY it's -3 and WHY it's -2 or WHY it's +73904 which will help our character MU. It can be whatever number but remember this, the number isn't even the main point this thread is for. It's for determining how we can stand a chance against this character and what are our tools against it. It's gonna help our character more discussing why people think a silly number then quibbling over what number it actually is. =P

I want PF/Coney and the other real lucas players to comment because otherwise all we have to go off of is our exp. and what we know and what we think. If you think someone's wrong, correct them (nicely *grr haha*) and if you agree then say you do or say you don't. Just let's get some real discussion going on.

Also if anyone knows any BBR people that can shine a light onto why they thought it was -2. It would help us dearly. Thanks! =D

*this is in no way directed at you Noid, it's more of a collective thingy and I hope I didn't offend you in any way.*

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Okay, let's discuss how we can approach DDD.

Then let's see what we can do to mess with DDD offstage.

KoozyK

Smash Ace

emo sigh...
ROFLMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. this is jokes. but legit lmao
dude got so mad

D

Deleted member

Okay, let's discuss how we can approach DDD.

Then let's see what we can do to mess with DDD offstage.
Approaching D3 on the ground is pretty much negated by his ftilt alone. The best thing to do on the ground is probably just keep your distance and throw out a grounded PK Fire if he's spamming his minions.

With that said, I think things are made a lot easier if you stay in the air and dish out aerials, preferably down-air(space with it and move away if it doesn't hit. You should land with little to no lag if done correctly). I've poked through his shield before with it, and D3 is pretty damn fat(I think MetalMusicMan hit on this :p), so afterwards you can rack up a lot of damage if you just get in and nair. People gotta realize that Lucas can take advantage of his size for that purpose alone.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Do I get props for the Dragonball reference at least?

I could tell your best bet of winning the MU. Doesn't mean you will.

Fact of the matter is you're on the losing side when it comes to the RPS analysis. Your options don't stand out so well.

N-air can get pivot grabbed even if it is fairly safe on shield.
F-air can get shield grabbed. Retreating f-air only gives the D3 stage control if you continually do it.
D-air is your third common option in this RPS analysis, and probably the safest. The problem is your options for follow-up are mediocre after the full-hop if the move doesn't connect. I'll let you guys discuss your landing options, but the more you retreat or fail to hold your ground, the more limited your landing options become.

And there's always the hilarious read of a pre-emptive f-air/b-air from D3. Which is infuriating and something you have to account for if you choose d-air.

PK Fire doesn't advance your position. Face a player who perfect shields and it's not a viable tactic.

That's the core of the MU on stage. Of course you can play to outwit your opponent, but I always assume both opponents are of equal skill level and intelligence or it defeats the point of MU analysis.

If you wanted to discuss mix-ups, I suggest you revolve it around the core analysis I just provided.

Ex: If f-air causes shielding habits, you can always bait into a grab or advancing d-air to reposition yourself and gain stage control. If n-air always causes a retreating response (b-air or pivot grab), then PK fire can be considered to force the approach. If d-air is being cut off by pre-emptive aerials, then you can consider what is normally the sub-optimal option: running into/under him, shielding if necessary, and using your dash/OoS options from there (u-air, whatever). Or SHFFAD instead of full hop d-air and bait him into being the one in the air? I think it's stupid but it works,

Knowing when to spot dodge helps. Knowing when to bait a f-tilt and not just jump all the time (ie. knowing when not to use the three RPS options above) helps even more.

I'm sure you guys can think of more stuff.

There's my 2 cents. I'm not a Lucas main, nor do I play Lucas at all or ever plan to, but I've played enough Lucas mains for a lifetime, played enough D3s to make me want to drop my character sometimes, and have seen various styles of the Lucas v D3 MU that entitle me to a respectable opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom