• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion: Falco

Metatitan

Smash Master
I lol'd.
But please don't bring melee into this KB, two completely different games, and your post makes it sound like Brawl takes no skill to play.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I lol'd.
But please don't bring melee into this KB, two completely different games, and your post makes it sound like Brawl takes no skill to play.
Wrong again. The Melee portion was included in the second half of my post, which was merely used to demonstrate my own personal experience with the "preservation of honor", it's necessity, and how much less I had to ditch my instincts and preferences in order to come out on top. What I'm saying is that Brawl games structure and specific function of matchups warrants that to happen more often than Melee's does. It's an opinion and I'm certainly entitled to it. xD

In short, I never said Brawl takes less skill to play, but I certainly said it takes more gay to play. Anyone who says I'm wrong has clearly not played the former competitively for any period of time.

*I lost to a MK this weekend that I completely ***** in the matchup because I tripped, it took away the tremendous momentum I had going at that moment, he grabbed me, chucked me offstage, and somehow caught me with a shuttle loop in the shock of it all. That gave him first game advantage. I took him back to the same stage, proceeded to **** the matchup once more, beat him decisively. Then he took me to Delfino (oh boy), match went even, I took his first stock quickly, then he took mine. He then took my second stock at 40% from a b-throw to shuttle loop on the flat formation with the ascending stairs on the side since I was pinned with very little options to resist. I just lost all hope but continued to fight. He took all momentum and finished me off. I took a very disappointing and undermining 7th out of 32... /salt

**So in essence, I lost the first game to a trip, a VERY IMPORTANT and often necessary advantage to have against MK because I tripped right into his grab as I was dominating his every attempt at anything. If I want to call Brawl gay and say how much gay one must take hold of to win in it, I'll do so. Heh.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i just dont think falco is bad enough that i need to plank against him. i really think this MU is pretty even. also, i dont advocate playing 'honorably' but i do want to have fun playing. doing upb over and over for 8 minutes, i mean, i might as well be using the kingdom hearts combat system.

X X X, jump, X X X, jump, X X X X X X X X X

boooooring. planking = playing kingdom hearts. HOW GAY DO YOU WANT TO BE?!??!?

Nicole

Smash Champion
well yeah, everyone likes that game. i just dont understand why. fighting is super boring, the story is sappy and cliche, and the camera angles are terrible. oh, and sora's ********.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I really don't understand it either, I guess I just don't let myself get too caught up in the negatives (since everything has them) and enjoy it for what it is...distracting entertainment like everything else we as a society have been groomed to pay any mind to.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
well yeah, everyone likes that game. i just dont understand why. fighting is super boring, the story is sappy and cliche, and the camera angles are terrible. oh, and sora's ********.
Kingdom Hearts is a hate-it-or-love-it. If you are part of the 99.999999% that loves the game you wont have problems with anything at all. The fighting is imo amazing as is the story where I almost cried (that happens very, very rarely), and the soundtrack is incredible and the graphics are a blessing for the eyes and the ideas/worlds are creative and the characters are well-written and the techniques are fun and it has Disney and blah blah blah blah blah blah..... and thats why I like Kingdom Hearts.

If you hate it, you're simply not able to see the beauty that is Kingdom Hearts. It's ok, we all have our flaws.

I do agree with the disturbing camera angles though... I dont really care much for that though.

:053:

Nicole

Smash Champion
lol, i'll give you the graphics and creative idea. but that is true, everyone seems to love it or hate it.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Good luck against Falco then, Red. You already know how ******** the matchup is. Sometimes you have to go against your nature to beat the stupidest of odds, even if it means exploiting a tournament ruleset that has no LGL to beat a Falco or any character with a crappy anti-ledge game.

I dropped the whole honor thing when people started beating it out of me with their own ******** gimmicks back in mid 09 as Brawl developed further and further into it's wonderful, true metagame we all know today. It's not Melee anymore where I could just outplay/out-tech someone and beat them "fairly" to preserve any sense of honor at the end of the match. It has simply boiled down to win or lose, beat or be beaten, profit or expense.

You still don't need it to beat him.

I don't understand how people pay money to play a fighting game .. but instead they run away all day?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You still don't need it to beat him.

I don't understand how people pay money to play a fighting game .. but instead they run away all day?
Never said it was a necessity to get the job done, but don't deny that it's one hell of a tool against his inherent weakness of a pitiful ledge game.

And welcome to the mind of many Wario players, or just DMG in general lol.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
None of you play gay enough :/

I can't understand why you wouldn't play campy as possible in Brawl - a game that favours playing safe and being defensive, especially when our characters defensive game is so good, even moreso when you consider her airdodge and weight and recovery

It obviously needs testing more thoroughly with Peach but many people would agree that if there's no ledge grab limit, planking Falco is a very legitimate strategy

Sure you might not need it but it could turn out to be the safest option to winning. Something very important vs Falco - safety

@Lance - People pay money for a fighting game with the goal that they want to win at it. If running away is the best method of doing that then as ironic as it is, people will do it

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
This is one of my favorite matchups actually. Idk why I guess cuz its my 2 mains. I don't know why, as Peach, you would be against planking. Falco can play gay with lasers so why can't Peach play gay with planking? Falco does not have too much he can do against it and Peach can plank pretty well.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
You could argue that puts you under much more risk than is necessary by doing that

At the end of the day, winning is your priority in a tourney - having fun unfortunetly isn't important

If it turns out planking Falco is actually a very good strategy for beating him, I would happily do it because its a heck of a lot safer than fighting past lasers and then having to deal with him up close

HOWEVER, lots of tournies have a LGL so even if planking is good vs Falco, its not something you can do in that situation

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't want to either but that's just the Falco matchup. I mean u don't have to plank the entire match, but you can do it occasionally since Falco has nothing that can stop it. But, anyway, I agree with you tho about not wanting to plank the entire match. I only do it when I'm having difficulty with lasers.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
None of you play gay enough :/

I can't understand why you wouldn't play campy as possible in Brawl - a game that favours playing safe and being defensive, especially when our characters defensive game is so good, even moreso when you consider her airdodge and weight and recovery

It obviously needs testing more thoroughly with Peach but many people would agree that if there's no ledge grab limit, planking Falco is a very legitimate strategy

Sure you might not need it but it could turn out to be the safest option to winning. Something very important vs Falco - safety

@Lance - People pay money for a fighting game with the goal that they want to win at it. If running away is the best method of doing that then as ironic as it is, people will do it
True, but sometimes you really just need to get in there and get the job done. That's it.

:)

¿Qué?

Smash Champion

This. IMO you just need to do whats best. Camp when you need to and pressure when you need to. Find the equilibrium!

:053:
Noo! Impatience is key!!

No, but seriously, wait everything out. Keep your eye on the opponent at all times. Approach only when the opening shows itself.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I enjoy it for what it is...distracting entertainment like everything else we as a society have been groomed to pay any mind to.
God you're turning into a hippie.

Top Bottom