• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Discussion 13 - Zero Suit Samus

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Zero Suit Samus
Advantage/Disadvantage: 0

She's very fast and CAN outrange us with SideB.
It's been said that "none of our tools work and none of her tools work."
What should we do in a case like this?

We need the following information:​

-STAGES-
"Best" starters for Oli:
"Worst" starters for Oli:
"Best" counterpicks for Oli:
"Worst" counterpicks for Oli:

Notable "move beats move" situations:

Opponent's primary tools:
How we can deal with opponent's primary tools:

Anything else:
(This section includes gimmicks, minor notes, and anything else that isn't covered)

Don't restrict conversation to just these points.
These are just guidelines to help discussion.
Discuss!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, my initial thoughts on the match-up:

- Purple Toss is REALLY good in this match-up.

- She can jab away pikmin easily. If she's just sitting there jabbing them away for some reason, try to filter out non-Purples.

- Her recovery's actually pretty good, but still gimpable. This is kind of hard to explain.
Don't try to gimp her unless you KNOW she can't hit you with her DownB attack. Try to hit her with a Purple offstage and edgeguard. When you do edgeguard, wait until she's almost in range for her tether and speedhug. Then watch carefully for the UpB and meteor cancel if it hits you.

- Don't freak out when she's Uairing you. Just try to get to the ground.

- Watch out for random Neutral Bs. They can lead into grabs, Dsmash, SideB, whatever.

- Her SideB makes Fsmash and grab risky. I believe she can SideB and jab us if we try to shieldgrab, too.
SideB also pushes you back a bit when shielded. BUT ANYWAY...

I'm having some trouble remembering how I deal with ZSS beyond what I've posted.

- Can we shorthop Fair/Bair/Nair over her SideB?

- What stages should we ban? I think I remember hearing that she likes Brinstar.

- What stages should we pick? I know Japes can mess with her SideB, but that's not legal often.

- What neutrals should we strike and which should we aim for?

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to quickly add that she dies pretty quickly to Usmash(She's almost MK's weight), and she has a hard time killing Olimar. She can gimp with Uair, Bair, and sometimes Fair. Oli out camps her, and just get rid of her items in the beginning. It's hard for her to approach with Pikmin flying around in the air sometimes, and she loves her side B and Dsmash. Be careful about using laggy moves, because Dsmash makes you pay... I think it's 55-45 Oli's favor, just watch out for getting gimped. Use your whistle well. Also, she has tether recover, but good ZSS players are pretty hard to gimp.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
From my experience, jab ***** in this MU. as well as DA. getting you off the stage is our number one priority. We hate being above you, and you hate being above us. Those purple ones **** us up....

I find Dtilt to be good in this match.
I'll try to get some videos with olimars in the area to post for ya.

I think it's even. Good olimars will space us while good zero suits will stay in your face, which is what this MU is all about.

Asa

Smash Hero
powershield a lot, her moves are slow

dsmash has frame advantage on block too, so if it hits your shield be careful

zss dash atk goes over our grab iirc

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I don't think ZSS has a lot of slow moves. The only ones being Dsmash and Side-B. Her Jab is frame 1, Dtilt is pretty quick, and has a good DA.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
her DA is mad fast.
and jab is dumb.
I'm pretty sure there are only one or two pikmin who can actually catch through the jab combo. I think Oli sends out a grab on the others but it doesn't connect cause of the frame 1 jab.

Is anyone sure of this?

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
you sure?
I thought that the purple one took longer due to its wait?

But i'm no olimain so im prob wrong.

I know that jab and DA are really good in this mu

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Dash attack/powershield to Jab maybe?

And Oli's grabs all come out on the same frame, Mink. The purples just have less range.
Purple dash grab in particular has like... Ganon grab range. ^^;

Asa

Smash Hero
Dash attack/powershield to Jab maybe?

And Oli's grabs all come out on the same frame, Mink. The purples just have less range.
Purple dash grab in particular has like... Ganon grab range. ^^;

just trying to lucksack a dash attack will just shut down by stutter step fsmash, purple toss, or a pivot grab would it not? dash attack seems better for punishing landings

Asa

Smash Hero
so mink, when zss gets in our face and starts jabbing, would she attempt to jab cancel the first two like falco would?

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
ZSS's jab cancel isn't that great or useful.
From what i can tell, we can follow up a jab combo with another jab combo. And DA usually combos into jab.

Our jab doesn't do stupid things like Falco's unfortunately, it's just fast.
There are certain characters that can't shield the last hit but can't grab it, i think oli might be one.
I'll test that today.

If any other ZSS's wanna jump in here and comment on the jab cancel i'd be happy.
I never use jab cancel, seems useless for her.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I really don't think that we can shieldgrab if you follow your jab with another jab.
Usmash OoS maybe?

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Usually what ill do is jab1 - run - pgrab
or jab - wave bounce side b.
But against ilo i have found Jab to work really well as shield pressure.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Here's a critique I posted in our video thread, this might be useful to see what ZSS is going to be thinking. Rich Brown and I have played a couple times, and while he's a lot better than me we still had mostly close matches:

OMG someone has to help me with the olimar match up, i have lost to 3 in the past month
Logic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsRrS7mAHQI
You take a lot of damage while you're spamming side bs, especially aerial side bs. A lot of times you just got hit out of your shorthop by purple tosses, which really shouldn't be happening that often if you're paying attention to his lineup. If you see purples coming, stay grounded, you can jab them to cancel them, shield them, or just outmanuever them, they're pretty slow.

You've gotta be careful about shorthopping in general for this matchup. I didn't see Logic doing this much, but the good Olimar's I've faced will usmash you or fair you out of your shorthops before you can come down to autocancel it which makes it really ****ty to deal with.

Your best approach to this matchup IMO is to try and bait Olimar into either short hop pikmin tossing or make him scared so he pivot grabs.

Against the toss: Once he's in the air and has thrown that first one, you can cover a lot of ground before he's landed. This is prime for landing dash grabs or dash attacks, both of which are very good in this matchup. If you see purples in the toss you have to shield them or roll through. One of the mixups that Rich Brown uses a lot is he will SH toss then fair on landing instead. The nice thing is you can cover pretty much every option Olimar has for that second move in his short hop with just a shield; if he fairs, it's laggy as **** on shield and you can grab or dtilt him every single time, if he tosses you just drop shield and punish, if he airdodges I like to drop shield utilt since it covers both of his options for DI

Pivot Grabs: Olimars like to pivot grab any obvious approaches, so a big part of beating him is to bait these and punish. They have low lag, but if you actively bait it with your movement you can punish them, usually with dash grabs or nB. For example, if I fox trot in and then stop, Olimar might pivot grab, thinking I'm dash attacking or running in to side b. Once I see the grab coming I'm already running in to grab him for missing. Or let's say I'm approaching from a SH, he's expecting me to bair. Olimar's best option against bair is to pivot grab, since it's totally safe on shield, but if I nB reversal back out, he's getting hit by it or shielding it, and I'm totally safe.

This matchup is all about landing one hit to pop him off the ground. Dash attacks are great for this as they combo into jab, which usually strings into more dash attack (this sting is awesome lol). Dtilt is pretty safe of shield if you tip it if they're facing you, and is pretty much entirely safe if you hit them from the backside.

I don't use dsmash much except for when Olimar is trying to get back to the stage, from a juggle or off the ledge. If you sit there charging it he's going to just laugh and toss more plants.

Side b is useful for wearing down his shield, Olimar's shield is very pokable like MK's so bairs or side bs poking shield are pretty reliable if you've worn it down a little.

Your item game could use work, honestly nothing Olimar does is that difficult to punish with an item in hand. He's a character that is either ****** or being *****, so even something simple like them running into a bouncing piece can turn into a dsmash read or getting him off the ledge if they panic a little.

If you have him high enough in the air to be a real juggle situation, as in too high for the 2008 maneuver, I treat Olimar like Snake. He has piss poor mobility, aerials are unsafe on shield, and to top it off Olimar has **** fall speed. His redeeming quality is of course down b and down b reversals. Our usmash outlasts his down b, so if he's doing them all the way down you can use that to pop him back up. You can also pretty easily grab him out of any landing, just pulling up the shield in anticipation of a fair and then waiting to see if he does it or airdodges covers pretty much all of his options for landing.

You let yourself get pushed to the edge too much in this match, it can be really difficult to come back against Olimar. Our best option to get off the ledge IMO is pressing up (jump off the ledge), which you didn't use much either so he basically narrowed down your options so he's just timing when to shield grab your attack or your airdodge.

You also go landing trapped pretty hard. If you're facing away from Olimar while landing throw the bair, seriously Olimar cannot punish that **** if you just bair to force his shield than foxtrot away, if you think he'll shield grab just stutter step out of range and side b.

3:45 The trajectory from that jab combo is exactly where you want Olimar, the more you put him in that position the better you will do. You can just run in and shield at the tip of his fair range, and it's basically flowchart: He airdodges, you either shield grab or drop shield DA depending on spacing, he fairs you shield grab, he jumps you SH uair. Once you've gotten him scared of that position it opens up the possibility for dsmash reads
WOW i learned so much from that, best

I feel as though that is one of the best video crits in a long time. So you bait and punish pivot grabs? thats tough, but ill have to try it. thanks for all the tips
I think about it like this: if you're at SH height and reasonably close, there are only a couple things Olimar will do. He might pivot grab, he might shield and try to grab or usmash your approach OOS depending on spacing, or he might try and interrupt your SH with a fair or usmash. In my experience Olimars tend to really obviously favor one of these options, so if you notice that you can tailor your approach to that read.

The main tool i use to mess with Olimar's pivot grab game is the nB reversal. If that threat isn't there, he can pivot grab pretty much with impunity since bair looses every time. You can also come in pretending to bair and side b out of pivot grab range instead. I think nB is better for a couple reasons though:

-it's unpunishable if olimar shields it unless you're sitting on his face and get usmashed OOS, since we can either jab at close range or run away/stutter step side b at further range if he tries to grab OOS.
-if you land a nB it's much more rewarding than a side b against Olimar (unless side b is killing obviously). Grabs and dash attacks are incredible in this matchup, especially dash attack
-A lot of times his grab will just barely grab us as our hand extends for side b, while nB is all disjoint.

Beating a shield and punish Olimar is the easiest IMO. Bair is safe on shield, nB is safe on shield, and so is a spaced side b, and Olimar pokes easily, so we have a lot to work with

An Olimar who goes in for interrupts on the short hop is the most ballsy IMO, and can be difficult to deal with but at the same time they are putting themselves in our zone for trying this, which means they get wrecked for messing up. Rich Brown favors this option in my experience. Dealing with this style is different, because you have to figure out if you should be aiming for a grounded olimar or spacing outside of his fair range.

The most helpful thing I've found against these kinds is if you think he's going to run in to try and knock you out of the air you can airdodge behind him pretty safely, jab the back of his shield if he stays grounded for the usmash or try and landing trap his fair if he went for that.

how do you feel about landing with Zss nair in this match up?
It's mediocre if the Olimar is on top of their game, but if you mixup spacing you can bait the incorrect punishes and punish him for them.

If you space to tip the nair, he's going to shield and try and grab you. At this range you can't jab him out of the grab, and dtilt is a little too slow to interrupt it if he has good timing. You can probably buffer a trot away or a spotdodge to avoid the grab, but against it's iffy on the timing. If the Olimar is slow, the dtilt will interrupt or you'll be able to get away easily

If you space close up you can jab him before the grab comes out, but you risk being usmashed OOS.

Nair's properties as an article also pose some other risks for us. If you have pikmin on you it has huge hitlag, giving Olimar a lot of time to react to your spacing and choose the correct punish. And because it's an article, we can still be hurt if it clanks with a pikmin attack. Whereas with bair for example, if Olimar usmashes while we are bairing, if they clank we can't be hurt by that usmash anymore, but Olimar still gets hit by the bair. Nair we would probably trade hits which is a bad trade for us.

You have to use it as it's our best landing option if we're facing frontside, and you can mixup with airdodge behind their shield to keep them guessing. It's also really good for comboing Olimar (like most characters), nair>DA>jab>DA is one of my favorite opening strings. So it's basically a medium risk medium reward move that we have to use.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Just got around to reading that. I found the "Nair as an article" thing nifty.
Also found it rather interesting that our Fsmash wasn't mentioned once in that criticism. Is it considered a "bad" move to use against ZSS?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Fsmash isnt bad against ZSS it can punish her Side b if shielded and more stuff.
If you're punishing her side b with fsmash you're doing it wrong IMO. Spaced side b is unpunishable for Olimar, and if the ZSS mispaces grab is better for the followups it offers.

Fsmash can be fine for catch a ZSS running in, but if we shield it we get a dtilt, I think even a grab. ZSS usually approaches from a SH in this matchup in my experience as well. In a close quarters combat situation you're going to be facing our dtilts and jabs mostly, both of which outspeed fsmash; a pivot grab is usually a better option for you. Fsmash does have a nice lasting hitbox though so it can catch a run in spot dodge approach if we run in anticipating a grab

The best use of fsmash that I've seen is just to control our options when we're at the ledge trying to get back

Top Bottom