• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Between Diddy Kong and Samus

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Greetings, Diddy Kong board. It's me again. While last time I asked the Diddy Kong board their opinion on this match-up, it wasn't the best way. Like I have done in the Bowser and Captain Falcon board, I am now doing in the Diddy Kong board. I have decided to take in-game experience to gather information about Diddy Kong. None of the moderators have locked my previous threads, so I ask again, please don't lock this one. I would like to brawl with any Diddy Kong mains here, those who have been using Diddy Kong since the release of Brawl in North America, or at least consistently for six months. I am also looking to play up to five matches for each individual I play.

What I am looking for are those who live around in the West Coast or Mid-West. If you don't live in these regions, but if you do live in North America, you are more than welcome to join. I do not wish to brawl with people outside of North America, due to the connection on Wi-Fi, so those who live in Canada or Europe, I apologize. However, you are more than welcome to discuss your experience against Samus. Those who wish to participate in this by playing me in five friendly matches (five per individual), you are also more than welcome to give your input on past experience. Thank you for your time, and I hope to brawl with some of you. And please, have fun.

Oh, and I will be doing this until next Sunday. After that, I will be moving onto Donkey Kong.

TheEliteSmasher

Smash Cadet
If you want to get spammed by bananas go ahead.

Don't cry when you get 3 stocked by these potassium lovers.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Forty-four views, and only one person who isn't even participating writes in my thread? What, do all the Diddy Kong mains not play Wi-Fi or live somewhere else other than North America? Apparently EliteSmasher isn't aware that I don't care if I lose, since I've nothing to lose anyway.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Lots of us play wifi, but I don't really think wifi is close to the best way to base a matchup around.
So, you'd rather go by past experience and hypothesization and theory instead of in-game experience? Wi-Fi may not be the best thing, but it doesn't mean that a character on Wi-Fi is played any different offline. So what now? Does not the Diddy Kong board want to participate? The other two boards I went to thought this was a great idea and that it sure beat the heck out of discussing in theory.

Count

Smash Champion
I'm not at all against saying it is worse than just discussing it in theory. It is worse than, however, looking at tournament results or listening to what top pros have to say against other top pros that main each of their respective characters.

However, I will play you over wifi sometime if you like.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I live in Europe so i won't play with you. However,
it doesn't mean that a character on Wi-Fi is played any different offline. So what now?
is false, especially with diddy.
From my little diddy vs spamus experience, i'd say that picking FD is a bad idea ; that's about it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I live in Europe so i won't play with you. However,

is false, especially with diddy.
From my little diddy vs spamus experience, i'd say that picking FD is a bad idea ; that's about it.
Please don't take what I say out of context. It's not like you're going to Glide Toss a Banana Peel offline, whereas you wouldn't online. That's simply what I mean. And besides, it seems like a lot of people think that if you're on Wi-Fi, it's going to be horribly laggy or is going to have some kind of latency issue. Johning before a match is much worse than johning after, especially if you're playing on Wi-Fi.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'd play, but I hate versing people WC or the western part of the midwest =(
Hm, yeah, I see your point. I've brawled with a few people from Georgia, and it can be laggy. So I understand. If you don't wish to, perhaps you could offer some information about your matches against TAC the Samus main?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Hm, yeah, I see your point. I've brawled with a few people from Georgia, and it can be laggy. So I understand. If you don't wish to, perhaps you could offer some information about your matches against TAC the Samus main?
Well I've never played a good Samus before TAC so I was shaky at first, the projectiles got to me, but I soon realized that I can't give him any breathing room at all or he'll be able to get some missles out. I think it's 60:40 in Diddy's favor personally though. If you don't give Samus breathing room you can punish her pretty well, the projectiles don't hurt diddy as much as other characters. He can outprioritse them with bananas if needed and side b kicks, but they're also fairly easy to dodge for Diddy. Diddy doesn't have that much of a hard time killing Samus as compared to some other high tiers that he has to deal with, same goes with Samus, but it still takes a while for Samus to kill Diddy.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well I've never played a good Samus before TAC so I was shaky at first, the projectiles got to me, but I soon realized that I can't give him any breathing room at all or he'll be able to get some missles out. I think it's 60:40 in Diddy's favor personally though. If you don't give Samus breathing room you can punish her pretty well, the projectiles don't hurt diddy as much as other characters. He can outprioritse them with bananas if needed and side b kicks, but they're also fairly easy to dodge for Diddy. Diddy doesn't have that much of a hard time killing Samus as compared to some other high tiers that he has to deal with, same goes with Samus, but it still takes a while for Samus to kill Diddy.
Vyse says the match-up ratio is 40-60, Diddy Kong's favor. I am more than willing to agree with the match-up ratio right now, so there's no arguing that. However, I have wondered, and tha_carter, a Canadian Samus player, thinks that the match-up ratio would differ if you do something about the Banana Peels. The same is if the Samus main knows how to glide toss. (I just learned glide tossing today. It is too fun!) I'm not saying we have to make different ratios, since I think that would be unnecessary, but I guess it has to do with other match-ups. For example, if King Dedede did not infinite Donkey Kong, the match-up ratio would be different. Of course, there is no doubt a King Dedede main will use his infinite chain-grab on Donkey Kong. So I guess it would be unnecessary to make differing match-up ratios for Diddy Kong having his Banana Peels on the stage versus him having them off the stage.

As for taking a while in KO'ing, I brawled with a fellow a while back. He was using Diddy Kong. I don't think he mained him, but he was just using him, and it was utter **** for me. He took a long time to KO. He usually lasted around the 160% range. It was tough. I, like you, didn't have enough breathing space, and it was a new match-up to me. When I started playing him some more on other days, he would beat me, but I wasn't getting two-stocked. Then, when we played yet another day, I was able to win some matches. It's just when the Banana Peels are out of the way, Diddy Kong isn't as bad to fight against. Thanks for the input.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Glidetossing won't make too much of a difference, Samus doesn't have nearly as many follow ups as Diddy, plus you won't be getting bananas too often because Diddy is built for controlling them and even if you do Diddy is also built for getting them back. If you want to go ahead and say 58:42 in Diddy's favor, thne go ahead, but glidetossing won't do too much. Samus has the 2nd best GT IMO simply because it can combo easily like Diddys, but still won't that much of a difference.

Top Bottom