• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Effect (King Maker) - Glorious Way to End the Day. Mafia Wins!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Man, it isn't even like... uncivil or anything. I've known Gheb for years and played mafia with him since the beginning. At the end of the day, we're still going to be bros. Actually, the reason why I'm so straight forward and authentic in my criticism with him is because we are bros. That bro logic.

You of all people should understand, Xonar. We are the definition of bro logic.

I also found a live recording of Hando from this recent game in his most natural habitat:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I do know, but the attitude and influence it has on the thread is simply negative. Stuff can be taken to PM or VM or Skype so that the thread is still easily accessible for people who don't want to get shouted at :(

Handorin

Smash Hero
Man, it isn't even like... uncivil or anything. I've known Gheb for years and played mafia with him since the beginning. At the end of the day, we're still going to be bros. Actually, the reason why I'm so straight forward and authentic in my criticism with him is because we are bros. That bro logic.

You of all people should understand, Xonar. We are the definition of bro logic.

I also found a live recording of Hando from this recent game in his most natural habitat:

Haha, that made me chuckle out loud. I promise that it isn't intentional. Gheb said something in game about my activity that was spot on, and that made me happy all day. haha. I do all I can, but I still have a passive/observing playstyle. While being mysterious. It's so fun. Plus, I have a million and one back doors because of it.

Marshy- It's good to be back too.

Rule #1 for life. Can't read my poker face. Stop. It's hammer time. Can't touch this. 2012 edition

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Thoughts:

Scum more or less coasted and Town self destructed.

Everyone thought I was scum for some reason o.O.

Gheb, you do need to tone it down with the defamation. That's not me abiding by popular opinion btw, that's me telling you that people genuinely aren't going to want to work with you if you do that kind of stuff. Curiously, can you squeeze 6 different types of ****** out of that sentiment? ^___^

I generally agree with the idea that normal mafia set ups are better than Kingmaker set ups...too much power in the hands of a single individual, and it can ultimately end up stagnating the day...or worse. I feel that Kingmaker set ups fall under the precedent of the TownGovernor role ban in that TownGov is just too strong of a role by itself and it takes away from the democratic process. That isn't to say I'm bashing on Rockin, since I enjoyed experiencing the set up firsthand anyway and it was a learning experience, but I probably won't join any Kingmaker set ups anytime soon (not that I have time for it anyway, lol.)

Oh yeah, sorry guys for not giving this more time. I got super busy and...well, yeah.

Not much else to say really.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Soup: Yeah when I get a scum QT it's just a free chance to goof off and act like a playful a-hole lol. Usually half of it is actual discussion while the other half is me making self jokes like:

>Convinced Soup it wasn't even me who made him look scummy

#scumVP2012

@Rake: Lol. Hey, more power to you if you really would have. I just know the Rake + RR meta is usually slow and methodical when given new power.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
You have that way about you.

The only reason I was able to look past it is because I know you have that way about you.
Hmmmm, well, some people were reading me as Town earlier, and then I started getting a little inactive...and then, welp, the rest is history.

I think I know what you mean though. People just read my text and are like "THIS GUY IS THE MOST CYNICAL EGOTISTICAL SON OF A GUN EVER" for some reason, lol. Unless that's not what you meant, in which case...what are you talking about?

Most people read me as Town when I'm Town...I think I just got off to a bad start because a lot of players were trying to prevent me from becoming King when I honestly believe I could have handled the shot very well, so I was arguing with them about it in order to get myself into a position where I could have become King. Then, when I tried to scum hunt, I was seemingly "trying too hard to open avenues of conversation," lol. Apparently being too pro-town is scummy? Eh, two sides to every coin.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Thank you all again for playing.

It was...interesting to see how others handle a mechanic like this. Honestly, I thought the vote tally be a bit more of a distraction, since at the end of the day, the King makes the decision of who should be killed. But then, I guess it's more easier to keep things organized (eh....).

Now did everyone enjoy the flavor? or the last day, Evil Eye was the one suggesting that Paris would be townie's burial. What type of beef he has with Paris, I do not know. LOL

Jerkus (Circus and J), how did ya enjoy the mod flavor? and Jdietz, to answer your question in the QT, that flavor was just me ****ing around. See, there's this running gag where Marshy has a thing for wanting to ban me constantly (like every moment, he's usually threatening me with it). Every other part in there was just playing of the stereotypical personality of people I know (from EE's manliness to Virg being awesome, yet have a huge crush for Kristen Bell).

Handorin

Smash Hero
I'll do better next time.

Manchmal frag' ich mich bin ich oder ihr verrückt.

:059:
Die Mafia ist verrückt. Deswegen haben wir gewonnen. Ist Hando eigentlich scum? ICH WEISS GAR NICHT. Er sheint Mafia zu sein, aber nicht genug.... Aber doch genug...

:phone:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Hando said:
I do all I can, but I still have a passive/observing playstyle. While being mysterious. It's so fun. Plus, I have a million and one back doors because of it.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Honestly, Hando, I wouldn't look back on your play with the seemingly positive "I did good" analysis you seem to have taken. I mean, maybe you're talking about your playstyle in general only, but it seemed pretty clear you were talking about this game since you referred directly to comments made ingame about your play.

I say this because your play in this game could barely be called participatory. Your inactivity would have gotten you replaced out by early D2 in any other game, and literally like half or more of the posts you made were johns and explanations of your johns. Then the majority of the rest of your posts were insubstantial -- true, probably at least somewhat by design due to you being scum, but also clearly owing to your minimal time and commitment to the game.

I really don't think you should play games until your schedule opens up more if this is the level of play you will be offering up for the foreseeable future.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Soup, you're still doing that "I had some number of correct reads at one point and that means I did great" thing. I thought you were past that? Really though. You literally cited yourself saying "Mastermind is such an enigma" and then going on to say that you're not even going to make an attempt to read the slot until later... as a correct read. What?

That is like the pinnacle example of why this kind of logic is stupid and should be abandoned. I thought you already had. Do it already so you can embrace humility and start learning from mistakes instead of rose-tinting errthang for the sake of saving face to imaginary judgment.

To reiterate: The only read that matters, and that you get to take credit after a game for is one you make, stick to, and see through to the logical conclusion. Whether that's keeping that player alive (town read) or getting their *** killed (scum read), whatever. Learn it. Learn it learn it learn it learn it learn it.

Mastermind

RykEEr
Rockin said:
Evil Eye was the one suggesting that Paris would be townie's burial. What type of beef he has with Paris, I do not know. LOL
It was also my suggestion that Jerkus be ejected from an airlock into the mouth of a thresher maw. It is, unfortunately, the closest thing the Mass Effect universe has to a SHARK TANK.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Soup, you're still doing that "I had some number of correct reads at one point and that means I did great" thing. I thought you were past that? Really though. You literally cited yourself saying "Mastermind is such an enigma" and then going on to say that you're not even going to make an attempt to read the slot until later... as a correct read. What?

That is like the pinnacle example of why this kind of logic is stupid and should be abandoned. I thought you already had. Do it already so you can embrace humility and start learning from mistakes instead of rose-tinting errthang for the sake of saving face to imaginary judgment.

To reiterate: The only read that matters, and that you get to take credit after a game for is one you make, stick to, and see through to the logical conclusion. Whether that's keeping that player alive (town read) or getting their *** killed (scum read), whatever. Learn it. Learn it learn it learn it learn it learn it.
I played to my town win condition and tried to be as active as possible among scumhunt. It was a good game due to the amount of effort I put into it collective with the amount of correct reads I had. I'm aware of the mistakes I made and I'm aware where I messed up, and I understand what you're saying in your last paragraph. I never got around to that part but trust me, had I been alive by D3 I would have gotten to that point.

This game reminds me of Taco Mafia in a sense that I got lynched before I could reach what I really wanted out of everything. I was sitting on Bardull just hoping to god he would actually respond to me. My word on JD was tried and true and something I kept consistent the whole day despite a small slip-up in his response to me. Hando included. I'm not going to call that I was right on you the whole time, and that advocating your shot was between connections of you and Hando. I town-read Ran before my final breath. This isn't about justifying what I did or saying 'my reads r right so im good player' It's me assessing how I did and working on the things that I didn't do. My attitude wasn't the best this game and I feel I'm losing the part of me that made it so easy to cooperate with others. I have tried to take things into my own hands but in the end people get scared and I have to go marshy or go J just to get people to listen to me. I tried really hard to make sure my voice wasn't clouded out from the cluster**** of this game. This is where I felt I did do something. I made myself a prominent influence on the game and decisions, sadly I couldn't do anything after I was shot.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Don't get me wrong, soup, I'm not saying you played super poorly or anything. But you're showing the exact same kind of logic.

Hell, you mention what you intended to do if you weren't shot, but... the reason you were shot is because you were so, so distrusted by the town. It's not like you got tagged with a NK (not that I think that kind of logic is okay in that situation either, but hey, more understandable). I would say this constitutes mistakes and badness to learn from, considering that your ability to look obvtown to other townies is normally something that can be taken for granted and the best part of your play.

But yeah I mean, the work you put in was certainly admirable, and all that. Just sayin'. Just sayin'.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
It was also my suggestion that Jerkus be ejected from an airlock into the mouth of a thresher maw. It is, unfortunately, the closest thing the Mass Effect universe has to a SHARK TANK.
Celestial Sharks

Handorin

Smash Hero
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Honestly, Hando, I wouldn't look back on your play with the seemingly positive "I did good" analysis you seem to have taken. I mean, maybe you're talking about your playstyle in general only, but it seemed pretty clear you were talking about this game since you referred directly to comments made ingame about your play.

I say this because your play in this game could barely be called participatory. Your inactivity would have gotten you replaced out by early D2 in any other game, and literally like half or more of the posts you made were johns and explanations of your johns. Then the majority of the rest of your posts were insubstantial -- true, probably at least somewhat by design due to you being scum, but also clearly owing to your minimal time and commitment to the game.

I really don't think you should play games until your schedule opens up more if this is the level of play you will be offering up for the foreseeable future.
I wouldn't say I did super well either. But I'd say I maintained my enigma at least. I can meet posting requirements, sometimes better than others. But when I'm able to actively read and make small posts to respond to, "Hando, post more", I do. It gets kinda annoying though. It just makes me look more lurker like and less not-able-to-post-so-much like. I don't think I'll be playing for awhile. Maybe not till summer, unless we get a super awesome game going. Maybe. Doesn't mean I'm leaving Dgames though. It's basically the only part of smashboards I visit now.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
haha, that's good, I would never want someone to leave. I just think you could have played a really good game but pretty much weren't playing at all. Real life's gotta come first, but wait to hit up mafia until you have time for it and stuff'll just run smoother

:gova:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
haha, that's good, I would never want someone to leave. I just think you could have played a really good game but pretty much weren't playing at all. Real life's gotta come first, but wait to hit up mafia until you have time for it and stuff'll just run smoother

:gova:
Word, I remember games where Hando played really well because IRL stuff wasn't getting in his way. For all them folks who think Hando only coasts.

:059:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Glorak (MasterMind), 'Billy' (Jdietz), and Dr. Thorlak (Handorin), Mafia Goons, has won the game. Congrats!
wow

Okay, now before you all get salty and all like 'damnit, I knew ___________ was _______!'
spoil my fun

What did anyone see in the Dabuz lynch rofl. I was actually scum and still didn't understand what anyone had on him in the first part of the game. Def. part of the reason it was so easy to have "real" stances in early game.
hell i started it to see what'd happen. sadly it's hard to change momentum in my experience

some comments:

3)(J and Circus hydra) - hilariously misread you as scum

4)Soup - <3

5)Death Bear (Ryu and rake hydra) - I think I was scumreading you because you were too, I didn't see you pushing anything?

6)Handorin - who?

9)BSP - GG give or take shooting dabuz over say Ditzy but ehh

10)Ranmaru - thx for replacing me bud, sorry I couldn't leave you a note with my certified townreads

12)JDietz - bwahahah man if i'd been king. you daaamn scummy

13)Dabuz - sorry about all of the grief, as I said, didn't think you were scummy past like very early D1

+ kary replacing out (we liked what he was doing) with such a crucial role wouldve been an excruciating hardship to endure had i lived
brofist

apologies one and all for having to replace out of this. as i believe i've said in the social thread i just got a huge slice of real life to deal with recently, i realize my role was hella crucial so sorry bout that.

in particular i apologize for making omni king then not being around to push him towards a good shot. could've made gheb king (read their exchange as TvT) but didnt think he'd listen to me. (had NH as backup king)

Another thing I'm proud of this game is recognizing Kary's slot as the kingmaker as soon as Omni was elected king D2. It never ended up amounting to anything since we never needed to specifically kill the kingmaker, but hey it was cool knowing the hunch was accurate.
well played
nevertheless i maintain that the priority is making sure the king is town, so meh.

This game is also proof that Kary makes everyone think he is scum d1
uh, except like omni/NH whoever else?
besides, I had an uncanny ability to predict who would be king that might have come in handy (or got me modkilled) which i was prepared to fall back on

I'm going to let this paragon of failure speak for itself.
:urg:

aaaand i think that's it
curious as to how a kingmaker with a few more PRs in it might play out. as this was it was interesting but i felt like there were a lot of posts and just a few poor decisions. blah blah kary blah

big thank you to Rockin for modding
and
goodnight

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I was really unsure what it'd be like with a few more power roles in terms of balance. Vig roles would be out due to the fact that there's already one particular person with the power to vote. On a worst case scenario, I can see a town member disapproving certain players king, and would therefore just either shoot that king, or shoot a townie member. Roles such as cops would make the game too much in favor for town, and it'd make godfather useless IMO. This leads the role department very very limited.

Originally, there's a role called 'Hero,' which acts like a bomb (only it's done from an execute). I COULD've added both that and a weak doctor role (I felt a normal one would be either a bit game breaking), but wasn't sure how balanced would that be nor did I knew of any roles the mafia could have so ad to counter balance that. So in the end, I chose weak doctor cause, in a worse case scenario, town would injure themselves of a helpful/intelligent town member.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
This was already town slanted by way of Doc. It's a designed vanilla set-up that doesn't lend itself to PRs well.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Oh, and here are the decisions of what the Kingmaker did

N0
Primary: BSP
Secondary: Jdietz

N1:
Primary: Omni
Secondary: No Hetro
(Had EE actually listened to Jdietz on N1, things could've took a drastic turn. Ya old skoolers know Marshy don't take **** from no one. LOL)

N2:
Primary: Mastermind:
Secondary: Gheb
(Funfact: Originally, Gheb was primary and Mastermind was secondary, but for some reason, the choices were switched up slightly.)

would people honestly be interested in another kingmaker setup? LOL

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, and here are the decisions of what the Kingmaker did

N0
Primary: BSP
Secondary: Jdietz

N1:
Primary: Omni
Secondary: No Hetro
(Had EE actually listened to Jdietz on N1, things could've took a drastic turn. Ya old skoolers know Marshy don't take **** from no one. LOL)

N2:
Primary: Mastermind:
Secondary: Gheb
(Funfact: Originally, Gheb was primary and Mastermind was secondary, but for some reason, the choices were switched up slightly.)

would people honestly be interested in another kingmaker setup? LOL

Top Bottom