• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masquerade Mafia / Mafia Wins!

Corps phoenix

Smash Journeyman
(Obviously there is only one room for an investigative, it was odd to have a town tracker and town role cop, that should have raised some eye brows)

Good night for reals.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
The group casted their votes and each member of group 1 looked nervously at the panel to see what would happen next.

Twitchybanana's name was highlighted in red on the screen. They all waited for what would endure next but..nothing. Nothing happened. They stayed locked in their chairs..or at least..two of them did.

OrangeXHtml prompted stood up, victorious.

It was so easy! I just had to talk a lot and nobody knew it was me!

He then did a maniacal laugh and left the room.

To make a long story short, the other two were set on fire and died immediately..

Twitchybanana was revealed to be Kaladin, Town Rolecop! Corps phoenix was also revealed to be Ranmaru, Vanilla Townie!

OrangeXHtml met up with his partner in crime, Aquariusboy in some discreet hallway.

"Did you get rid of the bodies?"

Polishnapkin was revealed to be WashedLaundry/Ryker, Vanilla Townie! Maven89 was revealed to be Maven89, Vanilla townie!

"Sure did. They'll never speak a word again."

"Excellent."

They each pulled off their masks in unison.

OrangeXHtml was revealed to be Spak, Mafia Goon! Aquariusboy was reavealed to be JDietz43, Ascetic Goon!

Mafia is victorious!

Then they high-fived each other and went to dairy queen for a good work's done.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

Setup and player comments soon.

Inactivity absolutely killed town this game and scum was given a free pass because town didn't have anything together. They did not take the proper initiative and instead were overtly stubborn which lead to their downfall.

Corps phoenix was previously Red Ryu, by the way.

Thank you for playing! I really wish this had more of a chance to be fleshed out and I was hoping we could've seen the next phase happen. It's so sad to see a setup you work on get such little love.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
GG, already submitted my victory metal (look at bottom of 14, Corps didn't pick up on the message lol). I'd like to thank Dietz for scumming with me (we had the game pretty much set by the end of D2 upon mislynch), I think that Polish and Corps were probably the best town players D1 and D2/Phase3 respectively, and I agree that inactivity absolutely demolished town.

Also, this game could have probably gone longer if people decided to kill me D2; I screwed up badly with my contradictions throughout the game and honesty don't know how I survived other than just talking a lot and inactive slots. Not my cleanest play, but it worked out.

Last edited:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I literally called the Sparky/Ditzy scum-team from my first post.

That's literally absurd haha. I need to just sit back and look at things more black and white and actually had played this game.

Orbo/Rake/Myself had a grand time in the Dead QT since that was like my first time in one as town in a long time so *brofist* to them. We had a lot of the game pegged which was unique to watch unfold.

But damn, Soup, your set-up was baller. Great job.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I was really worried about Corps bringing town back into commission, but despite his efforts, they couldn't get themselves together. Also, J, you were really easy to lynch. Like, there was literally nothing I could find that looked townie about your slot. In addition, I'm not Moosy (obviously) and it kinda stings to have someone think my playstyle is like his after how cocky and unreasonable his slot was in Blazblue lol.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Well it was really easy because I only had 2 posts haha. My lynch was a PL which is 100% understandable and I do not blame town at all because I honestly forgot I was in this game because of my incredibly bad lack of remembering when I am signed into a game on a different account. I would have done the same thing on a D1 lynch in a game of like "new faces".

I didn't think your play was like Moosy's, but I did think you were pretty obvious as scum. I mean you won regardless so kudos Sparky!

@Shun Goku Satsu Rake See, I told you I was right on the role cop thing. :mad088:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to keep my identity safe in this game while still playing in Gheb's game during a motherboard crash was the real struggle lol. Otherwise:

In the end we decided it didn't help us any to try to out people's identities. It would have given some slacking town we wanted to be treated to an equal standard meta passes at best, and known players to look towards for guidance at worst.

PS: Called Corps was previously Ryu as soon as he made a "but I better not after drinking" comment

PPS: also so much for the "There are no hydras allowed" in the rules post, #2ofem (it's okay, I know you copy-pasta'd the BB setup rules and we weren't trying to out people anyways)

PPPS: I wholly approve of my partner's win video omg

PPPPS: SOUP YOU LIED, YOU SAID KALADIN WASN'T IN THE GAME YOU LIED TO US OMMMGGG (kidding, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else mod-killed. Nice setup and extremely interesting twist, even if it ruined me pairing myself up with Maven as a backup plan if I died)

Last edited:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, it was very weird (but very entertaining!) to be defending Maven for an action I saw as showing his town-itude in two games at the same time, but in one of them very much for the scummiest of reasons.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fun snippet from the Mafia QT, wherein Dietz reads Spak's "At least we know Polish isn't Ryker because they're logged in together" post, think's that probably the opposite of the case, and comments on how to handle the slot:

PolishNapkin's bid for extra thread control by claiming a power player name they can actually claim has failed. Continue to treat him as a nobody so he doesn't get what he wants. In 99% of cases, that slot is Ryker. He would find claiming a slot he hated extra ironic; and if it's not, then Overswarm has graced us with his .... "lovely" presence again.
I'm glad I was 99% correct in that assumption lol (even if it was only part of the slot).

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ack Spak why you make me wait! Otherwise, would have lost to you anyway. GG JD and Spak.

Sorry Maven thought you just gave up as scum but I guess it was cuz of your identity being outted or something.

Sorry town. This was fun though.

I figured Polish was washed/ryker when they said 'us' and were talking normally.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

It was first WashedLaundry then Ryker, who never got a chance to play regardless due to rarefaction happening.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Ack Spak why you make me wait! Otherwise, would have lost to you anyway. GG JD and Spak.

Sorry Maven thought you just gave up as scum but I guess it was cuz of your identity being outted or something.

Sorry town. This was fun though.

I figured Polish was washed/ryker when they said 'us' and were talking normally.
I agree, the 3-person was really fun. I didn't want to push the lynch on Twitchy, though, 'cause that's a bit too risky for my scummy tastes.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Also, sorry for the image distortion in the first log. Photobucket sucks pretty badly on Chrome and Firefox.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also funny that my slot was Red Ryu. I was guessing it may have been twitch at first due to the 'drunk' thing but guess not.

I was hoping to be playing against him/with him.

Also I in/ed to replace and did not expect to get in immediately.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Glad to see you all managed to hide your identities better than imagined. The Leviathan schtick was used purely for the purpose of hiding my identity as I've seen multiple of these anonymous games include roles that generally target players based on their identities (i.e., role is informed x, y, and z players are in the game, it is their responsibility to murder them, etc.). I played a lot of things cautiously--the lack of a confirmed mafia had me looking for other specific angles and that might've been a distraction. The sheer lack of posts (and I am in no way ****ing absolved of that) also hurt. I was kicking myself on reread for not going after Morosemist earlier as that may have avoided his lynch later. I also was playing a coinflip on Spak--I assumed that bravado when I claimed to know his identity was due to him having a PR. I guess after the Bodyguard flip and the lack of a CC to the Role Cop should've had me rethinking that angle.

Oh well.

:186:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It's cool. I also posted more than I should have but I only did so because otherwise the thread would be dead. I figured Orange may have been scum due to re-reading too much and not participating in conversation but he did better once we got to that rarefaction stage. Sorry Twitch.

Also, I was the one who guessed Protateus was you, WashedLaundry. Want to hydra sometime?

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Yeh, I figured that. I was kinda amused. If anything, outside of Ruy's hilarious impersonation of me, that Morosemist was the closest to trying to play like me (too armchair-y and tunnel-ish, came off far more like Circus) but eh. I called that Protateus was Orbo but that it was a bit too aggressive. It also being Rake pretty much fixed that.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I thought Morosemist was Gheb the whole time......

#HBC | ѕoup

Would like feedback on the setup in case I run it again with some changes in variance.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Seemed balanced to me role wise. The rarefaction obviously was a boon to town, but an interesting twist.

Can we have Dead qt??

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Would like feedback on the setup in case I run it again with some changes in variance.
Role cop+bodyguard+vanillas vs Ascetic+Goon is fairly balanced. Maybe something instead of bodyguard but in general, it's not bad. What was the full set-up before you downsized it?

#HBC | ѕoup

SETUP COMMENTS/ANALYSIS

I sort of did this in the Dead QT, but let me break it down.

This setup is centered around clears vs. non-clears. The premise is not using their roles to find out scum, rather to lead. The bodyguard was put in place as a strong claim that could protect the rolecop. The mafia don't have any strong abilities at all but one of their roles works as sort of a red herring. One of them is an Ascetic, meaning he can't be targeted by night actions but still could be killed. It's basically there for the rolecop to think there might be a roleblocker or something is awry. The only person the Rolecop can really clear is himself and maybe the bodyguard, but I never made this setup in mind that the night actions would be that important. If the setup turned out to be 13 players, there would have been a vigilante in place as the 3rd role.
1) Everything was randomized in terms of who got what, including indentities and people in the rarefaction. I did not explicitly pit Twitchy/Orange/Corps together, as I wanted to try my hardest to not show favortism.

1 Rolecop
1 Bodyguard
6 VT
1 Ascetic Goon
1 Mafia Goon

I pretty much covered the idea of the setup in that paragraph, but I didn't fully explain it. I was trying to think of two roles that would work together without seeming too OP, and of course, in some Rarefaction games, there is a Innocent Child. I didn't think having a triggered Innocent Child and two PRs would be good as that would be even more of a boon for town, but I digress. I would've loved to see the game play out with a vigilante in mind, and I probably would have given scum one more PR.

What I liked: I really loved how the anonymous aspect worked out. It was really fun watching town try to play without their meta and how I feel some people got away with more (or even less) because they couldn't be pinned to a person. It was like watching a bunch of new players having at it with each other and it's something I really want to try again. I think bodyguard is a good fit for this setup but I feel ascetic had a lot of untapped potential; maybe if there was more that would counteract it. I also really liked how Rarefaction played out even if both phases didn't go through. Also note that Rarefaction was a triggered event and that this game wouldn't have even had a Rarefaction had town lynched mafia the previous day.

What I disliked: Inactivity and the Rolecop. I think I should've given town a stronger PR as I feel they weren't given much to begin with. I felt it was too safe. I like scumhunt setups myself but I also feel that town needs a bit of a boost. The Ascetic again felt like wasted potential without a vigilante or something.

#HBC | ѕoup

Role cop+bodyguard+vanillas vs Ascetic+Goon is fairly balanced. Maybe something instead of bodyguard but in general, it's not bad. What was the full set-up before you downsized it?
Something along the lines of

7 VT
1 Bodyguard
1 Universal Backup/Rolecop
1 Vigilante
1 Goon
1 Ascetic
1 Traitor

The ascetic's main purpose as I've stated before was as a red herring. It was to make town believe something was messing with night actions or there was a roleblocker; The vigilante was supposed to counter-act it originally. I decided with switching out Universal Backup in favor of Rolecop when it got shortened down because I didn't think two chances to have a Bodyguard would be fair, so I had to replace it. I always had Bodyguard in mind in this setup as I generally like roles that are powerful but not too powerful. The only role you could really count as even slightly OP is maybe the vigilante and even then, the game might have turned out worse if the gun was put in the wrong hands.

I originally was going to have the Rolecop be able to confirm indentities instead of just roles but I figured that wouldn't be useful and it'd be a cheat sheet for the Rolecop whom could just out everyone, evidently making guessing completely useless.

I also want to mention that Guessing was a red herring in itself too. There was no purpose beyond a fun a mini-game, though I made flavor to have it seem like something terrible could happen. I wanted to see if people would read too much into what I was saying, even if I thought about making it 'you die if you're revealed' but eventually thought that it would be too swingy and not worth the risk.

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Role Cop in general is kinda lame; honestly I would've recommended either a reporter or something along those lines if you didn't want a full-blown cop. I still don't like Bodyguard as a primary Protective, better to have it as a back-up to a jailer or something along those lines in a much larger game. Those are mostly personal design choices. Overall, the set-up was solid.

#HBC | ѕoup

I played with the idea of Reporter in my head for a bit but overall decided not to do it. This setup went through like five changes before I completely decided.

I always try to go for grandiose setups and lasting experiences. I try to stand out from others in the queue or even on the front page when I host things like this, even if it's failed on me. I am no OS nor am I aspiring to be one, but you can call it mod meta but I'll always try to add in something that deviates from the norm.

I think rarefaction worked quite well and I want to see it used again if I can. I liked seeing everyone's reaction to that and I'm glad nobody thought it was just shoved in their face. I was honestly worried about that.

Anonymous aspect was very fun, and I thought people were gonna be more crazy about it really. I expected players playing like they had restrictions but instead they were very mellow.

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I think a lot more can be done with the anonymous aspect. In this game, it mostly felt like an additional thing tacked on for the sake of spice. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I like mechanics that are there for a reason and the anonymity mostly felt like it was there just to be there.

#HBC | ѕoup

I think a lot more can be done with the anonymous aspect. In this game, it mostly felt like an additional thing tacked on for the sake of spice. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I like mechanics that are there for a reason and the anonymity mostly felt like it was there just to be there.

Yeah. I didn't really have much I felt I could do with it but I still wanted to try it. Oh well. I thought about doing a Pick Your Poison with it but I really wanted to try Rarefaction.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Thankfully you didn't. I'm not into PYP. Too much talk no action.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Well, that was the slowest car wreck I've ever seen. It was like watching some poor ass 97 Ford slowly rear end a BMW. Then a lawyer jumps out and yells at you and 2 years later you lose a lawsuit and all your belongings.

I find everyone's complete inability to move incredibly sad. You should've policy lynched on every day phase if it would've meant killing off all those dead weight slots.

*shudder*

Top Bottom