• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Sakurai's fanbase more than any other game dev has the biggest case of hero worship it's unreal. You can't say ANYTHING about the man without getting dogpiled by Sakurai fanboys unless it's the same blind praise they always spew endlessly. At this point I think Sakurai added Pirahna Plant because he KNOWS his fans will accept it. Just look at all the memesters pretending to be excited to play as it.

I'm dead serious when I say we WILL have Goku playable before a new Zelda character.
It is fine to criticize the game and some of Sakurai's choices in this direct. But there is a difference between thought out criticism and just being ungrateful. I really don't like that heavily wanted characters are relagated to AT which kills hype for DLC (especially when they were revealed to be assist right before launch) and that the August direct was a misstep as it made people expect the final smash direct to be as hype as the August direct when it wasn't. Or that they removed trophies

But at the same time we get 103 stages, quality of life changes for competitive, every veteran, Ridley, K. Rool, and a story mode. So when people start making some really whiny entitled remarks, I am going to call them for it.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'm really curious what the costume's sword and/or gun will end up looking like!
Wait, do they change depending on the costume? Sweet! That'll be interesting to see!

Honestly, I'm probably going to semi-main Skull-Kid-Mii-Fighter and just pretend it's Skull Kid from an alternate universe where he's like a samurai or something. XD Next best thing until we get Skull Kid for real.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Wait, do they change depending on the costume? Sweet! That'll be interesting to see!

Honestly, I'm probably going to semi-main Skull-Kid-Mii-Fighter and just pretend it's Skull Kid from an alternate universe where he's like a samurai or something. XD Next best thing until we get Skull Kid for real.
Generally speaking they do, yeah. They're not huge changes sometimes, but for Geno's costume, the arm actually became a gun, which was an extra step they didn't need to take.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Ironically enough Skull Kids/Majora's Mask Mii outfit may be the best Mii outfit of them all, because the proportions of the Mii's are similar to Skull Kid, and the mask covering the face unlike the other Mii's doesn't make it seem like you're playing as a "fake" character. Playing as him as either Mii Gunner or Brawler would work great too.

Man...I think we lucked out most of all. It'll almost feel like we're playing as Skull Kid, much more than any other fans who have Mii outfits of their characters.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Well any time i play a Mii, i know who I'm playing as, it may not be the Skull Kid, but like cybersai said the proportions match up pretty good, so thats pretty cool.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking—if the Smash team looks at online play and such, maybe if a lot of people play as a Mii Fighter wearing the Skull Kid costume they might get the hint that people want Skull Kid to be playable?

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone i'm from the Isaac thread. I had an idea that could help a lot of us. Seeing as though many popular characters were thrown under the assist trophy bus, I think we should join up. I think we should sign one petition to Nintendo to ask them to reconsider these characters for DLC in the future. I think if the Waluigi, Skull Kid, Isaac, Ashley, and Shadow supporters all joined together we may be able to get Nintendo's attention. This could be nothing, but it could be the start of a movement. Anyone interested can sign here. (You don't need to use money to advertise the petition so don't feel pressured to.) #UpgradeAssists

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Greetings from the Isaac support thread. We believe it to be a good idea to unite the Assist Trophy fanbases and get our characters playable. The hashtag is #UpgradeAssists and it could help draw more attention to our characters.
Excellent; I'm glad this idea is being picked up! I really think our collective voice could be louder than K.Rool's

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hi everyone i'm from the Isaac thread. I had an idea that could help a lot of us. Seeing as though many popular characters were thrown under the assist trophy bus, I think we should join up. I think we should sign one petition to Nintendo to ask them to reconsider these characters for DLC in the future. I think if the Waluigi, Skull Kid, Isaac, Ashley, and Shadow supporters all joined together we may be able to get Nintendo's attention. This could be nothing, but it could be the start of a movement. Anyone interested can sign here. (You don't need to use money to advertise the petition so don't feel pressured to.) #UpgradeAssists
Hey, don't forget about Krystal and Bomberman!!!

TheKingOfEvil2014

Smash Rookie
I see a tad too many people assuming being an AT is the end and completely give up on their characters until the next game. I won't get my hopes up for the idea because Sakurai probably has other fighters in his mind for DLC, but it's not impossible.
I mean, we thought Ridley wasn't going to happen before his reveal because of his size, and he showed up!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Y'know, there's a thought. What if playable characters could be summoned through ATs? Not if they were in the match, obviously, but that could be cool, right? It'd be like DBFZ or Marvel, where you can call in a teammate for an assist.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Smash 6 will probably remake the whole series, and will most likely include somewhere from 25-35 characters. We need him in the definitive Smash title. So show our passion for Skull Kid! Even if AT means deconfirmation, if enough people rally behind him and show some backlash, we could change Sakurai's mind!
This honestly isn't a likely outcome for the next Smash game.

No clue why people believe it'll be a remake starting with a small amount of characters. The selling point of the series is the ever expanding roster of fighters.

If Sakurai managed 70+ fighters with Ultimate, expectations for a similar roster the next time around would be set in stone. The most likely outcome to me is that we'll be facing a LOT of character cuts. Mostly for 3rd parties or redundant characters like Pichu, Young + Toon Link, Dr. Mario, etc... Which in turn would lead to far more newcomers than Ultimate presented.

Though I have a good feeling that whomever directs the next game might continue with fanservice and bringing in fighters the community wants to see. If we get another ballot during Ultimate, then I'm totally confident in this. Regardless, I feel Skull Kid has great chances now that the support for him has increased MASSIVELY during Ultimate speculation. Just gotta hope that it keeps growing and we show how much he deserves that fighter slot! ;)

Also, side note, don't show backlash please! That term is inherently negative, instead show passion and never dying support. If I were a game director, that would win me over far more than anger and hatred. :)

cybersai

Smash Ace
Sakurai already said a roster with everyone here probably could never happen again, after DLC we'll be at nearly 80 characters, so it'll be tough to bring everyone back.

Of course the first on the chopping block would logically be echoes and some of the old Melee clones, and possibly some third parties. Half the Fire Emblem roster should be cut and if it was anyone other than Sakurai they would have been reduced to about 4 reps. So in terms of Zelda we'd probably lose Young Link again and not get any newcomers AGAIN, which would be the norm I guess.

StormC

Smash Hero
Excellent; I'm glad this idea is being picked up! I really think our collective voice could be louder than K.Rool's
The only reason K. Rool got in is because of a direct feed to Nintendo and Sakurai. Not because of noise on the internet.

Just saying.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
The only reason K. Rool got in is because of a direct feed to Nintendo and Sakurai. Not because of noise on the internet.

Just saying.
How might we (and everyone else who wants their Assist characters to be playable) go about doing that? Just the Ballot?

StormC

Smash Hero
How might we (and everyone else who wants their Assist characters to be playable) go about doing that? Just the Ballot?
Honestly I have no idea. I think specificity is going to be best with getting a goal accomplished. Telling Nintendo "we want assists promoted" does nothing because then all they see is a bunch of people who wants 6-10 characters playable. The K. Rool and Ridley fanbases rallied behind one character each.

If you want my honest opinion, fan campaigns probably won't make a difference for this game and all the DLC has already been decided on. I suggest considering that you are in for the long haul if you want to make enough noise to make Skull Kid a playable fighter in Smash Bros.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps he could be in the second dlc pack, assist promoted pack? consisting of fan favorites who have been deconfirmed in some way or another

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This honestly isn't a likely outcome for the next Smash game.

No clue why people believe it'll be a remake starting with a small amount of characters. The selling point of the series is the ever expanding roster of fighters.

If Sakurai managed 70+ fighters with Ultimate, expectations for a similar roster the next time around would be set in stone. The most likely outcome to me is that we'll be facing a LOT of character cuts. Mostly for 3rd parties or redundant characters like Pichu, Young + Toon Link, Dr. Mario, etc... Which in turn would lead to far more newcomers than Ultimate presented.

Though I have a good feeling that whomever directs the next game might continue with fanservice and bringing in fighters the community wants to see. If we get another ballot during Ultimate, then I'm totally confident in this. Regardless, I feel Skull Kid has great chances now that the support for him has increased MASSIVELY during Ultimate speculation. Just gotta hope that it keeps growing and we show how much he deserves that fighter slot! ;)

Also, side note, don't show backlash please! That term is inherently negative, instead show passion and never dying support. If I were a game director, that would win me over far more than anger and hatred. :)
That sounds like the game this one should have been. I’m on board.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I just noticed the other message. I did not say I edited the Direct. That is a lie. I have never said I’m a Nintendo employee, that’s false too. What happened in that Discord is people creating a “secure” space to try to lure me into telling them stuff I wouldn’t say anywhere else.
Oh, come on.

Ur7NCRf.gif

Yeah, you're the victim and the whole thing was a set-up. Right.

Lemme guess; you weren't SmashNewsInsider or whatever the mole who was pretending to be me's name was, too, right?

And yeah, you most certainly did say you were the one who edited the Direct together. newwabisabi posted everything you claimed regarding the September Direct (link: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76999327 post #23). To act like you were coerced into lying to the mods is pretty ridiculous. This was a Discord chat, not a police station with crooked cops.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
This is both true and untrue at the same time.

While K. Rool primarily got in because of the ballot, he was such a widespread and largely voted character BECAUSE of noise on the internet.

The whole point of spreading support of a character on the internet is to further spread your cause potentially pulling more people on board.

Thus, if another ballot comes, you'd have far more support than you would w/o 'noise on the internet'.

StormC

Smash Hero
This is both true and untrue at the same time.

While K. Rool primarily got in because of the ballot, he was such a widespread and largely voted character BECAUSE of noise on the internet.

The whole point of spreading support of a character on the internet is to further spread your cause potentially pulling more people on board.

Thus, if another ballot comes, you'd have far more support than you would w/o 'noise on the internet'.
Sure. Which is why you will probably get more progress rallying behind one specific character than "free the ATs." One is a lot more helpful to telling Nintendo and Sakurai what you want them to do. The other is spreading yourself much too thin.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Sure. Which is why you will probably get more progress rallying behind one specific character than "free the ATs." One is a lot more helpful to telling Nintendo and Sakurai what you want them to do. The other is spreading yourself much too thin.
Oh, I definitely agree here.

Rallying for multiples just doesn't work in the long run, especially when the ballot was a single choice pick. If we ever get another, it's unlikely to be multiple choice.

Best to just convince as many people as possible to vote for the character you're rallying for.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Sakurai is a ****ing *******; I like Skull Kid, but you guys got led on hardcore (maybe even worse than Isaac fans). First the pillows, then the chairs (which who the **** has purple and green school chairs sitting in front of the camera in their office?) and then intentionally saving Skull till the last moment (and even after the Direct) to pain you guys. This guy is a ****ing *******.
The chair theory was a real stretch and never had any weight to it. You only have yourself to blame for choosing to believe in it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As a Ridley supporter, I kinda agree with StormC StormC on this. No offense, but you likely aren't going to see results if you unite with all the other rejects. It took 3 Smash games before we finally got Ridley, but that's because we had an extremely vocal support system that spawned a lot of controversy and overused memes (no such thing as bad publicity, I suppose). You'll have to do something similar if you want to get Sakurai's attention.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Waluigi is actually a good example of what you should be doing. Him not being in Smash has become sort of a joke at this point, and while it sounds really stupid at first, it's actually not too far off from what Ridley was seen as during Smash 4's speculation. Do whatever it takes to get Skull Kid's name out there.

Can you really blame anyone for believing it after the K. Rool thing?
Yes, because even that was a huge stretch. Am I supposed to believe that tall potted plant behind Sakurai was a hint toward Piranha Plant?

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
As a Ridley supporter, I kinda agree with StormC StormC on this. No offense, but you likely aren't going to see results if you unite with all the other rejects. It took 3 Smash games before we finally got Ridley, but that's because we had an extremely vocal support system that spawned a lot of controversy and overused memes (no such thing as bad publicity, I suppose). You'll have to do something similar if you want to get Sakurai's attention.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Waluigi is actually a good example of what you should be doing. Him not being in Smash has become sort of a joke at this point, and while it sounds really stupid at first, it's actually not too far off from what Ridley was seen as during Smash 4's speculation. Do whatever it takes to get Skull Kid's name out there.

Yes, because even that was a huge stretch. Am I supposed to believe that tall potted plant behind Sakurai was a hint toward Piranha Plant?
I actually disagree. The Waluigi fanbase took it too far. Uniting with other fanbases will help bring them onto your side. Not the other way around. You go to war with them the less likely they will be to support your pick.

Alias1431

Smash Rookie

What you are saying works very well if you want a character in the NEXT game. However, I for one, am hopeful for Skull Kid as DLC. (very VERY small chance as of now.) Skull Kid is already a frontrunner for Smash 6. The best possible way to get him in as DLC is to try for multiple Assist characters ( because if Skull Kid got in on his own, then it would be unfair for all the Isaac, Waluigi, Shadow, Ashley fans)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I actually disagree. The Waluigi fanbase took it too far. Uniting with other fanbases will help bring them onto your side. Not the other way around. You go to war with them the less likely they will be to support your pick.
Not saying Waluigi supporters handled rejection in the most appropriate way, but at the end of the day, everyone at E3 knew he wasn't in Smash and was upset about it. Because of that, his demand and popularity has been made very clear, and there's s good chance he could get in next time.

You don't have to take my advice, but I'd really recommend sticking to just Skull Kid. Teaming up with other fanbases will drown out your voice.

What you are saying works very well if you want a character in the NEXT game. However, I for one, am hopeful for Skull Kid as DLC. (very VERY small chance as of now.) Skull Kid is already a frontrunner for Smash 6. The best possible way to get him in as DLC is to try for multiple Assist characters ( because if Skull Kid got in on his own, then it would be unfair for all the Isaac, Waluigi, Shadow, Ashley fans)
If I'm being honest, there's not much left you can do for Skull Kid in this game aside from continuing to vocalize your support. It's all in the hands of Sakurai now, and if SK wasn't one of the five DLC characters he chose, that's that. If there's a second DLC pack, maybe his chances will increase a tad, but I don't think you'll have much luck with a AT theme, especially when the newer games could be in the running (Rex/Pyra, Gen VII, Three Houses rep).

Again, my best piece of advice is to prepare yourself for being in this for the long haul and supporting Skull Kid long enough to get him in the next Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like the problem is that it dilutes the message too much. Saying "we want assist trophies promoted" may get their attention, but that leaves it unclear which assist trophies to promote, since even within that group, there's still going to be a lot of different options and people are going to be annoyed if their personal pick doesn't make it.

What if they promote Shadow and Isaac, while Skull Kid's still stuck as an assist trophy? Krystal and Takamaru? Shovel Knight and Ghirahim? Phosphora and Tiki? Waluigi & Knuckles?

Within assist trophies, there's nearly sixty options (more if we include assist trophies who didn't make the cut), and while some are more viable than others (not many people are going to support Color TV-Game 15 or Klaptrap), focusing on one particular character would help to get the message across that we want Skull Kid to be playable.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Didn't Sakurai also acknowledge how popular Skull Kid was when repeatedly de-confirming his assist trophy in Smash 4? Its really confusing for Zelda's case, definitely don't unite supporting multiple characters. Fight for the character you REALLY want.

loz18

Smash Cadet
Oh, come on.

View attachment 175479
Yeah, you're the victim and the whole thing was a set-up. Right.

Lemme guess; you weren't SmashNewsInsider or whatever the mole who was pretending to be me's name was, too, right?

And yeah, you most certainly did say you were the one who edited the Direct together. newwabisabi posted everything you claimed regarding the September Direct (link: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76999327 post #23). To act like you were coerced into lying to the mods is pretty ridiculous. This was a Discord chat, not a police station with crooked cops.
I got word fairly quickly that someone was getting every single word I typed in that server out to a lot of people. I started messing with them. You can see the chat yourself.

Say what you will man. Believe what you want. I still get to see stuff before you do and that’s something that won’t change anytime soon.

I even shared a picture of where I was working for some setup and people rallied and figured out where I was staying in Chicago. Again, have your opinion it doesn’t make any difference.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I got word fairly quickly that someone was getting every single word I typed in that server out to a lot of people. I started messing with them. You can see the chat yourself.

Say what you will man. Believe what you want. I still get to see stuff before you do and that’s something that won’t change anytime soon.

I even shared a picture of where I was working for some setup and people rallied and figured out where I was staying in Chicago. Again, have your opinion it doesn’t make any difference.
Are you the real Loz18? Because if so, have you heard anything from Vergeben lately?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Been avoiding this thread as I didn't want a daily reminder that he ain't in, but had a few thoughts:
Skull Kid being an AT again is kind of a good thing. If he wasn't in at all, we'd have another whole year of getting our hopes up. Because the chances that he could have been one of the 5 DLC characters is pretty slim: many of them will likely be big-shot third-party characters and those that aren't probably did well in the last ballot. Besides, even if he wasn't deconfirmed, I can't imagine him getting his own stage. Skull Kid getting deconfirmed now could prevent a nasty situation later.

As other people are saying here, there's always a possibility (though don't bank on it) of a second season of DLC. If this happens, I'd say that assist trophies being upgraded is in the realm of possibility. If we didn't know now that Skull Kid was deconfirmed, we wouldn't be able to rally for his inclusion in this hypothetical second wave: some might assume he was going to be first-wave DLC so would be less vocal in their support.

Finally, as far as assist trophy characters go, Skull Kid did get a pretty good deal in the end. An assist (two if you wanna count the moon) plus a mii fighter costume that looks pretty faithful? That's more than most characters got.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Are you the real Loz18? Because if so, have you heard anything from Vergeben lately?
Loz18 isn't really affiliated with Vergeben.

Not that it matters. Of all the threads on Smashboards, I don't think Skull Kid's support group is very interested in asking Loz18 questions about potential leaks and rumors.

loz18

Smash Cadet
I haven’t heard from him for a while. Probably around 2 months or so. I will try to reach him sometime in the near future for some stuff he said to me which were interesting but if he doesn’t want to post anywhere he’d have his reasons.

Cosmic77 Cosmic77 and I can tell you right now I probably won’t have any more info Smash related.

Last edited:
Top Bottom