• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Imagine if we got a Zelda newcomer every game like Fire Emblem gets.

We could have gotten Skull Kid and Midna in Brawl, then Giraghim in Smash U, Impa would have been an echo/clone a long time ago,etc. I wish Sakurai showed Zelda as much love as Fire Emblem
As someone who has played far more Fire Emblem than LoZ and is generally a much bigger fan of Fire Emblem:

I wholeheartedly agree. Zelda deserves so much more love. When you boil everything down you still have Zelda, Ganondorf, and Link.

Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim definitely have the best chances for additional Zelda rep, and both Midna and Ghirahim have been confirmed to return as assists if I'm not mistaken, meanwhile Skull Kid seems to have been replaced with The Moon.

I'm really hoping this means a LOT for Skull Kid when it comes to being playable. If he's relegated into a Boss fight, that would be super disheartening, and I don't think Sakurai would pull another Ridley on the fanbase like that.

Even if he makes it as a boss, we can still advocate for DLC. Hell, if Toon Link can be present on the Spirit Tracks stage and be playable, then so can Skull Kid!

All Hail Me

Sarge
I personally think luck will be on our side and we get skull kid. Sakurai would have deconfirmed it right away in my opinion because smash fans are insane. He would have been announced as a trophy or boss already to kill the hype and prevent backlash. To me there is too much evidence in favor of skull kid being playable.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I personally think luck will be on our side and we get skull kid. Sakurai would have deconfirmed it right away in my opinion because smash fans are insane. He would have been announced as a trophy or boss already to kill the hype and prevent backlash. To me there is too much evidence in favor of skull kid being playable.
We've definitely been really lucky this around.

Majora's Mask and Hyrule Warriors Legends lining up perfectly with the games development.

Big competition with Midna and Ghirahim being deconfirmed as assists

Great Bays prominence during E3 and especially the Smash Direct

The Moon, that blissful Moon. Thank you Moon. It's clear to me Skull Kid is no longer an Assist trophy because of the moon.

Many popular characters who were assist trophies, Mii costumes, or both have showed as playable characters

Inklings
Dark Samus
Chrom
King K Rool
Isabelle

In fact Skull Kid and Black Knight are the only first party characters who had Mii costumes that are still unaccounted. And Skull Kid got his costume really early and his assist trophy was first shown. He and the mask were items in Smash Tour. In my opinion Skull Kid was one of the most prominent characters that was in the game that wasn't playable and I just can't picture him just being absent. And I definitely don't see him as a boss.

Hopefully we have closure soon.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'd love to be added to the support list. Skull Kid was one of four characters I remember supporting prior to Brawl (another one was Olimar, so I didn't go empty handed) and someone I've been supporting since. I'm still kicking myself over the fact that I didn't fill in a Smash Ballot entry, but that hopefully doesn't seem to be the be-all and end-all for newcomers. I was going to sign up to the forum and pledge support prior to the last direct, but I thought that would somehow jinx it and he'd be casually revealed as an AT in the same direct ... Might as well sign up now, though!

I've read some posts saying that Skull Kid has to be in in some capacity, either as a playable character, an assist (increasingly unlikely) or a boss. I don't think that's necessarily true: Skull Kid could have been removed from the game altogether. While that sounds like the worst case scenario, I don't think we should panic on December 7th if that turns out to be true. The truth is that Sakurai has limited time and resources to put Ultimate together. Not all characters he considers will make it to the base game, as others will be prioritised. It could be that this is what might happen to Skull Kid - he wasn't considered a priority, so was cut altogether to be stuck in as DLC as a later date. If the box theory turns out to be true, I'm fairly confident that this will happen to Shadow (who could be a Spirits mode boss, but Eggman seems much more likely IMO).

Being MIA certainly isn't a guarantee that a character will be eventually playable. I highly doubt the Brawl assist trophies that didn't make it to 4 were planned as characters. But this is just a theoretical 'don't panic' scenario if Skull Kid is missing altogether. Even if there weren't immediate plans to include him, it'd be a better situation than if he was a boss (which I'm still pretty sceptical about) which could dampen support.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If Skull Kid is playable, I can't imagine Nintendo not revealing him next month, so the wait for closure shouldn't last much longer.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Yeah that's the thing, if Skull Kid wasn't playable, Sakurai should have de-confirmed him early on by showing him as a boss similar to Dracula or the Monster Hunter.

If Skull Kid really isn't playable, Sakurai is making the same mistake here he did with Ridley in Smash U, where he only showed the shadows of Ridley's wings and waited months to de-confirm him. I mean he knows the huge backlash from last time, it's why Ridley is finally playable after all this time.

He knew showing off the Moon in that trailer without Skull Kid would get people talking. If Skull Kid was just a boss, why not reveal that early on to kill speculation? Instead it gets people speculating for months only to be let down. Same reason Waluigi, Krystal, Ashley, Bomberman, etc. all got deconfirmed early to prevent speculation of disappointment.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Drac was announced in the section on Castlevania content, and Rathalos was announced because he's both a boss and an AT, and they were the first pieces of information we got about new bosses in this game. Sakurai is under no obligation to then show off every other boss in the game, especially when he's clearly saving them for the Spirits reveal.

Sakurai has been making the same mistake of not fixing Ganon for three games now, so obviously these things happen sometimes.

Honestly I don't even know why people keep trying to predict what he'll do. He's an enigma.

EDIT: Hell, Ashley wasn't even disconfirmed immediately the way Waluigi and many of the others were, and that didn't make her any more playable.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Hot take but Ashley wasn't really even that popular until after E3, then she skyrocketed with support.
Man, that sounds familiar...kinda like our guy and the August Direct, huh?

They've both been requested for years now, but neither of them are the heavy hitters like Ridley and K. Rool. "Previously an Assist Trophy and currently not confirmed to be one in this game" doesn't mean playable. It could just mean "has a different role."

I think it's important to clarify that I don't want this to be the case, even if I've been dour lately. But it seems possible that we've got two months before we know one way or the other. And if people don't start making peace with the fact that he might not be playable, it's going to be all the more crushing when the reveal comes. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just cautious.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So I made derpy Skull Kid art in paint.NET. I know, it's bad, but I just made it as a concept for a victory pose, so I didn't really spend much time:

Skull Kid victory.png

Basically, he'd keep the mask on and spin around in the air for a moment while laughing, then land and lift the mask up after a short pause/hesitation. Tatl & Tael could fly around him during the spin.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I made derpy Skull Kid art in paint.NET. I know, it's bad, but I just made it as a concept for a victory pose, so I didn't really spend much time:

View attachment 166146

Basically, he'd keep the mask on and spin around in the air for a moment while laughing, then land and lift the mask up after a short pause/hesitation. Tatl & Tael could fly around him during the spin.
It's certainly better than what I could do :p

Speaking of art, found this beauty on Deviantart

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man, that sounds familiar...kinda like our guy and the August Direct, huh?

They've both been requested for years now, but neither of them are the heavy hitters like Ridley and K. Rool. "Previously an Assist Trophy and currently not confirmed to be one in this game" doesn't mean playable. It could just mean "has a different role."

I think it's important to clarify that I don't want this to be the case, even if I've been dour lately. But it seems possible that we've got two months before we know one way or the other. And if people don't start making peace with the fact that he might not be playable, it's going to be all the more crushing when the reveal comes. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just cautious.
I feel like a lot of the support for Ashley and especially Skull Kid has always been there, but their fanbases were just quiet and not loud like other fanbases.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I feel like a lot of the support for Ashley and especially Skull Kid has always been there, but their fanbases were just quiet and not loud like other fanbases.
I'd agree with that. Especially in Smash 4, we weren't really given a chance to get loud. But even if we were loud, we were never gonna hold a candle to Ridley's fans (which I also was). Skull Kid has been requested for a while, but nowhere near the level of the clear fan choices this time around.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Thankfully we have a bit more in our favour than Ashley, who was just a missing assist (and I guess Mii Costume). There wasn't anything to suggest that her assist is gone or been replaced like there is with Skull Kid and the moon.

Thank you Moon.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thankfully we have a bit more in our favour than Ashley, who was just a missing assist (and I guess Mii Costume). There wasn't anything to suggest that her assist is gone or been replaced like there is with Skull Kid and the moon.

Thank you Moon.
The Moon almost completely gives it away that Skull Kid is playable.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah just make me wish for things I'll never get, why don't you.
I don't even think it's that far-fetched. Dark Souls is relatively iconic to modern gaming, and Solaire already has an amiibo, which not just anybody gets. A Nintendo Direct is where DS Remastered got announced. Hell, Dark Souls even has a fire theme, like Smash itself. Plus, doesn't Namco publish the games over here?

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
I like to point out a pattern so far. First was Dark Samus with regular Samus not having the Dark Samus alternative costume along with Dark Samus not showing up as an assist trophy. then Ike not having the Chrom color scheme he had in Smash 4 and now Chrom is playable, then Isabelle not showing up as an assist trophy while also seemingly being replaced by Kapp'n. now Skull Kid not showing up as an assist trophy while seemingly being replaced by the Moon. and no I do not think Skull Kid will show up as a boss. there is no basis as to why he would be a boss considering the bosses in past smash games and even Ultimate. Spoiler they are large characters, Skull Kid is not a large character so it would not make sense why he out of any other large Zelda boss character makes it in as a boss.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I don't even think it's that far-fetched. Dark Souls is relatively iconic to modern gaming, and Solaire already has an amiibo, which not just anybody gets. A Nintendo Direct is where DS Remastered got announced. Hell, Dark Souls even has a fire theme, like Smash itself. Plus, doesn't Namco publish the games over here?
Namco actually owns Dark Souls, I believe.

All Hail Me

Sarge
I like to point out a pattern so far. First was Dark Samus with regular Samus not having the Dark Samus alternative costume along with Dark Samus not showing up as an assist trophy. then Ike not having the Chrom color scheme he had in Smash 4 and now Chrom is playable, then Isabelle not showing up as an assist trophy while also seemingly being replaced by Kapp'n. now Skull Kid not showing up as an assist trophy while seemingly being replaced by the Moon. and no I do not think Skull Kid will show up as a boss. there is no basis as to why he would be a boss considering the bosses in past smash games and even Ultimate. Spoiler they are large characters, Skull Kid is not a large character so it would not make sense why he out of any other large Zelda boss character makes it in as a boss.
For nostalgia sake, I want bongo bongo as a boss if I had to pick from the zelda series. He was a personal favorite of mine. Not sure how he could work. Volvagia would handle just like rayquaza from SSE.
But that is off topic, I agree with you on skull kid being too small for a boss.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It's always been the case that a few characters wanted widely will just dominate before the more specific tastes of people get involved. I'm glad that the massive picks are largely depleted now, and the only 'big' ones left are the very Nintendo super-fan specific ones IMO. It's really brought out how much variety there is to people's favourites.

All Hail Me

Sarge
Just curious, what is everyones oppinion on the LaPailleDor leak. A few people seem to think he may be legit.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just curious, what is everyones oppinion on the LaPailleDor leak. A few people seem to think he may be legit.
Apparently it was set up, friends acting surprised with the original post being nothing but gibberish with a pic later edited.

The original one that is, but I haven't personally any evidence of anything

Fane

Smash Journeyman
One thing I see few people bring up is:

-We've yet to see Young Link's final smash.

This is such an important hint. Just look at Robin and Chrom, Robin's FS was the only one of the Fire Emblem cast to not be seen, and that was because Chrom is now playable and showing off a new Final Smash for Robin(or the same w/ a different character) would've been a dead giveaway.

Young Link's may very well tie in with Skull Kid heavily.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
One thing I see few people bring up is:

-We've yet to see Young Link's final smash.

This is such an important hint. Just look at Robin and Chrom, Robin's FS was the only one of the Fire Emblem cast to not be seen, and that was because Chrom is now playable and showing off a new Final Smash for Robin(or the same w/ a different character) would've been a dead giveaway.

Young Link's may very well tie in with Skull Kid heavily.
Not to mention they specifically used Termina field music in his video… why not use OoT music? Seems fishy as hell if you ask me.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The problem is the music theory implies Zelda's new music would have been saved for a Skull Kid reveal. Why already use it on Young Link?

Fane

Smash Journeyman
The problem is the music theory implies Zelda's new music would have been saved for a Skull Kid reveal. Why already use it on Young Link?
It's just a theory.

Which is "a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained."

In this case, it's a system created intended to explain what newcomers we have.

In other words, don't buy into it!

Not to mention they put remixes up on the site, and Skull Kid's reveal could very well use old music or ported music.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Honestly I just feel it's been a big coincidence that we haven't gotten more than one music track per series. I feel they just add the music from the newcomer trailers no matter what.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I just feel it's been a big coincidence that we haven't gotten more than one music track per series. I feel they just add the music from the newcomer trailers no matter what.
Seriously.

Sakurai isn't going to make it obvious what series isn't getting newcomers. It's a preposterous thought.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
They were obviously going to want to show off BOTW remix, especially with the stage, but I highly doubt that would be deciding factor against Skull Kid. The logic is basically.

"Oh no, we want to show Music from Botw but we have a newcomer from a different game planned, I guess we'll have to use someone else"

It should also be important to note, while Zelda has music on the site, it never got a blog update with music.

I swear, ever since Isabelle, you've been nothing but a negative nancy about Skull Kid

EDIT: I forgot what I originally wanted to say, Skull Kid came second on an unofficial French ballot! Isaac was first but it was really close
Big image
4cn5pll_d.jpg

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
They were obviously going to want to show off BOTW remix, especially with the stage, but I highly doubt that would be deciding factor against Skull Kid. The logic is basically.

"Oh no, we want to show Music from Botw but we have a newcomer from a different game planned, I guess we'll have to use someone else"

It should also be important to note, while Zelda has music on the site, it never got a blog update with music.

I swear, ever since Isabelle, you've been nothing but a negative nancy about Skull Kid

EDIT: I forgot what I originally wanted to say, Skull Kid came second on an unofficial French ballot! Isaac was first but it was really close
Big image
Favorite thing is when one gets so heated they forget the point they were making. Also, almost 10%? Not bad, not bad at all.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Fellas, check out the item of the day, a nice reminder every now and then that keeps me going.
https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1044036194198319106
Oh yeah and tomorrow is a full moon, the Harvest Moon is the full Moon nearest the start of fall , perhaps a fall reveal for out boy?
Well I guess it doesn't really matter, cause every character from now on will be revealed in the fall lol.
But I think it's cool they timed this update for the Harvest Moon.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Fellas, check out the item of the day, a nice reminder every now and then that keeps me going.
https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1044036194198319106
Oh yeah and tomorrow is a full moon, the Harvest Moon is the full Moon nearest the start of fall , perhaps a fall reveal for out boy?
Well I guess it doesn't really matter, cause every character from now on will be revealed in the fall lol.
But I think it's cool they timed this update for the Harvest Moon.
Awesome, I wonder what English translation is.

Also I suggest if you have a Twitter account, post some support for Skull Kid!! Even RelaxAlax has made a comment on it

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I haven't been on the newcomers section in awhile. I had to go look back at the blog and you're right. First music track is from Splatoon.

That is potentially a really big oversight!

Or perhaps we could say the music theory works, but only what has been blogged.

It makes sense in the long run to me at least. There is some faith back in these bones!

cybersai

Smash Ace
The Moon Assist without Skull Kid really is/was the biggest hint something was up with him. They could have had Skull Kid appear as an Assist, summon the Moon and then disappear as the Moon comes crashing. But no...Skull Kid is not even there.

As long as he is not a boss he's definitely going to be playable. Here's hoping

Multi-bottle Thief

Smash Rookie
Alright, I've lurked around here long enough. While King K. Rool was my only HUGE want in the game, I would love Skull Kid to join in this game as well. And, I know this point has been hammered down to death as of late, but Zelda really needs a new rep, so why not have the second-most iconic villain in the series fill that roll? Count me in as a supporter! (also, no, Skull Kid would NOT be a boss. That just seems like a really backwards move)

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, of ALL the LoZ villains and bosses, Skull Kid doesn't make ANY sense to use.

He's too small to realistically size up to fit the boss role, and there's characters like Blight Ganons(even Calamity Ganon), The Imprisoned, Helmaroc, etc... that would fit the boss role perfectly for the supposed 'Spirits' mode.

Not to mention with his insane popularity and the iconic status of Majora's Mask, it'd be way too sensible to make him playable. Entices more LoZ players into buying the game rather than looking at the roster again and saying "It's still essentially Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf."

Top Bottom