• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
"You don't want Skull Kid, you just want Majora's Mask."

Of all the things I've ever heard to detract from any character ever, this is by far got to be the absolute stupidest. Ridley is too big? Yeah ok whatever. K. Rool is too irrelevant? Sure I guess. But this? Anyone who says this unironically is a desperate contrarian and a moron.

I'm actually amazed at how often I've seen it used now.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Of all the things I've ever heard to detract from any character ever, this is by far got to be the absolute stupidest. Ridley is too big? Yeah ok whatever. K. Rool is too irrelevant? Sure I guess. But this? Anyone who says this unironically is a desperate contrarian and a moron.

You serious? That's an argument you've seen?

So let me get this straight...
>Great Bay stage
>Moon Assist Trophy
>Bunny Hood item
>Termina Field music
>Probably some trophies of MM to come

I think we're good on the MM content. That ain't why people want Skull Kid :yoshi:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

This argument's stupid because it's actually kind of true. The thing that makes Skull Kid a significant character in the Zelda franchise is his possession of Majora's Mask, making him the main antagonist of - wouldn't you know - Majora's Mask.

Okay? Where does the argument go from there? Is getting me to admit that the "gotcha" moment you were going for?

Majora's Mask is one of the most iconic images from gaming, and the visual of Skull Kid looking at his hand after putting on the Mask that is often depicted in artwork and merchandising is equally so.

So you're right. I'm not interested in the weird Tim Burton marionette from Twilight Princess. I am, in fact, interested in the Skull Kid, who utilizes the power of Majora's Mask to do some creepy and crazy stuff.

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
If Skull Kid really doesn't make the base roster, we're going to turn him into the next Ridley and K. Rool for DLC.

Skull Kids rumors are all over the internet, tons of different places like reddit, youtube, twitter, tumblr, IGN, gamefaqs, ResetEra, discords, etc. all know about Skill Kid being rumored for Smash. Now that Skull Kid is mentioned all over the internet, it's very likely all these different people will rally behind him for DLC when they might not have before.

loz breaking the news of Skull Kid early was a blessing in disguise. If by chance he doesn't make it, look at all the thousands of people who now suddenly want Skull Kid when prior he would not have come up in most peoples minds. He's definitely going to be a huge pick for DLC if he doesn't make it.

Skull Kid will become the next Ridley and K. Rool, I'm betting. But let's all hope it doesn't have to come to that and he's in the base roster.
This is exactly how I see it. Couldn't have said it better! :)
Loz18 leaking Skullkid also gave us fans a plan B if he ever ends up not being in the base roster. He's on everyone's radar, we now just need to keep it that way until he's playable like K Rool and Ridley.
(I think Skullkid will likely make it into the base roster, but it's nice to know we have a backup plan).

I've dealt with this as well. seen my fair share of oddballs use this as if it's supposed to be some sort of strike against Skullkid lol. It's an extremely desperate sounding argument.

Banette

Smash Cadet
If Zelda got two non echo characters, Skull Kid was one, what would you like the other one to be?
Always wanted Midna in some shape or form; doesn't look like that's happening this time around.

Anyway, congrats on reaching 200 all. Really expecting that announcement within the next few days.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I don't think the argument is stupid. Majoras Mask is one of my fave games ever, yet I don't share the same love for Skull Kid as his supporters to the point it wouldn't bother me if he didn't make it in.

My question to you all is, what specific things about Skull Kid make you love him so much and want him in as a playable character?

I understand why people might like him. He assumed his friends didn't love him any more when they left him behind, and he became a loner before meeting Tatl and Tael. And he became a victim of Majoras Mask. And at the same time, he's imperfect. Even before getting the mask, he played tricks on people, which led to him stealing the MM. (and Skull Kid with the mask looks cool).

Beyond that, though, I don't understand the desperation to have him in as a playable character. You don't even fight Skull Kid as the final boss. You fight the mask. Skull Kid was just a puppet.

When I think back on the game, I just see the MM as the face/image of the many things I loved in the game overall, but I don't have a particular love for Skull Kid.

As a fan of the game, I'm satisfied with any MM representation, but wouldn't be upset if he doesn't make it in. So, out of curiosity, what are some reasons you'd want him in as a playable character so badly?

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the argument is stupid. Majoras Mask is one of my fave games ever, yet I don't share the same love for Skull Kid as his supporters to the point it wouldn't bother me if he didn't make it in.

My question to you all is, what specific things about Skull Kid make you love him so much and want him in as a playable character?

I understand why people might like him. He assumed his friends didn't love him any more when they left him behind, and he became a loner before meeting Tatl and Tael. And he became a victim of Majoras Mask. And at the same time, he's imperfect. Even before getting the mask, he played tricks on people, which led to him stealing the MM. (and Skull Kid with the mask looks cool).

Beyond that, though, I don't understand the desperation to have him in as a playable character. You don't even fight Skull Kid as the final boss. You fight the mask. Skull Kid was just a puppet.

When I think back on the game, I just see the MM as the face/image of the many things I loved in the game overall, but I don't have a particular love for Skull Kid.

As a fan of the game, I'm satisfied with any MM representation, but wouldn't be upset if he doesn't make it in. So, out of curiosity, what are some reasons you'd want him in as a playable character so badly?
Having a floating Majora's Mask as a character would be awkward, and playing as Majora's Incarnation or Wrath is a bit tonally dissonant for Smash. Also, while they both have really cool designs, very few people know who they are compared to Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask, which almost every gamer has seen at some point even if they don't know who Skull Kid is or never played Zelda.

Skull Kid also supplies a bratty, mischevious attitude while Majora is just chaotic malice. Additionally, if we're being practical Skull Kid adds way more moveset potential than the mask alone. Majora could use the Boss' Remains, fiery eye laser beams, those rapid balls of energy, whip tendrils, and the spinning exploding tops.

Skull Kid could use all of these (except for maybe the Boss' Remains, that's a little weird) plus his puppets from TP, the Deku curse, Tatl and Tael, shoot seeds from his flute, disappearing in a puff of leaves etc.

Plus I really need the ass slap taunt which Majora can't supply.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

“Samus isn’t iconic, it’s the Power Suit that you want!”

Yeah well someone has to wear it.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
He's the only likely character from Majora's Mask, which is in turn one of the glaring omissions from Zelda's representation in Smash. He's a villain, which the game needs more of. He's the only character who wears the titular mask, and playing as just the mask or as one of Majora's forms would be...bizarre. Zelda has also been waiting for a new character for seventeen years, and Skull Kid is one of the only ones left who would actually be new, instead of most likely an echo. (I do want Impa, but I recognize that her best bet is as a Sheik echo.) Plus I think his personality and actions throughout the game lend themselves extremely well to a fun and creative moveset. He has the potential to be one of the most fun and unique characters in the game.

EDIT: Also, his AT in Smash 4 ****ing sucks.

Last edited:

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman

He is a complex villain in a complex game. This goes into more detail and I encourage you to read: https://www.google.com/amp/withater...15/he-was-lonely-the-pathos-of-skull-kid/amp/

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The circumstantial evidence suggesting that Skull Kid is playable could be a very good indication that he will be playable. However the possibility exists that he could also be a story mode boss. I'm interested in following this as it develops further.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I also think it's worth noting that without the Skull Kid in it, Majora's Mask would not be the same game. If Ganon was the villain, the troubles plaguing Termina would be very different (assuming it was even still in Termina). The Skull Kid's personality, warped though it is by the mask's influence, still manifests itself in the way he lashes out at the world. Majora's Mask is a very personal story to many characters, and the Skull Kid is absolutely one of them.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Then why are you here?

UserKev

Smash Champion

If your aren't a fan, that's cool. We know the reasons for those of us who want the character. It doesn't need explaining anymore, really. Haha

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
To find out why we all love him so much, which the rest of his post says. Don't attack him when he wasn't rude.
My post would have been way less rude if he wasn't unironically supporting a meme argument.

"You don't really want Geno, you just want the doll."

"You don't really want Banjo and Kazooie, you just want the backpack."

You don't want Bandanna Dee, you just want the bandana."

That's the level of stupid this argument comes down to.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Then why are you here?
Curiosity.

And my question isn't between which should be playable between Skull Kid and the Mask, but what do you love most about Skull Kid specifically that you would want him playable so badly.

There've been some fair answers, but it seems for some it's less wanting the character but more just wanting playable representation for MM as a whole, and I respect both.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Skull Kid has this nice character; he's lonely and wants a friend, but other than that, he shows interest in masks and music, not just in MM but in OoT as well. He's also a childish trickster, a mischievous forest imp, and some of his actions in Majora's Mask could be considered his own, just with the Mask's influence bringing his bad side to the extreme.

Plus, Majora itself doesn't really have any personality, other than it being pure insanity. It does say some words when you talk to it inside the Moon, but if you take the evilness away (I mean, it's about to try and kill you), those words could fit Skull Kid as well.

I like him for the character he shows, and him being associated with a mysterious forest.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just really like the idea behind the character. Skull Kids are already pretty somber to begin with, just the whole idea of a child getting lost in the woods and becoming this withering creature is pretty unsettling, so you have that on top of this particularly playful and curious one attaining powers far beyond what he's capable of handling. All of the various ways he's affected Termina are pretty much just pranks, he's still acting like a little child would, but it now has serious repercussions because of Majora's powers and leads to all sorts of big issues. Of course most of that has already happened by the time Link arrives in Termina, and by the time he's bringing down The Moon it's more Majora than Skull Kid, but it's still super cool even if we don't see most of it in action.

It's not unlike why I love Porky in Mother 3, again it's a child with way too much power (or in this case the mind of a child in an old body), these type of characters don't really think about how their actions might affect others or even care, they just act like spoiled brats because nobody can stop them, so they just do whatever amuses them, which makes for all sorts of chaos. The Chimeras that Porky make in Mother 3 is a great example of this, it's incredibly disgusting and twisted, but you can kind of see that it's really just a child's idea of picking apart toys and intentionally mismatching limbs and whatnot, and you can see the same mindset in a lot of Skull Kid's actions.

That and Skull Kid's design is just really cool, plus we're lacking a proper dark magic user in Smash.

Last edited:

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
People who had accurate information on the previous direct date have said the new date is September 13, check GameXplain video for the specific time and source.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Skull Kid has this nice character; he's lonely and wants a friend, but other than that, he shows interest in masks and music, not just in MM but in OoT as well. He's also a childish trickster, a mischievous forest imp, and some of his actions in Majora's Mask could be considered his own, just with the Mask's influence bringing his bad side to the extreme.

Plus, Majora itself doesn't really have any personality, other than it being pure insanity. It does say some words when you talk to it inside the Moon, but if you take the evilness away (I mean, it's about to try and kill you), those words could fit Skull Kid as well.

I like him for
I also think it's worth noting that without the Skull Kid in it, Majora's Mask would not be the same game. If Ganon was the villain, the troubles plaguing Termina would be very different (assuming it was even still in Termina). The Skull Kid's personality, warped though it is by the mask's influence, still manifests itself in the way he lashes out at the world. Majora's Mask is a very personal story to many characters, and the Skull Kid is absolutely one of them.
Excellent point. That does make me appreciate Skull Kid more. I always imagined it as the Skull Kid being a puppet, but really the mask is rather influencing/warping his personality.

And if someone else wore the mask, it very well could be a different game.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Luviant X Luviant X

Skull Kid has an appealing design, with the pointy shoes and the angularity of his straw hat. Tatl and Tael offer nice color contrast. Skull Kid's voice is immediately identifiable. Lots of things make Skull Kid a neat aesthetic character.

Majora's Mask is the meat and potatoes of what makes Skull Kid so interesting in MM, though. We certaintly can't have the mask by itself, and Skull Kid already has such a striking visual design anyways. I feel like this character is an alluring mix of things that we wouldn't get from any other SSB character. But yes, it admittedly comes down to the mask and its special flavor of fancy evil magic. It's just accentuated by how cool Skull Kid's shape and color scheme is.

And come on, the best way to represent MM with a playable character is with the one who's prominently wearing the mask.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Luviant X Luviant X

Skull Kid has an appealing design, with the pointy shoes and the angularity of his straw hat. Tatl and Tael offer nice color contrast. Skull Kid's voice is immediately identifiable. Lots of things make Skull Kid a neat aesthetic character.

Majora's Mask is the meat and potatoes of what makes Skull Kid so interesting in MM, though. We certaintly can't have the mask by itself, and Skull Kid already has such a striking visual design anyways. I feel like this character is an alluring mix of things that we wouldn't get from any other SSB character. But yes, it admittedly comes down to the mask and its special flavor of fancy evil magic. It's just accentuated by how cool Skull Kid's shape and color scheme is.

And come on, the best way to represent MM with a playable character is with the one who's prominently wearing the mask.
Skull Kid does look cool. Though my question isn't about Skull Kid vs the Mask on who should be playable.

My question comes from those who think Skull kid supporters are mistaking their love for Skull Kid when they actually only want playable representation for MM, and Skull Kid just happens to be the best character to rep the game, not someone they actually care about.

But several posters have explained why they personally believe Skull Kid is much more than just the best character to rep the game.

It's more fun to discuss "why?" than simply bash/dismiss "stupid meme arguments."

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
People who had accurate information on the previous direct date have said the new date is September 13, check GameXplain video for the specific time and source.
Obviously I wish it had been sooner, but I can make it two more days. Here's just hoping nothing (else) leaks ahead of time...

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet
This argument's stupid because it's actually kind of true. The thing that makes Skull Kid a significant character in the Zelda franchise is his possession of Majora's Mask, making him the main antagonist of - wouldn't you know - Majora's Mask.

Okay? Where does the argument go from there? Is getting me to admit that the "gotcha" moment you were going for?

Majora's Mask is one of the most iconic images from gaming, and the visual of Skull Kid looking at his hand after putting on the Mask that is often depicted in artwork and merchandising is equally so.

So you're right. I'm not interested in the weird Tim Burton marionette from Twilight Princess. I am, in fact, interested in the Skull Kid, who utilizes the power of Majora's Mask to do some creepy and crazy stuff.
This
One of my favorite tropes is when a character who has no business having godlike powers gets them. Ganondorf was destined to be the king of evil. but a skull kid able to curse and hex whoever he wants to on a single whim, that's all sorts of terrifying.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

It's not a weird question at all. Majora controls Skull Kid, so technically you are playing as Majora, not Skull Kid. My favorite thing about Skull Kid is his presence. In Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf makes a few brief appearances, but you don't really face him until the very end. In Majora's Mask, you are constantly reminded of what Skull Kid is capable of when he wears the mask. One only needs to look at the sky. His 'pranks' follow you everywhere.

Also, while Skull Kid doesn't have much screentime, I find all of his encounters to be extremely memorable. Every time he shows up, Link is in grave danger. I never really got the feeling that someone like Ganondorf was imposing, because you usually face him at the end of the game, when you have become as powerful as possible. But Link encounters Skull Kid multiple times and there's often a sense of helplessness to it (becoming a weak Deku, the moon almost crashing).

I will admit that I don't really like Skull Kid when you separate him from the mask. But that works both ways: I don't like the mask without Skull Kid. But there's nothing wrong with that. They're a team and that's what makes them memorable. We have multiple characters like that in Smash (Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers) and I think people would care less about them if you took a member away.

My question comes from those who think Skull kid supporters are mistaking their love for Skull Kid when they actually only want playable representation for MM, and Skull Kid just happens to be the best character to rep the game, not someone they actually care about."
While I just explained why I'm fond of Skull Kid and the mask, I admit that I really want playable representation for Majora's Mask, and that I would easily accept other characters from that game, like the Happy Mask Salesman, Odolwa, Mikau or even Majora's Incarnation herself. But as you said it yourself, this is not a realistic expectation, so Skull Kid would be the most feasible choice. But once again, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There are people who want a Rhythm Heaven character, but have no idea who it should be. They just want to see a game they like having a playable rep, and most of them won't care if it's Karate Joe, Marshall or the Chorus Men. People can have all kinds of reasons for supporting characters, be it nostalgia, popularity, curiosity or representation.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Last edited:

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
You guys see this? EventHubs is reporting a rumor that Smash Blogs updates are doing some weird number things lately, and we've skipped a lot of numbers. Right in the middle of the blog updates that would have gone live during the Direct, Toon Link was set to have a character update. Zelda content in Direct, methinks? If anything, this provides even more evidence that Skull Kid will be making an appearance with the Zelda related stuff going live. With it being Toon Link, Tetra's chances also probably bumped up a lot more. Exciteds!

Keen-eyed fans have noticed that each blog update is numbered within the code. Thursday's update — Pokémon: Alolan Exeggutor — is blog update number 133. Meanwhile, Bowser is apparently labeled as the 142nd update. Finally, Toon Link's update is blog update 138 (while his memory in the Japanese version of the site is 139).

This means that updates 134, 135, 136, 137, 140, and 141 were outright skipped. Outside of this, blog updates 120 and 121 are the only other numbered entries that were skipped previously.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...ct-based-skipped-numbered-updates-smash-blog/

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That makes total sense. So we were supposed to get at least one character, maybe even two, in this Direct. Which lines up with a pair of leaks I read from two different people. One of them suggested we'd get Skull Kid, and one indicated Isaac. I think with the sun and moon theming, we might actually see a pair of reveal trailers!

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet
Yeah I thought I heard that a character takes up 3 entries so that would be 2 characters

Potato_

Smash Lord
Right in the middle of the blog updates that would have gone live during the Direct, Toon Link was set to have a character update. Zelda content in Direct, methinks?
I don't think it hints towards Zelda at all tbh. It's just another character update that would've gone up.
It DOES hint toward a newcomer for sure though. Newcomer + echo I think.

Double reveal (as in 2 newcomers) is possible but I doubt we'd get the same amount of newcomers in a regular direct as we did in a Smash centric one. It depends entirely on the amount of content that's left to reveal though, as if they have a lot of stuff left they could start jam-packing these directs with reveals.

I'm really getting the feeling that it comes down to either Isaac or Skull Kid for this one.

inb4 they confuse the **** out of everyone and show Geno.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I doubt there would be 3 new comers revealed (not including Echoes, I bet there would be at least one), but I thought of this idea IF there would be:

Sun: Isaac
Moon: Skull Kid/Majora's Mask (However it'll be named.)
Sun & Moon: Incineroar / Decidueye.

If there was some kind of play with the Sun and the Moon for the direct as a tease.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If I had to choose between the Mask and Skull Kid, I would definitely choose Skull Kid, they compliment each other well. But Skull Kid is the personality of the two. And it's not just a love for Majora's Mask that I love him, otherwise you'd see a lot more love for Tingle.

Skull Kid has a fun trickster personality with fun behaviour, add in the mask, that gets taken to the extreme. It's honestly not a clear cut possession as many think. It feels more like a manifestation than a possession. Because many things point to Skull Kid still having his personality present.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I doubt there would be 3 new comers revealed (not including Echoes, I bet there would be at least one), but I thought of this idea IF there would be:

Sun: Isaac
Moon: Skull Kid/Majora's Mask (However it'll be named.)
Sun & Moon: Incineroar / Decidueye.

If there was some kind of play with the Sun and the Moon for the direct as a tease.
Please keep Decidueye out of this thread. Haha It isn't even getting in and I doubt a Smash direct would use Sun and Moon via Pokémon, which it has already done. It will be done for Skull Kid, Isaac, not totally predictable.

Smash Apprentice
Please don't hype yourself up for 3 or even 2 newcomers. Blog posts also include music, trailers, and memories, and notices for updates. It's likely going to be one newcomer and one echo at the most.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I think that one character at the very beginning of the direct and one at the end (with Smash finishing the direct) is good.
Also, because of the delay, some things were revealed anyway (FF, Mega Man) so maybe we could have more Smash infos.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Please don't hype yourself up for 3 or even 2 newcomers. Blog posts also include music, trailers, and memories, and notices for updates. It's likely going to be one newcomer and one echo at the most.
YOU DON'T TELL ME NOT TO HYPE MYSELF! I'M GOING TO HYPE MYSELF SO MUCH THAT IT WILL BE DIFFICULT FOR ME NOT TO BE DISAPPOINTED!

WE ARE GETTING 2 NEWCOMERS AND 4 ECHOES MOTHER*******. GET HYPED!

Top Bottom