• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masahiro Sakurai Talks Edge Grabbing in Super Smash Brothers Wii U & 3DS

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Doesn't it seem a little silly though the way it currently is? As it stands right now, Marth would get higher thank Link, above the ledge, but would just watch the edge and be like "Oh ****, Link's hand is touching the ledge. Finder's keepers, loser's weepers. I'll get it next time." and altruistically let the ledge go? Doesn't it make sense for somebody about to fall on the ledge to push the person off the ledge that's already holding on to it?
To me to knock someone off is just different it's not what I grew up on

SwingDoom

Smash Rookie
I must say I'm intrigued. I wonder if individual Ice Climbers will take away each other's edge snap despite being essentially the same character.
So far the Ice Climbers have not been confirmed as a character in Smash 4.

churules7

Smash Rookie
Sakurai is always looking for a way to decimate competitive smash...I'm not too excited about this new mechanic

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Sakurai is always looking for a way to decimate competitive smash...I'm not too excited about this new mechanic
"decimate"? I figured this would aid competitive Smash. I heard more complaints against edgehogging and such than vice-versa. Many people seem to be happy with this update judging from the comments here and moreso on the other threads.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't take away edgehogging, but rather nerfs it by demanding the hogger to be more tactical and have better timing with hogging the edge. Looks like a good piece of balance.

So, FYI, this does help competitive Smash.

churules7

Smash Rookie
"decimate"? I figured this would aid competitive Smash. I heard more complaints against edgehogging and such than vice-versa. Many people seem to be happy with this update judging from the comments here and moreso on the other threads.
Really? Hmmm. From what I've heard edge hogging has been a fundamental tactic from the beginning of competitive melee...well actually melee itself as there is even an achievement for edge hogging in the game. I mean everybody from Kage to Axe to Hax to Mango to Armada to Ken, etc. have used edge hogging on numerous ocassions.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
To me to knock someone off is just different it's not what I grew up on
I realize that, but what I'm saying is that while we're used to what we grew up on, when you actually think about it, what we grew up on didn't make the most sense.

Str8Wu

Smash Cadet
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai has detailed new edge mechanics in Super Smash Brothers Wii U & 3DS! The new specifics offered by Sakurai are bulleted here:
  • Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
  • Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.
How will this change from Super Smash Brothers Brawl? Will the 'auto snapping' that plagued Brawl with frustrating edge mechanics return?

So either a very high percentage or a very low percentage will determine a long time span of invincibility on the ledge? they should of just kept it the same way in my opinion.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Really? Hmmm. From what I've heard edge hogging has been a fundamental tactic from the beginning of competitive melee...well actually melee itself as there is even an achievement for edge hogging in the game. I mean everybody from Kage to Axe to Hax to Mango to Armada to Ken, etc. have used edge hogging on numerous ocassions.
Of course it's a useful tactic, but it's easily exploited as a cheap way to play in many cases and makes tether recoveries almost useless. If I'm not mistaken, there are several characters with bad air game that suffer from edgehogging the most. I feel that this new feature will help Smashers to strategize and time jumps, recoveries, and such when trying to keep other players off the stage or getting back on yourself. It adds a fresh layer of depth and does help to balance characters and make things fair. I personally like it, at least, and I have yet to see how this will worsen the competitive scene.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I realize that, but what I'm saying is that while we're used to what we grew up on, when you actually think about it, what we grew up on didn't make the most sense.
Yeah but it's really what's the most fun and what can make the game top of fighting games. Everyone's still hooked on melee I say we need 2 modes one to replicate melee and one with a balance of the previous versions which is the new smash or at least an hd collection

FlaminBuddha

Smash Rookie
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai has detailed new edge mechanics in Super Smash Brothers Wii U & 3DS! The new specifics offered by Sakurai are bulleted here:
  • Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
  • Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.
How will this change from Super Smash Brothers Brawl? Will the 'auto snapping' that plagued Brawl with frustrating edge mechanics return?

I DON'T LIKE CHANGE

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yeah but it's really what's the most fun and what can make the game top of fighting games. Everyone's still hooked on melee I say we need 2 modes one to replicate melee and one with a balance of the previous versions which is the new smash or at least an hd collection
I doubt the ledge mechanics are specifically what makes the game fun. And it's not as if ledgehogging is gone, you just have to be precise now. You need to regrab the ledge at a specific and deliberate time now instead of sloppily grabbing the ledge and holding it for 5 seconds.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I doubt the ledge mechanics are specifically what makes the game fun. And it's not as if ledgehogging is gone, you just have to be precise now. You need to regrab the ledge at a specific and deliberate time now instead of sloppily grabbing the ledge and holding it for 5 seconds.
Ledge grabbing to me at least was part of the fight that had me on edge because I would become hesitant and have to perfectly time recoveries which was tough against good opponets but I don't think it's completly gone it's just easier for the person off the edge

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The fight's still there, you just have to be more deliberate and careful in your grabs. It takes a little more work to hog the ledge now.

churules7

Smash Rookie
Of course it's a useful tactic, but it's easily exploited as a cheap way to play in many cases and makes tether recoveries almost useless. If I'm not mistaken, there are several characters with bad air game that suffer from edgehogging the most. I feel that this new feature will help Smashers to strategize and time jumps, recoveries, and such when trying to keep other players off the stage or getting back on yourself. It adds a fresh layer of depth and does help to balance characters and make things fair. I personally like it, at least, and I have yet to see how this will worsen the competitive scene.
Good points lol. Imo, everybody's input and enthusiasm for the next smash brothers is really refreshing to see, especially after brawl's disappointment. I hope this does add a new level of complexity and edge guarding depth, though in regards to Sakurai himself, he's always disliked the competitive smash community, so I'm just being speculative. Hopefully it's for the best!

Top Bottom