• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Taunt: WTH does it mean?

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
This has pissed me off to no end for 6 freaking years: Does anyone here know what the **** marth is saying when he taunts? How bout when he wins a match, and blurts out a string of god-knows-what? If this has been posted before (which I assume it has; I just cant find it when I search "marth taunt"), please link me to the thread.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
I erased this because my post below has the meanings, as does everyone elses posts.

I just wasted 5 seconds of your life

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
"you are no match for my tipper"
Me take the gravy.
:laugh:

Minna, Mitete kure
it means: everyone, look out for me
Not Look at me. If he said minna, mite kure, it would mean everyone look at me, but if you listen he says te twice.

I might be wrong and just hearing the te twice, since on every marth thing ive been on people have said everyone, look at me. I doubt it though.
That actually sounds more right than the usual "Everybody, look at me!"

A guy at Brawl Central once said that his Japanese friend told him Marth's taunt translates as "Everybody watch me". Just thought I'd toss that in here.

I like SmashWiki's translations, as well:

SmashWiki's Marth entry said:
* Marth's taunt in battle is "みんな、見ていてくれ!" "Minna, miteite kure!" which translates to "Everyone, please look!".
* Marth's counter move is performed while saying "そこだ!" "Soko da", which roughly translates to "There it is!"; which means, he sees an opening to counter.
* Marth's three possible statements he makes with a victory pose after he wins a match are:
o "今回は僕の勝ちだね。" "Konkai wa boku no kachi da ne?" which translates to "This time it's my victory, isn't it?"
o "今日も生き延びることが出来た。" "Kyou mo ikinobiru koto ga dekita", which translates to "Today I have survived."
o "僕は負ける訳には行かないんだ。" "Boku wa makeru wake-ni wa ikanainda!" which translates to "There's no way I can lose!"
That takes care of his taunt, his victory sayings, and one of his Counter sayings.

Speaking of Counter, for the longest time I've wondered what he was actually saying whenever he does it. Last year (I think) I finally learned on GameFAQs (of all places!) what "Soko da!" means. :grin: This year (I think), I learned what the other two Counter sayings meant on Wikipedia:

Also, when Marth performs a counter in SSBM, he doesn't only say "Soko da" - he can say two other things. Can anyone translate the other two? -Cartoonmaster 00:19, 28 February 2007 (UTC)
Though I can't be sure without playing it right now I'm pretty sure when he counters he either says "soko da" or "saseru ka?" 86.129.241.207 18:11, 30 June 2007 (UTC)

Hm, it sounds something more like "Saseru mono ka", which, if "saseru" means "to make/let someone do" and "mono ka" is a strong negation comparable to "never," I'm gonna guess it means something like "I'll never let you!" or something?

Mm, here's confirmation: [[4]]

And "mikita" is how you spell the other one. (My instincts were right..hehe.. But it never hurts to check) Mikita means "I see through it [the attack]" because "mikiru" means "to see everything"

In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter for Wikipedia beyond knowing trivia now that the quotes are no longer here... But it's fun figuring it all out anyways, as a Marth cosplayer and fangirl ^_^ --Cartoonmaster 06:47, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
Original thread in the Talk page

"Saseru mono ka" is my favorite of his Counter sayings, BTW. :love:

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
After consulting 6 japanese people, I have learned that it has about six meanings, but the only two that really matter are "Everyone, look at me (Literally, Observe)" And "Everyone, watch out for me"

Watch out for me is slang, and look at me is the real meaning.

Starry might has everything right, just pay attention to his post, lol

Top Bottom